Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32

Thread: What are you reading?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    great interview was a fan of chucks until i think "snuff" which i felt was shock for shocks sake , kind of clarifies some of that. kind of makes me reassess how i feel and think about all "shock" artists
    -louie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah I just finished Adjustment Day and I feel the same way. His last few books have been misses and it seems like he writes shock for shocks sake. The book was okay, but the ending was disappointing and the story itself could be frustrating at times. And Snuff was pretty forgettable.

I'm getting ready to start The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Yeah, there were quite a few parts in the book where I was thinking that he was just putting on airs and not writing believably. For example, the brown recluse bit. Jesus Christ that made me gag. And the idea that...you know what, not getting into it. That part was just beyond the pale.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    So I read The Circle. Not sure but I think I'm just outside the group who uses the Internet in such a way that this made sense. The gradual escalation of everything made it sound like a farce for most of the book. But then I saw this tweet and it lines up with where the book ended up saying social media would go. Sorta. Maybe minus the whole take over the gov't part.

This subtweet for example:

is full-on Mae and her "These people didn't vote for me. Why do they want me dead?" line of thinking.

And I totally get that the thread is mostly sarcasm but there's truth in the sarcasm and that's what sucks about twitter. Really more than twitter at this point, with so many people saying you're the worst ever if you x instead of y. This is almost fascinating and I'd love to read some articles about it but I also want to not waste the time reading something that would probably make me upset anyway. huh.