Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1208

Thread: What are you reading?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Stopped: "Our Alberta Heritage" by Jacques Hamilton ... just didn't connect with it and kinda fell out of the routine, so to keep me honest I'll post this.

but I did read a quick thing; "Scarfolk Annual" by Richard Littler, I very much liked it. Quite disturbed. Read more about the Scarfolk Council here

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Side note: do you do that text color on purpose? Because gray on gray is hard to see.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Side note: do you do that text color on purpose? Because gray on gray is hard to see.
    What text colour? Aside from using the Dark Theme, everything I do here is on defaults.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    What text colour? Aside from using the Dark Theme, everything I do here is on defaults.
    none of your posts show up as grey text for me, MrLobster.

allegate, have you found that happens for anyone else's posts? i see it occasionally when someone has copied text from another site, or purposefully changed the color, but otherwise i haven't had an issue with it.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    His text is light grey for me too, but that's only on the posts he makes in this thread. I always assumed it was because he copied and pasted his short book review from another place where he had previously written it, like goodreads or something. It's not really a problem for me, I just highlight the text so I can read it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    really? wow. yeah there's no difference on the dark theme but on regular it looks pretty different.

I am blocked from most image hosts so can't post a picture but will when I get home.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    none of your posts show up as grey text for me, MrLobster.

allegate, have you found that happens for anyone else's posts? i see it occasionally when someone has copied text from another site, or purposefully changed the color, but otherwise i haven't had an issue with it.
    It's infrequent but it happens, yes.

I've taken to pasting everything I want to post here from another site into WordPad just so the formatting is removed before I put it into the reply box.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    His text is light grey for me too, but that's only on the posts he makes in this thread. I always assumed it was because he copied and pasted his short book review from another place where he had previously written it, like goodreads or something. It's not really a problem for me, I just highlight the text so I can read it.
    Oh, that could be it... I've certainly done that. But, how to correct it?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Oh, that could be it... I've certainly done that. But, how to correct it?
    You just need to remove the text formatting, which you could do right here on ETS when you're making your post. In the top left corner of the reply/text box is a little button that has two A's and red X. It's the second button from the top left. That's the "Remove Format" button. Just paste your review in the reply box and then highlight all of the text and press that button. Should work.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    You just need to remove the text formatting, which you could do right here on ETS when you're making your post. In the top left corner of the reply/text box is a little button that has two A's and red X. It's the second button from the top left. That's the "Remove Format" button. Just paste your review in the reply box and then highlight all of the text and press that button. Should work.
    I suppose my question really is this; yes I understand editing the one post that cut and paste but why would any formatting edits show up in all posts if they are a new post (and not, say, a reply to the one with the formatting) and if it's showing up in each post but I'm not cutting and pasting from another source, what's going on and how to correct that​.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

I suppose my question really is this; yes I understand editing the one post that cut and paste but why would any formatting edits show up in all posts if they are a new post (and not, say, a reply to the one with the formatting) and if it's showing up in each post but I'm not cutting and pasting from another source, what's going on and how to correct that​.
    Your text is totally normal in all your other posts. It's only different in the ones where you copy and paste your review.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    as promised:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    as promised:
    Yeah, based on the examples, I'd say it was the cut and paste but not removing the formatting issue. The fun part is that for most of the cut and pasting, it was from the previous post...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Starting: "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" by Douglas Adams (Folio Society edition); probably my first real re-read of it since the late 1980s... although I've listened to the radio series many times since then. I'm intending to pick up all the Folio Society editions of his books (replacing the previous hard cover editions I already have of most of them; I've been a long term quest to replace as many of the paperback and trade editions I have with hard cover ones, if they exist, of all of my books).

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished: "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" by Douglas Adams; still makes me laugh. Looking forward to reading the other four novels in the next two years (Folio editions aren't cheap).

Starting: "Agency" by William Gibson

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished: "Agency" by William Gibson; I liked it, but I tend to like all of his novels... another trip 23minutes into the future, just maybe not our future. However, if you've read "Exegesis" by Astro Teller, the plot may seem familiar.

Starting: "Misadventure" by Millard Kaufman
    Last edited by MrLobster; 02-06-2020 at 07:07 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Got me the Knickerbocker release of the complete H.P. Lovecraft fiction collection. So much I never had the chance to explore before now.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Holy shit. Wow, I was not expecting that.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished: "Misadventure" by Millard Kaufman; I liked it but it took a bit to get into... but once it did it grabbed quite well. SoCal noir with a raw feel to it.

