Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41
Results 1,201 to 1,208 of 1208

Thread: What are you reading?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Hell House by Richard Matheson. This is a fun book.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    For the next >24 hours (I don't know when the sale started) all books by author Will Wight are free on Kindle and then only $2 to add narration via audible. I recommend the Cradle series - the last book comes out next week, hence the sale - if you like fantasy books set in a somewhat feudal China but with magic.

This review sets the series up well enough:
    Cradle falls into a genre that I've been aware of for some time, but that I wasn't necessarily sure of a name for, and until relatively recently I'm not sure it even had one that was agreed upon. Now, it does. Progression fantasy. The idea being that it falls into a sub-genre of fantasy in which the main character(s) steadily increases in power and/or skill as the series progresses. You typically see stories like this in anime, in xianxia/wuxia-inspired web novels, etc. So its emergence into the western sphere is more recent, and Wight's Cradle series is often pointed at as a good a place to dive in if you're craving that type of story. I am, in fact, craving that type of story.

Unsouled is not written in stand-out prose. Wight does not have a mastery of language, and he is not writing characters of limitless depth. But what he clearly does have is a mind for stories, a solid foundation for world-building, and a penchant for fast-paced plotting. I say it all the time; not every book has to have everything. Most just have to do one thing well enough to be engaging, and I think Wight achieves that here.
    I started reading the series for the first time on March 3rd and finished the last (at the time) book on April 14th so they're very fast reads. If you like over-powered anime fights you will probably like the series. I give them a 3.5 or 4 overall because they are fun, just missing some real stakes at times.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I realize I probably read too much Stephen King, but I find his stuff entertaining. I'd never read The Dark Half, and I'm about 75 pages in, but this feels... more twisted from the start than his other stuff. I hear that after writing this, he sobered up. Maybe he was struggling with some really messed up demons when he did this book. I wonder if it's one of the ones he doesn't remember writing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I lost my copy of The Witcher: Time Of Contempt so I started re-reading Alices Adventures In Wonderland. That book really captures the absurdity of what it feels like while dreaming and I love it.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    My Effin Life by Mr. GEDDY EFFIN' LEE!

I also got the audio version, as it's read by...GEDDY LEE! (and Alex Lifeson).

Good GOD, there's a chapter in there about his family and the holocaust, and it's SO fucking hardcore that there's a disclaimer: Ged warns the reader that the following chapter will be VERY intense, and it's ok to skip it.

I read it, of course, and it had me in tears.

But, yeah. I've honestly been into...well, more like OBSESSED with, Rush, since I was a fucking CHILD: I found my folks' copy of A Farewell to Kings at age 7 or so, was fascinated by the cover, threw that shit on the turntable and that was that. In like, 96, I took the tour book from Test for Echo, cut the pages out, and arranged them as a CROSS over my bed: like, fuck your this is MY religion. So this autobiography is a dream come true.

Here is an interview about the book:

Last edited by elevenism; 12-09-2023 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Currently reading Salems Lot by Stephen King but not sure if I'm enjoying it. About 220 pages in.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I just finished Doppelganger by Naomi Klein. I really liked it.

It's different from Klein's other, more investigative books, it's more personal. She uses the fact that people started mixing her up with Naomi Wolf years ago, then covers how Wolf has slid down the dark hole of right-wing conspiracy theories, and then uses that doppelganger/mirror-image theme to frame the division between the world that most of us live in and the anti-vax/Republican/Zionist "mirror world".

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wampa View Post
    Currently reading Salems Lot by Stephen King but not sure if I'm enjoying it. About 220 pages in.
    It's a good one.