Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Massive Attack

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    What a monumental cock up from word go. That pink vinyl Mad Professor release looks cool, but as with everything MA related these days to me - underwhelming.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    What a monumental cock up from word go. That pink vinyl Mad Professor release looks cool, but as with everything MA related these days to me - underwhelming.
    I know, right? All they had to do was include the b-sides and maybe the original mix of Superpredators and tah-dah, a decent release. But Mad Professor remixes, especially a Mad Professor remix of an unreleased track, bleh.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    *breathes sigh of relief for deciding not to order*

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Just don't cancel/push back the September shows please. Don't care about the vinyl.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The only time these guys will see any more money from me is if they release a Heligoland box set with all the unreleased stuff from that era. Which they never will because they just seem to bungle every release these days and don’t really give two shits what the fans want.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Anyone catch one of the US shows? I'm going tonight.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zaps30 View Post
    Anyone catch one of the US shows? I'm going tonight.
    I went 2 weeks ago, i hope you didn't check the setlist beforehand as it was an interesting one to say the least, the mezzanine tracks still sounded great so that's what matters the most. Enjoy!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    tons and tons of covers in addition to the Mezzanine tracks. Not a fan of that idea overall, but some of the covers are cool ideas and sound good so im still looking forward to it. Would prefer that they fleshed out the show with some of their own non-Mezzanine material instead considering how rarely they even do shows.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    All they had to do was include the b-sides and maybe the original mix of Superpredators and tah-dah, a decent release. But Mad Professor remixes, especially a Mad Professor remix of an unreleased track, bleh.
    It still baffles me, that in High Fidelity - when the gang is talking about their top 5 first songs on albums - Cusack's character names Mad Professor's remix of Protection in the same breath as Smells Like Teen Spirit or Let's Get It On. Smells like a "ok what's hip nowadays"-choice on the movie's (or its writers) end.

Anyway, to be fair the B-Sides fromt that era don't have a thing on the album material. Even now that we got Wire in full length it's pretty clear why it was left off the album.

I'd like to get my hands on the unreleased Helgioland stuff though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    I went 2 weeks ago, i hope you didn't check the setlist beforehand as it was an interesting one to say the least, the mezzanine tracks still sounded great so that's what matters the most. Enjoy!
    I knew about the set from the European dates earlier in the year. I was more asking how it was because it seemed like some people liked it and others have been complaining about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    tons and tons of covers in addition to the Mezzanine tracks. Not a fan of that idea overall, but some of the covers are cool ideas and sound good so im still looking forward to it. Would prefer that they fleshed out the show with some of their own non-Mezzanine material instead considering how rarely they even do shows.
    Yea, some other MA songs would have been nice. I guess some of the covers were songs sampled in Mezzanine songs and others just stuff they were into at the time. So it all goes together in a way they intended, but I doubt obvious to anyone not looking into it really. It probably just comes across as random covers to the casual fan.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I didn't want to post too much before others got the chance to see the show. Also kinda forgot about the thread. Fucking ace show. The venue was completely unprepared though. Perhaps due to a lack of communication with the band/crew/mgmt etc. somewhat_ here had to move to a different location because space for the light/soundboard wasn't accounted for. I was seated in the pit, and was initially told that they didn't even have the seats set up yet. Then was finally placed in the center of the front row (I think I was supposed to be 2nd row). They were treating it like general admission, telling people to just find empty seats even though it was supposed to be reserved. That understandably caused some frustration.

As for the show - surreal. The Cure cover had me geeking out. Liz is a fucking goddess. Daddy G was only out there for like maybe 6 songs, what the fuck? I guess I'm naïve and clueless but is Massive Attack really just a Robert Del Naja thing now and not even really a group? I do realize this is the album that basically tore them apart.

Group Four closing out the night was epically intense. It was just strange how they abruptly left after that, with no acknowledgement. The house lights took a bit to come on, so it almost seemed like an encore might happen. This was a 13 year show in the making for me, after several failed attempts at seeing them live. So I was just on cloud nine the whole time but I've gotta say that Safe From Harm and Unfinished Sympathy would have been amazing to hear, because I seriously doubt I'll get the chance to see them again.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 09-22-2019 at 08:40 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I caught the twin cities show a couple weeks ago and it was great. Amazing to see all of them up there together, and really strong performances all around.

