Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Netflix Thread

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    This was hilarious and very entertaining.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Have i mentioned Berberian Sound Studio?
    It was DAMN good...ultra-creative David Lynch style head scratching pseudo horror movie.

Post Tenebras Lux is pretty much in the same style. I liked it a LITTLE less because it was less cohesive. It has scene after scene of "what in the HELL just happened, or "who in the fuck was THAT character, and how was he able to rip his own fucking head off! (lolz, i'm not gonna tell you if that's LITERALLY what happened...don't wanna ruin it for you.)

Beyond The Black Rainbow had some head scratching elements as well, but was more cohesive than the other two, and gains MASSIVE cool points from me because it is the...how do i say it...it was the single most "eighties retro" film i've ever seen.
    From dialogue to effects, music to the actual FILM the cameras use, it just SCREAMED late seventies-early eighties. And it was pretty damn creepy too. I reccomend it for sure.

Well, ETS Netflix Crew, good old Eleveno just found out that he has to go to jail for a month starting in the morning.
    I will talk to everyone next month.

Until then, happy streaming!!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Sorry to double post, but i'm about to go away for a little while and i had to tell you guys this.
    My gf/fiance/common law wife, whatever the hell you want to call her....my lovely mate, the love of my life...anyway, she got me watching Grey's Anatomy, and i have this to say...i hated it at first.
    But it sucks you in!

Before i knew it, i was bitching at her for watching it without me! i fucking LOVE it.

Women, many of you probably already know about this. And guys, you ARENT too cool for it!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I can't believe that show is still on TV.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i know, right? and they signed contracts for TWO MORE years!

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Just finished watching this. It was wonderful.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i wanna know if there are ANY good horror movies on netflix...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i wanna know if there are ANY good horror movies on netflix...
    Not sure if it still is but for a very long time the Lars Von Trier film Antichrist was available streaming, and some people really don't carry for it but for me it was one of the most impacting and effective horror movies I've seen in quite a while.

This is maybe more divisive but The Blair Witch Project is on there now, and it's worth seeing at least once at least for nothing else because of the influence it had and how important it was. I actually enjoy it, but different tastes and all that.

The Cabin In the Woods is an excellent anti-horror film if that makes any sense. Just watch it, if you make it through the beginning it becomes fantastic.

I really enjoyed Red State; then again I really like Kevin Smith and found it amazing to see the guy who made Dogma making a movie like Red State.

Let the Right One In is my favorite vampire movie by far.

That said a lot of those are up to personal taste, and also I just looked through their horror category for the first time in ages and holy shit did they have an influx of straight-to-DVD or what?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i fucking ADORED antichrist and let the right one in.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Canadian Netflix just got the first 2 seasons of NBC's 'Hannibal'. If you live in Canada and haven't seen it, get on it.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @kleiner352 , this is me from February

Antichrist is honestly the most fucked up thing i have ever seen. i mean REALLY. i dont get disturbed easily.
    And it's not a horror movie...more of an art film.
    Watch it at your own risk, but i thought it was amazing.
    Insanely disturbing, but SO smart too.
    I go for the disturbing and the artsy fartsy, so it was definitely my cup of tea.
    i think i posted a few more times trying to get people to watch Antichrist in this thread.
    As fucked off as it was, i can't exactly call it a horror movie. I guess that's because i see it as an "art" film, (for whatever that means...) and "art" generally transcends the horror genre.
    I'm not sure i'm using the right words here, but i think if you watched and dug it, you will kinda know what i mean.

So without giving away too much, what do you think was the deeper meaning of Antichrist. I think it was about how humanity is inherently wicked.

Well, Lorien won on netflix today. I chose "Frozen Ground," i think it was called, with Nicholas Cage and John Cusack, and believe it or not, it was pretty half ass! It was one of those "thrillers" in which the only "thrilling" parts were viscerally uncomfortable rape and torture scenes. IDK, maybe i was just in a bad mood.

She picked one called Black Butterflies that was really bad ass, about a the life of a great free spirited South African poet who was quoted in a speech by Mandela. I recommend that one.

She has been watching all these Jane Austen flicks, and judging by her rapt attention, i think they must be good (if you're in to that kind of thing, she adores the books.)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    it's hard to keep track of what's still on Netflix. They're always changing it up.

But I love horror movies, especially haunted house movies (not entirely sure why). Here's some of my favorites. Though some are a bit schlocky, I still like em.

Carrie - One of my favorite horror movies. Maybe it's not going to make you jump out of your seat, and some of the relief humor hasn't aged well, but it's just great. If you love horror movies and haven't seen Carrie, you need to.

The Inkeepers - A great modern haunted house movie that actually gets it right. Slow burn, definitely, but it's effective.

Grave Encounters - avoid the terrible sequel, this is an actually tense, captivating, and fun horror film. But seriously, don't watch the sequel. It actually screwed up my appreciation for the first movie a bit. I wish I could unsee it. Hard to believe it's made by the same people.

Cabin in the Woods - more campy comedy/satire horror than "real" horror, but I thought it was really entertaining... and I'm not sure if people who don't like horror movies would really like it much. So, I'd recommend it to someone looking for a good horror movie, because even if it's not exactly that, it's made for people like you.

