Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Negative enounters with Nine Inch Nails fans.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I've only had good experiences with NIN fans, at shows and just out on the street.

A few years ago I went to Pride wearing a NIN t-shirt from the LITS tour and a few people came up to me to say hello and talk about how amazing that tour was.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    See, that's the real reason that guy was an asshole. No true fan calls the band "nails".

/sarcasim
    I agree. That always rubbed me the wrong way.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Face to face? Never.

On the internet? Ummm, once or twice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    At a show some guy told me how awesome ghosts was (I was wearing the shirt, just purchased it). He was talking during the show and during a song from that record. It was pretty annoying, because I was trying to listen. That's my only story.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    At one of the shows I was at on the fragility tour I had some cheap seats and ended up next to some girls who sat there most of the show until they started screaming when Closer played. I'm not sure they qualify as NIN fans though so I guess only on the Internet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You would think tickets being $100+ would discourage any casual listeners or non-fans, but there always seem to be plenty of wasted frat boys who are just there to drink, yell, and push too much.
    Last edited by ethan829; 08-29-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    See, that's the real reason that guy was an asshole. No true fan calls the band "nails".

/sarcasim
    i was actually 100% going to post in the controversial opinions thread today that i DESPISE IT when people just say "nails" instead of nine inch nails. i also don't like it when people say "NIN" as a word.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i also don't like it when people say "NIN" as a word.
    It's better than people who say it EHN EYE EHN

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    in the interest of salvaging this thing...

all my encounters have been at shows. At lights in the sky there was the trademark guy who yells during every quieter song. Really upsetting because they played one of my favorite Ghosts tracks.... he particularly obnoxious because he kept chest poking everyone around them and getting in there face. he eventually got arrested AFTER the show for harassing people. Still, the experience colors my memories of my stint at lights in the sky, unfortunately.

Also, at the Wave Goodbye show in LA, they played the downward spiral front to back, but there was this girl next to me singing SO BADLY and swinging around and bumping into people. When she didn't know the lyrics she just screamed over the damn thing. and she did this after I asked her nicely to stop, or at least to keep it down. Ultimately that didn't ruin the experience because we tried to find another spot in the crowd and it was the whole goddamn downward spiral... i was too stoked.

i was actually 100% going to post in the controversial opinions thread today that i DESPISE IT when people just say "nails" instead of nine inch nails. i also don't like it when people say "NIN" as a word.
    Unfortunately, I am both of these people.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    At the Spiral Members Only show at Cabazone or whatever the fuck it was, in California, in this fairly small Key Club, these two frat bros in front of us looked at each other and said (just as NIN was about to hit the stage) "Okay, as soon as Trent gets on stage, we go up there and beat the fuck out of people."

Um, yeah. Great. I think I have a manicure appointment I forgot.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    At the Spiral Members Only show at Cabazone or whatever the fuck it was, in California, in this fairly small Key Club, these two frat bros in front of us looked at each other and said (just as NIN was about to hit the stage) "Okay, as soon as Trent gets on stage, we go up there and beat the fuck out of people."

If I'm not mistaken, @Wretchedest was at that show, on the rail at least near the end of the show (because I recall he caught some significant piece of NIN gear, possibly a guitar). Maybe he can shed some light on anything like that. lol

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan829 View Post
    You would think tickets being $100+ would keep discourage any casual listeners or non-fans, but there always seem to be plenty of wasted frat boys who are just there to drink, yell, and push too much.
    bros wanna march like pigs too, dude

for the record, I say "nin" all the time and refer to my fellow nin fans as "ninnies," cause why not

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, @Wretchedest was at that show, on the rail at least near the end of the show (because I recall he caught some significant piece of NIN gear, possibly a guitar). Maybe he can shed some light on anything like that. lol
    haha, at the show in Chicago in Tinley Park (the Peter Murphy and canceled Q101 show), there were a couple of big douche bags in front with us, and eventually a bunch of us got really tired of them trying to shove their way into the front of us when they got there so late, so we all kind of formed this posse and joined arms and revolted against them. That was more fun than the show, actually. We bonded.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Cool thread.
    I grew up in the midwest and I actually saw quite a few nin fans around, anytime I would see a nin shirt I would make a clear "fuck yea Nine Inch Nails" statement, sometimes rather obnoxious in public, And never once have I met a truly negative NIN fan.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    You didn't want that delicious taco anymore. That's what I find wrong with this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In 2005, I paid $600 for two tickets to The Tabernacle in Atlanta, GA and drive 8 hours from Florida. During the third song in the setlist, two stupid drunk girls started grinding on me and got a lollipop stuck in my hair. I was fucking livid! It was my first time seeing NIN, too. My second experience was much better though and my third time is coming up Halloween.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post

That reminds me of the time I saw Nine Inch Nails in St. Louis during the Lights in the Sky tour there were these really hoosier looking dudes in front of me that were really into the show but showed their support by flipping their middle finger up in the air. Their arms blocked me very now and then....but I was more confused at what they were flipping off and why.

