Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Grace For Drowning has been out for over 2 months now, and the first leg of his solo tour is complete. He stated on his Facebook that a second leg is in the works, focusing on the areas they first missed (he cites the West Coast, Mexico, Italy and India on his post as places where the show is in high demand). And it was just announced today that GFD garnered a Grammy nomination for Best Surround Mix.

Last edited by onthewall2983; 11-21-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Recently got into Porcupine Tree, I'm so fucking into them. I've listened to The Incident, In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear Of A Blank Planet, and Stupid Dream and loved it all. What album should I listen to next?
    Last edited by Somewhat Damaged; 12-04-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Nil Recurring, Lightbulb Sun, Signify, The Sky Moves Sideways and Up The Downstair. Beyond that, I'd also recommend the compilations Stars Die: The Delerium Years 1991-1997 and ​Recordings for more exposure to their pre-In Absentia work. Also recommended are the live DVD's of Arriving Somewhere... and Anesthetize (also on Blu-Ray).
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 12-14-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cool, thanks!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    You won't regret it. I honestly believe Steven is one of, if not the best kept secret in the music business now. He pulls in good numbers and sales, but doesn't get the recognition from the mainstream music press. He gets some, David Fricke has written some nice things about him in Rolling Stone (just gave Grace For Drowning a 4-star review). It's easier to imagine a time when someone of his talent would be a superstar, and maybe it's best that that didn't happen for him. Whether it's when we're all long gone or a few years from now, I know he will get his due.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a huge Steven Wilson fan as well. In Absentia is one of my favorite records of all time. I'm excited for this "Storm Corrosion" project between Mikael and Steven Wilson, but find myself a bit wary of it because Opeth's new record didn't do a whole lot for me and Grace for Drowning was a step backwards for Steven after the quite good Insurgentes album. There's nothing inherently wrong with either, they just didn't particularly hold my interest as much as I hoped/expected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    Recently got into Porcupine Tree, I'm so fucking into them. I've listened to The Incident, In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear Of A Blank Planet, and Stupid Dream and loved it all. What album should I listen to next?
    Signify or Lightbulb Sun are more along the lines of Stupid Dream in that most of the songs aren't very long. Signify is like PT's version of DSOTM, in a sense. I've been listening to them for many years now and I like each album in its own way. FOABP has gotten the most listens for me, and that's due to it's concept nature. I know The Incident is also a concept album, but something keeps drawing me back to FOABP more than others. Also, definitely check out Recordings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got into PT during the FoaBP era and just became obsessed. They quickly made it into my top-10 favorite bands. I also enjoy all of Steven Wilson's other projects, especially his solo material, no-man and Bass Communion. I got to see him twice on the Grace for Drowning tour and cannot wait for the second leg.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Steven said in an interview recently he's already at work on his next solo album and that for now nothing is planned for Porcupine Tree. Playing with his live band has inspired him for more material. Take it as you will but I like the idea of the band taking an extended break, with everybody doing their own thing for awhile. I know the other guys in the band have things in the pipeline so he isn't holding them up, obviously.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 12-13-2011 at 06:54 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Steven announced the tour dates for the 2nd leg of his Grace For Drowning tour on his Facebook today. He said there will be new music on the tour, and one of the shows will be filmed for Blu-Ray/DVD.

30th April - Amager Bio, Copenhagen, Denmark
    2nd May - 013, Tilburg, Netherlands
    6th May - Garage, Saarbrucken, Germany
    7th May - Theterhaus, Stuttgart, Germany
    9th May - Z7, Pratteln, Switzerland
    10th May - Alcatraz, Milan, Italy
    11th May - Orion, Rome, Italy
    13th May - FZW, Dortmund, Germany
    14th May - AB, Brussels, Belgium
    15th May - Shepherds Bush Empire, London, UK

And the official PT Twitter has said there's more dates to come.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 12-16-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The Sky Moves Sideways vinyl reissue just went up for preorder on Burning Shed, for a February ship date. they really went stupid on the tracklist this time around.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    A new No-Man release is coming out in February, a live recording from their performance in October.

The music is drawn from all eras of no-man's output. Also featured is a previously unreleased song dating from the earliest days of the band, the brooding beaten by love.

Love and Endings
    sees no-man's core duo of Tim Bowness and Steven Wilson joined by respected classical violinist Steve Bingham and regular collaborators Michael Bearpark, Andrew Booker, Stephen Bennett and Pete Morgan.

Further details and a pre-order link will be provided in January.
    Tracklisting:
    1. my revenge on seattle (6.02)
    2. time travel in texas (4.51)
    3. all the blue changes (6.10)
    4. pretty genius (3.58)
    5. lighthouse (8.16)
    6. beaten by love (3.58)
    7. wherever there is light (5.09)
    8. mixtaped (9.32)
    9. things change (8.24)
    Also, a Storm Corrosion Facebook page went up today. Not much on it currently, except some more personnel info about who else will be on it.

