Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast

Thread: The Netflix Thread

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Watched it last night. Having read the book first the changes they made confused me. But it was still a really good movie. There were some editing choices made that were weird, like one where it was pretty clear the random thug and Charlize were standing off-frame waiting for the camera pan to do their move because it was begun in such a stilted manner. But that's just the pedant in me coming out.

Once it was over I read the second book and all goodwill is gone. He wrote it during/after the filming of the movie that he wrote and there are changes that incorporate the movie version of the story and also totally ignore it. Not going into details/spoilers but I'm let down by where the story went and how it ended to set up the third book.

It's like Highlander to Highlander 2 if only for A) the practically immortal characters and B) how dumb the sequel is.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just watched the first episode of that new Transformers series... I like the style of it.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Finally finished season one of Snowpiercer. While the first episodes left me a bit (sorry) cold, I found myself enjoying it more and more with each new episode. And yes, @allegro , I can confirm Mickey Sumner kicks all sorts of ass.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    has anyone been watching High Score? really fun documentary series about video game history. i love the way the show is stylized, especially the 16-bit(?) animated segments.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    has anyone been watching High Score? really fun documentary series about video game history. i love the way the show is stylized, especially the 16-bit(?) animated segments.
    I finished Episode 3 last night, and can't wait to watch more. Good stuff. I think I just might play some NES Classic as well.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Power Glove did the opening credits music...

A post shared by on

https://powergloveaudio.bandcamp.com

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    We finished it in 2 sittings. I absolutely loved it. Thought it was really well done and there was a lot of info in there that I had never heard about.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Finally finished season one of Snowpiercer. While the first episodes left me a bit (sorry) cold, I found myself enjoying it more and more with each new episode. And yes, @allegro , I can confirm Mickey Sumner kicks all sorts of ass.
    Woah wtf, there's a TV series?!? How does it stack up against the movie?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Woah wtf, there's a TV series?!? How does it stack up against the movie?
    Well, it takes its time to get off its ass, but, once it does, it's highly entertaining. I loved the movie, and this is almost as good (plus, I've heard it's actually closer to the comic book than the movie). Also, it has Trevor from GTA5, so that's a plus.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    I finished Episode 3 last night, and can't wait to watch more. Good stuff. I think I just might play some NES Classic as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    We finished it in 2 sittings. I absolutely loved it. Thought it was really well done and there was a lot of info in there that I had never heard about.
    i posted this in the video game thread where i was talking about it, too, but i love how many queer folks in the gaming industry they're giving voice to, who i had previously never heard of. i've been crying a lot watching it. and holy fuck do i want to play Gayblade!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

RE: High Score.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Netflix Orders a Resident Evil TV Series From Supernatural EP

"According to the reports, the series will develop in two timelines featuring the same protagonist. The first one will follow a couple of fourteen-year-old sisters who have just moved New Raccoon City. Soon enough, Jade and Billie Wesker will discover that there is more in the city than meets the eye. Even their father is concealing some dangerous dark secrets. In the second timeline, Jade is in her thirties. In a future where the T-virus has infected plenty of people and animals, she has to do what it takes to survive while the ghosts of the past are still haunting her."

https://www.comingsoon.net/horror/ne...upernatural-ep

I was excited until I read they're doing some new original story instead of just adapting the damn games. I loathe the movies. I have a great idea to adapt the games that will be able to tell the story fans want, but with a twist that does it in a unique way... someone hire me, please.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Watched Ares and the first season of Black Spot. Is there supposed to be a third season eventually?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Watched Ares and the first season of Black Spot. Is there supposed to be a third season eventually?
    how is black spot? we've had it in our list for a bit and the premise sounds really cool!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Oh man. The Challenger explosion was a moment in time for me. I was 7, and it was when I really grasped the concept of death in real time. Not "someone passed," but people die unexpectedly and instantly.

I will have to watch this.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Oh man. The Challenger explosion was a moment in time for me. I was 7, and it was when I really grasped the concept of death in real time. Not "someone passed," but people die unexpectedly and instantly.

I will have to watch this.
    I had just turned 2. I remember TWA Flight 800 being a big thing when I was young, especially since I lived on Long Island and it crashed not even 30 minutes away from where I lived. My family was having a BBQ/party with family and friends when it happened. I remember being in our pool with some friends when I heard a commotion on my patio where the parents all hung out. I got out of the pool and remember going inside and seeing the news reports. I was in high school when 9/11 happened. That was a crazy morning. Eventually left school early when my brother came and picked me up. Most kids were getting picked up early.

But I sadly learned about death and the seriousness of life when my grandfather on my mom's side suddenly died at his kitchen table. I was only 4 at the time. We moved from Brooklyn to Long Island shortly after. A year or so later, my mom tried to kill herself by taking pills. I was only 6 at the time and wasn't told much, but I knew something was wrong. My mom didn't die, but her mental state was never quite right. She could be quite vicious. A long, fucked up history that's too much to go into here. But death was something I learned about at a young age.
    Last edited by neorev; 09-03-2020 at 09:19 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    My Mom worked as an Executive Administrative Assistant at North American Rockwell, which later became Rockwell International (later bought out by Boeing) nearly the entirety of my childhood.

Although she was in Rockwell’s Automotive Division in the Detroit area, all Rockwell locations celebrated All Things Space Shuttle, because Rockwell was so heavily involved in the Shuttle. When you watch anything Space Shuttle, you see that Rockwell logo.

Just before the first Shuttle was launched in 1981, my little brother and I went to a huge launch party at the big Rockwell Automotive HQ, where they had Shuttle ice sculptures and Shuttle candy, and we each received little metal replicas of the Shuttle, complete with operating landing gear and opening cargo bay loading doors. I still have mine. I was 20 at the time.

So we’d watch EVERY Shuttle launch until it became sort of blasé, like a normal occurrence.

Until one day I was at work: my Mom by that point was no longer working for Rockwell and was at home. She called me, crying.

The fact that it was all 100% avoidable makes me so angry. The government KNEW it, they were WARNED. They rolled the fucking dice with people’s lives. Everyone needs to know the truth about this, forever. Good for Netflix. A must-see.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-04-2020 at 10:04 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    how is black spot? we've had it in our list for a bit and the premise sounds really cool!
    Season 1 is all atmosphere. It's more of a monster/murder-of-the-week show, like Hannibal or X-Files, infused with Twin Peaks. No clue where Season 2 takes the story, but the last episode of Season 1 was excellent.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I had already seen the first season of The Umbrella Academy but in anticipation of the second I re-watched it, this time with my family. It was alright? I mean, I have issues with it's pacing and the characterizations and the ending...but it's alright. The best character on the show is Five, he's great.

I read the comic after watching it the first time and I didn't like all the changes the comic made to the show. Ugh.Spoiler: (ed. note: that's sarcasm)

Anyway, we started the second season this weekend, got through two episodes. It's interesting so far, though also seems a little telegraphy so I hope they're just red herrings.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Yay! S3 of Carmen Sandiego is out...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Yay! S3 of Carmen Sandiego is out...
    where?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    forgot to mention finishing Umbrella Academy S2. It was both better and a plateau of S1's failings. They learned from the past but then doomed themselves to repeat it with some stupid decisions. S3 looks like it's skipping book 3, which is funny if you take into account the interview I read where the show runner said "I'd like to follow the books more closely".

Re-read book 1 so I could read book 2 and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. And I wrote a review on Goodreads so I know I hated it and for what reasons. I'm glad that it was made better by time but also the times it whiffed it whiffed poorly. They did a great job adapting the things that were good into the show.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Netflix cancelled S3 of GLOW... back in March they had filmed for 3 weeks before COVID-time hit and have finally decided to let it go.

I mean, I get it, but it sucks.

Still, when COVID time is over, who knows what will happen.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 10-06-2020 at 06:36 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    finally giving the Haunting of Hill House a watch. wish I had more time for tv and movies these days but alas...
    I'll try to watch an episode or two a day, then go into the new Haunting show.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Haunting of Bly Manor was pretty good. Didn't like it as much as Hill House and it kind of fell apart in the last episode but it was a good time.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Haunting of Bly Manor was pretty good. Didn't like it as much as Hill House and it kind of fell apart in the last episode but it was a good time.
    we watched the first episode last night and i really liked it. the creeping sense of dread is palpable. there were multiple parts where i was just going "uuuuuuhhhhhhhh" in fearful tension for like a full minute haha sarah was cracking up at me but it didn't make me less scared.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    we watched the first episode last night and i really liked it. the creeping sense of dread is palpable. there were multiple parts where i was just going "uuuuuuhhhhhhhh" in fearful tension for like a full minute haha sarah was cracking up at me but it didn't make me less scared.
    Completely agree, it's a slow burn scare instead of a lot of jump scares like Hill House. I definitely enjoyed Bly Manor but I don't think I'll watch it again, Hill House will be a re-watch every Halloween