Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I'm a massive fan of No-Man's "Heaven Taste" but the new 12" release just sucks. Why would he bother editing it yet again? Was the 10-minute edit on All the Blue Changes not good enough? Now there's the original release (21:19), the Heaven Taste EP full length version (22:30ish), and the two edits (10 vs. 11 minutes).

I decided to spend the extra 6 euro on Discogs and get the original single release (21:19). Jeez.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Steven Wilson talks streaming, e.g. "On 17th June, Steven is releasing Insurgentes, Grace for Drowning, The Raven that Refused to Sing (and Other Stories), Hand.Cannot.Erase, 4½ and Cover Version to the following services: Apple Music, Deezer, Google Play, Napster, Spotify and Tidal."

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/steven-...lks-streaming/

Personally, streaming is not for me, I will continue to use CD player and mp3 player (for which I rip my CDs myself), mobile data are FUP and a bit expensive, and I can't see myself listening to music all the time anyway. And for background music I prefer silence. :-) But good for Steven and new fans probably.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Whatever gets his stuff out there, and to more people, is fine by me.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    On Spotify, his account includes the "Dream Kitchen Mixtape" from HCE.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Insurgentes wasn't on Apple Music when I checked yesterday.

However, its new remaster is now up at HDtracks.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Being able to stream mobile at minimal compression 320k Ogg Vorbis is a deal maker for me, which is why I was very excited to see Wilson release his catalog on Spotify. I have all the physical albums and I have everything ripped to my phone SD card in FLAC. But it is so much easier to recommend an artist when it's readily available in high quality on their mobile device. Some people want lossless streaming, but that seems like overkill on a mobile platform. Cellular bandwidth rates and caps just aren't compatible yet. And if I'm on WiFi, then I'm probably home and using my lossless storage or physical media anyway. But for the general mobile user, $9.99 Premium on Spotify seems to hit the sweet spot economically wise and convenience wise, and I'm glad Wilson finally gave into the idea. It's easy to suggest and link his music to new listeners if you're at a pub or a gathering because so many people already have a Spotify account besides. Even if you don't like streaming, you've got to understand the current music business model for artists today. A good move by Wilson, IMO.

Sent from my LG G4.
    Last edited by pulse; 06-19-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's a great move. Especially if he can bridge the gap between the limitations of the format, and some of the things he's been able to do with the physical formats of his albums as he touches on in the interview. It's actually inspired me to dust off my own Spotify account and start making playlists.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Steven returning to the US this November, playing in areas missed during his jaunt earlier this year

3rd - Roseland Theater, Portland
    4th - The Masonic, San Francisco
    5th - The Belasco, Los Angeles
    6th - Belly Up, Solano Beach
    9th - Celebrity Theatre, Phoenix
    11th - In The Venue, Salt Lake City
    12th - Gothic Theatre, Denver
    15th - Majestic Theatre, Dallas
    17th - Center Stage, Atlanta
    18th - The Plaza Live, Orlando
    19th - State Theatre, Tampa
    20th - culture room, Fort Lauderdale

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just scored a 5th row for SF!!! this is gonna be magic.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Paul Draper, formerly of Mansun released EP One a few weeks ago. It features SW playing guitars, bass, synth and mellotron on the track "No Ideas".

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Anyone see hi-res images of the Beat and TOAPP covers specifically for the 2016 40th anniversary releases? I found a massive one of Discipline when it came out so if any stores have these new images up, that'd be great to have – everything KC accounts have been posting is tiny/old.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    He's doing a live Q&A on Facebook August 4th.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I miss that band. Richard Barbieri's synths and keys made their sound so distinctive and ethereal. I really hope Steven plans to make music with his old mates again.

Sent from my LG G4.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Facebook Q&A going on right now. Just answered a question about "Heartattack On a Layby" that's made me see the song in a different light.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    No live album/DVD/whathaveyou for the HCE tour. He hopes to do something live for the touring cycle for the next album he's working on.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    No live album/DVD/whathaveyou for the HCE tour. He hopes to do something live for the touring cycle for the next album he's working on.
    booooooooooooooo

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    can you elaborate on that? When I last talked to him he was quite excited to get to work with this and come up with a neat concept above your average live DVD release. Did he give reasons to why it's being scraped?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    can you elaborate on that? When I last talked to him he was quite excited to get to work with this and come up with a neat concept above your average live DVD release. Did he give reasons to why it's being scraped?
    In short, he states his concept was too expensive to pull off this go around but he hopes to document the live show on film next tour cycle.

