Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hesitation Marks listening help - Headphones Suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question Hesitation Marks listening help - Headphones Suggestions?

I know that there are plenty of websites and blogs out there with "best headphones" posts, but I have been through too many bad online recommendations lately and I wanted to ask the people who would know best -- NIN fans. What are the best sub-$100 headphones/earphones for listening to NIN music that will give the most "accurate" sound/bass? Your suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was in the same place and ended up ordering a pair of Sony MDR-7506's (the same kind Trent wears in the SICN Still video and featured in Pitch Perfect (shut the fuck up, that movie is awesome ) coincidentally) based on multiple recommendations of people here and reading reviews online. They're on their way so I can't vouch for them personally yet, but that's where my research led me.

Looking for headphone reviews online is maddening isn't it? I spent so many hours reading reviews and I feel like I accomplished very little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    I was in the same place and ended up ordering a pair of Sony MDR-7506's (the same kind Trent wears in the SICN Still video and featured in Pitch Perfect (shut the fuck up, that movie is awesome ) coincidentally) based on multiple recommendations of people here and reading reviews online. They're on their way so I can't vouch for them personally, but that's where my research led me.

Looking for headphone reviews online is maddening isn't it?

I can't attest to the Sony's but I can tell you that reading headphone reviews can drive one insane. It took me forever but I settled on a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 ii's....granted they are not sub $100. Let us know what you decide on.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I primarily use Sennheiser 438s, which I got for just under 50 bucks. Good, strong bass response, you can hear pretty much everything going on in the background. Though, I'm not an audiophile, so there's a chance someone will stroll in here and piss all over my headphones, but that's alright.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    I was in the same place and ended up ordering a pair of Sony MDR-7506's (the same kind Trent wears in the SICN Still video and featured in Pitch Perfect (shut the fuck up, that movie is awesome ) coincidentally) based on multiple recommendations of people here and reading reviews online. They're on their way so I can't vouch for them personally yet, but that's where my research led me.

Looking for headphone reviews online is maddening isn't it? I spent so many hours reading reviews and I feel like I accomplished very little.
    These, for sure.
    They're not the BEST headphones out there, but my god do they sound fucking great. These combined with the cd itself or some high quality flacs
    will blow you away. Just be prepared to see the headphones you already own in a very different light after listening with these.
    I don't mean to sound overly advertisement-like, but these things are just so clear and balanced that they've really REALLY impressed me..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Surprisingly the new Apple earPods are a solid little contender for detail and modest bass.
    For open air headphones on a budget, I like Grado SR60's.
    In ear monitors I love Westone UM2's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys! Really appreciate it. On a side note - which EQ setting do you use when listening on your iPhone/iPod? I use Rock but I'm still trying to figure out if that sounds best or not. Btw i am no audiophile but I do want my NIN to sound as awesome as possible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't use any EQ settings on the iPhone. Hate 'em!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    NONE. Ten characters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm rocking some Shure SRH 750 DJ headphones for my home listening. Build quality reviews aren't great but every review on the sound is amazing. I love them but am still listening to the HM leak. Can't wait to hear what they sound like with the audiophile master.

Problem is that if you are using an iPod lots of audiophiles I talk to will say that you need an amp to get the best out of high end headphones.

they retail for about the same price as those Sony's.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    +1 to the Sony MDR-7506 recommendation. I also just picked a pair of these up based on recommendations from this board and the nearly universally positive reviews on various websites. They just arrived today, and betwen one listen through of Hesitation Marks, one listen through of a bluray from Neil Young's Archives Vol 1 set, and a couple of mp3's, I can easily say these are by far the best-sounding headphones I've ever owned. Even the lossy mp3's sounded way better than I expected. And the Neil Young Blu was absolutely stunning --- I could actually hear a very faint hiss from the studio source reel-to-reel recording. I am very impressed so far, and they're supposed to improve as they get worn in. As far as EQ settings go, I generally leave all that stuff flat as I trust the recordings were mastered to sound how the creators wanted them to sound without my ignorant alterations. I hear that a headphone amp can make high quality phones sound better, but that may be a little overkill for me personally, so I haven't started shopping for one of those just yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hollowsminion View Post
    Surprisingly the new Apple earPods are a solid little contender for detail and modest bass.
    I was actually very surprised by these when I tried them out when I got my iPhone 5. They're my go to for casual listening when I need something that doesn't completely isolate me from the outside world. Insanely comfortable and a huge upgrade from the crap headphones that used to come with iProducts.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Honestly, laugh it up but my $30 Sony MDR-V150 headphones from walmart work fucking great. I'm blasting as I type. No over modulation for any frequency, the bass is punchy and gets the low end. The high end is clear. Connected to a proper device or port and it goes louder than I can handle (I'm connected to a BOSE companion audio jack which is connected to integrated audio hardware on my PC). I'll never pay $200 for headphones unless its for professional work, but I'm sure they (expensive headphones) sound "clearer" or produce lower end bass... but I think I can get a damn great sound by adjusting the software equalizer (standard V; bit more 14k and 16k than usual as I find it helps to show some of the glitchy/static sounds.

Wow. Now that I'm paying closer attention... Disappointed is kinda Sgt. Peppers.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    For an EQ setting, I like to use this custom one for all my music:
    http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...40902070807431

And for headphones under $100, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 218 (the new version is 219) that I like. They're suitable for both home and portable use and if you hunt around, you can get them factory refurbished for cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Try AmpAudyssey equalizer for the iphone.. its optimised for most particular earphone models. Apparently this is the amp to have for eq.. I have to snag another pair of earpods unless I can find something that decent for that price.. theyre really fucking punchy, but not comfortable buds if you've got the one small ear hole.
    listened to the album on Jvc XX's and its great. Look forward to gettin another pair of 7506 studios for recording & also hearing music flat response

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks... I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD202's from amazon last week and they were absolutely TERRIBLE. muffled unclear sound that was subpar to even my crappy skullcandy earbuds. I think I'm gonna try the Sonys that everyone is mentioning, I've always liked sony audio products.
    Thanks guys!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Look no further than the Sony MDR 7506. I use them for all my sound monitoring.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hyserure View Post
    Thanks... I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD202's from amazon last week and they were absolutely TERRIBLE. muffled unclear sound that was subpar to even my crappy skullcandy earbuds. I think I'm gonna try the Sonys that everyone is mentioning, I've always liked sony audio products.
    Thanks guys!
    202s are entry-level Sennheisers, I used them for about sixteen months before the left earcup crapped out. I wouldn't call them terrible, but they were also my first "real" headphones, so I didn't have anything to compare them with.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Hesitation Marks listening help - Headphones Suggestions?

The Sony 7506s get this touring audio tech's vote as well. They're what I use both for work and for casual listening at home.

The MDR-V6 seems to be virtually identical, but usually leas expensive. If money is of any concern, that's a route worth investigating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastentrance View Post
    Look no further than the Sony MDR 7506. I use them for all my sound monitoring.
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    The Sony 7506s get this touring audio tech's vote as well. They're what I use both for work and for casual listening at home.

The MDR-V6 seems to be virtually identical, but usually leas expensive. If money is of any concern, that's a route worth investigating.
    Was about to post about the MDR-V6. Fantastic headphones, really.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Check out the KRK KNS-8400, KRK has prosumer grade studio monitors but these headphones are some of my favorite in the sub $200 range. Also very comfortable for long duration, and fairly flat response once they get burned in a little (mids improve after a few hours break in). Also good closed-back if you need anything ever for recording.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post

The 7506s are actually cheaper on amazon...
    i also just saw the Sony MDR-ZX600s in Target and they looked pretty sweet. Anyone try these? They're a little less "bulky" looking.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    never change the EQ settings

never

no exceptions

unless you think you're better at mixing and producing than the guys listed in the album liner-notes of course?

no?

then no exceptions.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Ive had a cheap pair of Sony MDR-V150s for the last 10 years or so and they have served me great for music. Plan on using them for my first HM spin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sony MDR-V55. $79.99 at Wallyworld. Better than Beats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hyserure View Post
    Thanks guys!

Guys try these:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-1083...oprice+mep-839

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nineismine View Post
    Those are pretty good, though they're a few bucks cheaper directly from monoprice.com

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I approve of this thread.

I have a pair of American Audio HP700s, but they're a bit large and hard to carry around. Plus, they're starting to wear out and fit loosely on my head. If I want to get something as good or better, but less bulky, what should I do?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Anyone tried beats by dre headphones?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hesitation Marks listening help - Headphones Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by ericy210 View Post
    Anyone tried beats by dre headphones?
    I've tried a few of them. They're not bad, but like any Monster product they're overpriced for what they are.