Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming and Technology News

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    The more i read into this and hear people talk, the more i'm starting to feel like this isn't going to be "for everyone" like they pitched but just those lucky few with good enough internet and infrastructure to avoid lag/latency...i really can't see this working as a business if (by what people are saying) most people in the US can't even get the basic internet required to us it, and even those that can will have another charge to pay Google on top of an already expensive internet package. Google must be aware of this and have a plan...right?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    FUCKING HELL How...how is this even going to work for most of America?! Are Google going to install and start charging for their own internet?
    Google Fiber has been a thing for a while . As a side note, Peoria, Illinois was a candidate for Google Fiber in 2010 (we lost).

Cable has had a monopoly in this area since the 1970's; we finally got fiber in 2014, but hey, it's not available in most of Peoria because of territory clauses or some such BS. The reason I explain all of this is because the situation here is not even close to unique as far as the United States. If you don't live in a "major" city, or lucky enough to live in an area that was chosen for FIOS or Google Fiber, you're kind of screwed. Or you spend $200 a month for Internet.
    Last edited by Jon; 03-21-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Google Fiber has been a thing for a while . As a side note, Peoria, Illinois was a candidate for Google Fiber in 2010 (we lost).

Cable has had a monopoly in this area since the 1970's; we finally got fiber in 2014, but hey, it's not available in most of Peoria because of territory clauses or some such BS. The reason I explain all of this is because the situation here is not even close to unique as far as the United States. If you don't live in a "major" city, or are lucky enough to live in an area that was chosen for FIOS or Google Fiber, you're kind of screwed. Or you spend $200 a month for Internet.
    That's crazy! I thought our internet was bad and poorly done, but it really sounds like alot of the US has been REALLY screwed, especially as the internet is so vital to so many peoples lives now!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    FUCKING HELL How...how is this even going to work for most of America?! Are Google going to install and start charging for their own internet?
    probably

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm not hyped on this... It sounds like Playstation Now / Remote Play... which works with some games fine and not so great with ones that need quick timing and fast reflexes. It's fine as an addendum to an option you can play locally.

And even then, while PSNow lets you download games to your system to improve performance, I'm cancelling my subscription. It's not worth it, mainly because there isn't enough content on it that I don't already have, and this Google system sounds like it'll take a while to even catch up with that.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Pretty much what Jinsai said.

Where I live, we only have a few options with being in the same boat as what Jon stated above. Fiber is only available in certain areas, forcing people to go for the other only overpriced option that offers terrible packages for speeds they claim are "Fastest".

The claims they are making are some big ones to follow through with. At least we have the Atari VCS to look forward... to....?
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 03-21-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    So these aren't necessarily the same thing, but we have:

Steam Link Anywhere
    Microsoft xCloud
    Google Stadia

Now there's rumors going around that Wal-Mart is interested in starting a cloud gaming service.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Digital Foundry had nice first impressions video:

Interesting part is that "your" computer can be configured to have more GPUs and CPUs... can feel some potential for... something there.

But, internet speed is overrated, what's important is ping and stability. Why all stream video players cache stuff? Because with internet, nothing is guaranteed, when will next data packet arrive, and will it at all? I remember the pain when my internet connection dropped for 1 second while in "pro" simrace (e.g. Live for Speed), hours of training, being right there with all info about tyres and fuel and strategy and laps remaining, and suddenly staring at the disconnect screen with dead wheel in hands. Do you have connection without drops? I don't think anybody does, not for that money, it just doesn't show with "normal" use.

Update: Also discussed in latest "Linux Tech Tips" youtube WAN show.
    Last edited by Substance242; 03-23-2019 at 06:56 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    So as it currently stands we have these monthly fee gaming services...

PS Now (streaming mainly)
    Xbox All Access
    EA Play
    Google Statida (Streaming only)
    Apple Arcade

with Amazon and Wallmart (yes wallmart) yet to show off their services, anyone else think the market getting a little clustered already?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Streaming in general has turned into a incessant clusterfuck.

This is exactly how people turn back to piracy. If anything, it's making me extremely picky as to what I subscribe to.

