Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Supreme Court thread

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

The Supreme Court thread

we're in trouble. Trump's list includes Ted Cruz and Tom Cotton.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    we're in trouble. Trump's list includes Ted Cruz and Tom Cotton.
    They’re not real nominees; neither has ever been a judge. You can’t be a SCOTUS justice unless you have experience as a judge. Even Cruz has already said this isn’t real.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    They’re not real nominees; neither has ever been a judge. You can’t be a SCOTUS justice unless you have experience as a judge. Even Cruz has already said this isn’t real.
    good. either way, we're in trouble. he's going to pick, as I said to my gf, someone who is anti-woman, anti-abortion, anti-anything white male.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    good. either way, we're in trouble. he's going to pick, as I said to my gf, someone who is anti-woman, anti-abortion, anti-anything white male.
    I’m not certain that he’s going to pick anyone. Pushing this through this late is a death wish for the GOP control of the Senate. We shall see. When he pulled a Brett Kavanaugh, Dems won back the House.

But right now is a time of mourning and to honor a great great woman.

Last edited by allegro; 09-18-2020 at 07:42 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I’m not certain that he’s going to pick anyone. Pushing this through this late is a death wish for the GOP control of the Senate. We shall see. When he pulled a Brett Kavanaugh, Dems won back the House.
    This requires an autopsy that actually connects the dots here. The GOP voting base is so delusional about stuff at this point that they probably think it's a deep state pizza/satan thing that stole the House and George Soros paid for it with baby blood. If that's the sort of voter they're relying on to pull off a hail-mary pass leading into an election they're assuming they're going to lose, they might do something completely insane.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    This requires an autopsy that actually connects the dots here. The GOP voting base is so delusional about stuff at this point that they probably think it's a deep state pizza/satan thing that stole the House and George Soros paid for it with baby blood. If that's the sort of voter they're relying on to pull off a hail-mary pass leading into an election they're assuming they're going to lose, they might do something completely insane.
    That’s not the GOP base; it’s the Trump base. There are candidates like Sen. Cory Gardner and Sen. Susan Collins etc. who are in serious jeopardy right now in moderate districts and pulling some bullshit like this won’t help them one bit.

Let the GOP lose every motherfucking seat, and then if the Democrats win THEY WILL BLOW OUT THE MOTHERFUCKING FILIBUSTER AND WILL STACK THE SCOTUS.

And all of this is drift in this thread. we need to move it to the Trump thread.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-18-2020 at 09:47 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Supreme Court thread

McConnell didn’t wait for the body to get cold. He says there will be a vote in the Senate for a SCOTUS nominee to replace RBG.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    McConnell didn’t wait for the body to get cold.
    Was about to post the exact same thing with pretty much the exact same wording.

Sorry Mitch. This IS NOT happening.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    As much as I hope that Chuck grows a spine for this one.... What's the actual recourse. Murkowsi said she would wait to vote til after the election but.... That's 2 months til inauguration

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Eat shit, Mitch.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    As much as I hope that Chuck grows a spine for this one.... What's the actual recourse. Murkowsi said she would wait to vote til after the election but.... That's 2 months til inauguration
    Mitt Romney is now saying he will refuse to vote until after inauguration, as well.

Crowds singing “Amazing Grace” on the steps of the Supreme Court is killing me gahhhhh

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Mitt Romney is now saying he will refuse to vote until after inauguration, as well.

Crowds singing “Amazing Grace” on the steps of the Supreme Court is killing me gahhhhh
    I think that makes 4 actually so

You're telling me there's a chance!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This is bad. Even if Biden wins, the Evil Turtle will wait until after the election but before January 20 (with a lame duck POTUS and Congress) to ram whoever asshole Trump nominates.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    This is bad. Even if Biden wins, the Evil Turtle will wait until after the election but before January 20 (with a lame duck POTUS and Congress) to ram whoever asshole Trump nominates.
    Unless we take the Senate back, and we can. And if they do likely get away with this, it’s time to pack the fucking court.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Murkowski and Romney are saying “no” until after inauguration.

Another interesting thing I just saw? That if Kelly wins in AZ, he could be immediately sworn in, in November, not January, because McSally won in a special election after McCain died?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/18/u...ourt-pick.html

The Republicans have 6 more Senators plus a VP tie breaker, so Democrats would need enough to cover that spread until the inauguration.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-19-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Murkowski and Romney are saying “no” until after inauguration.
    Did they say "no" until after the inauguration or until after the election? I am doing a Google search and can't find a source. If you are correct that would give me peace of mind.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Did they say "no" until after the inauguration or until after the election? I am doing a Google search and can't find a source. If you are correct that would give me peace of mind.
    I only have this:

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...uble-standard/

Grassley was also on record as being against it, based on 2016. Collins might also be against it.

