Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1322

Thread: The Netflix Thread

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Has anyone seen "As the Gods Will"? It looks like there are similarities to Squid Game, but it seems even more batshit crazy.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Anyone else been watching the series “Maid”?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

This looks a lot more sane to watch...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

not bad.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post

This looks a lot more sane to watch...
    I'm in.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished watching S2 of L.A.'s Finest... still quite like the show. Still don't like the casual corruption.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Finished Alice in Borderland last night. i found it to be more brutal than Squid Games.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    We finished Midnight Mass last night and it was interesting. I haven't seen any of his other stuff but from what I'm reading this is tame in comparison.

Hamish Linklater was just fascinating to watch. like he should win something prestigious for this, not just a horror magazine or podcast award. Give him an actual gold statue from Hollywood ffs.

I didn't like how the show ended, like literally minutes before credits that ending. The resolution up to that point was going well and then suddenly oops. I read an interview that said "oh it's supposed to be ambiguous" but also something happens that is very clear to the lore involved that happens so it can't be clear and ambiguous at the same time.

Further - and this is now going into specifics instead of generalities so spoilers - Spoiler: no one knows what a vampire is here? I don't believe you. they even show several real-world horror things like a poster for Scream and several Stephen King books that lead you to wonder, again, how they don't know what a vampire is.

The only complaint I truly had with the show was the utter length of episodes compared to the monologues that were being delivered. holy cow you'd think this was supposed to be a book or something where everyone got an internal monologue but it was moved to external for the medium.
    He conceived the idea first as a novel, then as a film script, then as a television series that he unsuccessfully pitched to various production companies (including its eventual distributor Netflix) in 2014.
    oh hey look at that.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    How do you do the spoiler black out thingy so I can respond back? lol

Hamish was definitely excellent in his acting.

Do you think there will be a part 2? I think the way it ended could make the story continue.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    (spoiler)(/spoiler) but with [] instead of (). I just highlight the offending text, click the quote button, and then copy/paste "spoiler" over "quote".

Spoiler: I don't think so just based on the fact her legs went numb again right then which is what I was alluding to. Usually in vampire lore if the head/father vampire dies the effects are felt by the others turned by their blood. It also works in reverse hence why Pruitt could tell when Riley immolated himself.

Either tell the story about "my mom wanted me to clip the birds wings" for the allegory later or don't, you can't have both be true.

It helped having read a book previously:Spoiler: The Queen of the Damned (1988) is a horror novel by American writer Anne Rice, the third in her The Vampire Chronicles series. It follows Interview with the Vampire and The Vampire Lestat. This novel is a continuation of the story that ends in a cliffhanger in The Vampire Lestat and explores the rich history and mythology of the origin of the vampires, which dates back to Ancient Egypt.

also a spoiler but funny if you've seen the show: https://static.hudo.com/images/posters/2529/share.jpg
    Last edited by allegate; 10-29-2021 at 03:07 PM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Thanks!

Ah, that makes more sense because... Spoiler: Spoiler: Not having read any of those types of books, I didn't see the series as a vampire show. I saw it more like how religion can fuck up a small town/sci-fi. So when that vampire did come into play, it didn't make sense to me that no one was freaking out (well, they were) but more like Father Hill and Bev. I think it's because the show started off all about the dude's DUI and how he was going to get better that threw me off. The series wasn't necessarily about his story.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    the show was sold to me as Lovecraftian so I was looking for the horror in the religion but couched in super out-there mysticism and what not so when the story went that way during confession I was like, "oh. I guess?"

But the bit about fervor messing them up? oh yeah, for sure. it was creepy the way it was just followed by mostly everyone.

Spoiler: Did you notice that Bev poisoned Pruitt? I mean he wasn't feeling well due to lack of blood but the actual death was her poisoning him. he was fine until he was dead/fully turned. And then she didn't want to die so hid in the hallway. and then, harkening back to Riley's mom and her "we talk about heaven but we always scrabble for another minute at the end" she tried to bury herself because she knew she was a bad person and was not going where she thought.

