Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36
Results 1,051 to 1,061 of 1061

Thread: The Mental Health thread - depression, bipolar, ADHD, you name it

Mentioned
    820 Post(s)
    @Jinsai hereís a secret that I discovered, that lots of people have discovered, as far as medication goes:

Your primary physician can dispense psych drugs. Which is better than nothing. You have anxiety, panic attacks, etc. An Internist can deal with this, and itís covered by insurance. BECAUSE psychiatrists arenít covered by insurance, internal medicine has been filling that role. Perhaps not the greatest thing, but itís better than NO thing.

I echo what has been said, above, though: Medication is no substitute for therapy. Therapy is a separate thing that is totally essential in these circumstances, and therapists often work on a sliding scale on whatever insurance doesnít cover.

Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    thanks to everyone for the advice... I've gotta try something. this isn't sustainable. I mean, man, I just woke up and it's 1:30... I've never really been like this. Yesterday I woke up at 5am. I feel insane

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    thanks to everyone for the advice... I've gotta try something. this isn't sustainable. I mean, man, I just woke up and it's 1:30... I've never really been like this. Yesterday I woke up at 5am. I feel insane
    Meds can help as a bridge until you can find help which works for you. For me, 2 weeks of xanax was an absolute blessing when I was in a really rough spot. But everyone is different. Meds which helped me might make you worse overall. But I bet there is something available which can help short term.

I know how difficult things can be wrt insurance and psych. Although it is way better now than it was before Obamacare. When I really needed help about 20 years ago, my insurance (absolute best policy available then) refused to cover therapy because I did not have a physiological or biochemical diagnosis. What a crock.

In addition to traditional psych practitioners, also consider other options. A friend you have not seen in a very long time (who owes you a favor perhaps). Family including distant family who you don't really know. Pastor or other religious leader, even if you don't "belong" to that particular brand of religion.

All of the above are actual examples which helped me when I was in a really rough spot. I really hope you find the support you need!

Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    In addition to traditional psych practitioners, also consider other options. A friend you have not seen in a very long time (who owes you a favor perhaps). Family including distant family who you don't really know. Pastor or other religious leader, even if you don't "belong" to that particular brand of religion.
    I think socializing is something I need to do... This quarantine hasn't helped make anything better, but I'm really hoping there's a magic pill that kills these panic/anxiety attacks. So far, the only thing I've found that works is edibles/THC/CBD. Even then, it's an hour of hell before it kicks in and subsides, and that's really expensive.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    @Jinsai I won't pretend to know what you're experiencing or going through because that would just invalidate your pain. I do feel for you and am concerned. Whatever happens, please don't hurt yourself. I say that out of love. It's up to you whether or not you want to get some help - I mean it can be patronizing for others like me to give advice on how to make your life better. I'm not in your shoes. I just hope there is answer or solution you can find. I'll be here listening to your talks like many other members are.

Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    I appreciate it... I'm not going to hurt myself or do anything like that... I guess I might just check myself into a hospital if I can't find some other cure. It's not consistent enough to warrant it though. Right now, I'm doing ok. I'm shaken up, but I'm fine. Maybe I'll be fine for a couple days, maybe a week, maybe a few hours, I don't know. I know eventually it'll happen again though and, I dunno... I need to see a doctor anyway. It's been a while.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Maybe this will also help a bit...

A few times in my life I've felt in free fall and everything was was in flux. I needed to rebuild my life again. So I kept things very simple and dug deep to figure out the priorities and rebuild a stable foundation with those in mind. Medication did help with that to a degree but the psychological aspects of me were actually pretty good. The things I could not change I have resolved to the best of my ability (the situational or environmental aspects) and they don't weigh me down any more (it wouldn't be for another like, seven years to figure out the actual cause my depressions, acute chronic pain that just sapped the dopamine from my day to day life... and when it got waaay too low, then I would cyclically take the meds until I felt "better" and then I'd stop taking them and the pain wouldn't be masked any more and thus starting the path again).

Therapy is good if you can connect with a therapist... or one that actually holds you accountable for your actions (including inactions). Until the past traumas have been resolved, not much can change for the future. Some traumas take time... take a lot of time (sometimes even the amount of time from trauma incident to realization/acknowledgement of trauma).

Of course, some individuals also kept caught in trauma loops (parents of missing or murdered children) and their quest for resolution needs professional guidance out of it.

I'm not saying forgive and forget when I say resolve, I just mean coming to a resolution that makes sense to you without negatively impacting day to day life.

Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    woke up with another anxiety/panic/whatever-this-is... looking at some of my posts in here, and I'm all over the place. I really do think I need to talk to someone, and it can't be a friend or family or whatever. For an informed but objective/distanced opinion and perspective at least.

Mentioned
    345 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    woke up with another anxiety/panic/whatever-this-is... looking at some of my posts in here, and I'm all over the place. I really do think I need to talk to someone, and it can't be a friend or family or whatever. For an informed but objective/distanced opinion and perspective at least.
    Rather than approaching a health care provider and finding out they're not covered by your insurance, have you approached your insurance and asked them for a list of providers? When I went to therapy, that was the approach I took. At the time, I called some number associated with my insurance, dialed through a few menus, and eventually chatted with someone who pointed me to their website, where I was able to create an account and filter through a list of providers.

Thanks for keeping us posted. You're going to get through this - it's going to suck, no two ways about that, but you'll get through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My sleeping pattern hasn't been ordinary for as long as I can remember, and for just as long I've been trapped behind frosted glass, sleep being an even deeper layer of disconnection means that I loathe it. Lately I've been wrought with awful nightmares that sometimes have me waking up gasping for air, as though I hadn't been breathing for the past five minutes. I feel some of this pain you describe, Jinsai.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Not sure this may even be an option now but I went to the local universities family counseling center when I was in a spot some years back. Kid I talked to was a grad student but seemed decent enough and they had other staff onsite as well. They worked on a sliding pay scale as well, cost me like $15 a session. As mentioned it was helpful to get different perspective on things. At the time I also wrote out a lot of the thoughts and feelings I was having on my laptop of which I would read and then delete it just to sort purge my brain a bit.