Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I read Wolf Hall a few years ago. I'm (impatiently) waiting for The Mirror and the Light to come out so I can finally see how the trilogy will end. (I already know what's going to happen; it's how those events unfold that matters.)

In the meantime, I absolutely loved The Goldfinch and moved onto:

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Curious as to whether that^^^is worthy of the hype or not.

Recently read:

and enjoyed it immensely

now embarking on:

these - and a reread of Camus' L'Etranger - are the first books I've read in nearly a year of audiobooking (graphic novels excluded); so me reading again is kind of a big deal for me; maybe it was getting a job that brought on a return to reading.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leo3375 View Post
    I read Wolf Hall a few years ago. I'm (impatiently) waiting for The Mirror and the Light to come out so I can finally see how the trilogy will end. (I already know what's going to happen; it's how those events unfold that matters.)
    Largely fictionalized, yet still fascinating. The third book is mostly going to focus on Jane Seymour, right?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Largely fictionalized, yet still fascinating. The third book is mostly going to focus on Jane Seymour, right?
    Jane Seymour and (most certainly) the Anne of Cleves debacle.

@aggroculture : The Martian was excellent! It's sci-fi, suspense, and action-adventure all in one. I would absolutely recommend it to someone who doesn't normally read sci-fi as well as sci-fi nerds.

Okay, I need to figure out my next book. I'm thinking either The Natural, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Great Expectations, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore or The Narrow Road to the Deep North.
    Last edited by leo3375; 03-07-2015 at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    So far, lays out a good picture of Germany during the 1930s but just now seeing how well he does to compare that to the stage set for Central America in the '70s and '80s.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i'm re-reading elie wielsel's 'night'.

takes two hours to read, takes days or weeks to shake off.

a devastating stunner.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm about to finish:

I just read:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leo3375 View Post
    That's the book Im reading right now

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The New York Times. I'm usually pretty tired after work, so pretty much all of my reading is dedicated to this paper.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I just got the Letters of Vincent van Gogh.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Dear friend,
    Please find enclosed one human ear (my own).
    Don't eat it all at once,
    Yours,
    V.

I'm reading:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I recently read Parasites Like Us which I liked in part due the the archeological bent to it as when I finally degree that's what it'll most likely be in. But just the story as well. Before and during that and still I've been reading Parasite Eve. Not much of a bio guy but still neat kind of drawn out. Not sure how the parasite thing became a thing but is okay I guess.

Also read one off kuntzs Frankenstein novels. Pretty decent fit coming in blind seemingly mid story.

I miss having reading time...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    I recently read Parasites Like Us which I liked in part due the the archeological bent to it as when I finally degree that's what it'll most likely be in. But just the story as well. Before and during that and still I've been reading Parasite Eve. Not much of a bio guy but still neat kind of drawn out. Not sure how the parasite thing became a thing but is okay I guess.

Also read one off kuntzs Frankenstein novels. Pretty decent fit coming in blind seemingly mid story.

I miss having reading time...
    i have Parasites Like Us and i've never gotten around to reading it. did you enjoy it?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i have Parasites Like Us and i've never gotten around to reading it. did you enjoy it?
    I'm not positive I finished it? I think I have a few pages left, but I've been stupid busy and can't find it atm. However yes, I really liked it. Something I'll read again.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Joseph Stalin..A Biography..by Robert Service.

This big one came out in 2004 and is widely regarded as the best, realised I knew very little about this man until recently.
    Without a sociopathic ruthless brutal dictator in charge would Soviet Union (who had donkeys and carts )survived the invasion from the Nazis (who had the effing Panzer division) Takes one Monster to know another.
    really interesting to see how through brutal force the country was transformed in a short space of time from irrelevant, feeble depressing, hopeless, pathetic backwater into colossal, mighty industrial, superpower (for a while).
    Many sides to the monster type situation with this man. He was devastating yet successful at the same time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I recently read:

I'm currently reading:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I recently acquired Lucius Shepard's The Golden. Three chapters in, I like it but for what it's worth I scarcely read. I bought it because it had a nice cover and because I was looking for a good vampire novel; I'm really only familiar with Bram Stoker's Dracula and Anne Rice.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I've enjoyed Ishiguro's work for years. I am very pleased with his latest as it does veer from his normal genre but refreshingly so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Given that I study books at Uni, I have basically no time during term to read for pleasure, so with summer break now upon me I've taken it upon myself to start these;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Annotated-Lo...eywords=Lolita

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Story-Alice-...story+of+alice

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Also reading "The Martian", really good. I hope they will keep a sense of humour in the movie.

And as for sci-fi, one of the best books ever for me was Ubik (and Philip K. Dick overall), last page was shocking.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i would never in a million years read any of the 50 shades books, but this article about the newest one is SLAYING me.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i would never in a million years read any of the 50 shades books, but this article about the newest one is SLAYING me.
    This is hilarious, thanks.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Pretty much all of my reading time is dedicated to The New York Times.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

I just finished this, having savored it and only allowing myself to read a few pages a week, an idea i got from @redshoewearer (thanks, btw.)

This book is a gift for a fanboy like me.
    I've read every Anne Rice book. I've stuck with her through thick (the first five) and thin..REALLY fucking thin in the case of Blood Canticle.

I realized in reading this that Anne had pulled a fast one on her readers-well, on ME anyway.

The Tale of the Body Thief was about a short, albeit interesting, episode in Lestat's life.
    Memnoch The Devil was all about God and Satan. Armand, Pandora, and Blood and Gold were basically "origin stories."
    Vitorrio didn't even know about the existence of any other vampires.
    Merrick was about, well, Merrick.
    Blackwood Farm and Blood Canticle (which was awful, btw,) were crossover stories between the vampires and the Mayfairs.

What i'm getting at is that the story begun with Interview, continued with The Vampire Lestat, and culminating in the INCREDIBLE Queen of the Damned, was never continued. And that book is 24 years old for fuck's sake!
    AND I NEVER EVEN NOTICED!

This book continues that story, FINALLY. Lestat is a major character again, FINALLY. Plus we get some Armand and his fledglings, some Marius and Pandora, some Jesse and David Talbot, and even a bit of Louis here and there. In fact, pretty much every character (other than Merrick and Vittorio) show up in this story. We are also introduced to new characters (new to the story..some of them are thousands of years old) who are immediately engrossing and intriguing.

Bottom line, Prince Lestat is a great read. It's so well written. I just can't say enough good things about it.
    But for those of us who stuck with the chronicles, Prince Lestat isn't just a great book. It's a fucking GIFT. It's a dream come true. I never thought that this would happen, but it did.

And you needn't have read all the books between QOTD and Prince Lestat.

Prince Lestat is Anne Rice vampire fanboy HEAVEN.

If you read all the Vampire Chronicles and didn't know about this one yet, RUN get it!
    If you only read the first 3 or 4 or 5, run get it.
    And if you are a young vampire nut and wish to get into something that is INFINITELY more romantic, evocative, interesting, complex, and downright fascinating than today's vampires, get on it! These books are SOOOOOOOO much better than twilight.

I heard she's writing more. I can't fucking wait.

I'm a fanboy, i know. I'll shut up

btw @fillow , i read Don Quixote, in spanish, when i was 18 for my spanish V class.
    That book was such a trip.

also, @eversonpoe and @Dra508 , have you guys read Flynn's other work?
    Dark Places was fucking stunning, and i just found out that a film adaptation will be released on 8/15/15.
    In reading Dark Places and Gone Girl, i couldn't shake this feeling that i had read something by Flynn before, and i finally realized that it was Sharp Objects, a book my exie turned me on to in 08 or so.

I considered all three of these books to be fucking STUNNING, and if you liked gone girl, i highly recommend the other two.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-23-2015 at 06:11 AM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    @elevenism . I have not read any other books by Flynn.

I don't know if I'm on a computer too much all day or ADD, but I have struggled to start, never mind finish a book this year.

I have been listening to a shit load of podcasts. Do we have a thread for those? Make I should breakdown and listen to books. :S

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    @elevenism. I have not read any other books by Flynn.

I don't know if I'm on a computer too much all day or ADD, but I have struggled to start, never mind finish a book this year.

I have been listening to a shit load of podcasts. Do we have a thread for those? Make I should breakdown and listen to books. :S
    oh well hell yes.

i listen to them quite often. there's this media organization/storage/playback program called Plex that SUPPOSEDLY to store all the media that you buy, but it's pretty obvious what it's really for. You can use it to collect, store, and play the audiobooks from your computer AND your tv (if you have a roku, apple tv, etc.)

There is also a program you can get that figures out where to put breaks in the audio since a lot of the audio books i find that are TOTALLY not from the pirate bay or anything like that are just raw for some reason-no breaks in the chapters.

My wife and i wanted to be able to experience books together (gag with spoon right, but it's true ) so we put a bunch of books on there alongside tv, movies and music.

of course if you have your computer in your room or even a nice cell phone, you don't have to go through all that.

The upside of audio books is that you can "read" them together or while doing other things.
    The downside is that i read a HELL of a lot faster than a book can be read to me, and i imagine you do too.

but yeah, now that i think about it, Dark Places was actually the first one we listened to together.

Ooooooh @Dra508 , it REALLY is bad ass-Dark Places i mean.
    The best way i can describe her style is like...razor-sharp.

As for me, i read in the bathtub.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    sorry for double post, but damn, no one ever posts here!

I am FINALLY reading House of Leaves, and it is utterly blowing my mind.

I also picked up a book from Wal Mart called Deep, and was VERY pleasantly surprised.
    It's a horror story by "Nick Cutter," which is a pseudonym, for whom i'm not sure...at first i thought it was Patterson because of the lengths of the chapters, but it's too good to be patterson.

It is actually somewhat frightening, utilizing a surprising amount of literary technique for something i just grabbed to kill time at the hospital and hotel. I read 200 pages last night. I actually care about the characters, the story is cool, there's some symbolism going on, and it packs the occasional shiver-and i don't scare easily when it comes to books and movies.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Read anything good lately?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i'm reading the second book in the Mapmaker's Trilogy (which just came out...not sure when the third is scheduled to arrive), "The Golden Specific"; the first book was called "The Glass Sentence"

now, i know what you're thinking: sounds a bit like the golden compass books. and at first, it is. our protagonist is a young girl who lives with her uncle, in a world similar to ours but also very different. but that's pretty much where the similarities end.

S.E. Grove, the author, does a marvelous job of painting this fractured world and all of the wondrous things in it, the characters are fascinating and well constructed, and the story itself is very unique, once you get into it a bit.