Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I've been reading an autobiography of Isadora Duncan- Despite her crazy life, it's inspiring reading about her passion for dance and her persistence, or dedication, to her art. It's been months though and I'm only halfway through the book. I've become a lazy reader lately. I started Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris and as interesting as his stories and story telling is, I'm just not interested enough to finish. I also picked up Nausea by Satre, but I literally only got ten pages through it before realizing I wanted to get my other books out of the way- Mainly Isadora Duncan's book.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I'm REALLY enjoying this book by news guy Dan Harris, especially since I was already into meditating. His stories about the dog-eat-dog world of TV news is fascinating. Writeup here. Coke + Ecstasy self-medicating due to high-pressure job and perfectionism lead to Dan's full-blown panic attack in front of over 5 million viewers, yadda yadda yadda ... Oh and Deepak Choprah is a dick, Ted Haggard is nice in real life, Peter Jennings was a ball-buster but really nice, Eckert Tolle is a nut job ...

Last edited by allegro; 04-30-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    For obvious reasons, I just read Gone Girl and although my expectations were pretty low (not my normal genre of reading material), I was pretty blown away with it. It's not the greatest literature I've ever read, but the story - oh my god - it has really stuck with me in a way that most books don't.

You know how you finish a book, and you contemplate it for an hour or so, check Reddit to see what they had to say about it, then go on with your life... I keep finding myself thinking about the storyline of Gone Girl. I'm still not sure what I make of the ending, and because I don't know if I love the conclusion, or if I hated it, it won't leave my brain alone. Not sure if that was what Gillian Flynn was going for or if it was accidental, but it rates pretty well IMO.

Definitely worth reading before the movie comes out.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    I started Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris and as interesting as his stories and story telling is, I'm just not interested enough to finish
    I had the exact same problem w/that book. I really enjoy listening to him tell a story but something about reading them is not as engaging. I've only ever had that problem w/Sedaris, odd.

Currently reading:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ad infinitum View Post
    I had the exact same problem w/that book. I really enjoy listening to him tell a story but something about reading them is not as engaging. I've only ever had that problem w/Sedaris, odd.

Currently reading:
    I need this book! I'm technically a vegetarian, but besides the milk and butter this book would apply to the rest of my diet.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm enjoying it so far. Amazon has a reasonably priced digital edition, or you can explore other means.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Just finished Ursula Le Guin's The Lathe of Heaven, now reading JG Ballard's Concrete Island. In a bit of a dystopian future kick

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Just finished Ursula Le Guin's The Lathe of Heaven, now reading JG Ballard's Concrete Island. In a bit of a dystopian future kick
    Shit yeah! I loved lathe.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The Dark Tower VII
    Finishing up the last book finally enjoyed the others so far.
    My mom just bought me the Book Thief, and is going to to send me The Orphan Masters Son when she gets back home. Also a kid at work gave me his copies of Game of Thrones on his last day. I should be set for a while with reading material. I am pretty excite.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    I need this book! I'm technically a vegetarian, but besides the milk and butter this book would apply to the rest of my diet.
    Apart from the occassional Quorn products I am pretty much a vegan at home. Milk was certainly the most difficult thing to substitute for my tea. It took a bit of experimenting but I got there eventually.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    T
    My mom just bought me the Book Thief
    In the top 5 books I've ever read. That one really did something to me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Since I plan on seeing the movie when it comes out, and I may as well see what all the fuss is about:

It's two intertwining stories. One is written in a more standard narrative format, and the other is in an epistolary style.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Way more messed up than I expected.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I might have to get that book.

Currently audiobooking:

(but on youtube haha!)

EDIT: This was OK, nothing special, and not in the league of Stapledon's The Last and First Men.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 05-21-2014 at 08:17 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Cosmos - Carl Sagan
    History of Mythology - Veronica Ions

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Yesterday I finished Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson. Holy shit I loved this book, not looking forward to the wait for the next book in The Stormlight Archive series. I believe it's supposed to be 10 books long, thankfully Sanderson pumps out books at a pretty good pace.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    The Dark Tower VII
    Finishing up the last book finally enjoyed the others so far.
    Ahhh, the Dark Tower...fucking PERFECTION. But just when you think it's the last book....
    There is a number 8 now...The Wind Through the Keyhole.

