Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast

Thread: The Netflix Thread

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I'm def. going to watch this. Nostalgia reaches its apex for me when I think back to the original and me as a 5-7 year old.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The new season of David Letterman’s “My Next Guest Needs No Introduction.”

Ellen especially is a great interview. Interesting, some sad, also funny stuff.

Last edited by allegro; 06-09-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @neorev , how is it? (The Dark show)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @neorev , how is it? (The Dark show)
    I love it! One of Netflix's best shows. It is a dark (wink) and brooding show. Then I got my girl to watch it and now she is hooked too. We like to watch it in its original German with English subtitles as we hate dubbing. Cannot wait for season 2, especially after the "oh shit" ending of season 1's finale.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    i never watched Mad Men when it was broadcast. Been on binge. It's pretty good for the most part. More of a horror movie than anything else.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The French film Slack Bay is an interesting and entertaining one. It's the closest thing to a live-action Edward Gorey film that I've ever seen. Directed by Bruno Dumont, its original title is Ma Loute. It's an odd one. Really good cinematography..... the framing of the shots are nicely done.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Aggretsuko Season 2

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    i never watched Mad Men when it was broadcast. Been on binge. It's pretty good for the most part. More of a horror movie than anything else.
    Nice.

I think Mad Men might be my favorite show of all time.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Nice.

I think Mad Men might be my favorite show of all time.
    My Mom couldn’t watch that show because she realized she had some kind of PTSD from having been a secretary from right out of high school in 1956 (until she retired in 2003), that the patriarchy and sexual harassment etc. is totally factual, even watered-down from actual reality of that period.

I was in Advertising for many years, and the epic levels of drinking (also depicted in Augusten Burroughs’ “Dry”) was also factual.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-19-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    My Mom couldn’t watch that show because she realized she had some kind of PTSD from having been a secretary from right out of high school in 1956 (until she retired in 2003), that the patriarchy and sexual harassment etc. is totally factual, even watered-down from actual reality of that period.

I was in Advertising for many years, and the epic levels of drinking (also depicted in Augusten Burroughs’ “Dry”) was also factual.
    Yeah, exactly, I love that they don't try to sugar coat the time period.

And I think I mostly just love the show because it feels like one of the most subtle and "literary" tv shows ever made. I almost wonder if they'd have a hard time making this show if they were doing it today. We might still be in the "golden age of tv" or whatever, but I feel like things have already shifted somewhat, where everything has to be pretty plot driven and exciting in order to be successful. Mad Men was a show entirely focused on exploring the layers of characters, and I kinda wonder if the time for that style of TV is passing.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Good GOD, i fucking LOVE the Office. i don't get into sitcoms, pretty much AT ALL, EVER.

But, i saw some episodes of it in like 2010, when i only had a handful of channels that would come in. And, that was one of the shows i could watch after work. i enjoyed the episodes, and, when i saw it was available on netflix, i decided i'd like to see a few more episodes.
    I wound up watching the whole thing, REALLY fast. It's SO. FUCKING. GOOD.
    It's funny, yes, but what makes it great is that it has so much HEART. There's a sweetness to it. Jim and Pam's love story brought me to tears a few times.
    Also, in a way, it's sort of a soap-operatic drama, disguised as a comedy.

I fucking DREAMED about the show while i was watching it, and, have had a few dreams about it, long after i finished it.

i've heard of people being obsessed with it, and, watching it 10 times and such, and, i get it now.

It's one of my favorite shows of all time (and, it's the lone comedy on that list.)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Yeah, exactly, I love that they don't try to sugar coat the time period.

And I think I mostly just love the show because it feels like one of the most subtle and "literary" tv shows ever made. I almost wonder if they'd have a hard time making this show if they were doing it today. We might still be in the "golden age of tv" or whatever, but I feel like things have already shifted somewhat, where everything has to be pretty plot driven and exciting in order to be successful. Mad Men was a show entirely focused on exploring the layers of characters, and I kinda wonder if the time for that style of TV is passing.
    I’m totally addicted to “The Handmaid’s Tale” on Hulu and I was watching a recent interview with Elizabeth Moss and she said the same thing, that she doesn’t think there’d be a “Mad Men” now.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Good GOD, i fucking LOVE the Office.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    The organ harvest episode beginning is the best start of a a TV show of all time. Nothing can beat that!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    In less than 24hours a whole new audience will be able to see Evangelion and i cannot wait to see how people react to End Of Evangelion

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    And whilst not technically Netflix, this is the funnist thing i've read all day!

