Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1372

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post

A post shared by on

Burningshed pre-order
    Fuck, this looks great.

If only we could get SW into bed with TR so a similar set could be produced for The Fragile.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Fuck, this looks great.

If only we could get SW into bed with TR so a similar set could be produced for The Fragile.
    yeah if there's anyone i'd want to mix TF in 5.1 (even though i know it's already been done yet never released), it's steven. i already know he's a fan of the album!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Fuck, this looks great.

We got one called Definitive Edition. It's phenomenal (if you have a turntable).

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    We got one called Definitive Edition. It's phenomenal (if you have a turntable).
    No.

What NIN did was repackage the same LP that was released years ago (albeit remastered) with bare-bones additional content. Boring and disappointing considering the wealth of material that we know exists from that era. There's no way that the "definitive" version of that album doesn't have the (with decay) ending to Ripe or Appendage. Bob Ezrin says there were over 4 hours of music in his essay. Where exactly is that?

Look at what SW gives us here:

Disc 1: Remaster.
    Disc 2: All other studio recordings of material from the In Absentia sessions.
    Disc 3: 70 minutes of demos and unreleased tracks.
    Disc 4: Stereo remaster of Discs 1 and 2 along with a 5.1 mix in hi-rez. Plus, an almost two-hour documentary.

That's not even including the 100 page book that comes along with it...

Oh, and this is on CD. And it's only £55, while the NIN store is selling The Fragile DE for £50.

Now *THAT'S* a fucking Definitive Edition.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Wilson has pretty much everyone else schooled on these kinds of releases, short of the King Crimson sets (which he of course had a hand in with many of them on the surround side).

I'm much more eager for the Deadwing set but this looks great. It would be great if they go back to Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun and release a deluxe box for those, with the albums all the way up to The Incident getting sets. It would be a nice addendum to the PT legacy.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Finally listening to Love You To Bits. Might be the most interesting SW first listen for me in terms of grabbing me immediately since HCE. Working in the kind of longer-format compositions like this is welcome, even considering the more electronic and dance elements in play here. Bowness is always kind of the cherry on top, his voice perfect against the music. I prefer the more abstract No-Man records like Together We're Stranger, more dependent on creating an atmosphere. That is the case here too, but with more emphasis on rhythm.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 12-15-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    That bass riff groove is very Mick Karn. I also enjoy the long-composition format and the atmosphere. This album cycle has been a pleasant surprise. It came out of nowhere and it might be their best work together since the 90s.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    LU2B was immediately up with my no-man favourites the first time the album ended. Bit 4 is my favourite moment, but I probably prefer Pieces overall. And Shreds is a fantastic addendum (or breather in between the two sides) brimming over with atmosphere.

Kinda thinking I will like this more than new SW. Time will tell.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    LU2B was immediately up with my no-man favourites the first time the album ended. Bit 4 is my favourite moment, but I probably prefer Pieces overall. And Shreds is a fantastic addendum (or breather in between the two sides) brimming over with atmosphere.

Kinda thinking I will like this more than new SW. Time will tell.
    guess i should check this out because i'm still very lukewarm on To The Bone

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I still need to hear this. Not a huge fan of the vocalist.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    No-Man is a different animal to Wilson's other projects because he doesn't sing at all on any of the records (apart from backing vocals and harmonies), and it's perhaps the least rock-oriented group he is in too. It's art rock to the nth degree, and it's managed to remain his most interesting project besides his solo work to me. I hope more of their earlier stuff will become available on Spotify and other outlets. Neither Steven or Tim are crazy about some of it, but I think they do still hold stuff like "Days In The Trees" in regard.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    guess i should check this out because i'm still very lukewarm on To The Bone
    I actually meant the upcoming 2020 new SW – I definitely like this more than TTB!