Since I plan on seeing the movie when it comes out, and I may as well see what all the fuss is about:

It's two intertwining stories. One is written in a more standard narrative format, and the other is in an epistolary style.
    finished it a few days ago. it was fucking SIIIIIIIIICCCKKKKKK!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just started this to have a break from my recent SF&F binge:

And listening to this on youtube, just for some fun:

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    The Timothy Zahn SW novels are all very good. Its a shame Disney has ruled the EU to be cannon now, oh well fuck em.

Anyways, I just finished Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas again, for the 6th or 7th time. It had been awhile, and I forgot about the ending being different than the film, and compleatly forgot about chapter 9 in part 2 of the book "Breakdown on Paradise Blvd". If you havent read the book (and this scene isnt in the film at all), its set up like a transcribed audio tape, where Gonzo and Duke stopped at a Taco stand and started asking the workers if they knew where the "American Dream" is. The cook seems to think its an old disco that used to be call the "Old Psychiatrist's Club" that has since been overrun by junkies and addicts. Anyways, when I was younger I dint really understand the underlying social commentary of this book, in regards to American culture and "the dream", and I think this final part of the chapter sums up the entire book...

"... almost two hours later Dr. Duke and his attorney finally located what was left of the "Old Psychiatrist's Club" -a huge slab of cracked, scorched concrete in a vacant lot full of tall weeds. The owner of a gas station across the road said the place had "burned down about three years ago."
    Im a huge HST fan
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 06-14-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I'm REALLY enjoying this book by news guy Dan Harris, especially since I was already into meditating. His stories about the dog-eat-dog world of TV news is fascinating. Writeup here. Coke + Ecstasy self-medicating due to high-pressure job and perfectionism lead to Dan's full-blown panic attack in front of over 5 million viewers, yadda yadda yadda ... Oh and Deepak Choprah is a dick, Ted Haggard is nice in real life, Peter Jennings was a ball-buster but really nice, Eckert Tolle is a nut job ...

really, REALLY enjoying this!! Thanks for the heads up!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Audiobooking this. It's pretty bad so far, but it's read by Sasha Grey herself, so it's sexy nonetheless.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Praying this will help me when dealing w/my nightmarish NPD family member.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by ad infinitum View Post

Praying this will help me when dealing w/my nightmarish NPD family member.
    Haha you have one of those too, eh? They're EVERYWHERE!!! Ugh.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-22-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Haha you have one of those too, eh? They're EVERYWHERE!!! Ugh.
    Yeah, & she is a nightmare of humanity to have to deal with. But she is family, which makes her a part of my life. Ugh, indeed.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    This is wildly entertaining. I don't know how much of it is true. I found myself thinking, 'That couldn't have happened for reals' until I thought about my own adventures on the road and in the desert which seem hard to believe even when they're coming out of my mouth. It doesn't matter in the end, of course. It's a hilarious, witty addition to the road-book canon.

Before that it was the audiobook of Insatiable by Asa Akira. I don't know if the book was good, but the audio book was awkward as hell. She narrated it. I feel like I was too distracted by that awkwardness to really say whether the book was good or not. Asa is a pretty fun person, but a terrible narrator.

Before that it was this book, which was fascinating, challenging, informative and surprisingly witty:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I just finished 'Mother Night' by Kurt Vonnegut, it might not be one of his most famous but it is a great read.

I'm currently trying to decipher 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra' by Nietzsche. I thought it would be great introduction to his works but it's very hard going and probably one for philosophy students only.

I'm also reading 'East of Eden' by Steinbeck and I love it! I've only previously read 'Of Mice and Men' by him but this is shaping up to be one hell of a story. I hope it continues on the same track.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    New books!

Also looking for some Neil Gaiman recommendations (I've read American Gods and the Graveyard Book).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Well I've read all but the most recent Game of Thrones, which i picked up yesterday. As it happens i also recovered the Orphan Masters Son in the mail today. I have indeed been reading my ass off as of late. Even crushed on a couple old books i had laying around as well.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Wanted to pick up a copy of Ringworld for vacation reading, but the used bookstore we went to didn't have it. Picked up this instead, a collection of short stories written before Ringworld. It's pretty good, and it's always fun to see what period sci-fi predicts vs what we do and don't have today. At least Niven goes several centuries ahead instead of just decades.