Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1372

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Yeah, Blackfield is pretty empty now. I'd rank them:
    I > II > V > For the Music > DNA >>>> IV

The B-sides Collection is so, so good. Not a filler track on it. All of them are atmospheric and moody. I haven't spent a dime on TFB proper (yet?) but I bought this collection on Tidal. Highly recommended!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Aviv flogging the name feels a bit desperate, even if Steven is involved on the kind of temporary level he has been for this and the fourth album.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    New blackfield is ok. At this point it's mostly a solo album. Blackfield more marketable I guess?

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Yeah, Blackfield is pretty empty now. I'd rank them:
    I > II > V > For the Music > DNA >>>> IV
    Really? i think "DNA" it's one of their best...

"IV" was boring and i liked a couple of songs from "V", i guess it's time to listen "For the Music", but i'm not expecting much...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    12 Things I Forgot is one of the dullest things he's done in quite a while. Eventually got to like the 1st 3 singles - Eminent Sleaze is let off just because of the bass...

I'm loving the little videos from the studio though...although Gary Kemp turning up was a weird 'surprise'.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    o

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The EP NSGRGNTS RMXS is available on the Kscope Bandcamp page.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Porcupine Tree remains one of my favorite bands, and I really enjoy his first two or three solo albums. But man, has his material over the past few years left me incredibly cold and indifferent. I wish that weren't the case - nothing feels worse than a musician you adore moving in a direction you dislike.

Still, guy puts on a great show. I'll always fork over the cash, no questions asked, to see him live whenever he plays in my town. Even if I hate his latest release.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzkokehead View Post
    Porcupine Tree remains one of my favorite bands, and I really enjoy his first two or three solo albums. But man, has his material over the past few years left me incredibly cold and indifferent. I wish that weren't the case - nothing feels worse than a musician you adore moving in a direction you dislike.

Still, guy puts on a great show. I'll always fork over the cash, no questions asked, to see him live whenever he plays in my town. Even if I hate his latest release.
    Did you try The B-sides Collection?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I haven't. To be honest, I've largely written off his latest output. I understand that the best artists have to evolve and all that, but his material over the past few years just hasn't been for me.

Although I don't exactly have an amazing social life in these COVID-19 days, so I might as well give it a shot. But let me ask: if I haven't resonated with his stuff for a while now, do you think The B-Sides Collection will change my mind?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

I haven't. To be honest, I've largely written off his latest output. I understand that the best artists have to evolve and all that, but his material over the past few years just hasn't been for me.

Although I don't exactly have an amazing social life in these COVID-19 days, so I might as well give it a shot. But let me ask: if I haven't resonated with his stuff for a while now, do you think The B-Sides Collection will change my mind?
    yeah, hand cannot erase was fantastic but to the bone did almost nothing for me and i have very little interest in the new album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I could barely get through To the Bone.

I did listen to The B-Sides Collection last night, and honestly... I remember very little of it. There was nothing that I hated, but nothing that stood out to me either. Move Like a Fever has a nice instrumental with an industrial vibe, but probably goes on a little too long. The remix of King Ghost was probably my favorite track, but I think that's due to me loving Tangerine Dream and their interpretation of the track, since I don't care for the original at all.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I can advise the Delerium Years Boxset. expensive but fabulous !

https://burningshed.com/store/porcup...91-1997_boxset

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I don't even know if I'd want to see him live to be honest. Not for this album, anyway. If PT got back together I absolutely would see them live. And according to this recent interview with him (11 minutes in, he also gives a pretty good explanation to why they stopped), it seems like he is entirely more open to the idea now.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I have seen Porcupine Tree live something like 6 times. I did the 2 last shows in Radio City Hall (my only time in US !) and Royal Albert Hall. Fabulous times !

