Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming and Technology News

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    EA teases new Star Wars: Battlefront (!!!) game, and says it will publish current-gen games through to 'at least 2017'.

2017! Surprising to me at least...I thought they'd really try to squash the current gens as fast as possible.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Gaming and Technology News

Yeah 2017 seems like a long time to keep supporting this gen, but that's a good thing I guess

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    EA has officially announced a new Star Wars: Battlefront for next-gen! Yessssssssss.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Mirror's edge 2.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    While the eyes of the gaming world were on E3 last week, that does not mean that all of the action was relegated to downtown LA. First up, we're going to hop in the wayback machine and discuss a lawsuit that was filed back in April, but takes on new meaning in light of a second lawsuit, filed just last week.

Gearbox and SEGA sued over Aliens: Colonial Marines

Edelson, a law firm in Northern California, filed a lawsuit on April 29th on behalf of an individual plaintiff who is suing Gearbox and SEGA over mis-representing the game Aliens: Colonial Marines. The lawsuit alleges that Gearbox and SEGA purposely misled the gaming public with "actual gameplay demos" which were not representative of the game itself. Singled out is the 2012 E3 video which showcased gameplay not found in the game along with hi-res graphics superior to what the buying public saw after they purchased Aliens: Colonial Marines. The review embargo, which did not expire until the day of release, is also being highlighted as an action taken by both SEGA and Gearbox in an attempt to mislead the buying public.

Given the allegations being tossed around regarding E3 last week, and how most of the games from every company were actually running on high-end PCs and not the advertised systems, if this lawsuit moves forward it will have an effect on the industry regarding how they create public presentations. Gearbox's second lawsuit is not as simple as an allegation of being purposefully misleading.

Gearbox sued by 3D Realms over Duke Nukem Forever royalties

Strap in, this is about to get real complicated, real fast.

3D Realms is the original developer of Duke Nukem Forever, which as we all know, had a development cycle long enough that the Saturn was still being sold in stores. Gearbox stepped in and offered to take over devlopment of Duke Nukem Forever, the title Duke Begins and also the rights to develop future Duke Nukem titles. In exchange, 3D Realms would receive royalty payments on the sales of all Duke Nukem games and Gearbox would take over "certain liabilities" incurred during 3D Realms development of Duke Nukem Forever.

One of those liabilities is a rather large $2.9 million dollar loan that 3D Realms owed to another developer for undisclosed reasons. The key point of contention in this lawsuit is that 3D Realms alleges Gearbox is using the royalties earned by Duke Nukem Forever to pay off the $2.9 million dollar loan before paying royalties to 3D Realms. According to the document filed last week by 3D Realms, Gearbox made $4.5 million off of the sales of Duke Nukem Forever and thus should be paying 3D Realms $1.3 million in royalties. By paying the loan first, 3D Realms alleges that Gearbox owes 3D Realms an additional $800,000 in addition to the $1.3 million from retail sales. The third number is an additional $50,000 to $500,000 based off of "advance sales".

All told, 3D Realms is asking for at least $2.2 million dollars in damages from Gearbox.

What makes this story extra-interesting, besides the fact that Duke Nukem Forever made an incredible amount of money, is that Randy Pitchford, CEO of Gearbox, used to work for 3D Realms and is a long-time friend of both Scott Miller and George Broussard, the heads of 3D Realms. This point is mentioned in the court filing, along with an email exchange between the parties in which 3D Realms claims that Randy Pitchford agreed that 3D Realms share of the Duke Nukem Forever royalties would not be used to pay off the $2.9 million loan.

While these quotes will not be published here in this article, the entire document is readable under the "External Link" section at the bottom of this article, just before you get to the comments.

EA continues to re-structure, lays off more staff, and begins to regret buying PopCap

In a quick bit of news, EA made some more cuts to their staff recently and let go another twenty employees. While twenty may not seem to be a large number, this represented an entire analyst department. EA has undergone significant re-structuring in the past few months, with a new console generation and new leadership at the top of the corporation, EA is actively looking to change their image. Moving forward, it would appear EA will be less quick to buy out smaller development studios and will be more likely to simply publish games for third-parties.

One of the decisions of the previous regime included purchasing PopCap, the developer of such digital crack as Peggle, Plants vs. Zombies and Bejeweled 2. AS part of a statement to investors, EA informed stockholders that PopCap is unlikly to return even 1/5th of the $550 million EA spent in acquiring the studio.

IO Interactive decides to focus solely on the Hitman franchise

The text in bold really does sum up this bit of news, as IO Interactive laid off everyone not involved in the development of the Hitman franchise. This means that almost exactly half the staff was let go and every non-Hitman related project was cancelled. While this is good news for fans of the franchise, we here at TrueAchievements wish nothing but the best for those that lost their jobs over this decision.

