Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30
Results 871 to 891 of 891

Thread: The Mental Health thread - depression, bipolar, ADHD, you name it

  1. #871
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Herts, United Kingdom
    Posts
    829
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Shit @InsecureSpike . Hang in there.

    And yeah, all kinds of hallucinations can be fucking horrifying.
    I have terrifying OLFACTORY hallucinations related to seizures :/
    oh wow! that's gotta be horrible!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  2. #872
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,777
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    @reasons and probably a lot of other folks: this is probably worth a read https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...of-ocd/281260/ content warning for description of sexual/violent intrusive thoughts. The kind of thing the article outlines is normal, standard OCD stuff. I know more people with OCD who have struggled with this at least to some degree than who haven't.

  3. #873
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Thanks for that article, it helps put some things in perspective. After my son was born I actually went to a therapist because of intrusive thoughts because they were ramping up in both intrusiveness and frequency.

    This part, basically:
    Penzel explained his own litmus test for distinguishing between OCD and actual, dangerous impulses: "If you listen carefully, patients will agonize constantly over their obsessions, asking, 'Why am I having these thoughts; how do I know that I wouldn't do this; why would I be thinking it if I didn’t want to do it?'"
    "Most violent and dangerous people don’t sit there having these inner dialogues," he added.
    I knew I would never do these things but the people I shared the thoughts with only heard the action, not the 'I don't want to do this' part. Even the counselor thought that. I eventually found one that was more about treating me instead of the thoughts and that helped bring them down but it freaked my wife out a bit because I had to share some with her as part of it.

  4. #874
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,777
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    This is why I won't see a therapist anymore unless they have legitimate OCD familiarity, so typically I'm only open to seeing psychologists with CBT foundations, which can be hard when I just want to see someone to talk about life stuff since my OCD is pretty well managed at this point. But like, if people don't have familiarity it can be so bad. Have had some issues in the past with a therapist, learned from it.

    I generally won't talk about my intrusive thoughts, partially because it doesn't help, partially because of contamination ocd that makes me feel like discussing them "taints" shit around me, partially because of disgust and shame, and definitely partially because I find the idea of people thinking I *want* to do any of that shit to be horrifying and a totally not-okay and really problematic response for me to get from someone.

  5. #875
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Herts, United Kingdom
    Posts
    829
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    OK quick update,
    upped abilify to 15mg, and 2nd assessment, the Dr says I'm having periods of derealisation visual & derealisation auditory, but separately. and sometimes loss of time
    now this is as odd as I ever have been, not knowing if I can trust any slightly different noise I hear, the visual part not that much of a big deal, as it's just color change I see, but the time slips are worrying I kinda lost an hour Saturday night at work,

    on the upside I've been listening to quite a few albums that I wouldn't normally, just to keep me entertained lol and drown out any unwanted sounds


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  6. #876
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Portland, Ore
    Posts
    741
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    So....i really want to share something very dear to my heart.

    I wrote this song last week...and its probably the most personal song i have ever written and probably ever will.

    In 2015, i attempted suicide for the 5th time in my life and it was my 5th in the span of 3 years. I was a fucking mess. But this one was the worst because I had written out a suicide note for this one, so this one was dangerously close. I was going to slip my self to death. I had the knife up to my throat....i was ready to do it.

    ....and im still here, i never did do it. I just couldnt, and i finally realized that something was wrong with me, and i later found out that my body had gotten used to my antidepressives, so they stopped working. I stopped my old ones and got on new ones and ive been better since.

    but the lyrics to this song from the starting lines until the part where i change my mind about wanting to die are actually from my note, I dont have it with me but i still remember every word...so i literally had to rewrite my suicide note....which was real fucking fun to do.

    I havent sung the vocals yet, its still...to hard for me to think about, but i di record the music and i will post the rough draft lyrics below

    https://adecadeinoblivion.bandcamp.c...trumental-demo

    "Please forgive me for what i am about to do
    I did this for youI gave my life up
    I gave my life to stop the numb
    I gave my life now
    I just cant seem ever stop all the thoughts of hurting you
    I failed at life to sing the song, of a life i once knew
    I fell so hard for looking up
    Head was stuck in the clouds
    Stare at the sun for a good whil
    enot a single ray of light
    .That can be ever traced to me
    In a decade of miles
    So please
    Let me bleed
    The rest of what i once thought to be me
    So when you find me
    Once full of life now full of blight
    ......No
    This is not how it will end
    .I wont end like this
    Kill pain with agony
    just wont do anything for me
    Ill take it head on
    A risk i know is hell to take
    but ill do it for you
    I kept my life to show you mine
    in a world so cold
    I kept on going so i could find, someone else like you
    and tell them i'll be there for you
    So please
    Show me where it hurts the most
    Im not what most will ever get a chance to see
    I dont know you
    And i dont care
    But i know i do
    and that's why im here"
    Last edited by Dryalex12; 08-20-2018 at 01:59 PM.