I did have some mixed feelings about the video screen playing throughout the concert. Sometimes it was pretty cool and added something to the show. In particular, I thought it was really effective when they were showing old footage from the 90s, given that this was a Mezzanine anniversary tour. It helped it all feel historical and retrospective, and it made me think about the time period when Mezzanine was released and how much things have changed since then. But still, I noticed that I was sometimes paying more attention to video screen than the band. Also, as the show went on, they veered way outside of the historical footage and were showing stuff about Trump, Putin, the opioid epidemic, etc. I found that sort of distracting and didn't understand what it had to do with Mezzanine. They were also showing a lot of text that (I think) was meant to create a sort of narrative structure to the show, but I had trouble following it. At one point the screen said, "WHO KILLED JEFFREY EPSTEIN?" and I was like, lol what? Why are they doing this? What does that have to do with Mezzanine?

Still, it was a great show. Liz Fraiser in particular was phenomenal in every single song. Group Four was definitely intense. And I was so glad that they played the original version of Black Milk and not the "Black Melt" remix thing that they started doing about a decade ago. And Teardrop was simply breathtaking. I was so glad to be able to see them all up there playing together, because it really was a once in a lifetime experience. It's not even necessarily that they're the world's greatest live band. In some ways the primary appeal of Massive Attack lies in their studio productions, and it doesn't always translate to mindblowing live shows. But it still felt very momentous to me. Mezzanine was an important album to me when I was teenager, and given how rarely and minimally they play in the US, I just assumed I would never see them live. So to seem them all up there together and playing my favorite album, it was a pretty special night.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Which cure cover? 10:15 Saturday night?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    yes

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Ah well that kinda fits the theme then I guess, it's sampled in Black Milk I think, off the top of my head. Thanks

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Words can’t describe how stoked I am for tonight. Got a shirt, poster, and Art of Massive Attack book. I’m at the front behind one person. Anyone else at The Anthem tonight?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Most of the covers they played were songs that were sampled on Mezzanine, and they generally played the song right next to the song that sampled it. I already knew this going in from peaking at the setlist before going, but it was kind of different than I was expecting. From looking at the setlist, I assumed that the covers would be sort of "Massive Attick-ified" and reinterpreted in a way so that the just kind of blurred directly into the song that they were sampled from. So for example, doing a Mezzanine-esq cover of Velvet Underground's "I Found a Reason" that segued right into "Rising Son," which is the song that samples "I Found a Reason" and is played right after it in the setlist.

But they didn't do that. They played the covers in a way that was pretty consistent with their original versions, and there was no blending or anything. So I think most people had no idea how the covers were significant to Mezzanine and were probably a bit baffled by their inclusion in the show.

I enjoyed most of the covers ("Bela Lugosi's Dead" was especially great), but yeah, it was a bit of an odd creative choice for the setlist.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Anyone know the release date?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Anyone know the release date?
    Hasn't been announced yet, though it's probably I don't know...within 1-2 months at most?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    So it's gonna be ready in 1-2 years?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well at least they are cooking something. Unlike that other Bristol trip-hop band.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Considering it's just a EP I guess will be out tomorrow or in a max of two weeks, not more than that.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Massive Attack & Saul Williams.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Looks like they're dropping the whole thing?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I see they finally turned their live background screen text messages into songs

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Considering it's Massive Attack we're talking about, it may never come out.

I'm not holding my breath.
    I know that but guess I was right this time

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I don't have very high hopes for this, but I like what's going on in the Young Fathers one behind everything, will be nice to hear that without the video spiel over the top. The Algiers one meh...

Then I'll wait another 6 or 7 years for the next EP.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Guys, banksy is super busy with other things so I get why these LPs never pan out.

Yes, I am on the crazy conspiracy train theory that believes that 3D is really banksy.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    This EP isn't too hot, digging it but it's sorta meh for me.