Thread: Gaming and Technology News

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I just cannot see that happening unless microsoft wanted to go full on in Japan, which they have shown almost no intention of doing. Atlus and SEGA have some really freaking popular JRPG's, if they bought them they'd not only piss off people in the west who had bought their consoles based on having those titles, but they'd REALLY anger Japanese fans, who all but hate the xbox brand.
    They did it before with the 360. They thought, "hey, nobody in Japan wants to buy our system, let's purchase some Japanese stuff so they have to!" They created that Blue Dragon studio w/ Hironobu Sakaguchi hoping to eat up the Final Fantasy fans by putting out Lost Odyssey. They bought Tales of Vesperia (and even then, they only fronted enough money to ensure it wouldn't be released in the west..., which was really strange), Katamari Damacy, Deathsmiles, Monster Hunter Fronteir...
    NONE of those games had ANY business being Xbox exclusives.

And it didn't work. They abandoned their efforts to have an impact at all in Japan with the Xbox One, and probably considered that to be part of the system's overall failure. This time, it would make sense for them to buy a huge property like Sega/Atlus.

Which is so goddamn weird though... Atlus didn't even bother putting out their titles on Xbox One because nobody playing on Xbox cares. It feels like a kind of theft to buy out Persona etc... and considering that the Switch has now announced this upcoming Shin Megami Tensei sequel.... I can't be sure, but if Microsoft buys Sega/Atlus, all that's going to happen is a bunch of people aren't going to be playing the games they wish they could, because MS locked them into a console that primarily appeals to a Western audience. I get MS buying exclusive rights to Tomb Raider and Halo and Gears of War and the GTA DLC... The Bethesda thing makes complete sense, and I guess I get it. That's a smart move and I can completely say "well, ok, that's how it works. I'm annoyed a little, but not mad."

If they buy Sega/Atlus, FUCK them.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 09-23-2020 at 09:41 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    They did it before with the 360. They thought, "hey, nobody in Japan wants to buy our system, let's purchase some Japanese stuff so they have to!" They created that Blue Dragon studio w/ Hironobu Sakaguchi hoping to eat up the Final Fantasy fans by putting out Lost Odyssey. They bought Tales of Vesperia (and even then, they only fronted enough money to ensure it wouldn't be released in the west..., which was really strange), Katamari Damacy, Deathsmiles, Monster Hunter Fronteir...
    NONE of those games had ANY business being Xbox exclusives.

And it didn't work. They abandoned their efforts to have an impact at all in Japan with the Xbox One, and probably considered that to be part of the system's overall failure. This time, it would make sense for them to buy a huge property like Sega/Atlus.

Which is so goddamn weird though... Atlus didn't even bother putting out their titles on Xbox One because nobody playing on Xbox cares. It feels like a kind of theft to buy out Persona etc... and considering that the Switch has now announced this upcoming Shin Megami Tensei sequel.... I can't be sure, but if Microsoft buys Sega/Atlus, all that's going to happen is a bunch of people aren't going to be playing the games they wish they could, because MS locked them into a console that primarily appeals to a Western audience. I get MS buying exclusive rights to Tomb Raider and Halo and Gears of War and the GTA DLC... The Bethesda thing makes complete sense, and I guess I get it. That's a smart movie and I can completely say "well, ok, that's how it works. I'm annoyed a little, but not mad."

If they buy Sega/Atlus, FUCK them.
    If they start just buying up studios for the sake of keeping them off other platforms, yes, FUCK them. Bethesda deal doesn't bother me as well, but if the Sega/Atlas thing does happen... We might as well start making an Xbox version of the monopoly board.

I can't imagine Sony not having another move up their sleeves before these rushed out consoles become a reality. But what makes me even more crazy is the miscommunication when it comes to console exclusives, timed exclusives and so on.

The uncertainty already looming around Final Fantasy 16 and it's exclusive nonsense is met with confusion minutes after its reveal. Square removing the PC logo from the ad after the showcase along with that Demon's Souls mix up as well. What a shit show from both sides...

... Still waiting for the UI towards ANY of these consoles or their features to be displayed and we are less than 2 months out.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 09-23-2020 at 09:46 PM.