I have seen Steven Wilson Solo project something like 10 or 15 times.. Since the two last tours, the fever is out for me.. The music is too different and the guy too.

on all PT shows I did, it was forbidden to record even a small clip. I understood that for him concert is something appart, a global concept only for people inside. I understand and accept it.
    On the last solo concert, it was still forbidden to record show but that was him that recorded the front stage a few times for his instagram account... f**k

I was against MP3/ipod as album (vinly or CD are a global art system and I agree with him) but do marketing on spotify / youtube now.

After gaining fame, he lost kind of his purity (according to me).

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i saw him live on grace for drowning, raven, and hand cannot erase (all at the Park West in chicago - small venue with the probably the best sound in the city) and each time was incredible. but i don't think i ever need to see him live again, unless he starts making music again that i can actually feel emotionally invested in :/

sadly i never got to see porcupine tree, but i have several of the live dvds which are excellent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I saw him solo several times on the Raven and To the Bone tours (and with Porcupine Tree for the Fear of Blank Planet tour). And although I didn't care for To the Bone at all, I can't deny that the show was fantastic. Although it admittedly helped that he played a fair number of Porcupine Tree songs, like Arriving Somewhere, The Creator has a Mastertape, and Sleep Together. I'd rather see the PT guys playing these songs, but unless we get a reunion tour - which would be nice, but I'm not necessarily holding my breath for - this is the only way I'll get to these songs live for the foreseeable future.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Insurgentes, Grace, Raven and Hand cannot are really 4 strong albums, each with at least 2 or 3 FABULOUS studio songs even better live and no more than one weak track !

It's difficult to write again Harmony Korine, no twilight within the courts of the sun, Raider II, Drive Home, Routine, Ancestral or The Raven that refused to sing (the song)....

I'm please he wants to evolve (like the pokemon)... this is maybe like Bowie : in 10 years we will understand and begin to love this new album..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I wouldn't agree with your assessment. He's definitely got more than one weak track on his past few albums. Insurgentes is fantastic, probably one my favorite records from him ever, honestly. Grace for Drowning is good, but falls into that old double album trap of "there's probably an amazing single album in here somewhere." Raven's has some material I enjoy, but it starts to feel like he's trying a bit too hard to recapture the prog rock albums of the 70's. What's the opposite of prog rock anyway? Reg rock? Hand. Cannot. Erase. I largely dislike, apart from a few tracks. And To the Bone... well, the less said about that, the better.

Musicians have gotta evolve, I get it. But he's going in a direction that I don't think plays to his strengths. I sincerely doubt I'll relisten to, say, To the Bone in 10 years time and fall in love; I feel as if I've given his solo material more than a chance at this point, and I simply don't like a significant portion of it.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Wow, suddenly i feel lucky. I saw Porcupine Tree 3 times (two of them were different dates of the same leg)

I would like to see a reunion someday, but now it's not the time, i want him to finish his "pop" cycle...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 01-05-2021 at 04:28 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    TFB has leaked. Really enjoying the non-singles, especially Man of the People and Count of Unease. The former is haunted af, and the latter a great atmo-ballad as SW is wont to end on. Really looking forward to hearing more of the b-sides still, which I'd still put ahead of the album itself, at least by The B-sides Collection's bar set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I looked all over, do you mind sharing where you found it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leftofzero View Post
    I looked all over, do you mind sharing where you found it?
    I second this, please.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldeaf2 View Post
    I second this, please.
    Never mind. I searched my soul and found it. It's pretty good as a whole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Would you mind pm ing me where you found it?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    well, I guess this is not so bad in the end, I played it a few times with the b-sides lumped in there too and i quite like the vibe, I still don't care for the concept but the music is pretty catchy and it's super well produced as usual.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    "Man of the people" is great, reminds me to Pink Floyd's "Welcome to the Machine".

I liked it, i don't think the album is THAT "poppish", it's more like an electro-prog album.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    After new album I returned to something else and it was so strong...

But I'm feeling kind of drowsy now
    So I'll finish this tomorrow...