Page 1 of 156 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Random General Headlines

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

Here's your place to post and talk about news items that don't necessarily warrant their own thread but are worth discussion.

Here's one. Kind of important. The senate just voted to keep a provision in the National Defense Authorization Act that would allow American citizens to be imprisoned, indefinitely, without due process, if they are suspected of being a terrorist. Yeah, that shit happened. This is insane.Here's a petition asking Obama to veto this.

Admin edit: Actually, considering the gravity of the subject, the topic is worthy of its own thread.
    Last edited by orestes; 12-03-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: posts merged with another thread

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Good time to bring up the racist woman on a tram incident.

I used to take this tram every day to go to school. She got arrested following the video becoming so popular online.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Eish that woman's gonna regret that last bottle of vodka.

What a disgrace

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Due to a current class action settlement underway against Ticketmaster, if you bought tickets through TicketMaster from Oct. 21, 1999 - Oct. 19, 2011 you can join. Should it win, you will receive codes for discounts of $1.50 for each ticket you bought ($1.50 TicketMaster cash, that is...towards another ticket). If you had UPS deliver, that's another $5 each time. Not too great, like $25.50 max per person, and of course U.S. only so I'm fucked out of it. Still interesting though.

Pitchfork article.

Actual class action page to sign up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That video made me pissed at that bitch, but arrested​?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Hungary outlaws homeless in move condemned by charities

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15982882
    and digested by http://www.geekosystem.com/hungary-o...eing-homeless/

...what.. the..

Hungary, giving houses to homeless, you're doing it wrong.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sublimaze View Post
    Yeah, I didn't quite get that, either. I guess you could say it was for harassment. I guess. But that's a pretty fine line.

She was, however, a massive cunt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sublimaze View Post
    its a very good point - do those "hate preachers" you read about get arrested each time they spout their racist shite?

We all agree racism is absolutely wrong and abhorrent - but do all forms of racism get treated with equal contempt?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Herman Cain just dropped out of the GOP race. I can't believe he had so much support. That whole field is pretty weak actually.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    There's a 'Herman Cain just pulled out' joke in there somewhere...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LEA View Post
    Herman Cain just dropped out of the GOP race. I can't believe he had so much support. That whole field is pretty weak actually.
    Thank fucking god...now we need to get the others to drop out too heh.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Last edited by halloween; 12-03-2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: baaah words

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    LOL. There's a reason I've configured my Facebook feed to be primarily my fiancee, a few friends and family, and the rest bands, movies, news, magazines, etc. etc. I'm on Twitter pretty much the entire day in one form or another, so I'm guilty too...but other than checking ETS, my other half a dozen regular pages, email, etc....I'm bored by a lot of the interwebz.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Yeah, I didn't quite get that, either. I guess you could say it was for harassment. I guess. But that's a pretty fine line.
    It's not a fine line at all. The law in the UK is quite clear: "Expressions of hatred toward someone on account of that person's colour, race, nationality (including citizenship), ethnic or national origin, religion, or sexual orientation is forbidden. Any communication which is threatening, abusive or insulting, and is intended to harass, alarm, or distress someone is forbidden."

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Well, then that law is pretty absurd.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Just arrested? I'm kinda hoping her kid gets taken away from her. Racist shit should not be allowed to breed.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Well, then that law is pretty absurd.
    Could you explain why?

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Yes. I understand harassment is an issue, but saying something racist or homophobic shouldn't be against the law. It makes someone an asshole, sure. But it should not be illegal. That's ridiculous. Hurting someone's feelings shouldn't get you arrested.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    saying something racist or homophobic shouldn't be against the law
    Unless it's actually leading to violence. Enticing violence through abuse of your right of free speech, I think, should be illegal.

I was watching the clip, and stumbled across this:

Some of the comments are incredible. I'm always baffled by how ignorant some people are.

Oh, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAND: WE HAVE A GOVERNMENT! Oh yeah...
    Last edited by Elke; 12-05-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Ugh, what a dick.

