Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1325

Thread: The Netflix Thread

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ...and now more of that new Transformers series. Woohoo! Shit, I should save this for binging on a Saturday morning....

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

well, Kevin Smith can rest easy knowing his show is no longer the hated one.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

They get some good people on these things and maybe we'll get some decent adaptations that aren't this:

I mean, they got Taika on Charlie?! yes please.

Last edited by allegate; 09-22-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    We watched Nightbooks last night, and it was great a lot of fun! If you enjoy horror aimed at kids this is a decent one!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Watching this... daaaaaaaamnnnnn

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

sure, why not. I wonder though how much of this was borne out of seeing her in WandaVision and seeing she still had cache.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    we just finished episode 7 of Squid Game. So far this show has tension in spades and is constantly doing interesting things.

Spoiler: the most incredible thing so far has been how horrible the English voice actors are. poor dialogue, poor acting, poor delivery, every single part of their scenes feels like something from a really bad 80s movie. like a full five minutes of terribly-acted exposition. wow.

though the implied subplot of what/who they are is interesting from a 1% perspective.

will finish the last two episodes tomorrow. Spoiler: I have an idea who is 'missing' but it's just conjecture. I mean don't see a body is a trope for a reason.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I’m on episode 3 of Squid Game. It’s fun and disturbing, the acting is great (the dub is terrible)… I guess I’m just a little perplexed as to why this is so hugely popular. Don’t get me wrong; I think it’s great that it is popular, and it’s making me nostalgic for Battle Royals in a good way, with some twisted Kafka-esque stuff going on…

Maybe I’m just used to looking at the top ten on Netflix and always feeling like it’s not my thing. I wonder how this got traction and became so popular. It came out of nowhere for me.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Finished the series yesterday afternoon. This series is a lot of things and makes you feel most of them as well. still working through a lot of them, but man it's got so much heart and I put most of that on the lead, he's a walking heart on a sleeve.

I've also heard that the dub was bad but we watched it subbed. I know that even those have issues - not the least of which is they totally a word here and there - but it sufficed. I don't need it to be 100% or else, I'm not Korean and I don't expect the translators to get to you what exactly the phrasing means. Hell, I say some colloquial things that if I sat down and thought about them literally I'd have a hard time explaining to someone else so I understand completely that there are thing you don't get. Gangnam Style as an example introduced me to that concept in that the song is saying a lot but a whole lot more if you understand the references.

started Midnight Mass last night and my wife said "Spoiler: they better not hurt the cats" and then at the end of the episode she said "Spoiler: I only give them a pass because those are the worst fake cats I've ever seen". lol

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    not the least of which is they totally a word here and there
    I lol'd.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I enjoyed Squid Games. I hope they don't make a part two and just leave it at that, but I'm pretty sure they will anyways. They have some great actors.

I also finished Midnight Mass, I thought it was great too. I liked the ending. Don't want to say too much without giving it away. Do you think they're going to make a part two for this too?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    see, they could have ended SG with that last episode and made it a great one-off. Oh well, you never want to write act III for anything until you absolutely need to.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    just don't watch the stupid SNL skit making "fun" of Squid Game. It seriously ruins about 5 or so plot twists.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    just don't watch the stupid SNL skit making "fun" of Squid Game. It seriously ruins about 5 or so plot twists.
    Yeah, they pratically gave the whole thing away.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I'm surprised "You" is holding the number 1 spot on the Top 10 list for a while now - there's more people into watching that than Squid Games right now? Or everyone has seen Squid Games and on to something new already?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Watched the new Cowboy Bebop trailer.

hmm
    hmmm.....

hmmmmmm.....

I get what they are going for and I'm not sure I'll be watching it... I mean, unless the trailer isn't actually how the show works. I'll check the first episode (or at least some of it).

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    that was pretty bad but I did chuckle a bit at the won to $ conversion joke.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Yep, SG was excellent stuff. I did guess the one big plot point early, but it appears many did.

I was told to watch As the God's Will now, so there's tonight's viewing.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    a Takashi Miike film? Ok, now there's an escalation that I didn't expect. whew.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I never got into You. Seemed like more “endearing serial killer stalker” shit to me aimed at a younger audience that views the true crime angle as riveting fun.

Im always down for Takashi Miike stuff though

EDIT: I hate autocorrect… guys Takashi Miike is a well known filmmaker… stop correcting me to suggest I’m talking about Takeshita, whatever that is
    Last edited by Jinsai; 10-19-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    After finishing Squid Games, I was told by a friend to watch Alice in Boderland. He says it's similar.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I watched that trailer and it looked too...something...for me to bother watching the show proper. couldn't pin down what it was but there was just something.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I liked Alice in Borderland a lot. Possibly more than Squid Games, but it's been a while since I've watched it. It's definitely got some similarities, and I've also been recommending it to people that enjoyed Squid Games. But it's also quite a different show.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Watched the new Cowboy Bebop trailer.

hmm
    hmmm.....

hmmmmmm.....

I get what they are going for and I'm not sure I'll be watching it... I mean, unless the trailer isn't actually how the show works. I'll check the first episode (or at least some of it).
    Ooooo, I forgot they were doing this!!! Thank you for reminding me. Off to check out the trailer....
    Hmmmm.
    Hmm.
    Hmmmm..... I see now what you mean. I like that they're staying true to the comic...but yah. It depends on how the episodes compare to the trailer.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Finished all of Squid Game, and loved it in general. It really does wear its influences clearly though, to the point where some of it is practically redundant. Then again, so is everything at this point I guess.

I have seen a lot of people point out stuff it reminds them of, but I don't see enough people calling out Hostel 2 for probably being a pretty direct influence. It really does feel like Willy Wonka + Hostel 2. And that's not a bad thing.
    I actually really think Hostel 2 is an incredibly underrated horror movie, but I guess that's for a different thread.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I mean, the main character is basically a heart-on-sleeve guy and everything he does is pretty obvious so that tracks.

Spoiler: I hope S2 is outside of Korea if only because the one guy - the American, maybe? - said "Korea always has the best games" hinting there are versions of this all over the world.

I only recognized Storm Shadow out of the big cameos in the show, and even then it was because of his name more than his looks. Weird how much older he looks in this vs. those movies.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    @allegate That's a good point, that would be a cool direction to go towards (re your spoiler comment)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I watched the first 2 episodes of Alice in Borderland last night. Alright, let's see how this goes....
    The Tag game was cool.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I assumed Squid Game was some sort of mobile game. In fact, I said "FUCK Squid Game" in a rant about being sick of memes and trends.

And then I looked it up and saw the trailer