Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Massive Attack

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Forgot about this one. It's Massive Attack's BBC 6-Mix from 2012. Listen and/or download https://soundcloud.com/everybodywant...-6-mix-2012-11
    Very nice mix this one, 2hrs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Blue Lines Remaster is so awesome.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Last edited by fortheloveofgod; 12-12-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Battle Box sounds INCREDIBLE. I can't wait to hear more. The 3D and Guy Garvey tag team never disappoints.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Holy shit that's great.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Interesting interview with 3D by Crack Magazine http://crackmagazine.net/music/3d/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Massive Attack has become my favorite band over the past couple of months. I first checked out "Angel" and thought it was amazing. I even listened to it at least 15 times in one sitting. Then I checked out more songs from Mezzanine. My favorite now being Group Four. Now my reaction every time I hear them now is: Where have you been all my life?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburningreptile View Post
    Massive Attack has become my favorite band over the past couple of months. I first checked out "Angel" and thought it was amazing. I even listened to it at least 15 times in one sitting. Then I checked out more songs from Mezzanine. My favorite now being Group Four. Now my reaction every time I hear them now is: Where have you been all my life?!
    Usually Mezzanine is considered Massive Attack's best album. This album is indeed excellent.

My top would be: Mezzanine > Blue Lines > Protection > Heligoland > 100th Window

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Mezzanine is still my favorite Massive Attack album with Blue Lines a close second. I really love Protection as I think it's just a good night-driving album. Heligoland and 100th Window were all right as they have some moments.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    This project ("gilm") sounds amazing. I wish I could attend: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013...ester-festival

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just heard Paradise Circus. I never liked Heligoland, but this one really stood out to me. It's pretty.

100th Window also has a beautiful sound to it.

Is it wrong that I still have yet to like Blue Lines, though? I don't know, I feel like I should.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    3D is putting out a Massive Attack art book, and it comes with a special 7" with an unreleased track. i wonder if it'll be a Heligoland outtake :O

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    3D is putting out a Massive Attack art book, and it comes with a special 7" with an unreleased track. i wonder if it'll be a Heligoland outtake :O
    The article I read on this subject the other day was fairly confusing. Suggested two prices - £50 and £350. I'd imagine £350 is more likely. Much as it'd be extremely cool to own it's a lot of money for what is, essentially, a coffee table decoration.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    just found out about the massive attack v. adam curtis performance(s) in nyc, with horace andy and liz fraser (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) in tow. i'm going on monday. (!!!!)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I want to hear those Heligoland outtakes with Mike Patton.
    Heligoland was good.
    100th Window is a masterpiece.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    "100th Window" is great (Small Time Shot Away, Antistar, Futureproof)
    my second favorite album from them right after "Mezzanine"
    i was a little disappointed with Heligoland to be honest... maybe it was the lack of 3D vocals compared to previous releases

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Both 100th Window and Heligoland grew on me big time. Love both records, especially 100th Window. Special Cases particularly pushes my buttons.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    i think them losing Mushroom after Mezzanine affected their sound dramatically he was the guy who wanted them to stick to their hip hop soul roots. And he was responsible for most of the beats, 3D was more experimental and would bring in post punk elements but Mushroom sort of managed to reign it all back in and condense their sound. 100th Window is really good in places,loved the glacial cold vibe of it, but something was missing and Heligoland just sent me to sleep. Was amazed how boring it was. I did like their recent collab with Burial though, be good if they worked with more with him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tht thing with Heligoland is that whenever I listen to individual songs from the album, I like them, but somehow, when I listen to the album from beginning to end, I sometimes find it quite boring. I haven't actually listened to 100th Window though so I can't really comment on that...