  7. #877
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    5,616
    Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    I'm fading.

  8. #878
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)


    Positive thoughts via song lyrics.

  9. #879
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I'm fading.
    <3

  10. #880
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    BBC Horizon documentary, "Stopping Male Suicide":

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06hqvrw

  11. #881
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

  12. #882
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    7,539
    Mentioned
    356 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    pearls before swine has been my favorite comic strip for years, particularly when stephen pastis puts himself in there just to have rat insult him.

  13. #883
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I was diagnosed with ptsd last spring and still have difficulty managing it every day. The worst part is the panic attacks that cause stomach cramps and dizziness, it interferes with too much of my life. I often have to stop what I'm doing every 20-30 minutes to relax or use the bathroom. Sometimes I lay down for an hour until it goes away.

    I looked up often how to get rid of panic attacks or control them. Also looked up what people did to manage ptsd. Some of it has helped but I lose in the fight for control most of the time.

    If anyone has this problem or knows someone who does, I'm wondering what works for you guys

  14. #884
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    7,539
    Mentioned
    356 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ton View Post
    I was diagnosed with ptsd last spring and still have difficulty managing it every day. The worst part is the panic attacks that cause stomach cramps and dizziness, it interferes with too much of my life. I often have to stop what I'm doing every 20-30 minutes to relax or use the bathroom. Sometimes I lay down for an hour until it goes away.

    I looked up often how to get rid of panic attacks or control them. Also looked up what people did to manage ptsd. Some of it has helped but I lose in the fight for control most of the time.

    If anyone has this problem or knows someone who does, I'm wondering what works for you guys
    music, being around people who understand and can have patience, finding something to focus on that is stimulating (i.e. playing an engaging video game that isn't too stressful)...it's really situational, though. sometimes i just need to wait out the panic attack because nothing helps. i know that's not helpful other than that i'm saying solidarity, my friend.

  15. #885
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    music, being around people who understand and can have patience, finding something to focus on that is stimulating (i.e. playing an engaging video game that isn't too stressful)...it's really situational, though. sometimes i just need to wait out the panic attack because nothing helps. i know that's not helpful other than that i'm saying solidarity, my friend.
    I understand and I'm sorry you go through a similar thing. It's not easy at all. Yeah, I do tend to just wait it out.. sometimes when I engage in an activity to distract myself, it makes me panic even more (as you said). I never had this problem before until like 4-5 years ago. It seems my past life was like another world. Idk, I'm rambling now.

    I am getting help from my psychiatrist and a special nurse. Sometimes the medicine helps but I may have to go under certain types of therapy to get better.

  16. #886
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Minnesota
    Posts
    1,228
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Shit is fucking hard sometimes.

  17. #887
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Safe Distance
    Posts
    3,596
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    I know I don't always say the right things, or make mistakes or even blunders when my emotions are wrecked or when I simply have no idea what I'm doing out of sheer ignorance, but this thread certainly reminds me that like words, emotions and thoughts also hold so much power, and to not take that for granted because you never know just how much of an impact you might also be to others, aside from yourself. (Oh, and sometimes I can't believe that things I tell myself, but I still can't seem to shake feeling like I don't matter or that everybody would actually be better off without me or just fine to say the least. Perhaps I still want to find some type of ultimate purpose out there, whatever that might be.)

    I'm also still trying to survive as well, but also hope to live too, and have appreciated the advice and suggestions this thread had to offer so far. What I've also still taken from this topic altogether is that kindness not only goes a long way, but no act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted, especially in regards to empathy and compassion.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-15-2018 at 07:43 PM.

