Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: The Netflix Thread

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post

This just went up, and I watched it right away. Very engaging and at times disturbing doc.
    It was a pretty good documentary. Not a ton of new information for me. I do like that the film maker committment to saying that the FBI was corrupt and explaining specifically how. I recall during the trial, the public was lead to believe that Whitely was going to testify. I listened to that reporter David Boreri many days. Whitey's lawyer JW Carney has been involved in a lot of high profile trials including representing a group of sex abuse victims suing the Boston Catholic archdiocese.

The untold story related to Steven Rakes is that he was murdered by an "associate" who I believe, owed him money. They met up for a ice coffee and this guy spiked it with cyanide.

I saw the trailer for Marco Polo which is coming out soon.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    the whitey doc kinda bored me but i don't think i was in the right mood for it.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Anyone else watching Black Mirror? I had heard people raving about this show so I gave it a shot. The first two episodes are fantastic. The second two are not very good. I haven't watched the last two yet, will probably get to them this weekend but after the third and fourth episodes my enthusiasm has waned.

For those who haven't seen it, it's like a modern day version of The Twilight Zone except without any supernatural elements and focusing on how technology can have a dark side in our lives. That sounds awfully bland, I know, but the first two episodes are worth checking out. Not sure about the last two yet.
    Last edited by theruiner; 12-19-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I just watched Robot & Frank and I can't recommend it enough. Such a quirky, wonderful little film with an amazing performance from Frank Langella.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Pee-Wee's Playhouse!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    It's Such a Beautiful Day

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Ragnarok, lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Anyone else watching Black Mirror? I had heard people raving about this show so I gave it a shot. The first two episodes are fantastic. The second two are not very good. I haven't watched the last two yet, will probably get to them this weekend but after the third and fourth episodes my enthusiasm has waned.

For those who haven't seen it, it's like a modern day version of The Twilight Zone except without any supernatural elements and focusing on how technology can have a dark side in our lives. That sounds awfully bland, I know, but the first two episodes are worth checking out. Not sure about the last two yet.
    Weird, I LOVED the first one & didn't really care for the second, I just didn't understand why the cycling was a thing which threw me off. Out of the last two I liked the first one better, although much like the cycling after the "big reveal" of what's really going on it didn't seem very practical to me.

Need to track down the Christmas special as I don't know when it will be released legally here in the states.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Nick Offerman's new stand up special is pretty good (and I'm a vegetarian).

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Speaking of stand up, I watched Bill Burr's new special over the weekend (I'm Sorry You Feel That Way) and it was really funny! I wasn't crazy about the sexist jokes or the transphobic joke (really?!) but they were a small part of the special. Overall, though, it was really good. Worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by skullboy0 View Post
    Weird, I LOVED the first one & didn't really care for the second, I just didn't understand why the cycling was a thing which threw me off. Out of the last two I liked the first one better, although much like the cycling after the "big reveal" of what's really going on it didn't seem very practical to me.
    Seriously! What was the deal with the cycling? I guess it was just a gym? I don't know. The world itself didn't entirely make sense to me. Maybe it was supposed to be ambiguous and confusing in some ways, I don't know.

I just finished the 5th episode last night. It was really good until the last 15 minutes or so, which I had mixed feelings on. I would still say the episode was pretty good, but I wish the last 15 minutes had gone a different direction. So far the only episodes I really enjoyed were the first two.
    Last edited by theruiner; 12-22-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Seriously! What was the deal with the cycling? I guess it was just a gym? I don't know. The world itself didn't entirely make sense to me. Maybe it was supposed to be ambiguous and confusing in some ways, I don't know.

I just finished the 5th episode last night. It was really good until the last 15 minutes or so, which I had mixed feelings on. I would still say the episode was pretty good, but I wish the last 15 minutes had gone a different direction. So far the only episodes I really enjoyed were the first two.

I was trying to reply to this with Spoiler tags but it wasn't working on my end, this would be my first time using them, do the Spoiler tags not show for the original poster?
    Last edited by skullboy0; 12-22-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Pee-Wee's Playhouse!
    Speaking of Pee Wee, Judd Apatow is producing a NEW Pee Wee movie for Netflix!!!

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    @theruiner , and @skullboy0 , i LOVED Black Mirror and oddly enough, i thought the episodes got better rather than worse.

