Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1371

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Beautiful video for King Ghost. Jess Cope delivers in spades, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    In No-Man news, Tim Bowness said in a recent interview he and Steven are working on a boxset of their One Little Indian material! Says it'll be a 6-CD set, with vinyl releases alongside it.
    Way more excited for this than The Future Bites.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Like most musicians I'm currently unable to tour or perform in front of a live audience, so instead I'm starting a live in the studio video series called THE FUTURE BITES SESSIONS, creating new stripped down versions of songs in my own studio. Appropriately for Halloween the first one is a performance of new single KING GHOST. Please feel free to suggest any songs you would like me to revisit in this way, it's going to be fun!
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 11-13-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

The second in The Future Bites Sessions series is a version of Collapse The Light Into Earth. This song was originally released as the closing track on Porcupine Tree's 2002 album In Absentia. That version was written and mostly recorded in my home studio in 2001 during the immediate aftermath of 9/11, with Richard Barbieri adding to it later during the album sessions in New York. To date the song has never been performed live by either PT or my solo band, so I thought it would be a great choice to do in this format. I really hope you enjoy it, and please feel free to make suggestions of other songs you'd like to hear me do as part of the series.

PS - thanks for all the comments about the new studio, yes I'm very happy with it! I'm grateful to my wife Rotem and her friend interior designer Michal Strassburg for planning and designing it. Most of the new equipment came from Funky Junk, and the acoustic treatments were designed and fitted by Sound Zero Acoustics. The vocal microphone I use is an MS47 condenser tube (a clone of the classic Telefunken U47), the piano microphones are Soyuz, and the room mics are Austrian Audio. The M4000 mellotron was custom made for me a few years ago by Streetly Electronics in the UK, who have been making these wonderful beasts since 1963. The organ is a plug in (don't own a real one of those....yet!)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Don't get the hate for the new stuff, "King Ghost" is awesome!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    That's the one song that's growing on me. It feels a bit removed from the narrative, so it might be a track I can enjoy more on it's own. Really digging these new performances he's doing online.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    King Ghost is the only song that I immediately latched onto.

Personal Shopper took awhile, and I'm still not crazy about it. I accept it.

I don't get Eminent Sleaze. I think old timey vegas show.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I liked "Personal Shopper" the first two times I listened to it, but I haven't bothered with it again since.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    - "King Ghost" is great and probably in the album's context will sound even better.
    - "Personal Shopper" is good too, not pop at all, more like a NIN-version of SW; love how long it is and how it reminds me to "Voyage 34" at moments...
    - "Eminent Sleaze" is the weakest, but i still dig the Peter Gabriel-Phil Collins vibe it has, the bass is so funky!

Of course this will be a "POP" album, but i think Wilson "selling out" can bring an interesting album to the table, i'm not expecting "The Raven that refused to Sing Pt.2", i know the guy wants to dance, if Genesis, Marillion, Peter Gabriel and Yes did it, why can't he?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Unrelated to the current discussion but this song hit me right in the heart this morning and totally sums up this weekend for me

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

The third song from The Future Bites sessions is Drown With Me, performed with a drum machine, piano, and 2 acoustic guitars (one Nashville strung). Written in 2001, a version of the song was recorded the following year by Porcupine Tree during the In Absentia sessions, but this session version is based on the original demo which has a different chorus. I'm not sure why I changed it at the time because in retrospect I like this chorus better. Both the original demo and the Porcupine Tree recording of the song are included on the recently issued deluxe edition of In Absentia, so you can listen and make up your own mind which is best!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Weird new vocals, but it doesn't matter, will always be among my favorite PT songs...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm more attached to the original version, it has kind of a shoe-gazy vibe to it. The other chorus kind of makes it a little too busy and it jolted out at me when I heard the demo from the box set.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I'm more attached to the original version, it has kind of a shoe-gazy vibe to it. The other chorus kind of makes it a little too busy and it jolted out at me when I heard the demo from the box set.
    Yep, my favorite is the "Anesthetize" version, so tight, actually i saw them play that song live the first time i ever saw them...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I really like these new performances, redoing his stuff Cover Version style. I'd still like to see an album of original material that he just records entirely himself.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    This is, no lie, my favorite song of his, and this is a beautiful version of it

The fourth in session track is Significant Other, one of my favourite songs from my first solo album Insurgentes. This is another one that has never been performed live. Keep the suggestions coming!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This is, no lie, my favorite song of his, and this is a beautiful version of it

That is fantastic!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    This edition of one makes me sad, not because I will never have it but I really wonder if i had not lost my tiny nice Steven Wilson.. he seems to be so different, so too much proud of himself and so marketing addict.

His relationship with fans isn't the same than before, when he was a famous unknown musician (so until 3 ou 4 years ago).

I'm waiting for my "simple poor" deluxe edition and i hope being happy listen to it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's going to charity so at least that's something.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    "12 Things i forgot" is so far the poppiest, but reminds me to some of the stuff he did in "Lightbulb sun" (but happier...)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I hope the £10,000 exclusive song is 00:69 of fart sounds.

New song is Blackfield through and through. Not exciting for me – but the new b-sides might be, judging by the quality of Emineant Sleaze b-sides.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I like it. I have less a problem with the form but as I said, his attempt at satire. This and "King Ghost" don't have those aspirations like "Personal Shopper" does. The video premieres tomorrow (on Black Friday of course) btw.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Funny video.
    Gotta love Steven not doing social distance...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm guessing everyone was tested for the shoot.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I'm guessing everyone was tested for the shoot.
    I'm sure they got tested

I just find it funny, the high-five was so corny, lol

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

The fifth in The Future Bites sessions series is my current single 12 THINGS I FORGOT. For this one I invited my buddy Gary Kemp of Spandau Ballet and A Saucerful of Secrets over to do a fantastic and soulful job on the harmony vocals, thanks Gary! Look out for some more guests on future session tracks.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I just received the Delirium Years Boxset : 3.2 kg !!

Still have to listen to all the Cds !

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    New "B-Sides Collection", "Evewitness" is great.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I have listen to the last Blackfield release, For the Music..
    It sound like a pop album without soul, rock and creativity : this is probably a Aviv Geffen alone project now..
    Older albums (blackfield IV and V) begun to sound like this as Steven was mainly on his solo project.