Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I remastered the NIN Woodstock '94 set from the highest quality sources I could find.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I remastered the NIN Woodstock '94 set from the highest quality sources I could find.

So, the other day I was looking for a good copy of the Woodstock 1994 performance. I'm an audio mastering engineer and I wanted the highest quality I could get.

I've always been troubled in the quality of what was available.. All the CD versions have edits in Reptile and in some of the banter between songs (in order to fit them onto one CD), and they don't include the full intro. They're also all highpassed at 60hz for broadcast and have some really strange phase issues in the low end. So I went looking for a new source of video and audio and decided I was going to assemble the highest quality copy of the performance that I could find.

As far as audio, I took a couple of the FLAC rips from reflectinginthechrome.com, and assembled a full performance. This took care of those edits, but it didn't have the full intro. I also needed a good video source.. then, I found a site: http://www.seven1963.org/ that had a DVD rip for download. It was a 720x480 interlaced DVD, which is the highest resolution that you can get from an NTSC broadcast like this, and likely the best copy we will ever see of this performance (unless, of course, the HD footage ever leaks from the production company..).

I found the intro audio from a youtube video and edited that in. I also remastered the FLAC audio: I put back what was dropped down below 60hz (in Burn, for example, you'll hear a huge difference in the fact that you can hear the main bassline!), fixed the odd phasing/panning issues in the low end, and did a full mastering like I'd do for any other record. It's louder and punchier, but not overdone at all.

For video, I de-interlaced it the best I could via software, cropped out the nasty VHS garbage on the sides and bottom, and synced it up with the audio. What I made and uploaded is what I believe to be the most complete and highest quality copy of this performance that exists. There are a few pops and clicks in the audio, and at one point in the video, the words 'VIDEO TRACKING' flash on the screen (I'm assuming this was taped on two VHSs and this was the break point, but nothing is missing), but it's much, MUCH better than anything out there and certainly better than anything else on Youtube.

Ok, so that was all probably too technical and boring, but enjoy. I'm working with relflectinginthechrome to get the FLAC/MP3 downloads up, along with a 1.7 gb MP4 for download.

Download links:
    Video (1.7gb MP4): http://www.mediafire.com/?b527z8c8epajm68
    Audio (103mb MP3): http://www.mediafire.com/?7grz87gev6d9xgd
    Audio (543mb FLAC): http://www.mediafire.com/?8ppcq9iara5tx11
    Last edited by Kevin Carafa; 09-02-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: added download links

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks for all your hard work on this! Great stuff .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Great! Thanks a lot! x1000

I like the technical stuff so which software did you used, the plugins, hardware. Mostly interested in the audio mastering process. Could you tell us more about it? Really, this is outstanding.
    Last edited by Batolle; 09-02-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    What a great way to have your first post on ets! And how blessed are we to have such awesome fans within our circles?

Thanks a lot for your hard work and effort that went into this! The Woodstock performance is certainly one of the most precious items in any NIN fan's bootleg library and I myself bought several copies of this via some obscure ebay sellers in order to obtain the best quality - this kicks it up a notch and I can't wait to download it from RITCN and also update my audio version of this!

Once again, thank you very fucking much for this! Damn, it's great to be a NIN fan these days! One gemstone after another!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    WOW! YOu rock! thanx! Can't wait for the FLAC audio upload!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thank you very much.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Still one of the best concerts I've ever seen/heard. Thanks for putting all of this together.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I love this concert, Cheers!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Thanks so much for this

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Dude this literally just made my day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is awesome! Thanks!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Batolle View Post
    Great! Thanks a lot! x1000

I like the technical stuff so which software did you used, the plugins, hardware. Mostly interested in the audio mastering process. Could you tell us more about it? Really, this is outstanding.
    audio was mastered on HD280s and modified krk rokit 5s, along with old passive gerrard monitors. it was all done in reaper. fab filter pro-l for limiting, the pro-q for EQ, and multiband comp for low end management. then a custom set of filters to center everything below 100 hz. also brought down the level of the sides a db or so.
    as far as video.. i'm ill experienced at modern video software, but i used avidemux2's built in deinterlacing and resizing and cropping, then just some basic levels and color balance adjustment in final cut pro x, where it was also assembled and encoded.

i'm glad you guys like it, the other 'remasters' floating around are just smashed as loud as they can possibly be with no regard whatsoever for quality.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I still love it so much when TR sings "And all of you miserable muddy fuckheads are allllrrriiiiggghhttt" hahahaha

Thanks for this! Sounds great!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If anybody says there's a better fan board out there for anything I will slap them right in the mouth.

