233 Post(s)

also this:

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Here I thought when I clicked on this thread there would be some interesting predictions about what's been going on...

The recent developments in Iran have definitely made war with Iran seem possible. Iraq just announced that they approved the removal of all US military/personnel from their country, and Iran also ended the commitment to the nuclear deal. If we were to go to war with Iran, then you may as well include Iraq, since their people seem to be just as pissed off as Iranians.

IF war broke out within the next few weeks/months, is the US alone, or will there be a "coalition" of countries that help us?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Doubtful, France or the UK don't want anything to do with this. Maybe we could ask our Russian "allies" for help?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Someone surely will align with the US either A. Because destabilization puts themselves or their interests at risk or 2. Because chaos in the region somehow benefits them. No one will be saddling up because they think it’s a noble and just fight.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d1stinct View Post
    Here I thought when I clicked on this thread there would be some interesting predictions about what's been going on...

The recent developments in Iran have definitely made war with Iran seem possible. Iraq just announced that they approved the removal of all US military/personnel from their country, and Iran also ended the commitment to the nuclear deal. If we were to go to war with Iran, then you may as well include Iraq, since their people seem to be just as pissed off as Iranians.

IF war broke out within the next few weeks/months, is the US alone, or will there be a "coalition" of countries that help us?
    What scares ME is that Russia, China and Iran recently did war games together.

I don't think it will just be Iran- I think it could be Iran, backed by Russia and China. NK might jump in, too.

Iraq isn't a real threat.

But, I think Putin has been trying to destabilize the US for years, because he desperately wants to recreate the USSR as a superpower. China would like to become a superpower too, I'd imagine. OH. You can also probably add Turkey to that list, and maybe Pakistan.

And Iran/NK DO NOT GIVE A FUCK.

I fear an Axis style coalition.

In THAT case, we WOULD be supported by an Allied style coalition.

As much as Trump has pissed off the leaders of the countries who would support us, the thing is, they still NEED us. We're the only superpower country. Our defense spending is higher than the next 8 or so countries, COMBINED.

I think those countries would still want/need us, if they were invaded, and I think the US is still expected to be the World Police in such situations, "coming through to save the motherfucking day," et al.

I made this thread in 2013, because of the Syria situation at the time.

I'm currently SERIOUSLY fearing WW3, which would be global annihilation.

I think this shit has been a long time coming.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Doubtful, France or the UK don't want anything to do with this. Maybe we could ask our Russian "allies" for help?
    Our prime minister has gone AWOL but he’s pretty keen on sucking America’s cock in the current climate so I’m not so confident.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Our prime minister has gone AWOL but he’s pretty keen on sucking America’s cock in the current climate so I’m not so confident.
    if it's just Iran and Iraq, I seriously hope no other country would support us.

If Iran is supported by other countries, with nukes, and fucktons of money, and an absurd number of soldiers, then, that's a different kettle of fish.

Edit: China has a huge economy and a billion people, and NK and Russia have nuclear weapons.

And trump has made those countries REALLY hate us, and laugh at us, with his suave artsy deals.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-05-2020 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    What scares ME is that Russia, China and Iran recently did war games together.

I don't think it will just be Iran- I think it could be Iran, backed by Russia and China. NK might jump in, too.
    No question Russia, to some extent would be involved. I would view Russia's support to Iran as a proxy, not directly involved, but they would supply them with logistical information and possibly even arms.

Syria is also an ally of Iran, I'd imagine they would also be involved.

Is the Doomsday clock still working?!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Downplaying the military strength of Iran seems to be a common thing. Obviously Iran doesn't have the military might that the US has, especially on a global scale, but if this war comes to fruition, it won't start as a global war. Which means you shouldn't account for the overall might of ones global military power, you need to account only for the regional power that the countries in play have.

Taking a quick look at Iran's military assets (#14 ranked) - https://www.globalfirepower.com/coun...ountry_id=iran
    And assuming Iraq joins with Iran (#50 ranked) - https://www.globalfirepower.com/coun...ountry_id=iraq
    And assuming Syria eventually joins Iran (#53 ranked) - https://www.globalfirepower.com/coun...untry_id=syria

I don't know what the US is capable regionally, and I won't act like I know, obviously some of our military is capable of being deployed globally to destroy targets (stealth bombers), and I don't know what aircraft carriers or w/e we have that are in arms reach of Iran, but I fear our boots might get stuck in mud if we over reach, and over reaching is the only option when you declare war against a nation.