1) It's not a subway. It's a TRAM. A TRAM IS NOT THE TUBE.
    2) Actually, 70% of Londoners are WHITE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_London
    3) We in England have freedom of speech. You live in America - seen the UC Davis pepper spray video?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yes. I understand harassment is an issue, but saying something racist or homophobic shouldn't be against the law. It makes someone an asshole, sure. But it should not be illegal. That's ridiculous. Hurting someone's feelings shouldn't get you arrested.
    How would bullying fit in? I agree for the most part that people should be able to say hateful things and express hateful ideas And only have to suffer everyone knowing they are bigoted assholes, but at some point doesn't someone cross the line into directly harming another person? Call it bullying, harassment, stalking, terrorism, whatever, you're using your words and general behavior to harm people. To a point It should probably be let go. I mean people shouldn't jailed for a simple insult. But if you take it so far as to make a person legitimately afraid, or to make an entire train horrified? At some point words have to be counted. Ideas are fine, but abuse is abuse.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    3) We in England have freedom of speech. You live in America - seen the UC Davis pepper spray video?
    I'm strictly going by the law that Tim posted. That doesn't sound like free speech to me. Now, maybe the spirit of the law isn't the same as the letter of the law in that situation, maybe it's enforced differently than the way it's read, I don't know. But, like I said, I was going by the way it was written, and was only commenting on the law itself.

And no one is arguing that we don't have our share of problems, nor was I arguing free speech in America versus England or anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by themethatyouknow View Post
    How would bullying fit in? I agree for the most part that people should be able to say hateful things and express hateful ideas And only have to suffer everyone knowing they are bigoted assholes, but at some point doesn't someone cross the line into directly harming another person? Call it bullying, harassment, stalking, terrorism, whatever, you're using your words and general behavior to harm people. To a point It should probably be let go. I mean people shouldn't jailed for a simple insult. But if you take it so far as to make a person legitimately afraid, or to make an entire train horrified? At some point words have to be counted. Ideas are fine, but abuse is abuse.
    You took my quote out of context. Which is understandable; maybe I didn't quite explain my argument as well as I could have. I'm not saying what she did wasn't harassment. In the section you quoted me from, I was specificially talking about the law that Tim brought up. You and I are pretty much in agreement, actually.
    Last edited by theruiner; 12-05-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I was replying to the guy in the YouTube video - all of those points were in reference to him.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Yeah, I realized that after I posted my reply. Sorry about that.

Though maybe it's good that I clairifed, anyway, just so no one misunderstood what I was saying. *shrug* Or maybe I just screwed up. ha ha.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Yeah, I realized that after I posted my reply. Sorry about that.

Though maybe it's good that I clairifed, anyway, just so no one misunderstood what I was saying. *shrug* Or maybe I just screwed up. ha ha.
    It's specific to hate crime.

Quote Originally Posted by wiki

A person who uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, abusive or insulting, is guilty of an offence if—
    (a) he intends thereby to stir up racial hatred, or
    (b) having regard to all the circumstances racial hatred is likely to be stirred up thereby.

The Racial and Religious Hatred Act 2006 amended the Public Order Act 1986 by adding Part 3A. That Part says, "A person who uses threatening words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, is guilty of an offence if he intends thereby to stir up religious hatred." The Part protects freedom of expression by stating in Section 29J:

Nothing in this Part shall be read or given effect in a way which prohibits or restricts discussion, criticism or expressions of antipathy, dislike, ridicule, insult or abuse of particular religions or the beliefs or practices of their adherents, or of any other belief system or the beliefs or practices of its adherents, or proselytising or urging adherents of a different religion or belief system to cease practising their religion or belief system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_sp...United_Kingdom

In other words, the behavior must be threatening and the law cannot be enforced to limit speech otherwise. Note that threatening basically means "violence" in this context.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Ah, gotcha. Well, to be fair, that context wasn't in the original post. In the context of what we were talking about, it seemed to be specifically talking about speech in general, not hate crimes. Lesson learned, though- next time I'll check the link and read the entire statement in context.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    She deserved to be arrested, but not necessarily strictly for hate speech, but for the fact that children were around when such ignorance(and cursing) was being spoken.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    This is the same "news" outlet that cries about a "war on Christmas" every year. I don't think they even believe what they're spewing. I feel the same way about Glenn Beck- there's no way he's that stupid. His listeners are, but he isn't. Stupid and/or ignorant people who watch Fox News, and only Fox News, will fall for this kind of dreck, and they know this sort of sensationalist crap pulls those people in by the millions. It's still pathetic, though.