Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming and Technology News

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    No Mans Sky blew my little mind. Most exciting thing I saw from last nights things..
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...re-no-mans-sky

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

fucking fail and a joke. talk about Joel McHale as the most unfunny, disinterested and boring host i've seen.

No wonder VGA/VGX continues to be terrible.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Why did they scale it back from the previous format, just cutting costs or.....?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah budgetary concerns...Spike also apparently wanted to scale it back for a while now, or so I read. Also, I love McHale but this role definitely didn't suit him lol. Lastly, No Man's Sky was pretty ho-hum for me. Everyone on Twitter was losing their shit about it, but it's the internet so there's always going to be one thing that people latch on to, it becomes a trending topic, and so on and so on. I was impressed that the dev team is FOUR PEOPLE sure, but the game doesn't really look all that amazing to me.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

I'm listening... skeptically.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Lord of The Rings: Shadow of Mordor trailer released.

Now, a few things...

1. It looks pretty great and I'm looking forward to see if they can actually pull off the 'every time you play, the enemies are completely unique' idea. Different looks, names, voices, AND storylines (in the video the first mini-boss Ratbag talks of fighting your character in the past). Could help replayability, but it's all down to if it's actually unique, or just cosmetic. I fear the map and the way you go, where you fight the bosses, etc. will always be the same, but it'll just be cosmetic changes. A slightly different voice, and his name isn't Ratbag, it's Shitbag...or something like that.

2. It's cool how when you defeat him, you can have him spy, send him on an assassination, etc. but again they claim that 'every choice will affect the overall outcome of the game'...which is something I've read about like 345 games in the past...and it never fully pans out. There's always a few linear paths and sure they're kinda different...but I wanna see a game where shit is just drastically different because I did something. I'm aware that the size of a game like that would be like 400 gigs lol.

3. While watching the trailer, there's a part early on where the character is climbing sideways on a wall, and then does an air assassination, and my first thought was 'Wow, that looked just like Assassin's Creed. I mean JUST like it.' Apparently one of the AC II developers claims they jacked the game's code.

edit: Further to point 3, holy shit dude's claim seems pretty legit. About halfway through the video at 4:40 it looks like a fuckin' AC game. If you wait a few seconds, you see the guy walk across some wires stretching between walls and it's almost flagrant how much the animation looks like AC lol. Not to mention the freeflow fighting at about 6:35 that looks an awful lot like the Arkham series...
    Last edited by october_midnight; 01-26-2014 at 10:30 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Anyone else pumped for the new Turtle Rock (L4D makers) game 'Evolve'? I can't wait. 4vs1 with different human classes against one player as a giant monster that can evolve in the map by eating other smaller creatures to become even more massive. This team knows multiplayer well and this looks amazing...

Extra geekery, from a graphic design background, I can say that the font used is one of the most clever and badass things I've seen in a while.

First gameplay with article.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I've noticed that Destructoid was already mentioned here. From the looks of it, Destructoid and IGN seem to be among the sites for gaming news. I also remember GameFAQs as well.

http://www.destructoid.com/

http://www.ign.com/

http://www.gamefaqs.com/

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Anyone else pumped for the new Turtle Rock (L4D makers) game 'Evolve'? I can't wait. 4vs1 with different human classes against one player as a giant monster that can evolve in the map by eating other smaller creatures to become even more massive. This team knows multiplayer well and this looks amazing...

Extra geekery, from a graphic design background, I can say that the font used is one of the most clever and badass things I've seen in a while.
    I'm looking forward to this. Any multiplayer first person shooters that put a spin on the old 'everybody shoot each other' formula is welcome. I'm an old Left 4 Dead Head, so I dig that they're doing another 4 player co-op shooter.
    Last edited by Millionaire; 02-12-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

So Youtube has rolled out 4K.

Anyone actually have the capability yet to take advantage of this?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post

So Youtube has rolled out 4K.

Anyone actually have the capability yet to take advantage of this?
    I'm a professional videographer and editor so 4k is something I've been watching very,very closely. Im also interested as a consumer.

I love the prospect of 4k/5k/6k/8k. Everything has the opportunity to be more vivid and visceral. It especially has implications for gaming that i care about.

