Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming and Technology News

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    that looks AWESOME. but $400 base price, and $80 for each module? yiiiiikes that is SO MUCH MONEY.

unrelated - has anyone been watching High Score on netflix? it's a really fun look at video game history!
    It's a pretty decent overlook for a swath of video games. There is sooooo much more that could have gone into the RPG and FGC episodes.

One thing the show has encouraged me to do is go back and look at some old Taito releases on MAME.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    It's a pretty decent overlook for a swath of video games. There is sooooo much more that could have gone into the RPG and FGC episodes.

One thing the show has encouraged me to do is go back and look at some old Taito releases on MAME.
    i'm really enjoying how many queer folks in the gaming industry they're giving voices to; i've been crying a lot. and i can't even begin to tell you how badly i want to play Gayblade, holy shit.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I lost close contact with CPUs and GPUs many years ago when one different letter inside incomprehensible CPU naming means completely different product :-), but watching:

first introduction of Nvidia GeForce RTX 30 series GPUs I was really surprised, can't remember the last time when there was such a huge jump in power...?

So, personally it's time to either completely throw away Phenom PC and build a new Ryzen/Nvidia one (or wait for next Ryzen? and AMD GPUs?), or... Xbox Series X? Or, nothing and finish games that already wait for me on Steam and PS3? :-) Killzone 2, here I come!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Anyone else playing Tony Hawk 1+2? I am LOVING what they've done with it. The gameplay, levels, and even the soundtrack and completely intact and the graphics have been given an amazing facelift – it looks GREAT and plays EXACTLY the way I remember. I couldn't remember exactly how to play when I first started, but after one 2-minute free skate session, it all came back like riding a bike. It may be missing like 2 songs from the original games, but all the important ones are all there (plus a few new tracks). Also, I'd completely forgotten that "Downtown Minneapolis" was a level in the first game, so that was a pleasant surprise/reminder!

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    I lost close contact with CPUs and GPUs many years ago when one different letter inside incomprehensible CPU naming means completely different product :-), but watching:
    Gotta miss the days of simple Pentium + number naming convention.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    What the documentary doesn't tell you is that fans reached out to Ryan Best with copies of the game. The source code was also eventually found. The whole thing has been uploaded to the Internet archive where it can be played for free.

More info with lots of links and a partial manual: https://lgbtqgamearchive.com/games/g...990s/gayblade/

The game: https://archive.org/details/gayblade
    they do mention it, though it’s presented as kind of a narrative arc than anything useful or informative there, and that tendency is part of what bummed me out about High Score. It’s always constantly searching for some sort of dramatic story, and in doing so it leaves so much essential stuff at the wayside. Who would have thought a doc series about the history of video games could avoid saying the word “Galaga?” You talk about the evolution of RPGs and never talk about MMOs or any Japanese rpg except Final Fantasy... you bring up the history of adventure games but don’t keep up to talk about Kings Quest or any Lucasarts games.

But we get a good fifteen minutes reliving the glory day when some guy (who seems like a douche) won the US Sonic the Hedgehog tournament on Alcatraz or something

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    ... you bring up the history of adventure games but don’t keep up to talk about Kings Quest or any Lucasarts games.
    i was definitely surprised by that, but at least they had a whole segment on Roberta & Ken

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i was definitely surprised by that, but at least they had a whole segment on Roberta & Ken
    That's what was even weirder for me, since that was a perfect set up for a quick mention at the least. Something like "and then they went on to make King's Quest." To cut it off where they did is like if a documentary mentioned Steven Spielberg, and then stopped talking about him after they covered Duel.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Anyone else playing Tony Hawk 1+2? I am LOVING what they've done with it. The gameplay, levels, and even the soundtrack and completely intact and the graphics have been given an amazing facelift – it looks GREAT and plays EXACTLY the way I remember. I couldn't remember exactly how to play when I first started, but after one 2-minute free skate session, it all came back like riding a bike. It may be missing like 2 songs from the original games, but all the important ones are all there (plus a few new tracks). Also, I'd completely forgotten that "Downtown Minneapolis" was a level in the first game, so that was a pleasant surprise/reminder!
    I was awful for my first 20 minutes. After that, I found my groove and was landing 500,000 point tricks like it was nothing; I'm having an absolute blast and when the OG soundtrack songs come on... Man it all works.

Only gripe is the interface is a fucking mess.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I quickly remembered that I used to play with cheats on when I was a kid lol

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    These look like they're going to be very fun to play.

Last edited by thelastdisciple; 09-07-2020 at 09:04 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    The scott pilgrim game is getting re-released fuck yeah!!!!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

exactly what I was going to post.

fuck yeah.

However:

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    sad face, oh yeah:

Last edited by allegate; 09-10-2020 at 02:50 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    What concerning me is that it only lists current gen for the release, PS4, XBOXONE, Switch, PC (and stadia whatever that is...) does this mean if it's digital only we'll only be able to play on this gen for Sony (xbox is backwards compatible)?

Seeing as people arguing for this from Ubi were just as vocal to Limited Run Games to get a physical edition (they have been getting in on the twitter action) if Ubi aren't doing a physical edition i bet bet my arse they will be fighting to release one!

And the whole Ubi not including anyone from the original release doesn't surprise me, Ubi are a really awful company! this is the only release i'm prepared to give them money for!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    https://stadia.google.com/

it's blocked here or I'd provide some other info but it's yet another project Google is throwing money at that will be dead shortly. You're worried about digital copies disappearing? This is that x2.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    https://stadia.google.com/

it's blocked here or I'd provide some other info but it's yet another project Google is throwing money at that will be dead shortly. You're worried about digital copies disappearing? This is that x2.
    Thanks but i did know what it was, i was trying (badly) to be funny haha. I'm still impressed with how far off the radar it's fallen, people have been in lockdown for half the year, this should have been the PERFECT time to capitalize!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Holyyyy shit.

