Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 331 to 360 of 390

Thread: Gaming and Technology News

  1. #331
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Oh if there are any mods about can we move all my ramblings about Apex Legends to the Titanfall thread? https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...2587-Titanfall

    Feel like i've overtaken this one with non gaming news.

    And a small bit of advice for Apex, turn you field of view up. I had it at 70 default and moved it to 100 and it's so much easier to see the battlefield, on PS4 aswell!

  2. #332
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    7,003
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Oh man. Just off of a call with a certain major company, who is announcing something gaming related next month, that'll be out later this year. I've been NDA'ed to hell, but holy shit people. Holy shit.

  3. #333
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,188
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Oh man. Just off of a call with a certain major company, who is announcing something gaming related next month, that'll be out later this year. I've been NDA'ed to hell, but holy shit people. Holy shit.
    Yeah, that WinRAR patch is pretty exciting... :P

  4. #334
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    7,003
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Yeah, that WinRAR patch is pretty exciting... :P
    Dude, Stop spoiling everything.

  5. #335
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm guessing Apple, but...

  6. #336
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    7,003
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    I'm guessing Apple, but...
    Nada. It's not exactly a huge secret so if you Google next month and know what event is taking place...you should figure it out, just the scale at which they're launching it is going to be bonkers. Will it succeed? Hopefully. If it does, it's a serious industry changer.

  7. #337
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Nada. It's not exactly a huge secret so if you Google next month and know what event is taking place...you should figure it out, just the scale at which they're launching it is going to be bonkers. Will it succeed? Hopefully. If it does, it's a serious industry changer.
    Just did, thanks!

    Now I'm assuming that they're doing a streaming service with any device.

    Edit: I did try AC Odyssey and it worked really well with Project Stream.

  8. #338
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    7,003
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    What I saw today regarding their plans is straight bonkers. Again...if it works lol.

  9. #339
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    What I saw today regarding their plans is straight bonkers. Again...if it works lol.
    Finally a Dreamcast revival, you've made my day

  10. #340
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This is also awesome (for Switch owners).

    https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/02...tles-to-switch

  11. #341
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    north colorado
    Posts
    1,304
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Gearbox is going to have some never before seen reveals at PAX East. Fingers crossed for Borderlands 3

  12. #342
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,882
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    New retro low-poly FPS coming from 3D Realms, using Quake engine tech.





    http://www.wrath.game/

    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1..._Aeon_of_Ruin/

  13. #343
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    7,003
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Oh man, F I N A L L Y.

    The Left 4 Dead franchise returns with Back 4 Blood

  14. #344
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    7,003
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Finally it's announced. Google Stadia

    Saw it in action a few weeks ago and it's craaaaazy. Only thing is how restricted the title library will be. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are all basically not cool with it haha.

  15. #345
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Finally it's announced. Google Stadia

    Saw it in action a few weeks ago and it's craaaaazy. Only thing is how restricted the title library will be. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are all basically not cool with it haha.
    So that WAS it.

  16. #346
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    OK so i have some...reservations shall we say about Googles idea.

    I like the idea, it has some great potential, but there are a few stumbling blocks...

    1) What internet speed will be required to use it? I'm guessing something quite hefty, which will count me (and a lot of people) right out of the service. My current connection is 30-40mbs, and that is the best i can get (i'm told) where i live, and that can't even use PS Now without it rendering the game unplayable after 20mins, so my guess is this'll need something like 50-100mbs minimum? This would be especially bad if Google starts getting exclusive games, it wouldn't be like "oh i need a new console to play this" it would literally be "well i can't play it unless i move home"...and that's pretty nuts.

    EDIT : They have confirmed you'll need a recommended minimum of 25mps for 1080p 60 FPS...which i'm not so sure i believe giving my experience with 30-40mbs and PS Now (it's awful even with PS3 Era games!)

    2) How are they going to solve latency issues? I'm hearing (online so it could be bullshit) that there are 1-2 seconds of latency, which on PvP games would be awful, how exactly are Google going to get around this?