Somebody do me a favor and pm me if you find the xmas special

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Speaking of stand up, I watched Bill Burr's new special over the weekend (I'm Sorry You Feel That Way) and it was really funny! I wasn't crazy about the sexist jokes or the transphobic joke (really?!) but they were a small part of the special. Overall, though, it was really good. Worth watching.
    Thanks for commenting on the Bill Burr special. I love his routine, angry Boston single dude and all. He does tell the truth in a loud sort of way. The whole MMA fighting bit made me wonder what you'd think. He's point is pretty valid: for him, he can't help but see it as an unfair fight. He just can't.

Other than that - the NFL draft jokes were pretty good. His take on religion and leaving it like a curling rock made me laugh hard.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I don't see any that I really have to see: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bra...4-12-17?page=1

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Halfway through season 2 of The Fall. No one likes Gillian Anderson?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Due to being laid up on disability, I have a seemingly illegal amount of time to stare at my TV screen, so here goes:

Sons of Anarchy
    Breaking Bad
    Haven
    House
    Burn Notice
    Fringe
    Supernatural
    X-Files
    Twilight Zone
    The River (only had one season, and I dont know ANYONE that has watched it, but beware it is a found footage show like the Paranormal Activity movies were

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I got really sick this past weekend, especially on Friday and I decided to watch Bojack Horseman so I got through the whole first season and the Christmas special and gotta say I was pleasantly surprised! I am not a big fan of Will Arnett by any means but he was great and the cast was pretty awesome too. I was surprised on how serialized the show was didn't really expect that, thought it would be mostly stand alones with a loose concept. Anyways a good adult cartoon to check out if you ever need to watch anything, only 25 minute episodes so easy to binge watch.

Now getting ready for this weekend and House of Cards season 3!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Working on getting through Sebastien Junger's Restrepo. I keep on getting interrupted.

Ohmahgawd The mountains in Afghanistan is beautiful.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Working on getting through Sebastien Junger's Restrepo. I keep on getting interrupted.

I only got a bit of the way into it but really like what I've seen so far. This on the heels of having read The Outpost by Jake Tapper earlier this year it gave visual to the hell that can be fighting in that type of terrain. I'd like to finish watching it before I start in on Korengal.

Right now I've been tag-teaming between alternating episodes of Prison Break (which I had started watching about 2 years ago) to Star Trek (started through TOS, the early movies and now just started TNG...ok I'm kind of a dork with this as I'm trying to watch all available Star Trek genre in release order). Prison Break isn't too bad, it's like 24 with MacGyvers. ST:TNG is far campier than I remember (first intro of the Ferengi:good lord) but I still like it a lot.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Looks like Cartoon Network is going away March 31. Much of the time the contracts get renegotiated, but I wouldn't hold your breath for this one.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Last night I got blocked from watching because two other screens were watching two shows. Nice move Netflix, upsell me a third screen for $4 additional per month.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Last night I got blocked from watching because two other screens were watching two shows. Nice move Netflix, upsell me a third screen for $4 additional per month.
    That's weird. I got three by default. I've got one TV (which I use), one 'puter (which my dad uses) and one phone (which my friend uses). Are you using all the platforms or are you using one twice?
    Last edited by Baphomette; 03-03-2015 at 01:30 AM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    That's weird. I got three by default. I've got one TV (which I use), one 'puter (which my dad uses) and one phone (which my friend uses). Are you using all the platforms or are you using one twice?
    I believe it was two different shows going on two different 'puters. When I tried to watch a third show on my iPad, I got the notice. Hmmmmm.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I finished this and really liked it for a few reasons: It was pretty unstructured in that the story is really only the time spent with this one group of people in the Korengal valley. It wasn't dramatic like a hollywood movie, the engagements with the Taliban seemed were expected and almost casual. These kids (really) were just doing a job, the reality of immediate death of their own humanizes them both in bare emotions and steely resolve to push past the trauma. I wish more people would see this film rather than American Sniper.

I think I'll give The Red Road a look. I see that their is a second season coming in April.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Bloodline is really fucking good.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yesterday, I watched a great Lance Armstrong documentary called Stop At Nothing – surprisingly, I liked it more than The Armstrong Lie, probably because it does a better job of showing the bigger picture, and not just one guy's personal relationship with Armstrong. It's very good.

I also watched Force Majeure today, which I've been meaning to see since Edgar Wright recommended it, and it's a fine film. Highly ambiguous and pretty slow, but beautifully shot and well acted. It stealthily latches on to you.

Lastly, I started The Invisible War (a doc dealing with rape in the Armed Forces) earlier. I'm only a half hour in and it's already infuriating, but compelling, too.