Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I'm actually not sure which David Sedaris book I'm reading, whether it's Santaland Diaries or Holidays on Ice, but it's...interesting. It's been a good long while since I've seen someone use the word "ho" or "retarded" in the ways that he does.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm currently finishing up I Want My MTV.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I read Emily Giffin's new book, All We Ever Wanted. I didn't like it. I found it trashy. I would never tell her that on social media because she's a bit of a snowflake and she's too sensitive to criticism. In the past, her husband has been known to get involved when her books didn't go over well. She writes chick lit. I think at times she seems frustrated by the fact that her audience is 99% female.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Stephen King's the Gunslinger. I recently got the first 4 books in the series, it's my first time reading them.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburningreptile View Post
    Stephen King's the Gunslinger. I recently got the first 4 books in the series, it's my first time reading them.
    oh MAN.
    it's just utterly fucking incredible, the whole thing. it's unreal.

i wish i could unread them so i could read them again.

do you read a lot of SK?

because it's good to have read 'Salem's Lot and Insomnia for sure as they are REALLY connected to it, and it also connects, to a lesser extent, with It, The Stand, Desperation, The Regulators, The Eyes of the Dragon, The Shining, etc.

It kind of ties the whole Stephen King universe together in epic style
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-06-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I loved the Dark Tower series. Except for Song of Susannah, I wanted to throw that thing on more than once occasion.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellyrific View Post
    I loved the Dark Tower series. Except for Song of Susannah, I wanted to throw that thing on more than once occasion.
    The first one was pretty damn good.
    2,3, and 4 were god like.
    5 and 6 were pretty good.
    7 was godlike.

Is Song where it got a little too uhhh... Meta?

Oh and did you read Wind Through the Keyhole aka 4.5 @Nellyrific ?

I think that series was at its best when it tapped into bizarre, deep psychological shit like "Charlie the choo choo/charyou tree" and "blaine is a pain and that's the truth" and "this is nineteen. This is chassit. All of your friends are dead" and dear god I could go on forever.

I'm glad I read the first few at 13/14; I just don't think you get that same sense of wonder as easily when you're grown.

The wife and I aim to get matching "An-Tet" tattoos ( in high speech)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    The first one was pretty damn good.
    2,3, and 4 were god like.
    5 and 6 were pretty good.
    7 was godlike.

Is Song where it got a little too uhhh... Meta?

Oh and did you read Wind Through the Keyhole aka 4.5 @Nellyrific ?

I think that series was at its best when it tapped into bizarre, deep psychological shit like "Charlie the choo choo/charyou tree" and "blaine is a pain and that's the truth" and "this is nineteen. This is chassit. All of your friends are dead" and dear god I could go on forever.

I'm glad I read the first few at 13/14; I just don't think you get that same sense of wonder as easily when you're grown.

The wife and I aim to get matching "An-Tet" tattoos ( in high speech)

I think I walked around saying “cry your pardon” and “mayhap” for days after I finished each book.

Definitely meta...but that wasn’t all. I don’t want to go into detail because spoilers but there’s not much about that book I liked.

I absolutely know what you’re talking about with the bizarre shit. I loved Blaine - The Waste Lands was my favorite in the series.

I definitely read 4.5 and loved it. I wouldn’t be opposed to more of these flashback stories.

You should definitely get that tattoo!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    oh MAN.
    it's just utterly fucking incredible, the whole thing. it's unreal.

i wish i could unread them so i could read them again.

do you read a lot of SK?

because it's good to have read 'Salem's Lot and Insomnia for sure as they are REALLY connected to it, and it also connects, to a lesser extent, with It, The Stand, Desperation, The Regulators, The Eyes of the Dragon, The Shining, etc.

It kind of ties the whole Stephen King universe together in epic style
    Yeah I'm really loving it so far. I'm new to Stephen King but have always known about him. I had gotten two of his books before these 4 and they were Just After Sunset and Four After Midnight.

They are great too. I'm wanting to collect all of the Stephen King stuff i come across. I just picked up a Stephen King DVD boxset this past weekend. Also Storm of The Century has to be me my favorite work related to Stephen King.

I want to read those too though. What's your favorite book of his?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Yeah I'm really loving it so far. I'm new to Stephen King but have always known about him. I had gotten two of his books before these 4 and they were Just After Sunset and Four After Midnight.

They are great too. I'm wanting to collect all of the Stephen King stuff i come across. I just picked up a Stephen King DVD boxset this past weekend. Also Storm of The Century has to be me my favorite work related to Stephen King.

You should go to used book stores or library book sales because there’s ALWAYS Stephen King books available. I don’t know where you’re located but if you have a Goodwill Bookstore you should check them out too. (Unless you prefer brand new books in which case ignore my post )

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

I've read EVERY Stephen King book and DAMN, that's a hard question to answer.

His books make me happier than just about anything and you can't go wrong with ANY of them really. (TDT 3: The Wastelands and TDT 4 are two of my very favorites, but you've already got those.)

So okay. if i had to pick one, with a gun to my head like, that isn't an episodic TDT installment?
    I would go with the uncut version of The Stand.
    Under the Dome is incredible too and, in a way, similar to The Stand. It explores some of the same themes but on a micro rather than macrocosmic scale and has cultural references that are a little more recent.
    Edit: These both fall into both the horror thriller AND post apocalyptic categories you asked about before

I would also HIGHLY recommend The Talisman, The Shining, Needful Things, It, The Dark Half, 11/22/63, Joyland, Revival-the list goes on and on.

Four Past Midnight was an incredible Novella collection. There's another one called Different Seasons that has Shawshank Redemption, The Body (aka Stand By Me,) and Apt Pupil.
    And another great short story collection is Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

I am SO excited for you!!!

I love his work for a lot of reasons, but the main thing is his "voice." i feel like i'm having a conversation with him when i read his work. I feel like he's telling the story directly TO ME.

Stephen King's work has made me happier than pretty much anything else in this life, happier than any music or movies or tv show.
    If you enjoy it even 25% as much as i do, you are in for a real treat!!

Last edited by elevenism; 07-09-2018 at 12:00 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm currently reading Adjustment Day by Chuck Palahniuk. Kind of hard to get into so far.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I just finished that book. I agree that it was hard to get into, though I found several different reasons for that. First you have the story being told in several different perspectives and they don't seem to be in any kind of order time-wise. Second you have a very tough story to sell due to how violent it is. Thirdly, there's a part where a character in the book critiques Fight Club. That part was (and it's appropriate since we're talking about King on this page as well) too meta for me. Thankfully it's over quickly.

I gave the book 3 stars on goodreads because I didn't like how the story basically just wandered for the back third. It's well-written, and I can certainly see what he was going for, but I don't think he stuck the landing. (Also oddly appropriate because of the King talk.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I just finished that book. I agree that it was hard to get into, though I found several different reasons for that. First you have the story being told in several different perspectives and they don't seem to be in any kind of order time-wise. Second you have a very tough story to sell due to how violent it is. Thirdly, there's a part where a character in the book critiques Fight Club. That part was (and it's appropriate since we're talking about King on this page as well) too meta for me. Thankfully it's over quickly.

I gave the book 3 stars on goodreads because I didn't like how the story basically just wandered for the back third. It's well-written, and I can certainly see what he was going for, but I don't think he stuck the landing. (Also oddly appropriate because of the King talk.)
    Okay, well glad I'm not the only one! I found myself having to re-read sections because of the different perspectives. I haven't gotten as far as the Fight Club critique, but I'm interested to see how that plays out. Sadly, it seems like some of his later books just aren't hitting that sweet spot. Make Something Up was good, but I hated Beautiful You. I really enjoyed Doomed but I can barely remember Damned. So, we'll see how this book plays out.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Talking about Stephen King made me remember that he had a new book I'd been waiting for and forgotten about.

I'm about to put it on my paperwhite. I'm thrilled and I know what I'm going to be doing with all of my free time today and tomorrow.

It's called The Outsider I think. Have any of you guys read it yet?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    Okay, well glad I'm not the only one! I found myself having to re-read sections because of the different perspectives. I haven't gotten as far as the Fight Club critique, but I'm interested to see how that plays out. Sadly, it seems like some of his later books just aren't hitting that sweet spot. Make Something Up was good, but I hated Beautiful You. I really enjoyed Doomed but I can barely remember Damned. So, we'll see how this book plays out.
    Wow, I had the opposite reaction to Doomed/Damned: I liked Damned but didn't care for Doomed at all.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Wow, I had the opposite reaction to Doomed/Damned: I liked Damned but didn't care for Doomed at all.
    Interesting! It's been a while since I've read those so I won't be surprised if my mind changes when I revisit them.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    Interesting! It's been a while since I've read those so I won't be surprised if my mind changes when I revisit them.
    I just wasn't a fan of the way the book was written like livejournal entries. I get what he was trying to do, it just didn't click for me.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I've bought so many Stephen King and Neil Gaiman books I can't decide what to start on....

so I started this.

Unfortunately the guy I bought it from on Amazon sent me a different publisher copy that doesn't match my set. Bleh.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    It's summer so that means terrible books. I saw the newest Gideon Crew book at the library and I had a flight coming up so I grabbed all of the books on my kindle. I don't know if it was the writing or if I've just been reading some 'better' books but wow these were not good. I made it through the first book and most of the second in one day, and that was a combination of having read them before and also scanning large swaths where nothing really was going on.

I made it through the rest of the re-reads - more of the same bs all over - and started book five yesterday morning. I made it through about 65% of the book in less than two hours. It's just scan-scan-scan the same old crap over and over. Hell, in one chapter they say, "they went hunting with some bow and arrows" and then three pages later, while discussing what kind of "present" to make to the chief, say, "We should give them a bow and arrow, they don't have that". what. the. hell.

Also while reading some of the reviews on goodreads I see this is the last book in the series, which is funny because in the author's note in book one they talk about wanting to make it to 12 books. I guess they got bored? The book certainly reads like they did.

I really like the Pendergast series from them, that's what made me pick this one up. Though it's funny: I say I like the series but I notice that I haven't read anything after book 13. Maybe because book 12 was a good end to the series and 13 felt like them just going through the paces? I mean they killed off some of the plot armor characters and that felt like a sign of being done but they're still going.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @allegate , i know they are totally different things, but have you ever read any of those First North Americans books by that archaeologist couple? i just thought of it because you mentioned "chief."

I REALLY enjoyed them when i was younger. People of the Lakes, People of the Earth, etc.

They sure aren't high art but they're pretty damn entertaining stories, are full of real info about native Americans, and there are a FUCKTON of them. ;P
    It sounds like you read like me, which is to say a lot.
    I'd be willing to share my kindle copies (and several convincing articles about why there's nothing wrong with sharing books, digital or not, if need be.)

Another thing i'd recommend, and this may sound obvious, but it's Steinbeck. I've read everything he ever wrote.
    And man, Cannery Row, Tortilla Flat, East of Eden: they're all just fucking incredible. Obviously they're a little deeper than the American Indian books.

But all of that shit's worth a read.

Anyway man, just laying some unsolicited advice on you since it sounds like you're in a literary rut.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I'm probably going to read Grapes of Wrath with my son this fall, just depends on how fast we get through the book we're reading now which is Silo by Hugh Howey, which we just started reading last night. It was kind of funny because we made it through the first chapter and at the end he's like, this is depressing! Is anything good going to happen? I laughed and told him that it's post-apocalyptic - of course it's depressing - but it'll get better eventually.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I read Tell Me Lies by Carola Lovering because it was mentioned in Cosmopolitan magazine. I tried to write a review of it at Goodreads, but for some reason my post isn't showing up. I don't know how that novel got so many good reviews. It's actually a terrible book, to be honest. I feel really bad about not liking someone's debut novel, but I just couldn't find anything redeemable about it. The 2 main characters are both so unlikeable. The book constantly jumps back and forth from the present to the past and back again. There are also 2 different viewpoints. The girl was a vapid idiot, and the boy was the worst male character in literary history. It can get really confusing even if you're sober and paying attention. I forced myself to finish reading only because I wasted my hard earned money on a hardcover copy. Without giving spoilers, I'll just say that the ending was very, very disappointing. This book was an absolute mess, so poorly written and way too vulgar for a romance novel. I just couldn't empathize with kids constantly getting drunk, doing drugs, and being promiscuous in their dorm rooms. Maybe my own college experience was atypical. I don't know...
    Last edited by Boots; 08-14-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Imagine the last case of the Scooby gang was a real monster and they grew up and then 13 years later go back to find out what actually happened and then suddenly it's Cthulu-time, that's what you get here.

