Thread: What are you reading?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I like it. It's trippy and creepy.
    Cool, I'd be interested to hear what you think of it when you finish it. I read it more than a decade ago and really loved it at the time. The older I get, the more I feel like the rest of Danielewski's work is not so great, but when I think back on House of Leaves, I still find the concepts and the whole approach to be pretty exciting. I've been thinking I might re-read it at some point, just to see if it still holds up.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Cool, I'd be interested to hear what you think of it when you finish it. I read it more than a decade ago and really loved it at the time. The older I get, the more I feel like the rest of Danielewski's work is not so great, but when I think back on House of Leaves, I still find the concepts and the whole approach to be pretty exciting. I've been thinking I might re-read it at some point, just to see if it still holds up.
    Yeah, I've tried to read two other books of his and they just don't grab my attention. Only Revolutions feels like a rambling mess no matter how you read it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Ditto. I tried OR and couldn't get into it at all and that bull about a 27-volume story is just too much. Though I did read The Fifty Year Sword and it was OK. I blame this book for my reading S. as well.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Ditto. I tried OR and couldn't get into it at all and that bull about a 27-volume story is just too much. Though I did read The Fifty Year Sword and it was OK. I blame this book for my reading S. as well.
    Oh yeah, that 27 volume thing is deranged. I still can't believe it's real. And it's not like they're little novellas. Each volume is 880 pages. So the final product will be a book series that's 23,000 pages long? Does he honestly think anyone's gonna want to read all of that? Even Proust's In Search of Lost Time is only 3000 pages, and that's already offputting enough to most people, regardless of how great that book is supposed to be. Who's gonna wanna read 23,000 PAGES?! I'll bet that in the entire world, there'll be maybe 600 die hard fans who, driven by the sheer power of their Danielewski devotion, manage to successfully trudge through it all. Everyone else will be running for the hills.

I've never heard of that S. book, but wow, it sounds like a blatant rippoff of HOL.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    It took me three tries to read it. I just got to this weird spot where I couldn't give a crap about the "main" characters because they were fake people. I've never had that happen before and it was really weird. My last try I just powered through it because it was the only book that I had ever given up on and I was not going to have that be the only book on my Goodreads as abandoned.