Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Thread: The Netflix Thread

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Finished The I-Land. Nobody should watch this. It’s infuriatingly dumb. There’s nothing good about it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    I've found myself now wanting to watch history documentary series on Netflix. I noticed that a lot of Ken Burns stuff is up there, I'm watching one now called "The West" . only on the first episode. it's rather peaceful and relaxing. and of course, educational.
    “The Roosevelts” is my favorite!

“Prohibition” is, too.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    I've found myself now wanting to watch history documentary series on Netflix. I noticed that a lot of Ken Burns stuff is up there, I'm watching one now called "The West" . only on the first episode. it's rather peaceful and relaxing. and of course, educational.
    Hell yes; I have all that stuff on my plex

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    “The Roosevelts” is my favorite!

“Prohibition” is, too.
    awesome! I plan to watch all of them. haven't seen any.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I'm not ever a sports fan but his Baseball series is absolutely great.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Unbelievable was fantastic, I recommend it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Watched "Between Two Ferm: The Movie" ... it did exactly what I wanted it to do, made me laugh.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    Unbelievable was fantastic, I recommend it.
    I'm watching it now, and it's damn good, but I do have to say this:
    I feel like "trigger warning" is a phrase that maybe gets used a little too much, at times, but, GODDAMN.

I had tears in my eyes, watching the first episode. This is one of the tougher depictions of rape that I've ever seen, so make sure and heed the trigger warning for this one.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Watched "Between Two Ferm: The Movie" ... it did exactly what I wanted it to do, made me laugh.
    Man I was so disappointed in this, but the blooper reel at the end had me in tears. Worth it for that alone.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Man I was so disappointed in this, but the blooper reel at the end had me in tears. Worth it for that alone.
    same with me, man. Precisely the same.
    I loved the blooper reel. Movie, not so much.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Between Two Ferns was so fucking garbage... I expected nothing, and I was still disappointed. I saw a new BtF video in my youtube, I checked it out, and it promoted the movie at the end. Oh, it's out then? Well, I was about to eat anyway, so let's check it out. Oh boy... leave it to "Hollywood" to ruin even the brightest of ideas.

So here's the concept of Between Two Ferns: a camera, two people, an awkward situation. If you like deadpan humor with some slice of life, then it is amazing. So what do they do when they make a whole movie about it? Put as little Between Two Ferns in it as possible, and fill it up with B-grade bro humor.

First of all, no one cares about the story. No one ever wanted to know the origin story of Zach's character, or how does he get his guests. No one watches the Obama episode and feel something missing, because they don't know what Zach's character will do that night. It is absurd how much screentime that redundant shit got. It's like they were trying to parody similar movies where an unlikely group goes on an adventure and become friends, but it lacked everything: humor, chemistry, sense.

I sit down to watch BtF, and suddenly I am in the middle of the scene where the butt of the joke is that Zach said they have plenty of money, but it turns out he lied. Oh my god, hilarious DDDDDDD They were living the high life, and now they are broke and have to stay in a shitty place DDDDDDDD I am literally crying right now, and I can't wait for Rob Sneider and Adam Sandler to make a cameo, because only that could top this level of comedy.

As for the subplot of this movie, aka the actual interviews, they were okay, I guess, but many of them got cut way too short.

There were two non-interview segments (or one, if we are being technical) which were good:
    1. Peter Dinklage. I'm not a GoT watcher so I've never been exposed to him, but he was great! I loved his monologue to himself.
    2. The talk-show segment. The whole movie felt like they were trying to parody trends, but failed miserably, except here. This was very well done.

And the best part of the movie was the bloopers, which says all. I mean, how do you leave all this shit in your movie, but not include a joke when Zach asks Brie if she was the reason for her parents divorce? That is classic BtF...

All in all, wait for someone to make a supercut of all the interviews and bloopers and you saved yourself like 40 minutes. Or just skip all the shit manually; I started doing it after their car broke down. It's just not funny.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished up watching Fastest Car S2... I liked it.