    3) My issue with all streaming platforms...licenses. I hate giving money to company's to effectively 'rent' music and film, especially when they can just vanish from the service (Tool on Spotify for example, or the countless anime i tried watching on Netflix) Unless the platform owns the content it will be down to a license agreement to be on said platform, and when that agreement comes up for renewal the platform holder might just go "well this wasn't very popular so we won't re-new" This is a pain for music and film, but you can always find ways to find it again...with Games it's a little different. Imagine for example a deep RPG game you have invested 100's of hours into. It's not massively popular but you love it. Now say Google doesn't own the license and it gets to the end of it's contract, google say "not enough people are playing it" and poof, gone. Gone is the game AND all the hours you put in (as well as saves)...that would SUCK!

    Again i like the idea, but at the moment my above issues are keeping me from getting excited about it...
    Last edited by Haysey; 03-20-2019 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Question 1 was answered

  17. #347
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    912
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post

    2) How are they going to solve latency issues? I'm hearing (online so it could be bullshit) that there are 1-2 seconds of latency, which on PvP games would be awful, how exactly are Google going to get around this?
    That must be bullshit. There's no way any company would think about shipping something in gaming that has 2 seconds of latency. Can you imagine moving your mouse and having to wait 2 seconds for a response? You might aswell not play

  18. #348
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    That must be bullshit. There's no way any company would think about shipping something in gaming that has 2 seconds of latency. Can you imagine moving your mouse and having to wait 2 seconds for a response? You might aswell not play
    This is why a lot of PC gamers aren't sold yet. Even a fraction of a second would be a massive deal, and Google hasn't said how bad/good this will be. I suspect this will also come down to each persons connection/provider? Again we probably won't know until some of us get to try it in our own homes, speaking of which...

    http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2019/03/20/g...-our-questions

    When asked about what internet speed you'd need, to get 1080p, 60 frames per second, you'd need approximately 25 megabits per second...which honestly i'm surprised about. BUT that is the minimum recommended connection and just under what i currently get...so all in all there wouldn't be much of an advantage for me moving from console/PC to streaming (i mean PS Now sucks for me but that must just be Sony's end not my connection?)

  19. #349
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,882
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    @Haysey

    I echo all those questions and concerns, i saw someone mention how if this were to eventually become the norm that it would basically kill the modding community for future PC games, there's nothing to modify if you aren't given any access to the game files. That and like you said with license expirations and games potentially disappearing from the service after a period of time, what would then happen to preserving older games? the beloved titles due to critical acclaim or cult following? Do they just cease to exist? The gaming industry is bad enough at keeping it's past alive, companies acquiring other companies and ending up with IPs that they don't do anything with. You're lucky to get anything remastered or updated for modern compatibility unless it's from the previous generation and even then.

    With Steam a lot of older titles get released digitally in the state they were in when they were first made available and on modern systems these titles are in poor shape and don't function very well out of the box, this is where at least by way of having the files the community can dig in to the code and fix some of the problems. A developer or publisher can grant the release of the source code for a given title and thanks to a dedicated community of gamers you now have a working product that can stand the test of time.

    I have to imagine the games that would end up on Google's systems are going to primarily reflect whatever the current gen is at the time because when those titles will continue to come and go and the years keep on flying by, the technology is bound to be upgraded (how often is anyone's guess) and the older games that would run into performance issues would probably have to be run through some sort of emulation, somehow i can't see Google making this big of a commitment unless it really takes off and our other options throw in the towel.

    We are in some strange times.

  20. #350
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    @thelastdisciple i didn't even think of Modding!

    My guess is Google want the average console gamer market, people that just want to switch on a box and play, no fuss (thats where the money is!)
    And i completely agree, older games will effectively die in this state. Just look at LEGO Lord of the Rings, The Scott Pilgrim Game, P.T. Dead because of licenses/bullshit, BUT if you had a copy you can still enjoy it to this day...that won't happen with this new platform.

    It's for that reason i can't see physically owning games will die, modding and continuing to enjoy games will be in a lot of PC gamer's minds and will continue to be a thing.

    Also the whole being able to drop into a streamer playing a game has great potential...until they said it was with YouTube Gaming...i honestly thought they'd canned that! Anyone i watched that used it stopped and moved to Twitch a LONG time ago!

  21. #351
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,882
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post

    Also the whole being able to drop into a streamer playing a game has great potential...until they said it was with YouTube Gaming...i honestly thought they'd canned that! Anyone i watched that used it stopped and moved to Twitch a LONG time ago!
    You can bet that when Amazon drops their game streaming service they will also have this feature and run laps around Google precisely because of their install base of Twitch streamers.