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Battle Box 002! http://www.factmag.com/2013/10/17/ma...3d-on-jupiter/

Now that I'm getting a better idea for what exactly Battle Box is, I really like it. Well, more than I already did. Hopefully I can attend some kind of exhibition/performance while the project's alive and well.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staleincense View Post
    Tht thing with Heligoland is that whenever I listen to individual songs from the album, I like them, but somehow, when I listen to the album from beginning to end, I sometimes find it quite boring. I haven't actually listened to 100th Window though so I can't really comment on that...
    It has 3 or 4 amazing tunes in the vein of mezzanine, and then a load with sinead o'connor

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    sinead o'connor was once great. lion and the cobra ​is awesome.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    future proof, special cases and butterfly caught are worth buying the album for on their own. fantastic tunes! That reminds that I should listen to Massive Attack way more. Especially now that winter is coming.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    future proof, special cases and butterfly caught are worth buying the album for on their own. fantastic tunes! That reminds that I should listen to Massive Attack way more. Especially now that winter is coming.
    Agreed with this plus it contains my favorite MA song Antistar. Which is absolutely awesome. Highly recommend it.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Antistar... how could I forget? Yep! That's one of my faves aswell!

3D needs to do way more stuff. Can't get enough of this guy along with Lavelle and TR.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Heligoland came out about half a year after I first got into Massive Attack. Mezzanine was the portal that introduced me, and it was sort of a game changer for me hearing it for the first time, albeit so many years after it came out. 100th Window I am fond of, the earlier stuff not so much. Heligoland was something I was very excited about despite the stops and starts that plagued its birth, however ultimately it just bored me a little, I skip a lot of the CD. The album would have been better if it had been compiled of all the stuff they played live and scrapped, like Red Light and Hartcliffe Star and Dobro and whatnot. It just seems like there's so much material that they band have recorded with so many collaborators that's just been...forgotten about? They could have probably shat out an EP a year from the release of Heligoland up until now and if it consists of stuff like the material they scrapped for Heligoland it would have made for some amazing releases. In that respect, Massive Attack tend to disappoint me.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Does anyone know the story behind the lyrics of Silent Spring (I've read the book of the same name, but I don't think the lyrics and the book are related)? Or the background of the song (b-side for which song?) I tried to look up info on this song in a fan site (massiveattack.ie) but didn't find much.

I spent repeating this song so many times this weekend. It's just awesome. Final question: would you guys recommend the soundtrack for Danny the Dog? I haven't heard it and it may be my next purchase.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I don't like it. From what I recall it's too techno-y and upbeat to really qualify as a MA release in my mind. It doesn't really sound like MA to me.
    You can listen to it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...C2C4059864284A

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Does anyone know the story behind the lyrics of Silent Spring (I've read the book of the same name, but I don't think the lyrics and the book are related)? Or the background of the song (b-side for which song?) I tried to look up info on this song in a fan site (massiveattack.ie) but didn't find much.

I spent repeating this song so many times this weekend. It's just awesome. Final question: would you guys recommend the soundtrack for Danny the Dog? I haven't heard it and it may be my next purchase.

To answer your 2nd question, cause i'm still relatively new to Massive (even though they're my favorite) I would say yes. The songs i've heard are awesome. If it was here I would pick it up.

Just checked, don't know if you have it or not but Danny the Dog OST is on Spotify in full. Even though it's on there I would still like to collect it. Cause to me it would just fuel my liking for the band. Hope I've been of some help.
    Last edited by theburningreptile; 03-24-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: danny the dog is on spotify.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post

If I recall correctly, "Silent Spring" was an outtake from the Mezzanine era that was left unfinished over the years. It was eventually released on the "Collected" greatest hits compilation, on the second disc, which featured various b-sides and alternate versions of previously released songs, plus a handful new/unreleased material (i.e: Live With Me, False Flags, Silent Spring, Joy Luck Club, etc). I believe Liz Fraser's lyrics are basically just gibberish, similar to what she did on certain Cocteau Twins songs, so I'm not sure if there's a strong connection between the song and the Rachel Carson book, apart from the title itself of course.

As for Danny the Dog, I love a couple songs on there (specifically, the title track and the song called "Everything About You Is New") but the rest is kinda forgettable, in my opinion.