Starting: "Discovering Scarfolk - For tourists & other trespassers".

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished: “Discovering Scarfolk — For tourists & other tresspassers” by Richard Littler; if you extrapolate the darkest humour by Douglas Adams, you’ll have a sense of Scarfolk… I liked it.

Starting: “Gods Behaving Badly” by Marie Phillips.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished: “Gods Behaving Badly” by Marie Phillips; a fun read. I liked it but I don't need to keep it.

Starting: "Sea of Poppies" by Amitav Ghosh (ARC version)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Stopped: "Sea of Poppies" by Amitav Ghosh (ARC version); lovely writing style but not one that is grabbing me.

Starting: "Hunger's Brides" by Paul Anderson (sure I bought the HC 15years ago while the author was in "my store" but now I'll get to reading it...)
    Last edited by MrLobster; 02-23-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished: "Hunger's Brides" by Paul Anderson... that was a big book. It's a smart book that doesn't mind showing off being smart. I think it could have been 2 or 3 smaller novels and achieve the same effect it was going for. It's written a few different styles; modern prose, poetry, stream of consciousness/magical thinking, screenplay and diary (and while they each serve the novel, it may also just be another way keep the reader interested). Is it good? Tough to me say... but I did finish reading it, so there's that but I also won't be keeping it. It can go find another good home.

Starting: "The Sea Road" by Margaret Elphinstone

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished: "The Sea Road" by Margaret Elphinstone... the life and times of an Icelandic woman making it to Vinland and back, and then on to Rome. It's not a complicated book, pretty basic in the narrative style (at least in comparison to "Hunger's Brides") but worth reading if you're into the sagas.

Taking a little break for my brainmeats while I wait for a book in mail (should be the end of the week).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Lost Acre (Rotherweird Book Three) by Andrew Caldecott, False Value by Ben Aaronovitch and Shameless: a sexual reformation by Nadia Bolz-Weber

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I decided to use this COVID time to get every Humble Bundle book I've purchased and organize them in Goodreads and then read them all. I'm sure that anyone following me over there has been wondering at the depth and breadth of the selections, going from an entire IDW run of Transformers to books about python and the Sword of Truth books.

So far the hardest thing is finding reading orders for the comic books and getting them downloaded. Humble has a bulk option for downloading but it doesn't always work.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    In a sci-fi mood - just finished the Atlantis Gene trilogy. Think I might read Dune next.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    If you've read My Best Friend's Exorcism the author has put some notes and highlights up on Goodreads.

>Where everyone was desperate to be an individual, but they all were terrified to stand out.

I wrote the first draft of this book and gave it to my wife to read, then sat back and waited for her to fall over in awe of my genius. Instead, she waited until we were on the subway to tell me it was a dumpster fire. It was all clichés and stereotypes. The characters felt thin, the situations were predictable, the emotions felt second hand. When I finished having my little man tantrum, I realized she was right. Everything in that draft was lifted from a John Hughes movie or a horror flick. I’d regurgitated tropes from the high school books and movies I’d been consuming all my life. I had been playing with someone else’s toys. What I hadn’t done was the hard work of actually remembering what high school in the Eighties had felt like. So I sat down with all her journals and letters and photos from back then, and all my journals and letters and photos, and spent a few weeks just reading them. I copied letters over again to remember how it felt to write them. I did that so much my handwriting changed. And, finally, after a couple of weeks, I remembered what it felt like to sit on the Quad at lunch on a Spring day. I heard the seagulls and the conversations, I remembered what the wet grass felt like, and how I wanted to be seen, and who I was talking to, and what I wanted them to think about me. It was a perfect memory of a few seconds, but that memory led to another, then another, and pretty soon I had the beginnings of this book. That sentence about being an individual? That’s word-for-word right out of the diary I kept in 1990 when I was 17.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    re-reading The Shining... anyone got any recommendations for horror or sci fi that deals with cabin fever?

Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    In a sci-fi mood - just finished the Atlantis Gene trilogy. Think I might read Dune next.
    Oh yes, you must read Dune if you haven't yet. It's maybe the best sci fi epic novel of all time. It's like the "Star Wars of books"
    Everyone should read Dune.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-16-2020 at 03:28 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    If you've read My Best Friend's Exorcism the author has put some notes and highlights up on Goodreads.
    i was JUST telling a friend today to read grady's books. i can't wait for his new one!