What an ending!
    Last edited by MrLobster; 09-29-2019 at 08:40 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Sturgill Simpson's newest album, Sound & Fury, dropped last Friday, along with a Netflix anime film of the same name. Pretty good, both the album and the film. BTW, there's a post-credits sequence.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    Sturgill Simpson's newest album, Sound & Fury, dropped last Friday, along with a Netflix anime film of the same name. Pretty good, both the album and the film. BTW, there's a post-credits sequence.
    Watched this last night. Wow. I love the album but the visuals are a treat. So many threads (no pun intended) that I saw and that was just on the first go-through, can't wait to watch it again.

Not sure why it got the MA rating, but I'm not looking at it from a puritanical perspective.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Watched this last night. Wow. I love the album but the visuals are a treat. So many threads (no pun intended) that I saw and that was just on the first go-through, can't wait to watch it again.

Not sure why it got the MA rating, but I'm not looking at it from a puritanical perspective.
    Here's Sturgill talking about the formation of the film. This is just a small clip from a 2.5 hour Joe Rogan episode (#1356) with Sturgill and his band. He's been a guest quite a few times on the show.
    I've already watched the film a couple of times, and will watch again soon. That album was recorded in 2017, but the film took some time to produce and release..... so, hopefully another new album is close to being released..... unless he wants to animate that one as well, which I would not be opposed to.

Oh.... I started Daybreak last night. So far, so good.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

hrm.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

The lyrics alone were probably enough. Throw in some anime tiddies, sword decapitations, head-vaporizing gunshots, general war imagery, and smoking. Spooky, evil stuff.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Huh, I wasn't sold on Cavil's look as Geralt from initial set pictures and promo material, but after the trailer I feel much better about it.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    Here's Sturgill talking about the formation of the film. This is just a small clip from a 2.5 hour Joe Rogan episode (#1356) with Sturgill and his band. He's been a guest quite a few times on the show.
    I've already watched the film a couple of times, and will watch again soon. That album was recorded in 2017, but the film took some time to produce and release..... so, hopefully another new album is close to being released..... unless he wants to animate that one as well, which I would not be opposed to.

Oh.... I started Daybreak last night. So far, so good.
    I got second row tickets for Sturgill on a presale. I have a feeling this is going to be an epic show. Wouldn't be surprised if he did the whole new record. I like this guy. Glad he didn't get sucked up into the Nashville machine.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

watch it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    That looks good. Will do.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Netflix already renewed The Witcher ahead of its premiere.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Netflix cancels Mystery Science Theater 3000
    BOO!!!

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1...ivwGGGhTkJ2EcA

Last edited by neorev; 11-27-2019 at 04:32 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Netflix cancels Mystery Science Theater 3000
    BOO!!!

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1...ivwGGGhTkJ2EcA

jonah made an instagram post yesterday that made me cry (and not just because it was set to a slowed-down version of a ben folds song that always makes me cry). i wish we had at least gotten ONE more season :'(

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finally finished watching the latest season of GLOW... I enjoyed it. Covers a lot of heavy topics... and leaves it up to our own imagination for resolution. If they do another season I'm curious to see how it unfolds.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Almost up to the last episode of The Haunting of Hill House with my partner. Does it have a decent payoff?

Loved the show up to this point!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Finally finished watching the latest season of GLOW... I enjoyed it. Covers a lot of heavy topics... and leaves it up to our own imagination for resolution. If they do another season I'm curious to see how it unfolds.
    Not if, but when. Season four has already been announced as the final season.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    jonah made an instagram post yesterday that made me cry (and not just because it was set to a slowed-down version of a ben folds song that always makes me cry). i wish we had at least gotten ONE more season :'(
    When I got laid off from the paper, I put the ipod on shuffle on the drive home, and THAT FUCKING SONG came up first out of nearly 8,000 tracks. Had to pull over because I couldn't see the road anymore.

25 years he's worked at the paper / A man's here to take him downstairs / And I'm sorry, Mr. Jones, it's time.

Fuck.