Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Gaming and Technology News

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    that looks AWESOME. but $400 base price, and $80 for each module? yiiiiikes that is SO MUCH MONEY.

unrelated - has anyone been watching High Score on netflix? it's a really fun look at video game history!
    It's a pretty decent overlook for a swath of video games. There is sooooo much more that could have gone into the RPG and FGC episodes.

One thing the show has encouraged me to do is go back and look at some old Taito releases on MAME.

Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    It's a pretty decent overlook for a swath of video games. There is sooooo much more that could have gone into the RPG and FGC episodes.

One thing the show has encouraged me to do is go back and look at some old Taito releases on MAME.
    i'm really enjoying how many queer folks in the gaming industry they're giving voices to; i've been crying a lot. and i can't even begin to tell you how badly i want to play Gayblade, holy shit.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I lost close contact with CPUs and GPUs many years ago when one different letter inside incomprehensible CPU naming means completely different product :-), but watching:

first introduction of Nvidia GeForce RTX 30 series GPUs I was really surprised, can't remember the last time when there was such a huge jump in power...?

So, personally it's time to either completely throw away Phenom PC and build a new Ryzen/Nvidia one (or wait for next Ryzen? and AMD GPUs?), or... Xbox Series X? Or, nothing and finish games that already wait for me on Steam and PS3? :-) Killzone 2, here I come!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Anyone else playing Tony Hawk 1+2? I am LOVING what they've done with it. The gameplay, levels, and even the soundtrack and completely intact and the graphics have been given an amazing facelift – it looks GREAT and plays EXACTLY the way I remember. I couldn't remember exactly how to play when I first started, but after one 2-minute free skate session, it all came back like riding a bike. It may be missing like 2 songs from the original games, but all the important ones are all there (plus a few new tracks). Also, I'd completely forgotten that "Downtown Minneapolis" was a level in the first game, so that was a pleasant surprise/reminder!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    I lost close contact with CPUs and GPUs many years ago when one different letter inside incomprehensible CPU naming means completely different product :-), but watching:
    Gotta miss the days of simple Pentium + number naming convention.

Mentioned
    419 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    What the documentary doesn't tell you is that fans reached out to Ryan Best with copies of the game. The source code was also eventually found. The whole thing has been uploaded to the Internet archive where it can be played for free.

More info with lots of links and a partial manual: https://lgbtqgamearchive.com/games/g...990s/gayblade/

The game: https://archive.org/details/gayblade
    they do mention it, though it’s presented as kind of a narrative arc than anything useful or informative there, and that tendency is part of what bummed me out about High Score. It’s always constantly searching for some sort of dramatic story, and in doing so it leaves so much essential stuff at the wayside. Who would have thought a doc series about the history of video games could avoid saying the word “Galaga?” You talk about the evolution of RPGs and never talk about MMOs or any Japanese rpg except Final Fantasy... you bring up the history of adventure games but don’t keep up to talk about Kings Quest or any Lucasarts games.

But we get a good fifteen minutes reliving the glory day when some guy (who seems like a douche) won the US Sonic the Hedgehog tournament on Alcatraz or something

Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    ... you bring up the history of adventure games but don’t keep up to talk about Kings Quest or any Lucasarts games.
    i was definitely surprised by that, but at least they had a whole segment on Roberta & Ken

Mentioned
    419 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i was definitely surprised by that, but at least they had a whole segment on Roberta & Ken
    That's what was even weirder for me, since that was a perfect set up for a quick mention at the least. Something like "and then they went on to make King's Quest." To cut it off where they did is like if a documentary mentioned Steven Spielberg, and then stopped talking about him after they covered Duel.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Anyone else playing Tony Hawk 1+2? I am LOVING what they've done with it. The gameplay, levels, and even the soundtrack and completely intact and the graphics have been given an amazing facelift – it looks GREAT and plays EXACTLY the way I remember. I couldn't remember exactly how to play when I first started, but after one 2-minute free skate session, it all came back like riding a bike. It may be missing like 2 songs from the original games, but all the important ones are all there (plus a few new tracks). Also, I'd completely forgotten that "Downtown Minneapolis" was a level in the first game, so that was a pleasant surprise/reminder!
    I was awful for my first 20 minutes. After that, I found my groove and was landing 500,000 point tricks like it was nothing; I'm having an absolute blast and when the OG soundtrack songs come on... Man it all works.

Only gripe is the interface is a fucking mess.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    I quickly remembered that I used to play with cheats on when I was a kid lol

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    These look like they're going to be very fun to play.

Last edited by thelastdisciple; 09-07-2020 at 09:04 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The scott pilgrim game is getting re-released fuck yeah!!!!

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)

exactly what I was going to post.

fuck yeah.

However:

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    sad face, oh yeah:

Last edited by allegate; 09-10-2020 at 02:50 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    What concerning me is that it only lists current gen for the release, PS4, XBOXONE, Switch, PC (and stadia whatever that is...) does this mean if it's digital only we'll only be able to play on this gen for Sony (xbox is backwards compatible)?

Seeing as people arguing for this from Ubi were just as vocal to Limited Run Games to get a physical edition (they have been getting in on the twitter action) if Ubi aren't doing a physical edition i bet bet my arse they will be fighting to release one!

And the whole Ubi not including anyone from the original release doesn't surprise me, Ubi are a really awful company! this is the only release i'm prepared to give them money for!

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    https://stadia.google.com/

it's blocked here or I'd provide some other info but it's yet another project Google is throwing money at that will be dead shortly. You're worried about digital copies disappearing? This is that x2.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    https://stadia.google.com/

it's blocked here or I'd provide some other info but it's yet another project Google is throwing money at that will be dead shortly. You're worried about digital copies disappearing? This is that x2.
    Thanks but i did know what it was, i was trying (badly) to be funny haha. I'm still impressed with how far off the radar it's fallen, people have been in lockdown for half the year, this should have been the PERFECT time to capitalize!