Guess it was a "OH YEAH BRO, FUCK THE WORLD. 'TERRIBLE LIE' MAN! '24 GHOSTS IV DUDE!"

....not really an encounter so to say, but a really strange observation.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    This one time at band camp, I saw a guy with with a NIN shirt on. I said " You like NIN". He punched me me in the face and called me cunt.
    I was hurt.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I see the issue here.

Taco Bell for lunch, at work. You shouldn't be drinking on the job man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So I was at work and this guy pulls up to the window blasting Hesitation Marks. I had to confirm due to sheer incredulity of meeting on of us pigs in the wild. Anyways, I get on here and see a thread has been made about me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I see the issue here.

Taco Bell for lunch, at work. You shouldn't be drinking on the job man.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Taco Bell should have a breathalyzer/drug test. If you're sober you shouldn't be able to order.

I think I made a new jingle with "If you not soba!... You can't ordaa!!!"

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    I do a lot of annoying things in writing where the internet is concerned. I never leave album titles as acronyms; I don't use netspeak even when it'd be way more appropriate; I post walls of text that, on mobile devices, look like you're trying to read the bloody matrix. But those are just quirks people here have gotten used to or will have to get used to. Hell, I once returned a cell phone because it didn't have a typeable semicolon; I work in food service and, when I send messages to the kitchen, I use commas and apostrophes. I'm rather compulsive (but not terribly concerned that others aren't all doing the exact same thing). Only recently have I cracked and given into the occasional abbreviation of Echoing the Sound as "ETS," and Nine Inch Nails as "NIN." But a coworker said "NIN" the other day and I almost shat myself. I thought it was just another odd eccentricity of mine that I hated that. But apparently there are more of us.

[sniffle]

So, this ​is what it feels like when doves cry...

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    It's better than people who say it EHN EYE EHN

Who in the bright blue fucking world does thatEarnestly‽ I think I'd have to take a Xanax. That's as bad as when frat boys point at my sleeves and say, "Bitchin' tats, bra. Show me some love!" and then after a very reluctant fistbump, they do that "make it explode" thing.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Who in the bright blue fucking world does thatEarnestly‽ I think I'd have to take a Xanax. That's as bad as when frat boys point at my sleeves and say, "Bitchin' tats, bra. Show me some love!" and then after a very reluctant fistbump, they do that "make it explode" thing.
    A guy who works for me. I almost fired him for it. The fact that he built his own synth gave him a pass though.

Also, I frequently say "nin"

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Joshua Lami don't leave so soon. It will all be okay.

I can't say I have had any negative encounters - I enjoy NIN fans more than those of any other band that I like. I have met a few people on here, and I find people here to be smarter and nicer than people on other boards.

The person who mentioned seeing people in NIN shirts on the subway - here's my story - we didn't know which train to take in Toronto over to the Molson amphitheater in 06, and we got to the station with less than 5 minutes to spare, so we looked around (I was with my kid), and I told her follow THEM (all the other folks in black) and we ended up on the right train.

Edit - Yeah I say nin too.
    Last edited by redshoewearer; 08-28-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redshoewearer View Post
    Edit - Yeah I say nin too.
    Perhaps it should be mentioned that it's not like I think y'all are bad people or anything, it's just that I don't like hearing it. For example, some people I think cannot stand that I say "y'all," but I don't think it's like to the point where any of them want to sock me in the jaw or anything.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Though people saying "nin" never annoyed me, I do remember being really surprised years back when Trent said "nin dot com" in a video. I think at the time it never even occurred to me to say it as a word.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    every show i've ever been to has had several. if it's not the skanky groupies or the beer-spilling fat guy, it's the b.o. coming from all angles, but huge emphasis on the tripp pants-wearing dirty goth kids.

suck it up. happens with any demo.
    Last edited by kel; 08-28-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    NINININININININinininininin