  18. #888
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    @reasons and probably a lot of other folks: this is probably worth a read https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...of-ocd/281260/ content warning for description of sexual/violent intrusive thoughts. The kind of thing the article outlines is normal, standard OCD stuff. I know more people with OCD who have struggled with this at least to some degree than who haven't.
    Thanks, this article is good in that it goes to show just how intimidating it can be when it comes to opening up and seeking help. In Canada they always spend an entire week focusing on mental health "Mental Illness Awareness Week", helping those who need help, setting up a phone line, and collecting donations... but I always feel left behind and not-helped once the party is over. I don't think "they" truly understand how difficult it is to take that first step. Texting #Help to 545-3333 isn't a solution, but it's a start. Also mental health is more than just suicide and being bi-polar.

    The story above about the high school exposing the authors publication as a teen and then suspending her is very sad.

    I think more needs to be done to help teens in high school talk with a counselor and feel 100% comfortable and private; no matter what. I came within inches of opening up when I was young, the counselor just had to re-re-reassure me the discussion was between us only no matter what. I was scared to death my mother and father would find out how "sick" I was.

    I think if we can get help earlier on it may help with dealing with issues early on, and setting up a plan for a life time of proper support if needed.

    In my high school the counselors office and doorway was IN THE CAFETERIA!!! No one dared being caught or seen going in there, way too embarrassing.

  19. #889
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Safe Distance
    Posts
    3,596
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    People-pleasing has still been a problem of mine because it's come to the point where I do it without even realizing it. I think that's also why I kept basing my happiness and value as a person on the things I can do for others, the things I can give to others and the amount of people that like me and agree with me. This is also connected to seeking a lot of external validation, especially in terms of accomplishments and accolades, yet even such claims to greatness can still very well be vanity.

    This is just one of the many issues I felt like sharing here, even though I try as much as possible to keep it to myself these days, since I often feel like I'm either a burden or that nobody really cares anyway as well as being constantly reminded that I shouldn't overshare, since that also leads to nosiness and potential cans of worms being opened. This has also sometimes lead me to isolate myself, because sometimes I wonder what the actual point of my presence/existence around others is anyway, especially if I have absolutely nothing important or worthwhile to offer.

    It's also why it was even easier to talk when other people give me a reason to talk as well. Otherwise, I just keep to myself or leave altogether.

    -I also wanted to include this point, but I also didn't want to bump the thread just yet.-

    This definitely isn't anything new, and I was always my own worst critic and enemy, but it still hits as hard as ever. What I'm referring to is my mind and heart at night. It tells me all sorts of horrible things, whether real or imagined. It even gets hard to tell the difference. It's one thing if I'm already asleep or if I'm also occupied at night, but this is why my thoughts and emotions eat me up when I just can't sleep and have nothing else to do. It's definitely a lethal/volatile combination of scary and depressing.

    It also doesn't help that I sometimes have this awful tendency of incessantly wondering and worry if I'm often offensive, annoying and boring to other people.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-23-2018 at 03:54 PM. Reason: I didn't want to bump the thread so soon.

  20. #890
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    7,539
    Mentioned
    356 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    People-pleasing has still been a problem of mine because it's come to the point where I do it without even realizing it. I think that's also why I kept basing my happiness and value as a person on the things I can do for others, the things I can give to others and the amount of people that like me and agree with me. This is also connected to seeking a lot of external validation, especially in terms of accomplishments and accolades, yet even such claims to greatness can still very well be vanity.

    This is just one of the many issues I felt like sharing here, even though I try as much as possible to keep it to myself these days, since I often feel like I'm either a burden or that nobody really cares anyway as well as being constantly reminded that I shouldn't overshare, since that also leads to nosiness and potential cans of worms being opened. This has also sometimes lead me to isolate myself, because sometimes I wonder what the actual point of my presence/existence around others is anyway, especially if I have absolutely nothing important or worthwhile to offer.

    It's also why it was even easier to talk when other people give me a reason to talk as well. Otherwise, I just keep to myself or leave altogether.
    sometimes when you write stuff i feel like you're my doppelganger

  21. #891
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    san fransisco
    Posts
    1,270
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    trying to kick recurring patterns of depression when it kicks in,i tend to isolate behaviors of self destruction, like drinking, and the like, general not caring about anything. might be time for a news fast. think I'll roll a few joints see if that helps, find it less destructive than alcohol. hate when you see things clearly. know what's going on and helpless to effect it. well Psyche session tomorrow. so there's that. think I'll get stoned and journal.
    -louie

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions