Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Crow

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

The Crow

Figured I might as well start a thread for all things ‘The Crow’. I’m a massive fan of the original comic series, through all the iterations and other series. Hell, I even collect the new IDW publishing stuff. Movie-wise not much needs to be said we all don’t know.

That being said, it looks like a new movie is FINALLY going to see the light of day. Yes, yes I know…Momoa bowing out last year, etc. Well it was announced today that, no joke…

Bill Skarsgard has signed on to star, Rupert Sanders will direct, and production begins in a few months.

Obviously boulder of salt and all that. Will it match the original? We all know it won’t, but it’s something. They have to know how shitty the sequels were and how much pressure there is to do this right. Hey, at least we have a thread now!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    My Crow tattoo.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    FKA Twigs is the female lead in the new film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Are we sure this isnt april fools? The date is april first, i dont trust movie announcements on april 1

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just watched the original again last night, and I still love every minute of it. This news doesn't really sound all that exciting so far.

Bill Skarsgård seems to be the only shining light from all the announcements. Rupert Sanders directed Ghost in the Shell and Snow White and the Huntsman which were both absolute stinkers, and the FKA Twigs casting just makes no sense to me.

Edward R. Pressman is co-producing that worked on all The Crow films, but I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing lulz... Hopefully I'm proved wrong, but it doesn't sound good as of now to me.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Give it a rest. One great comic/film sure has spawned a lot of shit.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I LOVED the Brandon Lee movie and watched it over and over in the late '90s and 2000s. But IMO, that was lightning in a bottle that they won't be able to replicate and it'll most likely end up like most of the other recent remakes like Robocop and Total Recall – a pale and inferior imitation of the original. There's certainly no way it'll have a soundtrack that lives up to the original; that and Lost Highway are the best soundtracks ever.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I was kind of looking forward to the dumpster fire of the Jason Momoa film.

The Crow test footage shows Jason Momoa as Eric Draven in aborted reboot

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Momoa looks perfecttt, what a shame. The more I try and picture Skarsgard with the iconic makeup on, the more it seems potentially goofy looking.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Yeah I don't care if the movie sucks or not, I just want there to be another soundtrack like the original trilogy of soundtracks. I still listen to all three of them sporadically and they all still hit so good.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Momoa looks perfecttt, what a shame. The more I try and picture Skarsgard with the iconic makeup on, the more it seems potentially goofy looking.

wrong Skarsgård brother!

Last edited by allegate; 04-06-2022 at 04:24 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

wrong Skarsgård brother!

Hah! Mind is blown! I had no idea they were all bros.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    yeah, amazing how they do - but mostly don't - look familial.
    [Stellan]Skarsgård has had a vasectomy, stating that he felt eight children was enough.

edit: took me until just now to remember the word I was going for. Familiar sounded close but not correct and familial just hit me as what I was going for.
    Last edited by allegate; 04-07-2022 at 01:28 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Post-production? So that means—barring any potential reshoots—they're done filming then, right? I wasn't aware it had actually started filming.

The love the original, but I'm still not convinced this will be any good. So far every single sequel they've made has been exponentially worse than the one that preceded it (Wicked Prayer was embarrassingly bad). The casting of Bill Skarsgård seems more appropriate than Jason Mamoa, but at the same time, the only movies I've seen him in are the It movies (and Eternals, but he's a CGI character in that) and perhaps not coincidentally, he has remarkably similar white face-paint with lines coming from his eyes. It reminds me of how Tye Sheridan was cast as a guy with a visor over his eyes in Ready Player One and as Cyclops in the last few X-Men movies.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Post-production? So that means—barring any potential reshoots—they're done filming then, right? I wasn't aware it had actually started filming.
    I have read a few articles were they say it's in "post production" which is not correct. They haven't even starting filming.

If it's a new adaptation like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, it could be good.

The sequels and TV show sucked, IMHO.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    They haven't even starting filming.
    lolwut

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I have read a few articles were they say it's in "post production" which is not correct. They haven't even starting filming.
    Ok, yeah, that's what I thought. Especially since that article mentions them getting funding for the movie with a "new financial backer," which usually (always?) has to happen before they begin filming, not during post-production. Maybe they meant "pre-production." Either way, there's a big difference between the two, so that's quite a mistake to make.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 11-04-2022 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Ok, yeah, that's what I thought. Especially since that article mentions them getting funding for the movie with a "new financial backer," which usually (always?) has to happen before they begin filming, not during post-production. Maybe they meant "pre-production." Either way, there's a big difference between the two, so that's quite a mistake to make.
    It's not. Maybe my lolwut above wasn't clear lolol.

Filming was July 13 - Sept 16 in Prague. Virtual production started in Germany, and it's currently in post-production.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Filming has already been completed.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    yeah, amazing how they do - but mostly don't - look familial.

edit: took me until just now to remember the word I was going for. Familiar sounded close but not correct and familial just hit me as what I was going for.
    For your viewing pleasure, 3 of the bros:

I've always found it hilarious how, at 6' 3", Bill is the "short" one.

I buy him as The Crow. I've seen the original movie once and I can't watch it again. Too painful.
    Last edited by marodi; 11-04-2022 at 04:37 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Filming has already been completed.
    Wow.

My apologies. I was wayyyy off.

I had no idea they even had a cast. I have heard nothing about this movie.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I watched The Crow on October 30th, as I do every year. I mean I'll check the new one out because why not? But my expectations are on the floor.

