Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1371

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Porcupine Tree now has a bandcamp page, with some rare live material for download

Of particular interest is Pure Narcotic - Acoustic Session 2012, the final studio recordings.
    Hell yeah! Thanks for the heads up, sir.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's easy to forget, because of Wilson's current success and dominance over their material, just how good a band they were live. He allowed an equal space for everyone to shine, which lifts whatever song they were doing beyond even the recorded versions. I hear that in his bands as a solo artist, but it's more obvious that he's the one they all follow.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Speaking of Bandcamp I've been listening to some Bass Communion lately. That material makes a good comparison to the latest Ghosts release. When it comes to the ambient natures of each project, Reznor and Ross have a bit more nerve, where Wilson can really just let something lay and it gathers a subtle momentum in which the emotion can gather exponentially. It's been brought up a few times how awesome it would be if SW and Trent worked together and I feel like BC would be a perfect area of composing for particularly Trent to add his creativity to.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 04-03-2020 at 02:56 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A post shared by on

This was certain to be expected. I feel bad for him in the sense that this was surely going to be an elaborate presentation and to delay all of it will surely be a financial hit to him.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 04-22-2020 at 08:07 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The In Absentia deluxe set arrived today. Just finished the documentary. I've said many times before how I'm over the fact they (and this follows into his solo career too) never quite got the full due you'd think they deserved off the strength of their music. Towards the end he talks about being okay with it himself to a degree too, now that the album has kept selling at a steady pace. Steady enough to warrant such a lavish package.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    The In Absentia deluxe set arrived today. Just finished the documentary. I've said many times before how I'm over the fact they (and this follows into his solo career too) never quite got the full due you'd think they deserved off the strength of their music. Towards the end he talks about being okay with it himself to a degree too, now that the album has kept selling at a steady pace. Steady enough to warrant such a lavish package.
    how's the 5.1? i kind of wish they'd release a CD/Blu-Ray combo (just the new mix of the album and the 5.1) as a more affordable option, the way the some of the king crimson releases were done.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I could see that happening down the road, hopefully. I think the deluxe is a worthwhile purchase for the tracks on the 2nd disc alone, and some of the demos like the one for "Strip The Soul" that includes most of what became ".3" in the middle of it.

I sampled about half the album in surround. It sounds nice and full, not much gimmickry and with some things I either hadn't heard before or more clearly. I like that, as with most of SW's stuff in 5.1 there is a visual component to it and not just a blank or otherwise static background. It makes nice use of Hoile's artwork and imagery, as to enhance the experience.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 05-07-2020 at 05:25 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

https://porcupinetreeofficial.bandcamp.com/album/coma-coda-rome-1997

Everybody, go purchase this thing right now.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Didn't realize he only did "Every Home Is Wired" solo acoustic. That's one I could see coming back on his next tour, as it seems to have some semblance of a connection with the subject matter for his next album.

I'm watching the Insurgentes movie again. 2008 feels so fucking far away now, it's incredible. Apart from how he has changed, now being a family man and embracing things like streaming and social media, it just feels like a different world looking back at it. I wonder how he feels about that time, with the hindsight of being an established solo artist juxtaposed to being the frontman of Porcupine Tree and this kind of underground darling of the newer progressive rock bands.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 05-10-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

A post shared by on

if you don't know, steven's family adopted the cutest puppy i've ever seen and named it Bowie. and made a new instagram account for bowie.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm happy this material is on the In Absentia deluxe edition but I hope they re-release the Futile EP on streaming and/or Bandcamp. IA would be an even better album if some of these tracks were included, especially "Drown With Me". Concurrent with not releasing "Trains" as the big single, it's one of those oversights that were they spotted, it could have fared better in America. I think.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I'm happy this material is on the In Absentia deluxe edition but I hope they re-release the Futile EP on streaming and/or Bandcamp. IA would be an even better album if some of these tracks were included, especially "Drown With Me". Concurrent with not releasing "Trains" as the big single, it's one of those oversights that were they spotted, it could have fared better in America. I think.
    trains is one of my fav PT songs. it's so beautiful.

i swear Futile was on streaming, but it's definitely not now. weird.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    it's funny knowing that Steven was mainly against mass media / ipod / easy stuff and now he's always on Instagram for "anything" news..

I will never forget a show in Paris (20012 ?) when between the two parts, a speaker warned audience to stop making iphone photos (even without flash !). Few minutes later, Steven is back, his iphone in his hand for a short Instagram video and ask us to shout. I did a fuck !

I saw an evolution in this genius. 10 years ago, i'm sure we will never seen his wife visage on the web ! He was quite private.. and in fact who care of the beauty of his wife or cutest of his puppy.

I'm still buying every deluxe edition since the beginning. I only miss Insurgentes deluxe which is too expensive on ebay now ! I used to see between 2 and 4 shows for each tour.

I did a lot of miles for him, even go from France to New York and London for the last Porcupine Shows (just two PERFECT shows in perfect places) and did again London for nearly every Royal Albert Hall shows of his solo project.

But since he's (quite) famous, he's not exactly the same. But his music is still the same, but never the same between two albums.. it's enough for me.

