Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Negative enounters with Nine Inch Nails fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm in with the nin crowd.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paper Street View Post
    revelevent
    Saying this the way you spelled it makes me laugh.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Off-Topic (or on-topic, as this is the exact opposite of a negative experience of another Nine Inch Nails fan):

I refuse to believe it's some sort of really, really odd coincidence that your custom title is Euler's Number, @redshoewearer. That's awesome.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Off-Topic (or on-topic, as this is the exact opposite of a negative experience of another Nine Inch Nails fan):

I refuse to believe it's some sort of really, really odd coincidence that your custom title is Euler's Number, @redshoewearer. That's awesome.
    I think it is on topic - we all are talking experiences with other NIN fans. Yes it is not a coincidence. I'm working on an M.S. in math on the side and I ponder on (e^(i*pi))+1=0 at least once a day....

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, @Wretchedest was at that show, on the rail at least near the end of the show (because I recall he caught some significant piece of NIN gear, possibly a guitar). Maybe he can shed some light on anything like that. lol

Hmmm unfortunately it seems time has played a game of telephone with my story and made it more awesome.

I actually never got to any of the spiral exclusive shows, but I did use the spiral line at an arena show in Fresno, of all places. I managed to score some swag from the rail at the end, but it was a guitar PICK and an autograph from Rob Sheridan on my ticket. Is this significant, well I like that stuff, but it wasn't a guitar! Ha! Your version of my life is definitely better though. An alternate reality Freddy absolutely cherishes that guitar.

Both awesome but not guitar level stuff. And the Fresno show went down rather peacefully. Some guy did continuously try to get me to crowd surf, but I think that he thought that I REALLY wanted to, when I REALY did not.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Hmmm unfortunately it seems time has played a game of telephone with my story and made it more awesome.

I actually never got to any of the spiral exclusive shows, but I did use the spiral line at an arena show in Fresno, of all places. I managed to score some swag from the rail at the end, but it was a guitar PICK and an autograph from Rob Sheridan on my ticket. Is this significant, well I like that stuff, but it wasn't a guitar! Ha! Your version of my life is definitely better though. An alternate reality Freddy absolutely cherishes that guitar.

Both awesome but not guitar level stuff. And the Fresno show went down rather peacefully. Some guy did continuously try to get me to crowd surf, but I think that he thought that I REALLY wanted to, when I REALY did not.
    dude, your new subtitle is so perfect...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

You must not have ever had lots of curly dirty blonde hair then...

lol My mind is failing me, struggling to come up with answers.

I rememer clearly seeing what I think was an official post-show (or during HLAH) video of the people on the rail at Cabazon and there...you were, flailing your prized item. Somebody help me.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    Though people saying "nin" never annoyed me, I do remember being really surprised years back when Trent said "nin dot com" in a video. I think at the time it never even occurred to me to say it as a word.
    Atticus called it "nails" in a recent Spin article http://www.spin.com/featured/trent-r...eptember-2013/

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redshoewearer View Post
    I'm working on an M.S. in math on the side and I ponder on (e^(i*pi))+1=0 at least once a day....
    My most negative fan experience was with @redshoewearer when this post of theirs made me feel dumb as rocks.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    You must not have ever had lots of curly dirty blonde hair then...

I specifically have lots of curly dirty blonde hair!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I specifically have lots of curly dirty blonde hair!
    Okay. I got that right.

And you looked like a mess in a damn official NIN video, on the rail. Without a guitar. Fact.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Okay. I got that right.

And you looked like a mess in a damn official NIN video, on the rail. Without a guitar. Fact.
    Which one? Link?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Atticus called it "nails" in a recent Spin article http://www.spin.com/featured/trent-r...eptember-2013/
    i know. i cringed so hard my collarbone literally popped. (i am not joking)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Which one? Link?
    I don't have it...but we'll find it. Had to be 2005 or 2006, thinking 2006.

Where's the archive? I gotta go to sleep.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I can't think of any negative real-life encounters, but there are a few assholes in here. I spot none in this thread that I've had gripes with, but something that still makes me grind my teeth is how everyone started using the word "disappointed" once the song of the same name had debuted:

"why did teh audience not film this?!?!?!?!?! you know im... DISAPPOINTED!"

"i hope teh album isnt gonna sound like CBH. id be... DISAPPOINTED!"

"man reading treated TR like SHIT. i guess hes... DISAPPOINTED!"

Yes, we get it. You made teh funny. Now shut the fuck up and have your mom change your diaper.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Yes, we get it. You made teh funny. Now shut the fuck up and have your mom change your diaper.
    Oooooh... BURN !

...like "burn"... The song....

no ?

Guess you're not a true fan. Brahs always bump fists when I do this, then we make explosion sounds and pretend we're playing guitar. T'sawesome.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Wow, this thread is still alive.

Seriously folks. I love NIN. I have crippling depression and NIN helped me through some rough times. I'm not gonna go all stereotypical and say they saved my life. But they gave me a lot to relate to for many years, and they still do. There are few people on the planet who like NIN more than I do. I'm a big fan.

But I'm also nearly 30. I suppose playing air guitar and head banging in a parking lot seems a tad silly to me. But I'm not making excuses. If you think I'm an asshole, hey, I guess it is what it is. Either rationally discuss art with me, or fuck off. Don't act like a child.

Tacos are delicious.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Too many by this point. Too many by far.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Melbourne Australia Metro Show #1 (2007?)

Meth'd up shirtless dude who looked like Nick Oliveri choking out a kid on the barrier, while yelling "gimme the rail!".