The first movie is perfect. It doesn't, and will never, need a remake.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Rupert Sanders (“Snow White and the Huntsman,” “Ghost in the Shell”) will direct the reimagining of The Crow Staring Bill Skarsgård and FKA Twigs, He spoke on his movie:

“The Crow is beautiful, dark, poetic and sometimes disturbing,” Sanders said in a statement. “It is a story of love, loss, grief and revenge. It is a great honor to revisit James O’Barr’s iconic comic and reimagine The Crow as a foreboding voice of today.”

Edward R. Pressman, who produced the original 1994 film, will produce alongside Victor Hadida, Molly Hassell and John Jencks.

“The Crow has long held an important space in my life,” Pressman said in a statement. “I believe Rupert’s vision and the script he’s developed with Zach and our great partners is going to hit home for the ‘Crow’ fan base and invigorate a new generation to O’Barr’s story of eternal love and redemption. Rupert’s vision is full of pathos and I can’t wait to see ‘The Crow’ in action and on the screen.”

Hadida added, “Bringing to a new generation this iconic property is truly exciting. I am also grateful that we are now able to realize the vision of my late brother Samuel, who was deeply committed to bringing this wonderful story to the big screen and contemporary audiences.”

Hassell added: “When Rupert approached us with his vision for the film, we saw immediately it is an exhilarating, modern story for audiences unlike anything we’ve experienced yet in cinema. Bill Skarsgård and FKA twigs are a perfect fit for that vision.”

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Alright, so the reboot was apparently screened last night, with a very reputable inside source spilling the beans as it were. Spoilers obviously, and boulder of salt as always.... though this seems legit as it's not all glowing. I'll point form it for ease of reading if you're interested. Paraphrasing but some direct quotes in here...

Spoiler:
    - Very different interpretation; only the basic premise and a few characters from the original O'Barr story.
    - 'One of the better in the franchise' though of course, we all know how shitty they all were other than the first.
    - 'Somewhat lacks the energy and style of the 1994 original.'
    - Movie is rather slow in pace, with a gritty noir tone a la 'Drive' and 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo'.
    - The best thing is the 'unbelievable, committed job of Skarsgard in the title role by a mile.'
    - Eric Draven sports a 'cropped mullet of sorts, and head to toe tattoos'.
    - Film opens with Draven 'fighting to get clean in a rehab facility. Here he meets Shelley, another resident with her own dark past.'
    - The two quickly become infatuated with each other, and break out...running off 'into a nameless city.'
    - First act focuses on their budding romance, still enjoying drugs, etc.
    - A powerful business magnate known as Mr. Roeg (Danny Huston) has connections to Shelley's past.
    - Roeg somehow (not sure if explained) is imbued with 'supernatural abilities that allow him to trade innocent souls for immortality on earth'. (woof.)
    - When Shelley bears witness to his 'sinister agenda' he sends his thugs to find and eliminate her. They obv. kill off Shelley and Eric.
    - Eric wakes up in a sort of limbo / dream state, guarded by an army of crows, and guided by a mysterious vagabond spirit.
    - The guide sets Eric on his path to return for vengeance to 'rescue Shelley's soul from Hell'.
    - He returns, unable to be killed but in a newer sort of twist, is also not a fighter. He doesn't immediately know kung fu, etc. like in the original. (i dig this.)
    - He apparently suffers brutal physical damage along the way; his healing is MUCH slower, and he DOES feel pain.
    - For the majority of the film, he doesn't bear the iconic makeup and look, until the final act (even then it's a bit different).
    - He doesn't have a crow as a constant companion either, but there are multiple throughout the movie...he has to figure out how to find his killers mostly on his own.
    - The film is apparently VERY violent when the violence occurs, though a lack of personality from the villains. 'Mostly interchangeable thugs, robbing the chaos of any emotional impact, they're just cannon fodder.'
    - Not a ton of action, with only one memorable set piece: a 'monumentally violent' showdown in an opera house.
    - The standouts are again Skarsgard, and his performance really gives a 'sense of fear and trauma...when he finally unleashes, it feels earned.'
    - FKA Twigs stands out. 'She's beautiful, sympathetic.' and 'brings a larger role than in the original film.'
    - Danny Huston is 'menacing' though obviously never touches Michael Wincott's Top Dollar.
    - Overall, the movie doesn't quite have the same emotional impact, and almost certainly won't become as iconic as the first. Cinematography and set design, costuming, etc. is 'VERY great.'
    - 'They swing for the fences here, stylistically and elsewhere, and they mostly land...but it's still fairly slow and will always be compared to the original. And it doesn't match that at all.'

So yeah. Wish there was more action, and as such a massive nerd of the franchise, I'll always nitpick it. But I'm juiced.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Seeing this, earlier today... I could not help but instantly think of Jared Leto's Joker.

This is hideous.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    His tattoos look so stupid.

In fairness, I was never going to watch this, the original is my favorite movie and will never be topped but…wow, those are some shitty tattoos.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    After reading the few people who have seen a working cut give it high praises, I was amped. I'm decidedly less amped now, sure... but I have hope. Maybe. lol

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    His tattoos look so stupid.

In fairness, I was never going to watch this, the original is my favorite movie and will never be topped but…wow, those are some shitty tattoos.
    It's the tattoo using his nipple as an eye, that is making me nauseous.