I have just received in absentia deluxe.. have to listen to it carefully soon.
    Last edited by CAMEO172; 05-13-2020 at 04:11 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i swear Futile was on streaming, but it's definitely not now. weird.
    It is available for download on Burningshed.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I can't seem to know where to start. I have heard the name Porcupine Trees many years ago, maybe heard one album but can't remember anything. It keeps coming back in prog rock lists. I have tried listening to To The Bone and Hand Cannot Erase when they came out, but it didn't seemed to be what I'm looking for, maybe it was too mellow? It didn't grab my attention back then.

I have finally landed on Deadwing. And... I do enjoy it all. The sound is good, it's diverse enough, from mellow to energetic, a couple of longer (more than 5 minutes) tracks. I want to listen to it again, which is a good thing.

What should be the next two albums to try? (I want to start with 2 or 3 albums in order to focus and get properly accustomed). Thanks.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Fear of a Blank Planet !

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    I can't seem to know where to start. I have heard the name Porcupine Trees many years ago, maybe heard one album but can't remember anything. It keeps coming back in prog rock lists. I have tried listening to To The Bone and Hand Cannot Erase when they came out, but it didn't seemed to be what I'm looking for, maybe it was too mellow? It didn't grab my attention back then.

I have finally landed on Deadwing. And... I do enjoy it all. The sound is good, it's diverse enough, from mellow to energetic, a couple of longer (more than 5 minutes) tracks. I want to listen to it again, which is a good thing.

What should be the next two albums to try? (I want to start with 2 or 3 albums in order to focus and get properly accustomed). Thanks.
    Go with "In Absentia" and "Fear of a Blank Planet", then try "The Incident"

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    The deluxe edition of In Absentia flew under my radar, thankfully Amazon still has copies and I just snagged one.
    I really hope Deadwing is the next album to get the same treatment as In Absentia deluxe edition as well as a re-release of Fear of A Black Planet in 5.1.

For those that have a copy of IA deluxe, hows the quality of the whole package?
    I'm more interested in the 100 page booklet that is included as well as the documentary.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    The deluxe edition of In Absentia flew under my radar, thankfully Amazon still has copies and I just snagged one.
    I really hope Deadwing is the next album to get the same treatment as In Absentia deluxe edition as well as a re-release of Fear of A Black Planet in 5.1.

For those that have a copy of IA deluxe, hows the quality of the whole package?
    I'm more interested in the 100 page booklet that is included as well as the documentary.
    The documentary is good. Really just the four of them in contemporary interviews with lots of footage from the early 2000's. The booklet is really good too, expanding out the artwork with a nice essay that fills in the blanks left by the documentary.

It is a lovely package but not entirely 100 percent exciting. A few of the demos are interesting but I can't get over how programmed the drums sound. The "Strip the Soul" demo is the one that's most worthwhile for reasons already mentioned. The Futile EP on the third disc is much preferable.

I got mine from Amazon too, but I'm really considering emailing Burningshed for a replacement Blu-ray disc as it doesn't have all the features (extra tracks in hi-def stereo).

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    The documentary is good. Really just the four of them in contemporary interviews with lots of footage from the early 2000's. The booklet is really good too, expanding out the artwork with a nice essay that fills in the blanks left by the documentary.

It is a lovely package but not entirely 100 percent exciting. A few of the demos are interesting but I can't get over how programmed the drums sound. The "Strip the Soul" demo is the one that's most worthwhile for reasons already mentioned. The Futile EP on the third disc is much preferable.

I got mine from Amazon too, but I'm really considering emailing Burningshed for a replacement Blu-ray disc as it doesn't have all the features (extra tracks in hi-def stereo).
    Thanks for answering my questions, that definitely softened the blow to my wallet knowing that I'm getting exactly what I wanted.
    I will make sure that my Amazon copy sent the fixed version of the Blu Ray otherwise I will reach out to Burningshed to get a replacement.
    If I were you, I would definitely reach out to Burningshed for a replacement. Especially when you consider the cost of the entire package.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This is fun...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Some of my best live pictures are during a Nick shoot. so perfectly charismatic bass player !

2012 :

2013 (during Harmony Korine !)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Home Invasion - Live At The Royal Albert Hall is on Amazon Prime Video. Finished it last night. I didn't quite realize this from seeing the few clips of it I have so far, but it's cool that he finally had a band where he could have 3-part harmonies. In concert PT he had John Wesley and previous to that Maitland backing him up, in Blackfield it's obviously him and Aviv, and he himself backed up Tim Bowness in No-Man. And man, Craig Blundell is a monster. It's too bad he won't be in Steven's next band, but it's clear that it will be a mostly revolving door.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Speaking of Bandcamp I've been listening to some Bass Communion lately. That material makes a good comparison to the latest Ghosts release. When it comes to the ambient natures of each project, Reznor and Ross have a bit more nerve, where Wilson can really just let something lay and it gathers a subtle momentum in which the emotion can gather exponentially. It's been brought up a few times how awesome it would be if SW and Trent worked together and I feel like BC would be a perfect area of composing for particularly Trent to add his creativity to.
    Thanks for mentioning that! I didn't know the BC stuff is on bc. (:P) Any other SW projects I am missing on bandcamp?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Qualis_Dolor View Post
    Thanks for mentioning that! I didn't know the BC stuff is on bc. (:P) Any other SW projects I am missing on bandcamp?
    Porcupine Tree has a Bandcamp now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    Porcupine Tree has a Bandcamp now
    Thanks! Should've mentioned I know that one.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    is that light fixture made out of a rack tom???

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Last edited by onthewall2983; 07-17-2020 at 12:22 PM.