Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    There will be additional tracks on the Blu-ray version of the upcoming EP accompanying the version of "Lazarus" recorded this year, instrumental versions of "My Book of Regrets", "Happiness III", and "Don't Hate Me". "Don't Hate Me" on the EP comes as a duet with him and Ninet, but there will additionally be a version with just him singing.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 12-26-2015 at 08:16 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    There will be additional tracks on the Blu-ray version of the upcoming EP accompanying the version of "Lazarus" recorded this year, instrumental versions of "My Book of Regrets", "Happiness III", and "Don't Hate Me". "Don't Hate Me" on the EP comes as a duet with him and Ninet, but there will additionally be a version with just him singing.
    So there's an entirely instrumental EP version, considering the remaining tracks are wordless.

I find it so strange that he cares so much about making instrumental versions available. Still as insecure about his voice as in 1993, when he decided to leave "Phantoms" off UTD (and thus unreleased until 2002) for this exact reason.

(Still not preordering until I hear a damn sample.)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I doubt it's about his voice. He's put instrumental mixes on the stuff he does for other artists too.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Happy new year to everyone and best wishes for a productive and above all peaceful 2016!

On a personal note thank you to everyone that took the time to listen to Hand. Cannot. Erase. and came along to the shows. I really hope you enjoyed the album, but even if you didn't thanks for taking the time to check it out anyway, and there's usually something else just around the corner. In this case that "something else" is a new 37 minute mini-album released on 22nd January called “4 ½”, which rounds up some songs that were written over the last few years, but that I couldn't fit into the last two albums. Nevertheless I'm very proud of these songs, so it's great to have finished them off properly and to give them their moment. The album will be released on CD, vinyl, and high resolution blu-ray.

The first half of 2016 will be dedicated to a busy touring schedule, with a revamped show, including many countries I've not visited before as a solo artist. I'm happy to say that many shows are close to selling out, so be sure to book tickets now to avoid disappointment. For more information about the tour and where to buy tickets, click here - http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/tour-dates/
    Also a reminder that if you haven't already you can subscribe to the recently introduced official SW newsletter, which includes a lot of exclusive content. The first 2 editions carried a 2 part interview about 4 ½, and the next one due later this month will have an extensive update on my work remixing classic albums. The December newsletter also included my own list of favourite albums of 2015, but if you missed it they are also listed below (in no particular order). You can sign up for future newsletters here - http://stevenwilsonhq.com/…/sign-up-...s-news…/

Max Richter - Sleep
    Kreng - The Summoner
    Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness
    Foals - What Went Down
    36 - Void Dance
    Sunn O))) - Kannon
    Vatican Shadow - Death in Unity With God
    Gaz Coombes - Matador
    AFX - Orphaned Deejay Selek 2006-08
    Magma - Slag Tanz

And some highly recommended albums by friends:
    Tim Bowness- Stupid Things That Mean the World
    Gavin Harrison - Cheating the Polygraph
    Riverside - Love, Fear and the Time Machine
    Lonely Robot - Please Come Home
    BTW, I found this. It's slipped a little under the radar but I found it today, much better than I expected.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Steven did "Space Oddity" as his last encore tonight
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 01-21-2016 at 04:04 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I can't believe I'm saying this but 4 ½ was kind of a disappointment to me.
    My Book Of Regrets stands out, but other than that no particular track was on par with SW standards.
    I wonder why Steven chose to duet with Ninet on the new Don't Hate Me. I'm not saying it's bad, I just don't see the point.

Maybe I expected this to be SW solo career's Nil Recurring too much.
    Or maybe I'll regret posting this because it could grow on me after a few more spins..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    I can't believe I'm saying this but 4 ½ was kind of a disappointment to me.
    My Book Of Regrets stands out, but other than that no particular track was on par with SW standards.
    I wonder why Steven chose to duet with Ninet on the new Don't Hate Me. I'm not saying it's bad, I just don't see the point.

Maybe I expected this to be SW solo career's Nil Recurring too much.
    Or maybe I'll regret posting this because it could grow on me after a few more spins..
    To be fair, Nil Recurring was amazing because Gavin Harrison was an incredible monster on it. That's one of his finest moments. Steven's new record is still good, it just doesn't feel as complete as compared to his these other elaborate works he's released the past decade. I do like the duet version of Don't Hate Me though. I'm glad he released 4 1/2. I'll certainly take it over nothing. I'm sure his next fully focused album will be excellent like his previous full releases.

Speaking of Nil Recurring, I hope he starts getting an itch to scratch with his old mates. I love his solo career, but it sure would be nice get another album from Porcupine Tree.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    To be fair, Nil Recurring was amazing because Gavin Harrison was an incredible monster on it. That's one of his finest moments. Steven's new record is still good, it just doesn't feel as complete as compared to his these other elaborate works he's released the past decade. I do like the duet version of Don't Hate Me though. I'm glad he released 4 1/2. I'll certainly take it over nothing. I'm sure his next fully focused album will be excellent like his previous full releases.

Speaking of Nil Recurring, I hope he starts getting an itch to scratch with his old mates. I love his solo career, but it sure would be nice get another album from Porcupine Tree.
    The reason why I mentioned Nil Recurring was because it was also short, but much more denser, flowed well and felt complete. Gavin Harrison was huge on that record, indeed.

