Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1208

Thread: What are you reading?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    re-reading The Shining... anyone got any recommendations for horror or sci fi that deals with cabin fever?
    There's so much more S. King stuff that deals with being locked in a narrow space... Misery, Cujo, Gerald's Game to name a few

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    There's so much more S. King stuff that deals with being locked in a narrow space... Misery, Cujo, Gerald's Game to name a few
    I guess it's just that once I've gotten through this I don't think I'm going to be in the mood for more King, and I've already read all of those. Has anyone read the novel "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" I'd be interested in reading that actually if it's any good.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    finished The Secret Chapter (book 6 in the Invisible Library series)

will be starting A Gathering Of Shadows (book 2 in the Shades Of Magic series)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

This is a really fun and quick read and the whole series is going to be released for free this week because of the full-length novel being released. Each day a new book will be released so have at it.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm about to start reading Whatever Happened to Baby Jane... I'm diving into isolation horror. I guess I'll find out if it's any good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There was a 2 for 1 deal on comics / manga at Indigo and I had a spare gift card from Christmas so fuck yeah. Decided to catch up on some manga series.

Been reading:
    Attack on Titan Before the Fall: 11-17
    Demon Slayer: 4-11
    Dorohedoro: 1 and 2

Also reading the book One Year After and been gradually rereading Attack on Titan (on book 6 atm.)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Back into the groove...

Started: "Radicalized" by Cory Doctorow

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished: "Radicalized" by Cory Doctorow ... Whew, it's only fiction. *looks outside* Oh. Right.

Starting: "Decision at Thunder Rift" by William H. Keith, Jr. (1992 reprint). As you may know I quite like the space opera universe that Battletech has created for itself and as I'm still quite happy with the PC game, I figured I'd try collecting the novels as well. This is the first one.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    yeah, he's got some ideas. check out Information Doesn't Want to Be Free next.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    yeah, he's got some ideas. check out Information Doesn't Want to Be Free next.
    Yeah, I'm familiar enough with the subject already, I'm good (long time Doctorow reader and generally agree with his takes... along with Bruce Sterling).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ascendance of a Bookworm Part 2 Vol 1. Fucking adore this series, it's just so charming.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Re-Reading “The Minds of Billy Milligan” by Daniel Keyes.

The true story of a guy with at least 24 distinct personalities, including one who spoke fluent German, one who spoke fluent Serbian, a lesbian woman, a young child, a teenaged English boy, etc. He was put on trial for several sexual assaults but was found not guilty due to his multiple personalities.

I’d just stumbled across an article stating he’d died of cancer in 2014.

This is an actual case, vs. “Sybil” which turned out to be fictional.

https://www.learning-mind.com/case-of-billy-milligan/

Leonardo DiCaprio was involved in the movie version, called “The Crowded Room,” playing Milligan, but it stalled in 2016.

Milligan was the inspiration for the movie “Split.” Although, this is a pretty bad characterization because I guess they make him out to be a demon, rather than what is now known as "DID" or dissociative identity disorder.

Also reading “A Warning” by Anonymous
    Last edited by allegro; 04-30-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished: "Decision at Thunder Rift" by William H. Keith, Jr. (1992 reprint). Well, I enjoyed it and it inspired me to set up a few single player skirmishes in the PC game (sure, take down a Marauder with a Shadow Hawk and Locust... it'll be fine).

Starting: "Beau Brummell -- The Ultimate Man of Style" by Ian Kelly, I'm waiting for more sequential Battletech novels to arrive and then I'll dive back into them...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Stopped: "Beau Brummell -- The Ultimate Man of Style" by Ian Kelly; it turns out I just don't care enough about the subject and the writing style wasn't connecting with me. So at 61pages, I'm tapping out...

Starting: "I Was A Teenage Katima-Victim! -- A Canadian Odyssey" by Will Ferguson ... I've started this book previously but wasn't dedicating the time for reading like I am now, so I'll start this one again.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 05-11-2020 at 07:05 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished: "I Was A Teenage Katima-Victim! -- A Canadian Odyssey" by Will Ferguson ... it's funny and captivating. Like most of his works. I'm glad I finally devoted the time to get into it properly.