That was also a masterpiece performance, but villains of that sort aren't usually recognized.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Yeah, Bev was an excellent character too. Loved to hate her! haha

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Narcos: Mexico S3 came out today...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Watched the first episode of Cowboy Bebop; I enjoyed it. Interesting seeing that plot translated into live-action. No particular qualms about it... if you enjoy "Hong Kong Cinema" on the sillier side of things and a whole lot more helping of noir, well... this should be up your alley. Don't need to familiar with the anime to enjoy or make sense of it.

oh, and Narcos: Mexico S3 was well worth watching. Still love the tone of that show. I like how they left the Spoiler: surgery death incident an open question...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Watched the first episode of Cowboy Bebop; I enjoyed it. Interesting seeing that plot translated into live-action. No particular qualms about it... if you enjoy "Hong Kong Cinema" on the sillier side of things and a whole lot more helping of noir, well... this should be up your alley. Don't need to familiar with the anime to enjoy or make sense of it.
    My sister said she read reviews that were meh about it, but quite frankly I like how it seems to be devoted to the original material. Love how they stuck to the original music.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Love how they stuck to the original music.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

I love her. And thank you! This was great!

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I’m just gonna avoid the live action Cowboy Bebop thing until someone convinces me that they think it’s incredible. So far everyone is divided between “ok” and “meh.” Nobody seems thrilled, and I love Cowboy Bebop

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I’m just gonna avoid the live action Cowboy Bebop thing until someone convinces me that they think it’s incredible. So far everyone is divided between “ok” and “meh.” Nobody seems thrilled, and I love Cowboy Bebop
    I watched about half of the first episode because I very much enjoy "Hong Kong Cinema" (especially of the "heroic bloodshed" genre). As you probably guessed, it's the watered-down, American gun-fu BS. The show looks great, the show sounds great, it just feels... vapid? I'll say this though, John Cho is one hell of an actor.

Criterion Collection released all of the Once Upon A Time In China films this past week; still half-off at BN. Tsui Hark, Jet Li, wuxia.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just finished up watching Masters of the Universe - Revelation part 2 (ep. 1 - 5).

Still good. We liked it over here. Looking forward to a part 3 and the Hordak integration.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Late to the party here, obviously, but Squid Game wound up being unexpectedly amazing, after the first episode or two.
    I was expecting something like Cube, and while that's a passable movie, the microgenre has been done to death.

But yeah, we turned it on before bed last night, expecting to watch a couple of episodes, and then...well, i woke up at like 5pm.

So what do you guys think about the subtext?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I watched True Story with Kevin Hart and Wesley Snipes. With some editing and less showboating/humblebrag/fantasy-fulfillment by Hart it could have been great but honestly those things don’t drag it as much as the length of it does. Cut an hour out of it and it would be a solid three hour drama/thriller instead of a “limited series”. With the right creative force (I have no doubt that Hart had creative control over more of this then maybe he should have or would have if a writer/director with more clout was doing this) it certainly would have been that. I don’t know I liked more of it (especially Snipes, who I hope can get more prime gigs like this or better in the future) then I thought but it also undercut the sudden expectations I had of it too.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @onthewall2983 , I saw the trailer, and I'm a huge fan of Snipes.

Based on your review, I can't tell if this is "would" or "wouldn't" recommend.

How do you say? It sounds like "meh," but is it worth watching?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I’d say watch the first two episodes. Beyond that it’s still a little too soon and I’m on the fence but “meh” is the best I can do. Snipes is sterling and is pretty well all over this so that’s really the major plus of this, and Hart isn’t bad essentially playing himself so it’s not like there are any performances which drag it down for me.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Anyone watch the horror/thriller “The Whole Truth” that came out this month? Subtitled.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Late to the party here, obviously, but Squid Game wound up being unexpectedly amazing, after the first episode or two.
    I was expecting something like Cube, and while that's a passable movie, the microgenre has been done to death.

But yeah, we turned it on before bed last night, expecting to watch a couple of episodes, and then...well, i woke up at like 5pm.

So what do you guys think about the subtext?
    They could have done so much more with the Cube sequel and prequel.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Awesome discussion here about the subtext of Squid Game, that I tried to create a few posts back.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Awesome discussion here about the subtext of Squid Game, that I tried to create a few posts back.
    Don’t eat squid.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Don’t eat squid.
    It's really tasty though.