Regarding PT reunion: after the RAH shows I think GH playing drums on his next solo album is most probable (and the closest we can get for the next few years).
    I also want to hear tracks like Year Of The Plague or Vermillioncore reconstructed/remixed by Bass Communion.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Felt like shit today, so I decided to listen to 4 ½. Instant fixer-upper. "Just wait till the morning comes..." Indeed.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    4½ is great. Everything is up to par with HCE except "Vermillioncore," which is pretty meh by my estimation. My highlights are "Year of the Plague" and "Sunday Rain Sets In."

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    My blu-ray arrived earlier today. I was pleasantly surprised at the packaging. Much much better than the Drive Home EP, not to mention the beautiful photos/artwork inside.
    I changed the track order a bit - Lazarus 2015 instead of Happiness III and Don't Hate Me (SW Vocal Version) instead of the original. It flows much better now IMO.
    I've always thought his songs sound best when he sings it himself. Routine was an unique exception, but he penned that song with a female singer in mind.
    But overall, it sounds much better now. Definitely a good EP. 7/10?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    My blu-ray arrived earlier today. I was pleasantly surprised at the packaging. Much much better than the Drive Home EP, not to mention the beautiful photos/artwork inside.
    I changed the track order a bit - Lazarus 2015 instead of Happiness III and Don't Hate Me (SW Vocal Version) instead of the original. It flows much better now IMO.
    I've always thought his songs sound best when he sings it himself. Routine was an unique exception, but he penned that song with a female singer in mind.
    But overall, it sounds much better now. Definitely a good EP. 7/10?
    He just said in an interview published today that DHM was intended to be a duet. Personally, I hold both versions in equal esteem – it's the Arriving Somewhere version that falls short, lacking the sax and all.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The new version of "Don't hate me" is great, a lot more jazzy and even reminded me to early Porcupine Tree at the last part.
    I hope he plays "Vermillioncore" live in Mexico, if he does i will go apeshit..

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    He just said in an interview published today that DHM was intended to be a duet. Personally, I hold both versions in equal esteem – it's the Arriving Somewhere version that falls short, lacking the sax and all.
    I didn't have a slightest idea that song was intended to be a duet until I read that interview.
    But if he says so, so be it - but I still think that song has one narrative/two emotions, and the original feeling of DHM that I loved is lost in this new version.
    But again, he also released the solo version of DHM (albeit being a blu-ray exclusive bonus track), so I'm content. I just consider the duet version of DHM as a '2016 live version' with Ninet - and it's good, too.
    Last edited by Lerxto; 01-22-2016 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    listened in my car a few times, but right now i'm finally listening to the blu-ray in 5.1. what a fucking difference that makes. steven really makes music that needs to be heard live and/or in surround sound. there's just too much auditory information to fit in two channels.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I just got the MP3 version. Think I'll wait on the Blu-ray until the songs fully sink in more. I prefer listening to stuff in surround once I'm very familiar with it in regular stereo.

It's a nice transitional piece to whatever comes next. The new version of "Don't Hate Me" pops and I'm digging what Brundell has brought to the band dynamic. "My Book of Regrets" and "Happiness III" are a little too poppy for my tastes but I think they'll sink in eventually. The latter sounds like it could have been a Porcupine Tree song from the late 90's.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 02-04-2016 at 04:09 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i have $85 worth of reward points i can use on my credit card right now, so i was gonna buy the Delerium Years 8xLP vinyl box set since it's only $108 on Burning Shed. but shipping is over $50. what the fuck? i get that 8 LPs is heavy, but that's bullshit. i actually checked and, even through a third party seller, i can get it for $118 INCLUDING shipping (£75 plus £8 shipping). so i'm debating whether that's actually going to work or not.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Is the third party shipping from the UK?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Is the third party shipping from the UK?
    i would imagine so. their seller profile lists a UK address.

anyway, as much as i want this box set, i think i'm going to use the free money for something a little less...extravagant? maybe get a few other things. how's the 5.1 mix of Fear Of A Blank Planet?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    About time Steven got his own Meathead(s):

And let's not forget this cute thing http://askstevenwilson.tumblr.com/

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    There used to be a facebook profile with a character called "Stiven Wilson".
    You could submit your own bitstrips, it was comedy gold!, sadly it got shut down by FB so it lasted very little; here's the one i made a few years ago:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    His latest update on the US tour is that Ninet will be featured in all but the Boston shows (which she is missing for personal reasons).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    So Steven's voice was shot last night due to illness, he and drummer Craig Brundell were sick but the show carried on. Details on the exact setlist are sketchy at the moment (the Setlist.FM page has changed a few times already), but it appears that Ninet sang most of the show herself (with Dave Kilminster singing a couple songs, and even SW managing to carry a few as well).

As if I didn't have enough respect and reverence for his abilities as a musician, his willingness to go on with the show has made him all the more admirable in my eyes.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    As if I didn't have enough respect and reverence for his abilities as a musician, his willingness to go on with the show has made him all the more admirable in my eyes.
    I respect that too, but I know for absolute fact that if I had gone to that show, every time I thought about it or talked about it with someone, I'd automatically start with "too bad his voice was gone." Really, the same thing would happen if he'd piped in the lead vox from the backing tracks, or if they'd done most of the show instrumentally, or whatever. So I'm not sure what the best resolution would be, regarding cancelling vs. playing on.