So that'd be:

Romney
    Murkowski
    Grassley
    Collins
    Kelly

Some are questioning whether McConnell would even have a quorum. SCOTUS hearings would require that Senators stop all campaigning to attend hearings.

My anxiety level is -- (out of a scale of 1-10) on "30" right now.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-19-2020 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    Unless we take the Senate back, and we can. And if they do likely get away with this, it’s time to pack the fucking court.
    Agreed. And even if Republicans stand down and don't ram somebody through, a reckoning is long overdue.

It's time for Democrats to stop with the propriety and hand-wringing and time for them to go scorched earth the second they have even a morsel of control back.The majority of Americans are NOT Trumpers (popular vote has proven this), but you wouldn't know it by looking at the way our election system works, and that's by Republican design.

No forgiveness, no compromise. Republicans have been fucking Dems for ages, and it's time for them to fuck back.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Lindsay Graham can go straight to hell. Hypocrite weasel scumbag. Not surprised, but I really, newly hate this person on another level now.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Trump went right to it in his rally tonight. He's saying he's going to put out his pick next week. Crowds chanting "fill the seat"

fucking disgusting.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Trump went right to it in his rally tonight. He's saying he's going to put out his pick next week. Crowds chanting "fill the seat"

fucking disgusting.
    oh my dear god. That is SICKENING. I think any other president would have said something about her accomplishments, and the tragedy of this loss, politics aside. Edit: fuck me. Trump DID praise her for like, a minute.

Every time I think the shit trump pulls can't get any worse, he hits a new, terrifying low.
    And in each of those moments, I feel a peculiar sense of unreality.
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-19-2020 at 09:53 PM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I'm trying to find a window of optimism here. But I don't think there is one. Everything will be on the table if the court goes to 3-6. Civil liberties, women's rights, fair elections, decriminalization of plants, big pharma regulation, social security, pretty much any relief going to the poor. It could all go just like that. Oh, and no environmental regulation whatsoever.

We're all fucked. Senate will confirm a nominee after the election but before the inauguration. Court stacking isn't going to happen and if it does it could also lead to a huge backfire once dems lose control again.

And all of that is if Trump actually loses the election. Last I checked the odds were Biden -130, Trump +110. That's way too close for comfort in that regard. And I wouldn't even bother with polls after last election. A large number of Trump voters aren't the type of people pollers normally contact.

All of this brought to you by the electoral college.

The only remote hope is enough republican senators delay until inauguration. Unfortunately almost no rebublican has shown an ounce of integrity during this Trump disaster. Do we really think they will now? Romney, sure, but that's only because Trump made him look like a fool and so he hates Trump. Some other moderates will delay until the election but regardless of their outcome they will want to confirm after the election no matter what. It would take 4 republicans to flip until inauguration IF Trump loses. How likely is that?
    Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 09-19-2020 at 07:56 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Can someone please just kill the fucking turtle.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    of course on Twitter and when there's a journalist in front of him, he'll be all like "OH MY GOD I LOVED Ginsberg!!!! She was a pillar of tremendous female strength and tremendous, just tremendous... tremendously tremendous."

But you put him on a rally stage? "FILL THE SEAT!!!!!!!" not even 24 hours later.
    So, who is this lip service even FOR anymore? Who is supposed to buy it?

And then I realized, this disconnect between the truth and clear lies is all part of the gaslighting fun that's driving us libs crazy. NOBODY ON EARTH actually believes that Trump is truly saddened by the passing of Ginsberg.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Unfortunately, this is pretty fucking doomsday.

It’s pretty bad.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    There was some concern on Twitter earlier in the day that the Lincoln Project would steer away from their campaign against Trump because -let's face it, they're still Republicans and that Supreme Court seat sure looks tempting...
    But no.

Which is good, because they're doing the job that the Democrats should be doing.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'd like to think that they're not just chasing down and tackling the point here, and the Lincoln Project has got to know what sticks with this president is practically NOTHING. I think they know this is a platitude more than anything; that you can wag your finger at Mitch McConnell, and he'll just give you a goofy smile and stare into your eyes and for a brief moment, you will see hell reflected back at you, and then he'll worm his way over to a microphone and warble about how it's cute that you thought your ideals would keep you afloat... and then he'll just pretend you were never in the room. Maybe he'll smile in that wormy way while he points out that "you have no power here"

The shitty part is, he's mostly right. This isn't about who is right or wrong.
    I hate to say it, but I think they'll have someone intractably installed before the election.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    how can they get away with confirming a nominee, when they wouldn't let Garland through in an election year?

the sheer hypocrisy of this is astounding.