Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mental Health thread - depression, bipolar, ADHD, you name it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was just wondering how people first started getting some sort of treatment for depression? Is it as easy as just going to the Doctor? I'm scared of being told I'm overreacting or if I'm just acting like an idiot. Lately, I feel more and more like this is more than just sadness and I don't know if I should do anything about it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3:15 View Post
    I was just wondering how people first started getting some sort of treatment for depression? Is it as easy as just going to the Doctor? I'm scared of being told I'm overreacting or if I'm just acting like an idiot. Lately, I feel more and more like this is more than just sadness and I don't know if I should do anything about it.
    I don't think any doctor will tell you that you're overreacting, etc. Depression is a pretty common thing in our society these days, so much that we have TONS of prescription drugs to deal with it and even your primary physician can prescribe those drugs or, at least, will refer you to somebody who can talk with you about how you're feeling. If a doctor tells you that you're overreacting or acting like an idiot, RUN ... and find another doctor.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Without the drugs I'd never survive this winter — this would be seasonal depression overdrive.

Not that I'm sure I'll survive this with the drugs. Today I was moved to tell someone "you had me at 'spring'" with no irony at all.

Aaaaaand I'm still finding nortriptyline residue in my laptop.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    sigh

This weeks episode of "Better Call Saul" has hit a nerve of some kind. I have these feelings.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    You absolutely should. I did the same thing with anxiety issues 4 years ago and the treatment has improved the quality of my life 100%.

Oh, and I would recommend to a doctor who specializes in such things (psychiatrist) who is able to prescribe appropriate meds, etc. If you are looking more for talk-therapy then a licensed PhD would be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 3:15 View Post

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I feel completely cut off from everybody in my life.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I feel completely cut off from everybody in my life.
    i'm sorry, aggro. the worst part about my mental illness (bipolar type 2, severe anxiety) is the systematic isolation. it took about four years -- most of my friends tried until they just couldn't anymore. my phone rarely makes a sound aside from my husband and mom these days.

i don't know if you're going through something similar, but i can say that i've felt the same way.
    Last edited by kel; 03-31-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I've settled on a plan to get me out. You know I've tried to listen to every piece of advice that I've come across, with desperation, but it doesn't seem to work. So the only choice I have is, escape....and as much as that hurts....and it does, oh trust me it hurts so much...hahahahaaaaa....this sounds desperate.
    That's cool. Of course it would. But meeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fuck it
    Last edited by somethingelse; 04-05-2015 at 11:18 AM.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somethingelse View Post
    I've settled on a plan to get me out. You know I've tried to listen to every piece of advice that I've come across, with desperation, but it doesn't seem to work. So the only choice I have is, escape....and as much as that hurts....and it does, oh trust me it hurts so much...hahahahaaaaa....this sounds desperate.
    That's cool. Of course it would. But meeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fuck it
    Hey dude. What's going on?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somethingelse View Post
    Talk this one out with us please?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I have never been better in a long time. I am one year into a relationship with a beautiful woman, and I just recently got a full time job as a healthcare assistant in a cancer hospice.
    I still need to take my various medication every day, and I still visit my psychiatric consultant once a month but all is good right now.
    I stopped smoking cannabis a year ago and managed to find a very nice flat in an area of town that I want to live in.
    Things are good for me...and it can be for you too!

I'm still watching you guys. Stay strong people!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    So yeah, I don't know if anybody remembers me around here these days but, I've been trying to act normal these past 5 years and I've failed miserably. I'm bored and acting weird again. I'm sorry in advance for the bag of crazy I'm about to unleash on you guys.

I've been writing John Wick fan fiction and I think I'm pregnant but I'm not really. Yeah, that's weird. Shoot me your e-mail if you guys want to read it. k.

xoxoxoxox
    -Angie

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I think I remember @allegro talking about you...

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    @Leviathant as well.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Awwwwwwwwww

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I hope you get the help you need. For real. I struggle with my own issues so I am not making fun of you or judging. It's rough. All this time and technology and nobody can really ever figure out the brain.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Real Talk:

I'm really just trying to be myself these days. I have been really lost and depressed these past 5 years and I think now I'm coming back around and I really do feel like myself again. So yeah, in a weird way, I am happy. My situation in life is bad, as it always has been but, I do feel good.

Even if the people around me struggle to understand who I am as a person, I'm done trying to explain that I'm just not interested in socializing. I really hate it. It can be fun sure, but maintaining that social life and the people and relationships is hard. I have a INFJ type personality which is apparently the rearrest (whatever that means) which honestly makes complete sense to me.

I started writing and musing again, I hadn't done that in a long while... so really, I think it's just about accepting yourself and who you are and what gives you that peace and happiness. Just, try not to fight yourself to comply with other people. Even if in the end you feel alone, you're not really.
    Last edited by Lunatica; 04-19-2015 at 07:07 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatica View Post
    So yeah, I don't know if anybody remembers me around here these days but, I've been trying to act normal these past 5 years and I've failed miserably. I'm bored and acting weird again. I'm sorry in advance for the bag of crazy I'm about to unleash on you guys.

I've been writing John Wick fan fiction and I think I'm pregnant but I'm not really. Yeah, that's weird. Shoot me your e-mail if you guys want to read it. k.

xoxoxoxox
    -Angie
    OH MY GOD I've MISSED YOU *sob* xoxoxoxoxo hug

This board is NOT the same without you.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The hardest part I had with accepting myself was accepting what happened in the past and realizing I can't change any of it so I better make the best of what it churned out.

P.S. It's great to read you here again Lunatica!!!

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatica View Post
    So yeah, I don't know if anybody remembers me around here these days but...
    WOOHOO! Welcome back!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Good to see you again, Luna!

