Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: SWANS + related projects

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    NPR has a stream of The Seer for those who haven't heard it.

http://www.npr.org/2012/08/19/158708...&cc=tumb_music

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I've known this band a while, but never really have listened to them except for a couple of tracks, but now I'd like to give them a listen, so where should I start?
    I would have had an opportunity to see them live about a week ago at a festival, but chose to find some food before Fennesz started his second performance. Now I regret a little bit that decision.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'd say start with The Great Annihilator. If you liked the stuff you caught live, I'd check out My Father Will Guide Me...

Edit - oops. I misread. Thought you said you caught some of it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Hard to say where to start with Swans since their sound has evolved so much over their career. Check the latest albums then try Children of God and move backward if you like the harder, darker stuff or move forward if you prefer the more lush sounds. Definitely eventually check everything though.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The early stuff is pretty intense. Good stuff though. Children of God is a pretty solid one. The Great Annihilator's deemed the most "accessible" of the lot. Personally, I'd start there and move backward. But Children of God would be a good start as well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks! I'll check out first The Great Annihilator and Children of god and then move backwards.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The early 90s albums catch a lot of flack (from gira himself even). Good stuff IMO.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    agreed. i think the burning world is one of the best, if but very different from the majority of the catalog.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Love of Life and White Light from the Mouth of Infinity display great, succinct songwriting. Love those two records.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    those were my first two, so i have some major fondness for those records as well. my vinyl copy of love of life sounds too brittle though, should have been 2xlps. unlike the burning world, which sounds amazing and is my preferrerd way to listen to that album.

oh, and the new album is pretty stellar. could do without karen o being everywhere these days, but not the end of the world.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Love of Life and White Light from the Mouth of Infinity display great, succinct songwriting. Love those two records.
    That's where I started. White Light just had so much going on. Imagine my reaction when I first heard Filth, heh. I'm iffy about The Burning World. Just so different.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I started with Cop/Young God/Greed/Holy Money and Filth/Body to Body Job to Job, so right into the deep end of the proverbial pool. Filth and Soundtracks for the Blind are my favourite albums, but the aforementioned Cop/Young God/Greed/Holy Money represents my most listened to collection of Swans tracks.

Haven't had time to properly digest The Seer as yet, but from what I've heard I'm feeling it more than My Father...
    Last edited by xmd 5a; 08-22-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Good lord. This fucking album. Unreal.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The title track is just about the best 30+ minute song I've heard in my life. The slow burn intro, volcanic eruption that is the 12th minute and subsequent relentless, pummeling, brain-drilling aural assault... Intense as fuck. I can't wait to experience this live!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Easily (IMO), Piece of the Sky and The apostate are my top two.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    After many many listens, I'm very impressed with this album. It absolutely flies by for being 2 hours in length. Favorite tracks are The Seer (and The Seer Returns), A Piece of the Sky, The Apostate and Avatar. The only track I really don't dig is Song For a Warrior. Anyways, I'm just bought a ticket to see them in 2 weeks. Pretty excited for the experience

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    "Mother of the World", "The Seer", "The Seer Returns" and "Avatar" are my favourites after my first proper listen. "Lunacy" (<3 Low) and "93 Ave B Blues" get honourable mentions.

My Father... was great and all, and still one of my favourite albums of 2010, but it had nowhere near the volume of killer material as The Seer does.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Not many people seem to like Song for a Warrior. I finally have been getting around and listening to the full thing. Its good. It flies by, yes. But, my mind tends to wander most of the time. But there's plenty of parts where it would regain my attention and make me look at what song I'm listening to. Certainly has it's good moments. Lots of them.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    karen o really has no place on a swans album. it's the only track on the album i don't LOVE.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Going to go see them next month. I'm equally thrilled and terrified.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    has anyone purchased The Seer on vinyl? how does it play with the title track being split up, as well as the totally different order of the tracks?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the seer is fucked up in the right ways. can't wait for the new album

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Wasn't aware they were working oj another one. Loved The Seer. More swans is always welcome.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Swans kicked my ass at Pitchfork Fest last month. They were such a highlight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There's a new album in the works already? Is this confirmed somewhere?

Edit: Yep.

I'm stoked. I hated The Seer at first, but a couple months ago it finally clicked and changed my life and the way I listen to long-form music.
    Last edited by carpenoctem; 08-06-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The new live album should be awesome too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Have yet to see them live.i like the idea of hearing almost nothing but new material at a show. I can't believe a band this old can still make a landmark album

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuckit View Post
    Have yet to see them live.i like the idea of hearing almost nothing but new material at a show. I can't believe a band this old can still make a landmark album
    This is kind of an ironic comment on a NIN board with a new album less than a month away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It is ironic huh? I didn't mean that it's impossible. But it is a great surprise and delight. I felt this way about mbv's new album and even year zero