Official announcement.

Look at that lineup of franchises that will only be on Xbox going forward. Wow.
    Last edited by october_midnight; 09-21-2020 at 08:13 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    So the Quake vinyl release just got more interesting.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Ugh... Microsoft buying Bethesda is so lame. Oh well, it makes more sense than when they tried to get all these niche JRPG exclusives secured, like buying out Tales of Vesperia and Star Ocean. It's a smart business move... until this point, there was really not much reason to get an Xbox over a PS5.

Now that's changed. I guess if I don't wind up getting an Xbox, I'll miss Fallout and Elder Scrolls.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    As similar as everyone is right now they should just merge and do a 3DO / one-console future thing where there isn't this weird arms race. It's not a vehicle, there's no need to have two manufacturers with competing stuff. Just make it like a blu-ray player where the only difference is cosmetic/UI and the guts can play the same disc as the next machine. It's almost un-consumer to have these exclusives like this. Especially this year when everyone is so strapped.

and I know it's not a must-have consumable but it's just annoying when you have cross-play and yet not.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Taking a day off from work tomorrow and getting up early and waiting outside a GameStop. Oh boy. It’s 1999 all over again.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Ugh... Microsoft buying Bethesda is so lame. Oh well, it makes more sense than when they tried to get all these niche JRPG exclusives secured, like buying out Tales of Vesperia and Star Ocean. It's a smart business move... until this point, there was really not much reason to get an Xbox over a PS5.

Now that's changed. I guess if I don't wind up getting an Xbox, I'll miss Fallout and Elder Scrolls.
    Phil from Xbox said that they will make games available all platforms on a case by case situation. So maybe doom might be Xbox exclusive and make Elder scrolls multi platform.

I hate exclusives. Wish I could play spider man.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say...I'd rather Microsoft buy up and studio then Sony. Why? Because there is a chance Microsoft will still let their games on other platforms (See ori, minecraft etc and the whole PC thing)

I'm not exactly happy about this either way, i think this could be the start of a lot of BIG studios going to either Sony or Microsoft (Nintendo won't bother, they have a strong enough first party line up to not worry) I could see places like Fromsoft, Square, hell even Ubisoft giving all their recent behind the scenes BS might see a buy out as a way to clean the slate...it sucks, BUT it is awesome for those into Game Pass. I don't think the likes of Doom, Fallout or Elder Scrolls will be excusive to xbox...new IP's though, that's a different story.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Phil from Xbox said that they will make games available all platforms on a case by case situation. So maybe doom might be Xbox exclusive and make Elder scrolls multi platform.

I hate exclusives. Wish I could play spider man.
    Spider Man is great... so are a bunch of exclusives, and I hear what you're saying

I think I'm divided on the concept. I think exclusives are a generally alright idea if the console-publisher is funding the project. For instance, I think it's great that Xbox has exclusives like Halo and Gears of War. It totally fits their brand, and they've invested in the studios that make them. They basically are the reason they exist at this point.

That's ok with me. Stuff like timed exclusives is just insulting, and it makes me want to do everything to resist buying your system. It's bullshit when Xbox does it with Tomb Raider, and it's bullshit when Sony does it with the Final Fantasy VII remake. Everyone should be able to play that now, it should be on Switch and Xbox and whatever.

I'm glad Cuphead is finally on other consoles... also glad the newer Ori game is on Switch.

I do see the point with securing content for different demographics... It was a mess when Microsoft pretended that they had any business securing exclusive rights to games that appealed primarily to the Japanese market. Just like with timed exclusivity, they're basically paying money JUST SO YOU CAN'T GET IT. It's completely different conceptually from funding a project for your platform.

Wish it would stop, but this is an egregious example of what I dislike here... it's also ramping up the concept. Microsoft created "timed exclusives." Buying out studios that have mass cross platform appeal is a very good move strategically, and it of course cost them 7 billion or something to do it... but now, yay... guess I HAVE TO buy an Xbox now.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    This honestly feels like what Microsoft did with the Minecraft situation.

Did not expect this to happen, but hey, we're here. I'm not making any judgment until they have the time to be a bit more transparent with what they will actually make exclusive and stay cross-gen. I'm not immediately won over because they acquired a big studio. Didn't Xbox buy up a bunch of studios last gen that took the console absolutely nowhere? Sorry but the graphic that shows all the studios Xbox acquired doesn't impress me.

If they make Doom a console Xbox only exclusive, then that is just horseshit. What sucks is I don't want an Xbox and would rather play these on PC but I can't afford an upgraded rig atm so people would say "Just get the XSS" which I definitely do not want to own... Man what a fucking mess this next gen has turned out to be so far.

.... Still waiting for that showcase showing a next gen game actually running on the XSX that I was told is coming very soon.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 09-21-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    The social rumor mill is now is FULL swing, with many reporting that Microsoft are in to buy...SEGA? Really?....SEGA...can't see that myself but hey ho.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    My lord.. MORE Sega buyout rumors? People are basing that rumor off of these pictures on my timeline; the deep diving is embarrassing:

I don't see it happening, plus, Sega Sammy said a few years back they were in the best financial shape in over two decades. Now there are rumors that they will buy Atlas!?!? This is ridiculous and I'm laughing my ass off.

If those happen... I'll have to eat a humble sandwhich.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Sony should buy From in retaliation

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    15:00 mark...