Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Shit man, that was a great interview! Easily one of the most intriuging and clever artists I have spoken to in my time as a writer or concert-goer. Very laid back and open-minded, yet a bit uptight in the most lovely way. He was talking a bit more freely as in the interview that was posted, but I guess that's because I wanted it to feel like a dialog for him and he was at home on the phone apparently.

Got nothing groundbreaking from him, but rather a nice chat about his work attitude and of course the new album (mainly the tought that goes into to the packaging and visual presentation).

I never talkted to TR but I'd figure he'd be on the same level when it comes to technical stuff, processes etc.

Right now I'm very much looking forward to holding the record in my hand and discovering the bonus stuff.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    edit: nevermind

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Just read the Prog article/interview. Looks like he's swinging for the fences PR-wise for this one. With my limited knowledge of what's going on with popular music in America let alone the UK, I have mixed feelings. His work stands apart from so much, even the kind of music that has been released in the wake of his influence, that it feels too precious to me to become actually mainstream.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Like I said, I was quite surprised to even get such an easy interview with him and at the end of it there were already people trying to get through for the next one. He is quite sought after right now from what I experienced.

I aksed him how it feels to be overwhelmed with superlatives whenever his name pops up. genius. reinventor. etc. and while he said that all of this is quite flattering, he knows where he is coming from and that he put alot of work into his career that eventually paid off. And he is proud of that. He also thinks that the scene right now for this particular kind of music that he is doing lacks competition. He basically wishes for mor artists coming out with conceptual records or even a more ambitious approach to music rather than throwing 10 songs on a record that have no connection to each other.

He seems very aware of his status in the way his concerts feel more like a gathering of likeminded and really wants to stay away as far as possible from any kind of trend. Delivering a top notch performance, putting alot of work into the presentation of his music outside of the record and so on is what drives him.

I highly doubt that he will enter mainstream while he is very capable of maybe writing a hit single. But that is more Porcupine Tree territory IMHO.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    New single and video:

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    That is beautiful.

A coworker once recommended me Porcupine Tree, knowing I like a bit similar Archive, I thought something like "nice, but not enough to keep". But now I am intrigued, who is this Wilson dude? :-) I will keep an eye or two.

Update: Limited version ordered. :-) I will have it Feb 27th (Germany). Now http://handcannoterase.com/ to study what this is about.
    Last edited by Substance242; 02-04-2015 at 02:35 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    the song reminds me to something else, something pop i already her but i can't put my finger on it...

anyway, liked the track, it's "popish" as "Hand cannot erase" but great too...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    It is different, but yet somehow it reminded me Recoil's "Luscious apparatus" (no official link, so e.g. ), that one also as usual for Recoil builds up drama... and those echoing guitars or whatever maybe a bit "If you wear that velvet dress" by U2... but not a copy at all. I love those "concept" albums like "The Wall" or "Controlling crowds" (Archive) or "Hesitation Marks" (maybe you know that one), and after finished reading the web I am intrigued even more. OK, Steven, you got my attention. :-)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I touched on it before, but I truly do feel this is the record that might draw a lot of new ETS people to what he does. Even if it's just one, I feel happy about that. So good for you, Substance242

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i was hoping the monologues would be Max Richter style and i wasn't disappointed!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yeah I am well onboard, I can tell that by the fact that this was the first thing I was thinking about now in the morning. It is a bit worrying that I guess this story could happen to me too - I would disappear one day and the few that know me would be like "typical, that's just him, he doesn't care about us or anything". :-/ Even the diary web got me "frozen" thinking a few times.

(Edit: ...yes it was me who wrote here that lyrics are not THAT important, heh.)

Edit 2: Also looking forward to disc 2 (from amazon.de):
    1. 5.1 Surround Mix (DVD)
    2. Hi - Res Stereo Mix (DVD)
    3. Studio Dokumentation (DVD)
    Even more when Steven got Grammy for 5.1 sound (I was studying yesterday). :-)

Edit 3: OK, I need something in my life to look forward to, so... just bought ticket to Stuttgart. Well, that went fast! ;-)
    Last edited by Substance242; 02-05-2015 at 04:02 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Two more great interviews. Beware, they include spoilers of the album's story. You'll also hear music that isn't in the two released tracks:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    And another...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thorough review with high praise:

http://fdrmx.com/steven-wilson-hand-...-album-review/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Somehow I missed this last fall, but Steven Rothery of Marillion put out an album called The Ghosts of Pripyat. Steven Wilson appears on the track, "Old Man of the Sea" along with Steve Hacket. Attack of the three Steves!

Anyway, this is a beautiful instrumental album. You can purchase and download the entire album or just the track with Wilson in mp3 or lossless FLAC here, or if you want the physical release, you can purchase the cd/dvd special edition here.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    just bought ticket to Stuttgart. Well, that went fast! ;-)
    Stuttgart (and Manchester, London; Rome; Munich, Hamburg) are now "LAST FEW TICKETS".

String "SOLD OUT" is 30 times on the page.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I'm a bit bummed that the show in Munich is seated apparently. Hope people are standing up or that there is an area where you can stand without annoying anyone that actually chooses to sit.

Berlin is standing as far as I'm concerned which is a bit nicer IMHO.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I'm a bit bummed that the show in Munich is seated apparently. Hope people are standing up or that there is an area where you can stand without annoying anyone that actually chooses to sit.

Berlin is standing as far as I'm concerned which is a bit nicer IMHO.
    i've only ever seen him at park west here in chicago (twice), which is, for the most part, seated. and the people standing tend to simply stand and listen. from his reactions and interaction with the crowd, it seems like steven is ok / happy with people not moshing around and would rather have them listen to and focus on the music rather than thrashing all over the place.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^The best songs released from "Hand. Cannot. Erase.", so far, reminded me to Marillion, Rush, Emerson, Lake and Palmer and Pink Floyd, this guy sure knows how to get it done...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think I just peed a little. That was incredible.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Looks like there's also a Blu-Ray version of Hand. Cannot. Erase. with content not available on CD/DVD.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Cannot-Er...s_all_1#disc_1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Looks like there's also a Blu-Ray version of Hand. Cannot. Erase. with content not available on CD/DVD.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Cannot-Er...s_all_1#disc_1
    The Blu-Ray version was there when they announced pre-ordering.
    The extra content seems to be:
    "- Seven additional alternative versions, mixes & radio edits."
    "- Instrumental Versions of all album tracks (96/24 Stereo LPCM)."
    Although Deluxe version has it all + more:
    "- Original demos CD (exclusive to this edition and including music that did not make the final album)."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    There's a sneak preview of the deluxe edition up. I've avoided every track except "Perfect Life" so I'm not sure what is playing in the background.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's "First Regret/3 Years Older", with some edits.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    A few more reviews. Pretty much every review that is coming is messing around with album of the year territory. I have only heard the title track in full while trying to avoid everything else, so my expectations are ridiculous now.

http://progarchy.com/2015/02/13/hand...rase-a-review/

http://www.themonolith.com/music/rev...on-hand-erase/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    SW's No-Man collaborator Tim Bowness is set to release a follow-up to last year's sublime Abandoned Dancehall Dreams sometime this summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Uh-oh, looks like Steven was not very happy about the premiering of First Regret/3 Years Older: http://dprpradio.podbean.com/e/show-...ndcannoterase/

edit: can't type today