That wraps it up for this installment. Hopefully, someday I'll get to discuss good news when talking about how the sausage gets made in the gaming industry.
    Interesting.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Goddamn it I hate people so much. Somebody is attempting to actually sue Sega because Colonial Marines is a bad game? Oh no, the trailer mislead you into thinking that the game might be good, and now you're going into lawsuit mode. Well how about you act like a fucking adult and wait until the reviews come out like everyone else did. Fuck.

Laughing this guy out of court isn't sufficient. Public ridicule is necessary.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Goddamn it I hate people so much. Somebody is attempting to actually sue Sega because Colonial Marines is a bad game? Oh no, the trailer mislead you into thinking that the game might be good, and now you're going into lawsuit mode. Well how about you act like a fucking adult and wait until the reviews come out like everyone else did. Fuck.

Laughing this guy out of court isn't sufficient. Public ridicule is necessary.
    I agree entirely. Why sue over Aliens: Colonial Marines? Are we that far along in a society you're suing a video game developer because the game was shit and not to your liking?

Yeah, I know the allegation is false advertisement but really. Is it worth it or needed?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Walking Dead: 400 Days gets released tomorrow! For PSN at least

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/...a-release-date

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    MURDERED: Soul Suspect.

Looks fuckin' cool.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yes please.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Someone gets a tour of Valve's studios, and seemingly leaks Left 4 Dead 3's existence.

Picture is of bunch of text on a screen about 2/3 the way down....it's apparently going to be the launch title for the new Source 2 engine.

Transcribed:
    2013/08/05 15:08:24 Ted Carson [Source2] Changed L4D3's test_networking unit test to use the devtest level again. Ran assert-free ...

There's also this website that has been pretty well known across the internet and not been taken down (or seemingly asked to be taken down) by Valve...hmm..........

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Not surprising, they haven't released a major update for L4D2 in a while. Probably means yet longer to wait for HL3 though...

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    At this point i could care less about anything else Valve releases that 1) isn't an original IP 2) isn't Half-Life 3 or Portal 3

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Last edited by ziltoid; 08-10-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Has anyone else been watching The International?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The new Humble Bundle is pretty ridiculous (includes BF3, Dead Space 3, Mirror's Edge, Crysis 2 among others) and EA is not giving a portion of its profits to charity (the norm) but 100% of what the bundle makes. Pretty great.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    The new Humble Bundle is pretty ridiculous (includes BF3, Dead Space 3, Mirror's Edge, Crysis 2 among others) and EA is not giving a portion of its profits to charity (the norm) but 100% of what the bundle makes. Pretty great.
    I took them up on this earlier and threw a dollar their way, never played any of those games except for Battlefield 3 so i guess now I'll finally get to see what some of this Dead Space and Crysis fuss is about.

Thankfully most of the games can be redeemed on STEAM, I'm only having to claim Dead Space 3 for Origin.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New 12 minute gameplay video of Dying Light. Early next year on current/next-gen platforms. From Techland, the makers of the Dead Island games. I'll give you three guesses as to what this game resembles.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Looks like another Dead Island and wannabe Far Cry.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Spelunky comes out on Ps3 and Vita next week (cross buy too, nom) which makes me happy as the PC one does not work on my laptop due to my laptop being garbage. This however makes me happy.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Introducing the NEW NINTENDO 2DS!

YES.

2D!

http://kotaku.com/introducing-the-ni...ium=Socialflow

It looks like a dual screen high end Etch-A-Sketch.
    Last edited by nemesiswontdie; 08-28-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Man, I totally get the hate that thing is getting, but I am so in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
    Introducing the NEW NINTENDO 2DS!

It looks like a dual screen high end Etch-A-Sketch.
    I'm gonna draw dicks on it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    if its like £99 here I'd prolly get one.. the 3d hurt my eyes anyway.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    At first I was like 'why?' with the 2ds, but thinking about it from a parents perspective it makes sense. The tablet-esque design is less breakable for kids(my brother busted the hinge on his DS), they don't need to worry about what the 3d could do to their kid's eyes, and most importantly its cheap. For low income families that is important; the PS2 still sold decently for years after the PS3 came out because of them. For Nintendo, they save on manufacturing cost by making something with less parts by being unfoldable and having no 3d screen bits. It might do really well. Most teens/adults probably want the full featured version, but this is a solid 'My First Nintendo' for the kiddies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Inafune is Kickstarting a spiritual successor to Mega Man.

Fuuuuck yes.

The development team has some fantastic people, including the person who did the original Mega Man sounds and soundtrack.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    GTA V won Game of the Year and VGX. Lame!

At least The Last of Us got best PS3 game, best male and female voice acting and Naughty Dog got best studio. Cool to see Ni No Kuni get best RPG too