Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1371

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post

A post shared by on

Good lord, those Focal mains. I bet those are scathing for bad mixes and pure sonic bliss for good.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I listened to the Raven album again and man is it still a banger. Amazing to me that he put it all together in less then a year, part of which he was still touring with what was his first live band as a solo artist.

The surround mix didn't wow me too much except in hearing bits of piano and vocal effects that the 5 speakers bring out instead of your average stereo setup.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A post shared by on

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I like that Insignificance, Metanoia, and Transmission IV have new remasters, but I'm not dropping $400 CAD (shipping in) for those.

Plus, where is Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape? Where is Men of Wood 1994 mix? Where is Signify (Religious Mix)? Why is the cover art a Sunn O))) band photo?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Why is the cover art a Sunn O))) band photo?
    ahahahahahahahahahahaha

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Anyone else find the concept behind these news songs to just be incredibly trite? Like, doing the evil-corporation-who-makes-us-consumerist-zombies thing is the most overdone concept, and this album is leaning into it SO hard. I wouldn't mind so much if it was just a design concept, but the lyrics are so on the nose. I feel like every time I listen to the album, I'm going to find myself rolling my eyes and going, "yes, thank you for your razor sharp hot take about money being evil, Steve."

Anyway, just a thought. Jury will be out until I hear the album, and I'm always happy to hear new SW stuff.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I liked both singles so far, the expected direction after "To the Bone"...

Obviously the concept was going to be "evil corps", he needs to justify his love of pop with a strong concept (even if it's overdone...)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I wouldn't mind so much if it was just a design concept, but the lyrics are so on the nose. I feel like every time I listen to the album, I'm going to find myself rolling my eyes and going, "yes, thank you for your razor sharp hot take about money being evil, Steve."
    He's not a satirist. His lyrics work best from a place of empathy or without any judgment. Not to diminish his songwriting capacity but the great ones can do both. Peter Gabriel, Roger Waters and even Trent have made their careers upon this to a degree.

Just lyrically, it is at least way more direct than his first two solo albums, some of the lyrics to which I cannot decipher their meaning at all (not a bad thing btw, just an interesting way he expressed himself in conjunction with what he was doing musically on those records).

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Heard the new song. Found it boring... never thought I'd ever dread a SW album. Yet, here we are...

Out of the three songs I've heard, I can only get into one..

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Heard the new song. Found it boring... never thought I'd ever dread a SW album. Yet, here we are...

Out of the three songs I've heard, I can only get into one..
    3 songs? i am missing one here, which is the 3rd?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    King Ghost.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    King Ghost.
    Yes, King Ghost was the 2nd track.
    Downgraded version of Song of I, horrible Radiohead influences.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    yeah i looked it up and saw it's on amazon, odd to have it as such, i did not find a leak so i'll wait for the album to come out to pass judgment.
    I also noticed there is a vinyl release for sleaze with 2 bonus tracks, here we go again with extra songs scattered all over and an incomplete main LP.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The tracklisting for the main LP changed too, the last track is now called "Count of Unease" and clocks in at 6 minutes.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    can't listen to it... even on the official download paghe of futur deluxe version of Future Bites I can only download two tracks.. strange..

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Happy to see the Deadwing box finally mentioned.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

A post shared by on

I truly hope he’s aware of the irony here.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I've got to admit that package looks far more intriguing now. Ultimately I'll have to listen to the album to judge, which I may have done prematurely but I'm not anymore hopeful for it. He's been chasing a hit for awhile now and I think it's had a de-appreciable effect on his work. Blackfield, a project that was at once a nice alternative to what he'd been doing in other bands, is about to put out a new album and have even less enthusiasm for it than I do TFB. Amazing that I'm even saying this considering how long I held up the flag here (and on the previous iteration of ETS too).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    I truly hope he’s aware of the irony here.
    I don't get it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    He's putting out a deluxe box set of something featuring a song that mentions deluxe box sets as part of the glut of materialism, in a satirical fashion.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    He's putting out a deluxe box set of something featuring a song that mentions deluxe box sets as part of the glut of materialism, in a satirical fashion.
    Ah. I haven't listened to any of the songs yet. That makes sense.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I've got to admit that package looks far more intriguing now. Ultimately I'll have to listen to the album to judge, which I may have done prematurely but I'm not anymore hopeful for it. He's been chasing a hit for awhile now and I think it's had a de-appreciable effect on his work. Blackfield, a project that was at once a nice alternative to what he'd been doing in other bands, is about to put out a new album and have even less enthusiasm for it than I do TFB. Amazing that I'm even saying this considering how long I held up the flag here (and on the previous iteration of ETS too).
    i feel like he's getting less and less experimental as time goes on and that's pretty disappointing. the guy has such incredible ideas but he's too focused (or so it seems) on being accessible. i listened to "to the bone" a couple times through and i remember almost nothing from it. it's sitting weirdly between "pop hooks" and "memorable experimentalism" in this weird chasm of, dare i say, "boring" music, and that's the biggest sin a musician can commit (in my opinion). especially frustrating after how incredible "hand cannot erase" was. and that had BOTH of the things he's going for, balanced perfectly. /rant

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

In No-Man news, Tim Bowness said in a recent interview he and Steven are working on a boxset of their One Little Indian material! Says it'll be a 6-CD set, with vinyl releases alongside it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)