Storm Corrosion will be issued by Roadrunner in April 2012. Apart from Mikael and Steven, the album includes guest appearances by Gavin Harrison on drums/percussion, Ben Castle on woodwinds, and Dave Stewart on string arrangements.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 12-22-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Steven has also hinted at a limited edition 1 disc live recording from his solo European tour. He posted on Facebook that next year his plans are to work with the band he's been touring with on new material for his next solo album, and touring in the spring (one show will be filmed for Blu-Ray/DVD).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    From his Facebook today

Folks, just to clarify news elsewhere of a new Blackfield album coming this year - please note that this time my involvement will be as a contributor rather than a member. I will still be mixing the album, and maybe sing on a couple of Aviv's songs (there will be other guest singers I understand), but with my complete blessing Blackfield is now under his sole curatorship, a process which really began with Welcome to My DNA.
    Not surprised, as Welcome To My DNA ​felt less and less like it was 50/50 between the two of them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Steven has to be overwhelmed with all of the projects he undertakes. A couple of years ago, I never would have thought that Porcupine Tree would be put on hold. It's probably a good thing since the new album will sound very fresh. I'm looking forward to his third solo album.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    You'd think so, but he never seems to complain about it all that much. He really enjoys what he does, and has a very strong passion for music, and I think that him doing so much is as part of that as is the quality of what he does. But maybe you're right, and now that he's in his 40's, he'll probably slow it down in the coming years enough to give each project (and himself) time to breathe.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    From his Facebook

I can now confirm more shows in North / Central America. Please note that tickets are not on sale yet, but I'll post ticket links as soon as they are. Just to confirm the line up for this shows will be myself, Nick Beggs, Adam Holzman, Marco Minnemann, Theo Travis, and new guitar player Niko Tsonev - I plan to present one (very long) new piece, otherwise this is a continuation of the show presented on first leg of the GFD tour. 4th April - Showbox, Seattle / 6th April - Fillmore, San Francisco / 7th April - LA (venue to be confirmed) / 9th April - Dallas, House of Blues / 13th April - Metropolitan, Mexico City. South American and further European shows still to come...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    part of my 'album retrospective' on The Sky Moves Sideways was posted on starsdie.com today. potentially interesting read for SW fans (and grounds for disagreement!).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Promo video for No-Man's Love And Ending's live album/concert film. This looks to put their previous live release to shame. Make sure to watch it in 720p, it looks absolutely stunning for something only shot with two cameras. It's available for pre-order (either as a CD/DVD, a double vinyl, or a bundle of the two) from their exclusively from burningshed store.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 01-27-2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: pre-order details

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    A full performance from ^ of "Lighthouse".

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Dates announced so far for the second leg of Steven's Grace For Drowning Tour:

4th April - Showbox, Seattle, USA
    6th April - The Fillmore, San Francisco, USA
    7th April- House of Blues, LA, USA
    9th April - House of Blues, Dallas, USA
    13th April - Metropolitan, Mexico City, Mexico
    25th April - KB, Malmo, SWEDEN
    26th April - Gota Kallare, Stockholm, SWEDEN
    27th April - Peer Gynt, Bergen, NORWAY
    28th April - Rockefeller, Oslo, NORWAY
    30th April - Amager Bio, Copenhagen, Denmark
    2nd May - 013, Tilburg, Netherlands
    3rd May - Alte Feuerwache Mannheim, Mannheim, GERMANY
    4th May - Trianon, Paris, France
    6th May - Garage, Saarbrucken, Germany
    7th May - Theaterhaus, Stuttgart, Germany
    9th May - Z7, Pratteln, Switzerland
    10th May - Alcatraz, Milan, Italy
    11th May - Orion, Rome, Italy
    13th May - FZW, Dortmund, Germany
    14th May - AB, Brussels, Belgium
    15th May - Shepherds Bush Empire, London, UK

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Excellent interview with SW, discussing his recent and future projects.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yes! So excited to see this show in SF.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Watching the Insurgentes movie DVD now. It's an interesting piece, basically a reflection of his views on the industry, interspersed with glimpses of life on the road and in the studio. The scenes shot in his school and with his parents were the most interesting to me. Listening to the Bass Communion/Pig collaboration now, quite creepy as most any BC piece is.

Also bought the Grace For Drowning Blu-ray today. Can't wait to hear these songs in 5.1 finally

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Watching the Insurgentes movie DVD now. It's an interesting piece, basically a reflection of his views on the industry, interspersed with glimpses of life on the road and in the studio.
    I watched this with my friend who got me into Porcupine Tree some months ago, and we actually got into a bit of an argument about Steven's approach and philosophy in the film. We're both huge fans and best friends, so it didn't go past that day, but I think the Insurgentes documentary definitely gets a reaction one way or another out of its audience. I personally quite liked it. Since then, that same friend actually got us free tickets to the NYC Grace For Drowning show a little while back. Amazing show. Still can't believe they opened with "No Twilight..."

Anyway, Storm Corrosion is available for pre-order!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/p...news_id=118307

I was not expecting such warm colors in the cover art - reminds me of Jane's Addiction, actually. Dying to hear this album.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i'm still a bit sad that there's no visual accompaniment to the tracks on the blu-ray of "grace for drowning." i never like having a mostly black screen up on my TV while i'm listening to music.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    If you choose the "songs" part of the menu, you can look at artwork (and videos for 5 of the songs) as you do it. It's not as easy to access as it should be, but it's there.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    oh, cool. thanks!

i guess i kinda figured with the awesome (and lengthy) menu video, they would have had some video (or at least stills) to go with the songs.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    I watched this with my friend who got me into Porcupine Tree some months ago, and we actually got into a bit of an argument about Steven's approach and philosophy in the film. We're both huge fans and best friends, so it didn't go past that day, but I think the Insurgentes documentary definitely gets a reaction one way or another out of its audience.
    I agree, and I liked it as well. He has very valid points throughout, and even though I disagree with his view on iPods he makes a strong enough argument as to why he feels it degrades the quality of the art. For me personally, as he's a very bony guy physically and even says in the film that he was a crap athlete, I doubt he knows the pain of dealing with a skippy portable CD player while on a treadmill.

But I think the answer to the specific problem he has about sound quality and actual artistic artwork is something he's partly solved by putting Grace For Drowning on Blu-ray. I can see more artists in the future, who care about the sonic quality of their work, using BR as a medium that provides both the best sound quality and replicates the kind of experience SW talks about in the movie with record sleeves.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The Mexico City on April 13th show will be filmed for DVD/Blu-ray.