I hope more of their earlier stuff will become available on Spotify and other outlets. Neither Steven or Tim are crazy about some of it, but I think they do still hold stuff like "Days In The Trees" in regard.
    I love all of it, but especially the early stuff. It combines an arty approach with atmospheric electronic and that's totes my kinda jam. Really pisses me off that One Little Indian just sit on it without doing anything; Tim and others have written about various attempts to work with OLI to do anniversary reissues of Flowermouth and Loveblows over the years, none of which resulted in anything. In fact, a friend has been having a successful time getting his hands on early no-man work that would have probably been extras on a Loveblows deluxe edition, such as a recent post of the 8-minute version of Tulip:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Pretty sure this is the same remaster as was on the vinyl reissue a couple of years back yes?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    For what it’s worth I preordered In Absentia remastered in 24/96 from 7digital

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    Pretty sure this is the same remaster as was on the vinyl reissue a couple of years back yes?
    Yes, I believe so. Same will be for Deadwing that was done at the same time, whenever that deluxe thing comes out.

It's definitely significantly better, too. Listening on Tidal is far less suffocating. Then again, I always found IA had the kind of mix from Tim Palmer that lent itself to being blown up pretty hard, so I never minded the original master by Andy VanDette except in some moments like the droning at the end of Strip the Soul when the clipping was really obvious. Deadwing was always the one that got murdered, especially Mother & Child Divided.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i have that vinyl and it sounds amazing​ compared to the earlier pressing i had

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    i have that vinyl and it sounds amazing​ compared to the earlier pressing i had
    Same! Deadwing, too!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Same! Deadwing, too!
    yeah, that's what finally got me into deadwing. i bought in absentia on CD around when it came out (just based on the cover art) but when deadwing was released i was just kinda "meh" so i never bought it. even when i got into the rest of their catalog, that album was still not something i really cared about listening to. but then i got that pressing on vinyl and i finally GOT it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    yeah, that's what finally got me into deadwing. i bought in absentia on CD around when it came out (just based on the cover art) but when deadwing was released i was just kinda "meh" so i never bought it. even when i got into the rest of their catalog, that album was still not something i really cared about listening to. but then i got that pressing on vinyl and i finally GOT it.
    It’s a whole in my digital collection because you know it’s gonna get that same treatment probably next year.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A post shared by on

He said on his more recent IG post that new music is coming soon. Guessing the album itself will come out late spring/early summer.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 03-05-2020 at 11:56 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I love this. There’s a countdown on the site, too. Looks like new SW music in 6 days.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I can't help but think it's funny he is poking at consumerism, just after the big re-release of his former band's most well-known album.

But something fully conceptual is quite welcome, and bodes well for something more adventurous than TTB was.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I can't help but think it's funny he is poking at consumerism, just after the big re-release of his former band's most well-known album.

But something fully conceptual is quite welcome, and bodes well for something more adventurous than TTB was.
    I mean it is a bit humorous considering he is a big proponent of deluxe editions as an artist. But then again, that could be argued as something of real sentimental value for the artists and fans as a real artform with extras versus general mundane consumerist demographic bullshit that plagues our materialistic society. But that wouldn't be far from subject matter he has already delved into in past concepts. On the other hand, I'm not entirely certain of the direction this album is going yet even with the preview.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It is a double-edged sword, certainly. I acknowledge that what he's done with these releases is important in as far as preserving the experience of music as a tangible, physical object as opposed to being a bunch of ones and zeros.

He hasn't really done many interviews lately and has been kind of mum about the musical direction he is going in now, even on his social media. Him not spilling the beans as much on what shape his next work will take is a good move on his part, it will keep some mystery to it until we get the first taste.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

You *do* know that he signed off on the In Absentia remaster and includes a new remaster by SW himself, right?

If anything TFB is a continuation of the Truth campaign of the To The Bone tour and its looking at life under a magnifying glass.

And just like then, the right wing fans who voted for Trump/Brexit are going to be blissfully offended and I will be here for that with bells on.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Well yeah

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Last edited by onthewall2983; 03-07-2020 at 05:40 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Last edited by onthewall2983; 03-10-2020 at 04:16 PM.