I've been doing a lot of soul searching and I've realised that my depression has been back for about eight months and I just pushed it aside. I also think there may be some undiagnosed anxiety disorder going on - I hate dealing with people I don't know as of late and I've started having panic attacks in the last few months. A trip to the doctor soon may be on the cards...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Honestly, I really hate the physical aspect of depression the most. I can understand why I'm depressed about something, but my body doesn't and that really, really sucks. I hate the medication. I have a shitty uterus so it's most likely hormonal. I know these things but I can't really do much about it except ride out the wave and hope I have the energy to clean my room tomorrow. You know? It really sucks.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    It's funny: after a period of serenity, of feeling OK, I can feel my mind fighting to find ways to bring me down again.
    There's like this part of me that won't let me stay happy: it says OK, it's misery time again, and here we go.
    I don't get it. I can see it happening and I don't understand why it has to be this way.
    I need to stay happy and avoid anxiety...not just because I want to, but also for my health: I need to recover and get to full health, I can't afford to be dragged down again right now.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    OH MY GOD I've MISSED YOU *sob* xoxoxoxoxo hug

This board is NOT the same without you.
    I echo that sentiment!!! COMO ME PODISTES DEJAR SOLA CON ESTOS GRINGOS?? xoxoxoxo

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I used to self-harm a lot when I was younger, last time was around 4 years ago. I never really understood why or what would give me the urge to do it, but it would just happen. I get the different reasons why people do and suggestions as to why and on an intellectual level they make sense to me but emotionally it seems really abstract. I'm really ashamed to admit this and embarrassed and disappointed with myself but I know everyone here is very caring and great and no one's ever been remotely awful towards me and I could use some advice so I'll just say it, which is that I found myself doing it again for the first time in years a few days ago. I don't even know why. It didn't even feel like I was having that rough of a day. I've been much more depressed in the past week and even days since than I was then. It just seemed like it happened. I don't want to do it, I understand full well how not healthy it is and how it helps nothing, but I just want to know if anyone here can offer some suggestions as to what to do to avoid doing it entirely.

Related I guess which is I've started drinking for the first time in my life in recent weeks. My family on both sides has a long-standing history of alcoholism and addiction and I know I have that trait in me; everything I like in life I always get as much of as I can. If something feels good to me I seem to want to get as much of that feeling as possible. I apparently really, really love being intoxicated. A few nights after my ex broke up with me before she had moved out I ended up at a party for the first time (I've certainly never been all too socially popular or friends with the kinds of people typically going to them) and got drank a lot, very quickly, and it was like all of my problems didn't exist or didn't matter and everything seemed in perspective. I understood that it was a temporary effect and not really how I feel at all, but in the moment it was the best feeling of relief from myself. All my anxiety washed away. I was suddenly so out-going, so happy to be around people. A few nights later I got invited out again (who knew going out would lead to being invited to things more often?) and found out my real love was whiskey, where I downed about a third of a bottle rapidly and stupidly. I spent the rest of the night alternating between total serenity and physical pain. The awful thing is despite being well aware of how not okay this is and how bad it is for me, how it's all temporary and will just create long term issues, I want to do it more. I can totally feel that gene in my system kicking in or at least ready to. How do I manage being able to drink without it becoming an issue? How do I find that balance between what's too much or not enough? I could really just use advice into how not to end up addicted to things.

It's simply seems like everything that helps me feel better in the short term makes things worse in the long term.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Do you cut when you drink? Or do you do it sober?

The only time I ever did it I was on Paxil and apparently depression and suicidal tendencies was one of its side effects which is bizarre. I stopped taking that shit needless to say...

But therapy does help, you just have to take it seriously. Don't close yourself off because you think you know everything, you might know everything there is to know about alcoholism and addiction but until you get therapy and really understand what it does to you on a very personal level you're not going to get any better. Don't let it get any worse that it starts affecting the people around you, take care of your shit.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I went to see the doctor last week (tuesday) with the primary goal of getting myself on some pills that could help with depression. It's just kind of getting out of hand. He says that we should start up on some medication, but he doesn't want to quickly just prescribe something too hastily... so I'm going in again next tuesday.

This just sucks, and I really hope I get the scrip for something that works on tuesday... because even then, it's probably going to take a week or something before I get any results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey. I'm one of the few who have high-functioning autism... Or Asperger's Syndrome. I don't know the differences. Anyways, I have trouble letting go, making rational decisions and well; kind of have a problem expressing things. I don't know if there's a cure for genetics but one of the benefits of living in this era is that they get to extend your life so that you live forever enough so that there's a cure to get rid of the troublesome parts of Autism.

At least, that's what I'm afraid of.

Not asking for special treatment, just treat me like you usually would a normal person.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I went to see the doctor last week (tuesday) with the primary goal of getting myself on some pills that could help with depression. It's just kind of getting out of hand. He says that we should start up on some medication, but he doesn't want to quickly just prescribe something too hastily... so I'm going in again next tuesday.

This just sucks, and I really hope I get the scrip for something that works on tuesday... because even then, it's probably going to take a week or something before I get any results.
    I have read that it takes an average of two to three weeks for depression meds to really make a huge difference. Is this doc doing talk therapy, too?

I'm really glad you're getting some help.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I have read that it takes an average of two to three weeks for depression meds to really make a huge difference. Is this doc doing talk therapy, too?
    I don't remember how long it took the last time I tried some meds... but I remember noticing a difference a little over a week in. It took about a month to feel like it was really settled in... then at one point it just seemed to stop working.

I'm having general talking sessions as well. He has some really good perspectives and deep insight into things, without being over the top or invasive.

I'm really glad you're getting some help.
    Thanks. I hope it works.