  22. #352
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    You can bet that when Amazon drops their game streaming service they will also have this feature and run laps around Google precisely because of their install base of Twitch streamers.
    I forgot Amazon had been planning something as well...no wonder Google got out of the gate early.

    If Amazon offers the chance to stream AND own the game on a platform like they offer with some of their MP3's (where you get the CD in the price) that's be a MASSIVE advantage!

  23. #353
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I forgot Amazon had been planning something as well...no wonder Google got out of the gate early.

    If Amazon offers the chance to stream AND own the game on a platform like they offer with some of their MP3's (where you get the CD in the price) that's be a MASSIVE advantage!
    GeForce Now kind of does this already. If you own certain games on Steam you can stream them even if your computer isn't on. You don't have to pay extra either.

  24. #354
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,649
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    A 25mb speed is required to receive 1080p at 60 fps on the Stadia... yikes.

  25. #355
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    GeForce Now kind of does this already. If you own certain games on Steam you can stream them even if your computer isn't on. You don't have to pay extra either.
    This could be a killer advantage (other then Twitch integration) for Amazon, Google can't offer this, and would get people (like me) who are worried about streaming solely on board.

  26. #356
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Also something that us UK plebs have easy, almost all our broadband is unlimited, but i'm hearing many US people don't have unlimited data packages...how is this going to effect you?

    If it needs 25mbs min it's safe to say you'll be doing 1.5 gb of data a minute and 90 gb an hour...is that doable with your data pack broadband contracts? Or is this going to lead to stupidly expensive broadband every month (if you can even get 25mbs!)

  27. #357
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    This could be a killer advantage (other then Twitch integration) for Amazon, Google can't offer this, and would get people (like me) who are worried about streaming solely on board.
    Microsoft even more so since they have Xbox and Azure.

  28. #358
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,882
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Also something that us UK plebs have easy, almost all our broadband is unlimited, but i'm hearing many US people don't have unlimited data packages...how is this going to effect you?

    If it needs 25mbs min it's safe to say you'll be doing 1.5 gb of data a minute and 90 gb an hour...is that doable with your data pack broadband contracts? Or is this going to lead to stupidly expensive broadband every month (if you can even get 25mbs!)
    I know for me personally before i moved there was a few years while on a 15mbit/s connection where my ISP put a data cap on us at 150gb/month and that's something i had to share with others so it got ate up pretty quick... and this was implemented after like 15 years with the same ISP, before then data caps were a completely alien concept to me and something i only thought smartphones were dealing with. I was so pissed off when our plan was changed this way, i had to change the entire way i used the Internet.

    Fortunately since i moved i have an unlimited cap again *knock on wood* and also a much higher speed at 50mbit/s after we had fibre lines installed (after actually having WORSE connection speeds for a brief time at 6mbit/s compared to where i lived previously, that was ROUGH)

  29. #359
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    1,591
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Also something that us UK plebs have easy, almost all our broadband is unlimited, but i'm hearing many US people don't have unlimited data packages...how is this going to effect you?

    If it needs 25mbs min it's safe to say you'll be doing 1.5 gb of data a minute and 90 gb an hour...is that doable with your data pack broadband contracts? Or is this going to lead to stupidly expensive broadband every month (if you can even get 25mbs!)
    Vast majority of Xfinity (Comcast) customers = not feasible

    Base package ($69.99) is 15 Mbps, but since our infrastructure is shit most places, you get about 1 Mbps - 6 Mbps. There are higher speed options, of course, but everyone is soft-capped at 1 TB of data usage a month. You get two warning months, and then it's $10 per 50 GB used every time after. If you frequently go over cap, they have the right to throttle or terminate your service all together.
    Last edited by Jon; 03-21-2019 at 03:15 PM. Reason: I guess you get 2 complimentary overage months now

  30. #360
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Vast majority of Xfinity (Comcast) customers = not feasible

    Base package ($69.99) is 15 Mbps, but since our infrastructure is shit most places, you get about 1 Mbps - 6 Mbps. There are higher speed options, of course, but everyone is soft-capped at 1 TB of data usage a month. You get one warning month, and then it's $10 per 50 GB used every time after. If you frequently go over cap, they have the right to throttle or terminate your service all together.
    FUCKING HELL How...how is this even going to work for most of America?! Are Google going to install and start charging for their own internet?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions