Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: SWANS + related projects

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    http://thequietus.com/articles/15163...kind-interview

A couple of weeks old now, but this has got to be one of the best and most comprehensive recent interviews with M.Gira I've read. Lots of 'historical' detail too.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunstmord View Post
    I would love to hear a sludgefest version of Oxygen.
    How do the new songs sound?
    Did they play Bring the Sun part only, or the whole song (with Touissant Louverture)?

Hopefully will see them in November when they come to Moscow.
    The new songs are still very rough, at the end of the show Michael apologize saying it's a completely new set and they're still trying to get it down.
    The version of The Seer they did in 2012 when I saw them and the version on Not Here/Not Now are completely different.
    Hearing what they come up with after they've had some time with the songs is the only reason I wish they had started the tour elsewhere.
    Bring The Sun was without Toussaint Louverture.

The final song has Michael yelling I'm an asshole man, I'm a black hole man.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I saw Swans on Tuesday and it was downright incredible. I was always a casual fan a couple years back but seeing them live for the first time at Pitchfork Festival last year completely changed my outlook on them and To Be Kind is without a doubt one of the most punishing and rewarding albums of the year.

Being front row and experiencing the sonic assault of a Swans show that close is an experience I'll never forget. I know a lot of other groups do this, like Animal Collective previously, but I adore the fact that they decide to write material on the road and preview it for shows. Hearing Oxygen off TBK for the first time last year never left my mind and hearing it on the record this year brought back incredible memories. I'm sure the new material from Tuesday's show will do the same when a new record is dropped.

And yes. It's incredibly loud. So loud in fact that Gira could barely hear himself on the microphone while the venue's sound guy endless fumbled trying to find the right balance. Michael educated him on how to fix it and went on to "don't ever turn my vocals down." Michael Gira is an intimidating and captivating front man and his band that he has assembled for this incarnation of Swans has them at their best. I feel like I've been really fanboying over these guys this year but it's well worth it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my friend (who writes for consequence of sound) got to interview michael gira last weekend while they were in chicago. i'm really excited to read it. i'll post it when it's up.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    alright, as promised, here's my best friend/band mate/ring bearer for my wedding interviewing michael gira (whose name is pronounced "je-rah" apparently).

a lot of "hardcore" swans fans have given him crap for asking "silly" questions, but those are the questions he wanted to ask. he just wanted to have a conversation with the guy as if he was a regular guy, and not try to get all deep and crazy like some interviewers seem to get.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Okay, after checking out Soundtracks for the Blind from the Scary Music thread at work and being pretty impressed, I decided to go back and, based on rough descriptions of their discography, checked out Children of God. That...is a powerful, awesome album right there and it's going to be on repeat for a little while.

I'm looking forward to exploring this discography. I can tell it's going to be hit and miss though, I'm halfway through The Burning World right now as I type and holy shit is this the same band

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Okay, after checking out Soundtracks for the Blind from the Scary Music thread at work and being pretty impressed, I decided to go back and, based on rough descriptions of their discography, checked out Children of God. That...is a powerful, awesome album right there and it's going to be on repeat for a little while.

I'm looking forward to exploring this discography. I can tell it's going to be hit and miss though, I'm halfway through The Burning World right now as I type and holy shit is this the same band
    the burning world was a production collaboration with bill laswell (who is normally awesome) but, yeah, that album is atrocious, a fact with which almost everyone agrees.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    God Damn the Sun is a great song though

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Yeah, that was about the only one that really stuck out to me.

I have now gone through Greed and Holy Money and don't think I'll be doing that again. Just...really monotonous, repetitive and miserably bleak, and not in that good cathartic way. Makes me wonder if I should even try Filth or Cop, as I know those'll be even more out there. Feels like I'll be enjoying the later albums more when I work up to them.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Yeah, that was about the only one that really stuck out to me.

I have now gone through Greed and Holy Money and don't think I'll be doing that again. Just...really monotonous, repetitive and miserably bleak, and not in that good cathartic way. Makes me wonder if I should even try Filth or Cop, as I know those'll be even more out there. Feels like I'll be enjoying the later albums more when I work up to them.
    i like their early stuff ok, don't care much for some of the middle period stuff, and love the (original) late period stuff (great annihilator, soundtracks for the blind, swans are dead). but nothing tops their last three albums, in my opinion. they're just so fucking good.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    the burning world was a production collaboration with bill laswell (who is normally awesome) but, yeah, that album is atrocious, a fact with which almost everyone agrees.
    not really. it's underrated and notorious for michael gira's poor opinion of the record, but most fans i've talked to range from liking it just fine to loving it. i've heard very little disdain for that record from the peanut gallery, especially these days.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    not really. it's underrated and notorious for michael gira's poor opinion of the record, but most fans i've talked to range from liking it just fine to loving it. i've heard very little disdain for that record from the peanut gallery, especially these days.
    fair enough. i (clearly) don't like it much, but i'm ok with that, and i'm ok with other people liking it! hope i didn't sound too snobby before.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    got my ticket to see them at Thalia Hall (newish venue here in chicago) on february 21st. super excited as i've never seen them live before.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    So, the song Black Hole Man hasn't been released in studio form yet, right? Bummer. I saw them perform it live last December and loved it.

https://soundcloud.com/monjourviendr...isville-070214

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It doesn't sound like the last Swans album though, just the last one featuring the current version of the band. Either way, I'm pretty excited about this.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Hopefully that's the case of course, but who knows with Gira haha.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yeah it definitely says this this version/iteration of the band. Interesting to see if there is a shift in direction or if it is just the end of the band.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So, The Gate (live album) is here!
    http://younggodrecords.com/products/the-gate

I ordered the 100$ edition, since well, the 20$ premium over the live album + new LP seems not a big deal, and well, the last Swans album of this incarnation (which is my favourite) will have my name in there somewhere.

Wonder when it starts shipping, hopefully very soon, can't wait to hear the live songs (especially Black-Eyed Man – which is probably the Black Hole Man song, which was so fucking groovy when I saw them live).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The Gate is now sold out! Shipping date also announced, Oct. 1st.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunstmord View Post
    Wonder when it starts shipping, hopefully very soon, can't wait to hear the live songs (especially Black-Eyed Man – which is probably the Black Hole Man song, which was so fucking groovy when I saw them live).
    My words precisely. Still hoping we'll get a studio version of this song sometime.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Listening to The Gate right now. Frankie M...hooollly shit. Haven't gotten goosebumps for a song like this in a like time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I found a rip on the internets (while waiting for my signed CD to arrive), and yes, the record is awesome. The abstract direction of the songs is great, and Black Hole Man – holy shit! I was blown away by it when I saw them live, and this version is great too, especially if the volume is turned up high enough to be nearly painful. The demos are demos, but it will be interesting to see how they flesh out on the record.
    All in all, a great record (though I still think the aggressive rock version of Just A Little Boy that appears on Not Here/Not Now is the best one).

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    White Light From The Mouth of Infinity & Love Of Life in a 3 LP + 1 CD boxset on December 4th

The two albums will be initially released as a limited vinyl box set, presented in the original restored artwork, which includes paintings by Deryk Thomas. The 2500 micron black lined box - with original logo in silver foil block in black paper - will also include 2 rare posters, a CD of outtakes and contemporaneous live recordings and a download code for both albums.

In addition, White Light from the Mouth of Infinity and Love of Life will be available as a 3xCD set (which will include the bonus disc), individual vinyl albums (these will be available after the box set has sold out) and digitally.

White Light from the Mouth of Infinity, Swans’ seventh studio album originally released in 1991, is considered the starting point for the second section of Swans’ inimitable history. Described as “…the glistening, glimmering sounds of the pensive countryside” by Stereogum, this will be the first time White Light from the Mouth of Infinity has been available on vinyl since its original release on Young God Records in 1991. The vinyl issue will include the track ‘Blind’, not included in the original release.