Out of all of those, the only I care for is PS Now and it's 90% because of Bloodborne hah. Free games I'll likely never end up playing are cool too though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I just got a TCL ROKU 55’ 4K TV and i plan on getting a Xbox One X next week. I’ve never played 4K, so will I see a vast difference? I’m really looking forward to it!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburningreptile View Post
    I just got a TCL ROKU 55’ 4K TV and i plan on getting a Xbox One X next week. I’ve never played 4K, so will I see a vast difference? I’m really looking forward to it!
    You will notice a difference, but nowhere near the jump from 480 to 1080. There are charts floating around that take in to account human eyesight, viewing distance, and resolution of display. These charts suggest "most" people would need a TV of 62" or larger to really begin to see the difference between 1080 and 4K. This is at an average viewing of 8-12 feet away.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Exclusive: What to Expect From Sony's Next-Gen Playstation

- Not coming out in 2019
    - CPU = 3rd Gen Ryzen with new Zen 2 microarchitecture
    - GPU = Radeon Navi variant, with ray-tracing capabilities
    - 3D audio without extra hardware.
    - Support for 8K
    - Built-in SSD!!!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    SquareEnix is finally showing off their Avengers project at E3 next week.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So yeah holy shit, Game Pass Ultimate is bonkers. I just upgraded and confirmed with Xbox that it's one roll up monthly charge of $16.99 CDN. Buuuuut since I was already paying $13.99 for Game Pass, and had prepaid a year of Xbox Live ($6/month) until Feb 2020, they won't start billing until whatever prepaid Live time you had left. So I pay nothing until March 2020 and get it all. AND instead of $13.99 and about $6 a month, it's a flat $16.99 too. Dang.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    HOLY FUCK NUGGETS there are a LOAD of games coming the end of this year that are on my "i'd like to play that day one" list)

Borderlands 3 - Sept 13th (...day one? Maybe, i might be able to wait on this one. Again this could be 40-70 hours depending on how into it i get)
    Trails of Cold Steel 3 - Sept 27th (Day one...again, the first 2 are AMAZING, but this is an easy 120+ hours)
    Code Vain - Sept 27th (This could be another long one, maybe up to 100 hours)

Outer Worlds - Oct 25th (Day one and another 100+ hours if it lives up to the promise)

Pokemon Sword - Nov 15th (day one purchase, 100+ hours easy)
    Star Wars Fallen Order - Nov 15th (i really like the look of this, probably a 10-20 hour game maybe??)
    Doom Eternal - Nov 22nd (Doom 2016 was FANTASTIC so this is another day one purchase, maybe 10-20 hours???)

...i dunno where i'm going to find the time honestly!

Updated with confirmed dates, Might have to leave ToCS3 for a bit until they announce the 4th's release date, giving me most of October for Code Vein and BL3. Try and blast though Outer Words in time for Pokemon and leave Doom/SW for christmas...that's the plan anyway!
    Last edited by Haysey_Draws; 06-11-2019 at 02:49 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Here's something interesting. The major console platforms are going to start requiring all future games that utilize Loot Boxes to disclose the odds for all possible contents: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/...loot-box-odds/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Here's something interesting. The major console platforms are going to start requiring all future games that utilize Loot Boxes to disclose the odds for all possible contents: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/...loot-box-odds/
    Hmm that is pretty interesting. Everyone knows it's been a point of contention for like 2-3 years now but this is a slippery slope point methinks lol.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Anyone been following the clusterfuck of a story about Blizzard and the China Protests? Shit's getting wild!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    "video game plays itself, player dies of boredom"

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Anyone been following the clusterfuck of a story about Blizzard and the China Protests? Shit's getting wild!
    I wanted to delete my account with them because i was never much of a Blizzard fan anyways and you can't even do that without giving them your fucking government ID.

NOPE.

Not doing that.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    If the game seemly is playing itself...where's the fun? This seems especially dumb when you consider fighting games. Nope from me.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I wanted to delete my account with them because i was never much of a Blizzard fan anyways and you can't even do that without giving them your fucking government ID.

NOPE.

Not doing that.
    If something good does come from this it's that people are now realising just how much influence Chinese companies, and by extension the Chinese government, have over gaming now. All the backlash with censorship aimed at SJW's and american companies were more likely moves to get games into china, and the amount of companies that are either part invested or just outright owned by Chinese companies is alarming! It's a massive wake up call.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    There's something i've just seen floating around on socials, Blizzards official response in china. It basically says the same as the western one, very harsh sounding, but ends with "We will defend the pride and dignity of china at all costs"

...FUCKING HELL! I....I really have NO words for that...the are bowing to the Chinese government SO HARD, money really is the be all and end all for them isn't it...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Well in the gift that keeps on giving, Google Stadia has announced it's launch line up and...ho boy...

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
    Destiny 2: The Collection
    Gylt
    Just Dance 2020
    Kine
    Mortal Kombat 11
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Samurai Shodown
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
    Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

...that's it! THAT'S IT!? Worth also mentioning you have to purchase these individually as well (no subscription yet), and Google have said they'll be roughly the same price as other store fronts...where most people will have already BOUGHT THEM.

It almost feels like Google have already given up on this...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Having any Destiny game on the launch list of a new service is pretty much instantly devaluing said service anyway. Not counting the fact that you can already play half of those games for free through Xbox/PC Game Pass.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Very true, and saying that Destiny 2 is FREE TO PLAY now anyway...i'm really struggling to think who would want a Stadia?!