And lets not forget, Iran also has quite a few arms that reach out to "state-sponsored terrorist groups" around the middle east, and Africa.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    am I the only one growing kind of curious on the side how this State of the Union speech is going to play out considering?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Regardless of the overarching tensions in the region, many Iranians are actually pleased with what happened:

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020...h-of-solemani/

I have a friend in Iran, a natural-born Iranian citizen named Mohsen,who frequently shares news and opinion pieces from his country. A lot of it is stuff we don't hear on mainstream news. He echoes what this article is saying, and seeing as he actually lives there, i tend to give extra weight to what he says on the subject.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Oh, and for the record, I wouldn't serve the country either. Don't get me wrong.

I'm still a liberal leftist.

I still hope someone kills trump
    Christopher Kempczinski is working on it.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Regardless of the overarching tensions in the region, many Iranians are actually pleased with what happened:

I have a friend in Iran, a natural-born Iranian citizen named Mohsen,who frequently shares news and opinion pieces from his country. A lot of it is stuff we don't hear on mainstream news. He echoes what this article is saying, and seeing as he actually lives there, i tend to give extra weight to what he says on the subject.
    there's also the part where Soleimani was a key figure in the Iranian revolution, that was supposedly going to help the average Iranian, but it didn't.

I saw an expert talking head say that,in fact, the VAST MAJORITY of Iranians are happy to see him gone. (I saw this on CBSN about an hour ago.)

Also, UGH. They were talking about how now, we're going to have to carefully navigate Iraqi politics, to quell Iranian influence in Iraq.

It's more never ending, self inflicted bullshit for the US in the middle east.

With these things, all of it seems to be related to some past blood for oil action we've taken, even if it's a tangential connection- that, and our relationship with Israel.

Our Middle Eastern/North African foreign policy drives me insane, a LOT, no matter who is in office. It's been fucked up since...at least since the end of WW2, right? It's certainly been fucked up since I was old enough to pay attention.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Earlier today:

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I love Chicago

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Regardless of the overarching tensions in the region, many Iranians are actually pleased with what happened
    Pretty sure if another country's leader decided on their own to take out Trump in a strike, many Americans would be pleased with it.

Doesn't make the action a good one.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    many Iranians are actually pleased with what happened:

You wouldn't know it judging from this footage.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    You wouldn't know it judging from this footage.

I'm not so sure all those people are there by actual choice, though, @TheLastSpaceman.

But, who fucking knows. I know what "expert" cat said on CBSN, but who really knows?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm not so sure all those people are there by actual choice, though, @TheLastSpaceman.

But, who fucking knows. I know what "expert" cat said on CBSN, but who really knows?
    he kept ISIS out of Iran

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Just some random interesting Twitter observations:

Last edited by allegro; 01-06-2020 at 09:52 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    so, then, @Cat Mom , it would appear that the articles and commentary from talking heads (stating that Iranians did NOT like Solemani) could be some sort of US propaganda.

What gets me, though, is that that shit is coming from mainstream news sources.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Has anyone pointed out yet that people can show up to a funeral because they're paying their respects, OR because they're glad to see someone dead and want to celebrate in the moment?

(I am NOT speculating at all as to what is happening over there, but you can't tell me for a second that you find it hard to believe for example that both pro- and anti-Trump people would be out in the streets if the dude had a heart attack mid-cheeseburger tomorrow.)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

so, i sought out the thing i mentioned, wherein the commentator says that he thinks that the vast majority of Iranians are happy to see Soleimani gone, because i wanted to see what you guys think.

I don't know what to think- there are conflicting reports.

go to about the 5 minute mark to hear "a Senior Fellow of the Foundation for Defense of Democracies," Benham Ben Taleblu, make this argument.

I honestly don't know what to think about ANYTHING anymore, when it comes to news, and i question everything.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @elevenism , The Iranians I’ve seen on Twitter are indicating that this is viewed as an assassination that’s part of a bigger American “plan.”

Sure, this guy wasn’t a “good” guy, at all, but his assassination has sparked Iranian solidarity in the face of a possible American coup. This guy wasn’t just “a General.” He was the 2nd highest in power in the Iranian government. Not quite Franz Ferdinand territory, but we shall see.

The U.S. goal is a regime change, a coup d'état. We did this in Iran, already, when we installed the Shah.

Edit: See this: https://en.radiofarda.com/a/police-a.../30350324.html
    Last edited by allegro; 01-07-2020 at 03:47 PM.