Scary. Fucking. Shit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    There is a certain person in my history who was once a huge NIN fan, too. At the time of our divorce, suddenly he couldn't stand them anymore. Now, he has to make digs at any new song that I like. I suppose if he had a better reasoning than "there are no live drums" I would be okay - but most of his favorite bands never even used live drums, ever. It's like liking them would somehow validate his past with me, or something...

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    I'll tell you about a negative encounter. When i went to LITS, and 10,000 fratboys and girls filed in, took their seats, remained seated and applauded politely.
    Now when i was 14 and going to the TDS shows, an NIN crowd was fucking DANGEROUS. You could feel the anger, the intensity, the apprehension in the air. The audience was a sea of black clothes and metal jewelry and hormones.

I guess it doesn't HAVE to be a negative thing, it just kinda made me sad. And maybe it's just that those of us who were 13 or 14 when tds came out are finally REALLY growing up.

sorry for joining in clowning on you, @Joshua Lami, but it was just too damn funny.

P.S.

I call it Nails quite a bit. Ive been listening to "Nails" for 21 fucking years, and my first and most recent shows span that length of time. Im PRETTY sure im a "real fan."
    Just out of curiosity, what do REAL fans say when they dont wanna say Nine Inch Nails (the entire phrase, over and over) in a long discussion about Nine Inch Nails? ; )
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-29-2013 at 05:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    On my first NIN concert there were 2 annoying girls that tried to kinda push me out of the first row before the concert began, which they failed at. Other than that I had no negative encounter irl.

But I've 'met' quite a bunch of creeps and annoying NIN fans online, assuming that you are a NIN fan when you register on forums. I got lots of creepy pms (not here.....yet), usually from people that don't post anything.

Also everytime Mr. Reznor releases something it seems to me that some people divide into 2 groups:

group 1 idealizes NIN a bit too much and loves every stone TR ever stepped on, they also often use phrases like "fuck the haters" and "get a life"... (I have a personal problem with both phrases)
    group 2 misses the "good old days" and dislikes everything that is not TF or TDS, the most insane say things like "TR was better when he was on drugs/unhappy/unmarried/had no oscar now he sucks" we've all seen them ^^

I'm neither of these, I can't be black or white and I try to stay away as much as possible from certain places in times like these, because its impossible to discuss things with both of these types, they take everything way too serious.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I'll tell you about a negative encounter. When i went to LITS, and 10,000 fratboys and girls filed in, took their seats, remained seated and applauded politely.

P.S.

I call it Nails quite a bit. Ive been listening to "Nails" for 21 fucking years, and my first and most recent shows span that length of time. Im PRETTY sure im a "real fan."
    Just out of curiosity, what do REAL fans say when they dont wanna say Nine Inch Nails (the entire phrase, over and over) in a long discussion about Nine Inch Nails? ; )
    1. that sounds weird in terms of atmosphere, but also kind of nice in terms of being able to really watch/listen. i'd rather have them applauding politely than being drunk assholes and ruining my experience of the show...but i'm also someone who has been sitting down at concerts since i was 19, because i'd rather be able to hear the music and not get kicked in the face.

2. like in a conversation wherein you're referring to a person repeatedly and you would switch to a pronoun (him, her, etc.), i generally switch to "the band" as i've already established which band is being discussed. :: shrug ::

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    1. True, you have a point.

2. I was pretty much fucking around on that one. But i do call them 'nails quite a bit.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMeowMeow View Post
    group 2 misses the "good old days" and dislikes everything that is not TF or TDS, the most insane say things like "TR was better when he was on drugs/unhappy/unmarried/had no oscar now he sucks" we've all seen them ^^
    Now THAT shit drives me crazy too. people who say "i want trent to look like he's about to fall over and die! he kicked ass then!"
    Such a vile thing to say about a human being...especially a musician you enjoy. you WANT him to be sick and unhappy?

I'm afraid i lean towards group one a tiny bit, but have never used those phrases. I AM a fanboy, though. I didn't like ghosts a WHOLE lot...that should count for something.
    But yeah, i'd probably get excited about a recording of trent tapping a pencil on his desk, i must admit. ; )

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Is this still a fucking thread?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I had no clue saying Nails pissed people off... I've been a hard core fan since The Downward Spiral and use it all the time. People being pissed off about it isn't really going to help me break the habit but it has been noted. I guess I've never really thought about it being a "thing of annoyance" before. Looks like I have a good conversation topic while waiting in the will call line now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlymad View Post
    There is a certain person in my history who was once a huge NIN fan, too. At the time of our divorce, suddenly he couldn't stand them anymore. Now, he has to make digs at any new song that I like. I suppose if he had a better reasoning than "there are no live drums" I would be okay - but most of his favorite bands never even used live drums, ever. It's like liking them would somehow validate his past with me, or something...
    My husband won't even give NIN a chance because my ex and I listened to NIN together and my oldest daughter was conceived the night of a concert. I know he would really like it. He just associates NIN with my past I guess. Too bad, because NIN is my present as well. Even though we have been together 5 years and have gone on to have two more kids together. I'm dragging him to see NIN on Halloween, it will be his first experience. I'm hoping to make some progress!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    But who was taco?
    Taco Ockerse (born July 21, 1955), better known by his stage name Taco, is an Indonesian-born Dutch singerand entertainer who started his career in Germany.

anyway, some "fun" line experiences over the years.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Negative enounters with Nine Inch Nails fans.

Thanks guys!