There's some weird writing styles going on - it will switch the dialogue would change from standard quotation marks and dialogue tags to script style in the middle of a scene. There are multiple 4th wall references like "the monster blah blah blah and didn't even survive this paragraph" or another part where it's talking about monster Mu (as in the Greek letter) and then it says "getting back to Mu from four lines ago". There's even a part with a monster (as in monsters and the sheer size of the crowd) fight that is at least a page long and is one sentence. It gives it a frantic style that I could appreciate but I also skimmed because I don't care who punches who where or slices this or that appendage off when it's this frantic. It was a little busy in that regard.

I think when I'm done with it - I'm right near the end - it'll probably be a 3.5 out of 5. It has some decent humor and the way he turns a phrase has me frequently re-reading sections just to enjoy them again. "The corner chaise lounge was for catatonics. The sofa was a sort of UN demilitarized zone, an upholstered Jerusalem that members of different creeds reluctantly shared during interbellum periods." Which leads me to this review I'm reading on Goodreads:
    From the beginning, the way that Cantero chose to describe or word particular scenes became bothersome. I began to feel rather unintelligent: 'sotto voce'd', 'perennial kawaii smile', 'Byronian face', 'Greenwich parallel of Eternia'. Umm, HUH? Maybe I should know what some of these mean, but without looking them up I simply passed right over them, not a clue.
    It's made funnier that she mentions in the previous paragraph that she liked She-Ra but then she doesn't get Greenwich parallel of Eternia.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @allegate did you read it because i mentioned it? i think i posted about it in this thread a while back! i love his writing style (if you haven't read his other book, "the supernatural enhancements" you should do it as soon as you're done with this one) and the book was just so fucking fun. my wife is (finally) reading it right now after i pestered her about it for a couple months haha.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    @allegate did you read it because i mentioned it? i think i posted about it in this thread a while back! i love his writing style (if you haven't read his other book, "the supernatural enhancements" you should do it as soon as you're done with this one) and the book was just so fucking fun. my wife is (finally) reading it right now after i pestered her about it for a couple months haha.
    You definitely reminded me of it. I read The Supernatural Enhancements back in 2014 so I more or less had given up on seeing another book from him due to the passage of time with no new book. I was in Barnes & Noble a few months ago and it was featured on one of their shelves and I promptly forgot about it until I saw it again here; it finally came up in my queue at the library a little while ago.

This Body's Not Big Enough for Both of Us is on order at the library so I hope to read it soon too.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    You definitely reminded me of it. I read The Supernatural Enhancements back in 2014 so I more or less had given up on seeing another book from him due to the passage of time with no new book. I was in Barnes & Noble a few months ago and it was featured on one of their shelves and I promptly forgot about it until I saw it again here; it finally came up in my queue at the library a little while ago.

This Body's Not Big Enough for Both of Us is on order at the library so I hope to read it soon too.
    AHHHHH i didn't know he put out another book so recently!!! i'm so excited!!!

also, if you like lovecraftian-tinged fiction with a decent dose of humor amid the horror, check out Carter & Lovecraft and then After The End Of The World (currently reading) by Jonathan L. Howard. he also wrote all the johannes cabal books, which were fantastic.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    AHHHHH i didn't know he put out another book so recently!!! i'm so excited!!!

also, if you like lovecraftian-tinged fiction with a decent dose of humor amid the horror, check out Carter & Lovecraft and then After The End Of The World (currently reading) by Jonathan L. Howard. he also wrote all the johannes cabal books, which were fantastic.
    Already read Carter & Lovecraft - that was great - and I need to get the sequel. Also read the JC books. The first one was so amazing to read because it was like a BBC television show narrated by Stephen Fry, even though I know the dude was German.

Are you on Goodreads?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Already read Carter & Lovecraft - that was great - and I need to get the sequel. Also read the JC books. The first one was so amazing to read because it was like a BBC television show narrated by Stephen Fry, even though I know the dude was German.

Are you on Goodreads?
    i am not but now i feel like i should be haha

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

"my best friend's exorcism" by grady hendrix

just read this in a very short amount of time because it was so compelling. starts out really fun, gets really intense (and gross), but managed to keep me intrigued and excited the whole time. i really loved it.

now i'm reading the author's previous novel, Horrorstor, which is basically a haunted house novel that takes place in an ikea (the book even looks like an ikea catalog, which is hilarious).
    $1.99 on the Kindle store today, as is Horrorstor.