Thousands petition Netflix to cancel Amazon Prime's Good Omens

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...erry-pratchett

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    watch Rolling Thunder Revue if you have any interest. it's fantastic! the music performances are stellar (Mick Ronson!!!!), i don't think Dylan was ever better. maybe as good but not better. the documentary stuff is basically a giant prank by Dylan & Martin Scorcese. Bob is again playing with people's expectations & preconceptions. enigma is his thing & he owns it. couple of clips below. i've always loved "one more cup of coffee" as sort of a deeper cut dylan song & the version of "hard rain" takes no prisoners.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    And whilst not technically Netflix, this is the funnist thing i've read all day!

Thousands petition Netflix to cancel Amazon Prime's Good Omens

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...erry-pratchett
    is this a sign of the apocalypse?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    It's Time.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    For NGE, Netflix apparently weren't able to get the rights to Fly Me To The Moon for the ending credits for the US. This is a major bummer.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Is that just the US or worldwide for their dub? It is a pain...but i'm sure i can find a YouTube video and play that over the ending.

The war over which dub is better is RAGING on the socials. I'm just here posting sketch's i'm doing of rei and auska lol

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Is that just the US or worldwide for their dub? It is a pain...but i'm sure i can find a YouTube video and play that over the ending.

The war over which dub is better is RAGING on the socials. I'm just here posting sketch's i'm doing of rei and auska lol
    I'm not sure in other countries. Don't think the English dub is even available in Japan.It also gets worse. It's not just the credits, it's also removed from scenes in episodes 15 and 21.

Also, keep in mind each episode had different versions of Fly Me To The Moon.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 06-21-2019 at 08:27 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Ahhh OK, i will find out when i watch tonight.

Makes me wish i still have a VHS player to re-watch the ADV dub, or silly money to pick up the DVD's...

EDIT: Hold on, you can pick up the platinum collection for under £100...i'm REALLY tempted by that!
    Last edited by Haysey_Draws; 06-21-2019 at 08:49 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I binged on the first 6 episodes of EVA and, new dub issues aside, the show has aged SO FUCKING WELL! It just gets the characters and what they are going through spot on! It's been a good 15 years since i last watched it but it's just so much better then i remember (and i remember it being great!)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Good GOD, i fucking LOVE the Office. i don't get into sitcoms, pretty much AT ALL, EVER.

But, i saw some episodes of it in like 2010, when i only had a handful of channels that would come in. And, that was one of the shows i could watch after work. i enjoyed the episodes, and, when i saw it was available on netflix, i decided i'd like to see a few more episodes.
    I wound up watching the whole thing, REALLY fast. It's SO. FUCKING. GOOD.
    It's funny, yes, but what makes it great is that it has so much HEART. There's a sweetness to it. Jim and Pam's love story brought me to tears a few times.
    Also, in a way, it's sort of a soap-operatic drama, disguised as a comedy.

I fucking DREAMED about the show while i was watching it, and, have had a few dreams about it, long after i finished it.

i've heard of people being obsessed with it, and, watching it 10 times and such, and, i get it now.

It's one of my favorite shows of all time (and, it's the lone comedy on that list.)

I cant tell you how many times I've watched the series through. Years ago when it came out, I watched it in real time/bought the DVDs as they came out but I think I stopped watching after Michael left. Then, on the night that the series finale aired, I watched it and it didnt quit resonate with me. I didnt know who the new characters were, and it seemed to not have the impact it should have had on me.

Then, I rewatched the entire series for the first time, and finished it out even after Michael left and when I watched the series finale I was gutted. There is something to be said about the show. I could talk about it forever but I think that so many people connect with it because WE ALL wish we worked in a place like that, and in an environment like that. I think it is safe to say that almost all viewers of this masterpiece of a show are in some form or another living vicariously through these characters. The show has comedy, but like you mentioned above, just as much heart as well.

I've read a lot of interviews that Steve Carell gave basically saying that a reboot would be impossible because a lot of the humor they had on the show wouldn't fly today, and unfortunately I agree, given the sensitive state of well, pretty much everyone today.

Either way, this is by far one of my, IF NOT my VERY favorite show ever. I still watch it today. I told my wife that after Netflix has it pulled, we may need to finally invest in the DVDs because I cant give it up.