Sent from my LG G4.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    He also stated that live DVD's just don't sell as well as they used to, and that he'd get a bigger audience for it if he just threw it up on YouTube.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Perhaps a bigger note to add about that Q&A. A fan in Germany I believe asked the inevitable when is Porcupine Tree question and Steven hastily responded with, "you'll be waiting a long time, that band no longer exists."

No surprise six years removed, but it seems we won't see another Porcupine Tree tour, much less album.

Sent from my LG G4.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Perhaps a bigger note to add about that Q&A. A fan in Germany I believe asked the inevitable when is Porcupine Tree question and Steven hastily responded with, "you'll be waiting a long time, that band no longer exists."

No surprise six years removed, but it seems we won't see another Porcupine Tree tour, much less album.
    Yeah, not a big shock. I keep saying it but I think it's for the best. He's doing the best work of his career now on his own and going back to them would feel like a step backwards. Plus, let's be honest here, it's only SW's small but dedicated audience that is clamoring for such a reunion to happen so there's not even the larger financial incentive to do it like there always is with defunct bands usually.

He did seem convinced by one of the questions that he should do another Bass Communion album soon, and there's still the next Blackfield album waiting in the wings too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm actually excited that Steven's incorporating more electronic gadgetry and melodies into the new album, though he stated it would still be fundamentally a rock album. I'm also excited he's going to use Ninet again on vocals. Perhaps some more developed dialogue between them in the same songs, whatever the story or concept ends up being. Though perhaps he may do a collection of songs like Insurgentes and GFD instead of a concept album this time.

Sent from my LG G4.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I'm actually excited that Steven's incorporating more electronic gadgetry and melodies into the new album, though he stated it would still be fundamentally a rock album. I'm also excited he's going to use Ninet again on vocals. Perhaps some more developed dialogue between them in the same songs, whatever the story or concept ends up being. Though perhaps he may do a collection of songs like Insurgentes and GFD instead of a concept album this time.

Sent from my LG G4.
    I know 'it's been done,' but he is in a unique position to do a simultaneous playback album: the primary, prog rock mix, and the accompanying Bass Communion disc with layers of electronics, drones, and whatever else. Frankly shocked he hasn't, given that he made a whole record while doing Grace for Drowning.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    I know 'it's been done,' but he is in a unique position to do a simultaneous playback album: the primary, prog rock mix, and the accompanying Bass Communion disc with layers of electronics, drones, and whatever else. Frankly shocked he hasn't, given that he made a whole record while doing Grace for Drowning.
    and given his penchant for mixing in 5.1, he could easily do what Rosetta did with The Gallilean Satellites and have the fronts be the "primary" and the rears be the "secondary" disc as an optional listening experience, besides doing a more integrated one.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    There an NPR station here that plays psych/prog rock on Wednesday nights that's all vinyl, and they attempted one night to play both discs of Rosetta simultaneously. I think I heard the first song and it was interesting, but as I'd never heard it before it didn't blow my mind or anything. I'm surprised Steven hasn't done this himself either, it would be a cool concept. Some of the songs on Hand. Cannot. Erase. have a different feel to them without the vocals, particularly "Perfect Life" and "Transience".

I imagine it will be more a collection of songs this time. He's striving, as always to do something different. He stresses that when he's asked about the direction he wants to take it. That's what makes the anticipation so palpable for me, contemplating how different it will be this time.

It's great he's utilizing Ninet again. I always thought it would be interesting if he ever did something like he did with No-Man, but with a female singer/songwriter. That would not be her role in this, but I'm sure whatever she does will be fantastic. Now that she comes up, I'll have to see if her record ever came out. I liked the song Steven linked on his FB that I put here a few pages back.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 08-07-2016 at 10:52 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    There an NPR station here that plays psych/prog rock on Wednesday nights that's all vinyl, and they attempted one night to play both discs of Rosetta simultaneously. I think I heard the first song and it was interesting, but as I'd never heard it before it didn't blow my mind or anything.
    Ah man, you should have stuck around! The first song and the last two are amazing, and still the band's peak imo.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Blackfield V ​out in November