Starting: "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" by Douglas Adams (2011 Folio Society edition), this replaces my OG version and continues the Folio Society collected editions I'm going for... my beloved picked up this one as an anniversary present.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished: "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" by Douglas Adams (2011 Folio Society edition)... yup, still made me a laugh a lot.

Starting: “Life, the Universe and Everything” by Douglas Adams (2014 Folio Society edition), the only one of the five books I didn't already have in HC.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished: “Life, the Universe and Everything” by Douglas Adams (2014 Folio Society edition) -- quite good and I the vague recollection that this was the first one of Adams books I had read, checking it out from the public school library in grade 7. In a lot of ways it was an awakenings book for me...

Starting: "Mercenary's Star" by William H. Keith, Jr.; some more of the Battletech novels I was waiting for showed up today, so now I can binge on the last two of those in "The Saga of the Gray Death Legion" trilogy. Yay.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 05-26-2020 at 12:08 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Not going to do the other two books in the trilogy?

I mean I understand not doing the Eoin Colfer book. That was a one and done book for sure.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Not going to do the other two books in the trilogy?
    When I collect the other two Folio Society editions, then I'll read them... but first my partner needs to order them (she's been buying them for me as presents, but we've accelerated the timeline on that because COVID times, just to be safe... but it's not the sort of thing we can really buy all at once, they cost "real money").

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    man that's a great book. I also know there's no fucking way i could read it right now, it's just too intense.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Shaun Atwood is giving away free kindle versions of his books, one a week, for the covid thing.

He an Englishman who writes about things like the CIA and the drug war, Pablo Escobar, and, my favorite, a trilogy about how he built a massive mdma and rave party operation in Arizona in the 90s, his time in Sherrif Joe's infamous county jail hell hole in Phoenix, and his time in federal prison.

Certainly not high literature, but they're fun to read, especially if you went to raves in the 90s, have ever been locked up, or are interested in drug criminal policy and misconduct, like the cocaine Contra affair.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    man that's a great book. I also know there's no fucking way i could read it right now, it's just too intense.
    I'm just an intense kind of guy (actually Amazon had it on sale)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished: "Mercenary's Star" by William H. Keith, Jr.; yeah, I liked it. Not much more to say really. If you like BattleTech novels, you'll probably like this one but I would recommend reading "Decision At Thunder Rift" first. (and with that done, if I'm counting correctly, that's 33 books started and finished since last June... I'm okay with that)

Starting: "The Price Of Glory" by William H. Keith, Jr.; well... I need to finish the trilogy, don't I?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished: "The Price Of Glory" by William H. Keith, Jr.; it's my favourite of the trilogy. Maybe it's because the characters have grown or the story is more interesting but either way, my favourite so far.

Starting: "Wolves On The Border" by Robert Charrette

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished: "Wolves On The Border" by Robert Charrette; quite the page turner I found and also enjoyed it.

Starting: “Warrior: En Garde” by Michael A. Stackpole.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I know this is a reading thread but it's an audiobook:

if you haven't read the book The Elementals by Michael McDowell then you should check this one out. It's $2.95 for today only and it's a really good read. It's gothic horror but with a twist of being in the sunniest place: the Gulf Coast of Alabama. I don't think I've seen a horror story set in a place where you can see everything so it was a change for sure.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished: “Warrior: En Garde” by Michael A. Stackpole; took a bit to get into it but there are a lot of moving parts. Looking forward to volume 2. I also liked how there was a reference to the Saga of the Gray Death Legion in it... and how the cover art actually showed a scene from the book.

Starting: “Warrior: Riposte” by Michael A. Stackpole.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 06-24-2020 at 06:00 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished: “Warrior: Reposte” by Michael A. Stackpole — I liked it. References both an earlier BattleTech novel (Wolves on the Border; it was interesting to see the scene from a different perspective and if the reader didn't read Wolves, then it may come off as less than it is) and Buckaroo Banzai. Cover showed a scene but the Centurion looks weird to my PC game eyes.

Starting: “Warrior: Coupé” by Michael A. Stackpole, may as well finish the series. And then, if all my other stuff has arrived, I can take a break from BattleTech novels and maybe read comics. Yeah, comics.