As a professional 4k is somewhat terrifying, as all of the required equipment is pretty expensive. That said the prices are coming down fast, and that means that competition is getting steeper and steeper. 4k raw cameras are just barely out of reach now and so sometimes it feels like the time is approaching to sink or swim. My new editing system that i bought with 4k in mind was 7000 dollars. 4k monitors would have been 10000 more. Which is nuts.

That said, I think demand for 4k is only coming from the professional end, which is sort of odd. Younger, tech aware filmmakers are aware of and want to take advantage of these ultra high resolutions, but most consumers dont even have a clue and dont give a shit at all. Older television and film professionals that i work with dont understand it at all, and are still even adapting to HD and the DSLR revolution. From a consumer standpoint, a 4k tv makes no sense at all. What are ypu going to dobwith it? The media to take advantage of a 4k tv barely exists, the blu ray equivalent, red ray, is very expensive and not wodely available. Digotal files are heavy beyond practical storage. Forget 4k streaming like the above youtube videos, because most connections srent going to he able to handle that load at maximum settings, and if it does it eats all of your bandwidth.

My new harddrive is 8tb which brings my total storage to 10TB. Im left wondering if that is even enough for my editing needs should 4k become prevalent. Thats $2,000 of potential imadequacy, by the way.

And the real kicker is this: RED released the Dragon last year, which captures 6k RAW and it is widely known theyve been developing a 25k camers fpr the cinema world (its probably still very far off, or the prpduct of designed obsolescence.). Sonys major cameras capture 8k native amd downsize the output to 5k. With no end in sight, 4k. Is something im even more hesitant to dip my toes into.

HD had a few easy ways into consumer life. I especially feel like the PS3 helped usher in blu ray and with the help of the Xbox, video streaming. The new consoles do not have these sorts of features to help ease the market. So.y has mentioned that the ps4 might one day be capable of 4k streaming or playback, but as ibmentioned there are bandwidth, connection and harddrive issues.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This really sucks. Bioshock is probably my favorite gaming franchise ever. Thank you Ken and everyone involved for the memories. The first time I saw the Big Daddy in Bioshock 1 kill that guy and then drive his drill through his back was one of my favorite moments in gaming.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Not to go off topic. But shouldn't he be tried for murder???

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    So STEAM Family Sharing (http://store.steampowered.com/sharing/) launched and it was very promising at first but it's ultimately ended up being pretty useless for simultaneous usage of different games accessed by the account owner and a guest.

If you want to share your library of games with a guest you have to sacrifice your own access to them or else you'll automatically kick your guest out of what they're playing if you launch another game.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 03-02-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New video of the Snow Drop engine, which was created specifically for the new Tom Clancy game 'The Division'. This looks insane...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    The Division will be awesome, just like all of the Tom Clancy related games have been.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I don't have a link handy, but it was announced today that Mark Zuckerberg and by extension Facebook is purchasing or has already purchased the company developing the Oculus Rift VR technology. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    No doubt Facebook can pay a lot of the development bills but i dunno......... is this a deal with the devil? hard to say.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    I don't have a link handy, but it was announced today that Mark Zuckerberg and by extension Facebook is purchasing or has already purchased the company developing the Oculus Rift VR technology. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. Any thoughts?
    Im not a pc gamer, so I will probably use Oculas Rift VR, but sony has Morpheus and I may use that. Maybe. I think VR is this generations motion controls. Hey guys, remember the last time you used move or kinect for motion controls? And this is going to be mhch pricier. I think the whole thing is a big waste of time and resources for.both the companies prodcing them and the co.sumers buying them. even if it is a great product i doubt it will succeed

Also Facebook are assholes. I highly doubt this deal will be consumer friendly at all.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Last edited by october_midnight; 05-15-2014 at 11:05 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Was just going to post about that. I still haven't finished Far Cry 3 but I absolutely love it, Blood Dragon was awesome as well.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I loved Far Cry 3, PC GOTY for me.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I reallly hope that they can capture that spirit again.... But im pretty miffed about our generational overlap...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I haven't played anything as enjoyable as FC3 since it came out. I'm so excited for this one.