This is awesome, I can't wait to get the audio files! I've been hoping something better would be done with Woodstock for awhile.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Good sir if I could 'like' you a kabillion times I would! Thank you for your hard work and for sharing!

It's fascinating to watch this, I believe what was the first broadcast of a NIN performance, after having seen last night's Made In America stream in glorious 1080p. So much is still the same and so much is quite vastly different. I try to imagine the future in another 20 years and hope it involves a holodeck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is awesome, thanks! On a side note, is anyone having trouble watching this on an ipad?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thank You!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Thanks, this is one of my all time favorite shows from any band. Good to see someone love this old stuff as much as me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomp252 View Post
    This is awesome, thanks! On a side note, is anyone having trouble watching this on an ipad?
    since this 'matches third party content', i can't make it viewable on mobile. really sucks. but, considering that and the fact that the RITC guy said it'll be a few weeks (??) before the files i sent him are available, i'm uploading the audio and video to mediafire right now and i'm going to post links myself soon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks alot I appreciate that!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I wish whatever "third party" it was that hung out on YouTube restricting shows like this from being completely free to watch everywhere would ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING with the rights they supposedly are exercising... like, I dunno, digging out the original HD camera tapes and multitracks to present this show in restored HD quality, befitting its historical significance.

Ranting aside, considering the lineage of your source material this remaster looks damn good! Thank you for all that work.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I wish whatever "third party" it was that hung out on YouTube restricting shows like this from being completely free to watch everywhere would ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING with the rights they supposedly are exercising... like, I dunno, digging out the original HD camera tapes and multitracks to present this show in restored HD quality, befitting its historical significance.
    Like how fuckin' Microsoft decides they want to pick and choose what videos im allowed to watch when I used youtube on the xbox. Fuckin' lame.

Its probably a copyright troll company thats responsible for this shit. A company that doesnt do anything besides aquire copyrights and take people to court for violating them, just like people do with patents.

Sorry for the hijack, but this concept of "everything has to be owned" in our modern world is fuckin' bullshit IMO.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The truly maddening thing is this: it's probably one of the media conglomerates that bought broadcast sync rights to the show back in 1994; and now they probably OWN one of the record labels that could license an official video for sale today, which would actually EARN THEM SOME MONEY and contribute to the viability of their intellectual property... but they're too dumb to do anything about it but block other distributors from benefiting from an inferior-looking source product.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I just checked. It's flagging it at 24 minutes in as 'closer'. Obviously, it is that song, but does their reach extend to a recording of a live performance?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The truly maddening thing is this: it's probably one of the media conglomerates that bought broadcast sync rights to the show back in 1994; and now they probably OWN one of the record labels that could license an official video for sale today, which would actually EARN THEM SOME MONEY and contribute to the viability of their intellectual property... but they're too dumb to do anything about it but block other distributors from benefiting from an inferior-looking source product.
    Well, here is the "Acknowledged third party content" screen from the 1994.09.05 Roy Wilkins Show I have on my youtube...

Seems like alot of people have their hands in TDS, who is this SACEM?

And yes, it does carry over into live recordings. Try find Prince bootlegs on youtube...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Well, here is the "Acknowledged third party content" screen from the 1994.09.05 Roy Wilkins Show I have on my youtube...

Seems like alot of people have their hands in TDS, who is this SACEM?

And yes, it does carry over into live recordings. Try find Prince bootlegs on youtube...
    Oh well, not much I can do then. I could pitch shift the audio or something, but I'm not willing to make that sacrifice in quality. Uploading as we speak..

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Haha, yeah. Id just leave it too. Thanks again for your time and effort on this, like i said earlier, this is one of my favorite all time shows from any band. Looking forward to the download!

edit: I just searched and SACEM is the French version of the ASCAP.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 09-02-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Carafa View Post
    since this 'matches third party content', i can't make it viewable on mobile. really sucks. but, considering that and the fact that the RITC guy said it'll be a few weeks (??) before the files i sent him are available, i'm uploading the audio and video to mediafire right now and i'm going to post links myself soon.
    No... That is not what I said... In the coming weeks I have a bunch to upload. I am working on getting everything uploaded now from Woodstock. I am only one guy, I try and get everything onto the site in a timely manner.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, I'm sorry I saw your tweets about being busy with work, and then the 'we'll have things like remastered woodstock in a few weeks!'.. That's the impression I got, and I didn't want to bug you. I didn't want people to have to wait to download something that was finished a few days ago.. You're busy, that's totally okay.. I'm not. So, I'm sharing it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Also, download links are up.