Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: SWANS + related projects

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Ordered the new album today and bought a ticket to see them in SF.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm really digging what I'm hearing so far from the album. It's a little more chilled out and accessible, at least compared to The Seer and To Be Kind.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Fantastic album. Like the last 2, it's a tough but rewarding listen. It might be my favorite after all is said and done. The "softer" edges appeal to me a bit more.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    listening to it now on vinyl. only on the first track but i'm enjoying it so far.

i'm trying to just disconnect what happened recently with michael gira from the music, but it's an exercise in futility for me. oh well.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    listening to it now on vinyl. only on the first track but i'm enjoying it so far.

i'm trying to just disconnect what happened recently with michael gira from the music, but it's an exercise in futility for me. oh well.
    alright, i really liked the first three songs, but after that, the album just kind of fell apart for me.
    "when will i return", instead of being a haunting and touching song becomes a rape revenge fantasy that is extremely disturbing, especially in light of the accusations thrown at michael gira. the fact that he wrote it for his wife to sing is even more unsettling.

"my father..." A-
    "the seer" A
    "to be kind" A
    "the glowing man" C+

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yesterday I saw Swans live, fourth/fifth row dead center, in a fairly small club. Loved every second of it.
    On 10th minute of a first song a power blew out, causing a few minutes of delay.
    By the end of the night my ears all but bled. Hands down my loudest fucking show ever. 15 hours later it's still ringing (I was offered earplugs at the entry, considered for a bit... and said 'meh'. Don't repeat my mistake if you haven't seen them yet)

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

After investing in the recently released 4-LP vinyl box set earlier this summer and listening consistently for the better part of a month, I’m ready to officially acknowledge this as one of my top ten favorite albums ever..

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Soundtracks For The Blind is definitely an amazing album. I got the 3disc cd reissue with Die Tur Ist Su. Worth the money! Pretty much was the only release I was missing from them. I love that all there live albums are like new albums in their own way. That they rework songs so they are different from the studio versions.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I just got into Swans a few months ago and they've become my new obsession. So figured I might as well revive this thread with some new album news.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I just got into Swans a few months ago and they've become my new obsession. So figured I might as well revive this thread with some new album news.
    I usually go for these releases to help fund the next album, but I don’t think I am to interested in this one. $40 for a cd of demos of Gira just playing acoustic guitar and singing. That’s why I have Angels Of Light. I will say those Boxes look really beautiful though.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Also new album comes October-ish

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Collaborators include Chris Abrahams and Ben Frost - should be good!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Fuck I missed the last tour, I wanted to be blasted, now it’s going to be slightly less heavy live.

But anywyay, this seems like a good change of pace, can’t wait.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    Fuck I missed the last tour, I wanted to be blasted, now it’s going to be slightly less heavy live.

But anywyay, this seems like a good change of pace, can’t wait.
    Same. I'm not missing them on this upcoming tour, but man I wish I got to see them last time they came around.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    http://www.brooklynvegan.com/swans-a...on-hausswolff/

Haven't gotten to see Swans live yet, so I will definitely be at one of those 2 NY shows. Is it odd that they are selling tix for shows so far out in the future? Will these sell out quickly?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    http://www.brooklynvegan.com/swans-a...on-hausswolff/

Haven't gotten to see Swans live yet, so I will definitely be at one of those 2 NY shows. Is it odd that they are selling tix for shows so far out in the future? Will these sell out quickly?
    On the last world tour they put tickets for my shows on sale way early and they didn’t sell out. So I think you are safe to wait a little if you need to.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Really loving the new album. Totally different, more-subdued sound than the previous trilogy, but really beautiful stuff.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Really loving the new album. Totally different, more-subdued sound than the previous trilogy, but really beautiful stuff.
    It's great. More diverse, less focused on a huge monolithic sound, while The Hanging Man and Sunfucker are there for that kind of thing, and it really shines in the songwriting. I have to say at first I missed The Glowing Man approach, but you can't push further and further eternally, you gotta transcend that, too. Surprisingly, while more subdued, it feels unbalanced, it ends on a dissonant note, like the beauty can only last for a while and then you relapse.

Can't wait to see them this spring. Currently listening to the discography beginning to end.

edit : Oh and The Necks new album, Three, is great.
    Last edited by StockAvuryah; 03-06-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    While Where Does a Body End? is now available for digital rental/purchase, and the single disc Blu-ray and DVD standard sets are also available now, there's a Deluxe 2-disc Blu-ray set up for pre-order, due out September 25th. The film is 160 minutes, and the second disc contains 156 minutes of bonus material.

https://younggodrecords.com/collecti...-end-pre-order

On a side-note, Anna von Hausswolff's new album All Thoughts Fly is due out October 16th.
    On another side-note, Ben Frost composed the music for Raised by Wolves, the sci-fi series on HBOmax.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    On another side-note, Ben Frost composed the music for Raised by Wolves, the sci-fi series on HBOmax.
    welp, now i'm definitely watching that show. also reminds me that i should put the "dark" score on my x-mas list...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Meanwhile... this is from a month ago:

I wonder if they'll still tour Leaving Meaning at all if by the end of the lockdown there's a whole new record?
    Or will they just tour with all of this new stuff and develop arrangements on the road like they did with several post-reunion records?
    Last edited by fillow; 04-19-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Trying to restrain myself because I'm running out of room.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Trying to restrain myself because I'm running out of room.
    Seems to be sold out already. I didn't see anything mentioning this being limited, so hopefully a restock isn't too far off for people who missed it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Swans new album, The Beggar, will be released worldwide June 23, 2023 on Young God Records/Mute. Formats include 2X LP, 2CD, as well as download and stream.

“After numerous pandemic-induced cancellations of tours for the previous Swans album leaving meaning, and an apparent bottomless pit of waiting, waiting, waiting, and the strange disorientation that came with this sudden but interminable forced isolation I decided it was time to write songs for a new Swans album and forget about everything else. They came relatively easily, always informed by the suspicion that these could be my last. When I finally was able to travel, songs in hand, to Berlin to work with my friends recording this record, the feeling was akin to the moment in The Wizard of Oz when the film changes from Black and White to Color. Now I’m feeling quite optimistic. My favourite color is pink. I hope you enjoy the album!” – Michael Gira