Love of Life, the band’s eighth studio album, followed soon after in 1992. According to Allmusic’s Ned Ragget, “Love of Life continues the astounding creative roll Swans found themselves on … yet another Swans masterpiece." The vinyl version of this album has also been unavailable since its original release.

3xCD box set

CD 1
    1 Better Than You
    2 Power and Sacrifice
    3 You Know Nothing
    4 Song for Dead Time
    5 Will We Survive
    6 Love Will Save You
    7 Faliure
    8 Song for the Sun
    9 Miracle of Love
    10 Blind
    11 When She Breathes
    12 Why Are We Alive
    13 The Most Unfortunate Lie

CD 2
    1 (---) Pt. 1
    2 Love of Life
    3 The Golden Boy That Was Swallowed by the Sea
    4 (---) Pt. 2
    5 (---) Pt. 3
    6 The Other Side of the World
    7 Her
    8 The Sound of Freedom
    9 (---) Pt. 4
    10 Amnesia
    11 Identity
    12 (---) Pt. 5
    13 In the Eyes of Nature
    14 She Cries (For Spider)
    15 God Loves America
    16 (---) Pt. 6
    17 No Cure for the Lonely

CD 3
    1 Amnesia (Long)
    2 Song for Dead Time (MG Version)
    3 You Know Everything
    4 Mother’s Milk
    5 The Child’s Right
    6 Love of Life (Short)
    7 Unfortunate Lie (Inst. Version)
    8 No Cruel Angel
    9 Black Eyed Dog
    10 Love of Life (Long)
    11 Picture of Maryanne
    12 Amnesia (Live)
    13 Dream Dream
    14 Please Remember Me
    15 Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes
    16 The Unknown
    17 Blood on Your Hands
    18 A Young Girl Needs

3xLP / 1xCD box set

White Light from the Mouth of Infinity

Side A
    1 Better Than You
    2 Power and Sacrifice
    3 You Know Nothing

Side B
    4 Song for Dead Time
    5 Will We Survive
    6 Love Will Save You

Side C
    7 Faliure
    8 Song for the Sun
    9 Miracle of Love

Side D
    10 Blind
    11 When She Breathes
    12 Why Are We Alive
    13 The Most Unfortunate Lie

Love of Life
    Side A
    1 (---) Pt. 1
    2 Love of Life
    3 The Golden Boy That Was Swallowed by the Sea
    4 (---) Pt. 2
    5 (---) Pt. 3
    6 The Other Side of the World
    7 Her
    8 The Sound of Freedom
    Side B
    9 (---) Pt. 4
    10 Amnesia
    11 Identity
    12 (---) Pt. 5
    13 In the Eyes of Nature
    14 She Cries (For Spider)
    15 God Loves America
    16 (---) Pt. 6
    17 No Cure for the Lonely

Bonus CD
    1 Amnesia (Long)
    2 Song for Dead Time (MG Version)
    3 You Know Everything
    4 Mother’s Milk
    5 The Child’s Right
    6 Love of Life (Short)
    7 Unfortunate Lie (Inst. Version)
    8 No Cruel Angel
    9 Black Eyed Dog
    10 Love of Life (Long)
    11 Picture of Maryanne
    12 Amnesia (Live)
    13 Dream Dream
    14 Please Remember Me
    15 Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes
    16 The Unknown
    17 Blood on Your Hands
    18 A Young Girl Needs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Can't stop listening to The Gate, because holy shit those songs! Took a while to get to groove to the abstract goodness that Apos/The Cloud of Unforming is, though.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    just finishing up listening to White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity out of the vinyl box set that came out recently.

definitely glad i gave this album another chance, because it's fantastic. not sure why i wasn't into it the first time i heard it, but i love it now. and the new pressing sounds phenomenal. looking forward to giving "Love Of Life" a spin soon.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Least surprising news in rock history.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Apparently Michael's wife claims she has proof that Larkin Grimm is lying, but she's not allowed to present it publicly right now