Nosferatu - You've probably seen it, but if not and you're in the mood for something that goes beyond genre-defining or classic, and right into iconic territory...

Candyman - I actually think it's deeper than it seems, and if you let it get under your skin it's really creepy. Also, great score by Phillip Glass.

V/H/S/ 2 - better than the first. Some of the segments are authentically chilling and disturbing. This one actually does manage to pull off the vignette found footage thing properly, with only a couple dull misfires.

Maniac - Worth it for the soundtrack alone, and some really unsettling segments. Not perfect by any stretch, but if you're looking for a chilling, disconcerting serial killer horror movie punctuated with some shocking and disturbing moments, this does the trick. But really, the soundtrack is awesome.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - on the other hand, if you want a serial killer movie that will really fuck with your head and genuinely freak you out, there's this. It's a good movie, but I'm hesitant to recommend it too cavalierly. This movie can really upset you.

The Host - good (if a bit overrated at the time) Korean monster movie.

The Re-Animater - Brutal, quirky, and defined by a really unique sense of campy humor that still manages to build to a point that will leave an impact.

Scream - the original movie is still good. Awful sequels, and it was unfortunately the inspiration for a slew of lame vanilla teen slashers with no balls, but the original is still good, despite the weak final reveal. Still, you've probably already seen it.

Ju-On (the grudge) - the Japanese version is much more effective than the American remake. If you haven't seen a Japanese haunting/ghost movie, this is a good place to start.

Hellraiser - I still think the movie failed to translate the really profound nature of the novella (really, it's a great parable about guilt, jealousy, and how we ultimately allow these emotions to punish ourselves to achieve what we perceive to be some vague notion of satisfaction), it's still classic. Also, Pinhead is one of the greatest screen movie monsters.

Night of the Living Dead - easily one of the most essential horror films ever.

Day of the Dead - seriously underrated (and incredibly gross) sequel to Night of the Living Dead. Some of the most genuinely upsetting zombie violence ever, and if you're into extreme, elaborate gore makeup effects, this delivers

Let the Right One In - not a traditional horror movie... more of a genuinely moving drama involving vampires. You have to be in the right mood for it, but if you are, it's incredible.

Hellraiser II - Not as good as the first film, but the gore effects have aged better, and it takes a refreshing dark-fantasy spin on the concept of the original.

House on Haunted Hill - A campy, William Castle movie starring Vincent Price, and one of the most memorable. It's cheesy, ridiculous, and loaded with unintentional humorous moments. The intent is endearing, and the movie is really fun. Still, there's a reason MST3K has parodied it.

Legend of Hell House - a little rough around the edges, but I love haunted house movies, and this one is edgier than most.

Mimic - not great sci-fi monster horror, but at least it has teeth.

Existenz - not sure why Netflix has this listed in the horror section, but it's maybe Cronenberg's most underrated movie. Psychological mindfuck greatness.

11/11/11 - One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Just awful in every way. A terrible, pathetic rip off pastiche of Rosemary's Baby and The Omen. Also, one of the most hilarious movies I've ever seen. The same hack production company later released a sequel 12/12/12. I think I might check that out now...

There's also a ton of great schlocky grindhouse stuff floating around on Netflix. You can usually tell what's worth checking out if you're in that mood from the cover art.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @elevenism : I realize we might be de-railing things a bit here, but I initially was so overwhelmed by Antichrist that I found it really hard to even bother thinking about what it meant, and instead just took it as an experience and then rewatched it to sort more out. I definitely agree on the wickedness of mankind, and most of all I think beyond mankind it deals with the chaos of nature (hence "Chaos Reigns" coming from an animal, etc.), and something that I find really amazing is that unlike so many other films, where nature is shown as this serenely beautiful place, instead it's made into a nightmare of sorts. The trees ripple, there's the acorns raining down at one point, and the wife's struggle to even walk across a path all really heighten that sense of imposing fear coming from just the world around them. I think the man in the film keeps trying to find order in the chaos, but what the woman shows is that there isn't any, and that mankind is still a part of nature no matter how much we distance ourselves from it, and because of that there's always going to be that inherent chaos brought forth by ourselves. I mean, the wife seems antagonistic, but at the same time if anything she's really just embracing the world around her, and when things start . . . happening, does the natural world seem against it at all? No; even the birds start embracing it and in a way allowing it.

I definitely think there is so much beneath the surface of that film, and I myself still have had a hard time figuring out everything that I'd like to know (I know it's often been labelled as a sexist film, but at the same time it's also anti-psychiatry, etc., and I mean really, I think to say it's outwardly speaking against women is a bit of a leap to make, especially considering how many of von Trier's films center on women).

I definitely call it a horror movie because the first thing it really does is scare you, but I definitely agree about it being an art film, but then again I think that's what makes it such a good horror film to me; it doesn't treat horror as a shameful genre to be, instead it embraces it and uses it to show how much can be done with the subject of fear and malice and just the general negativity that horror focuses more on than any other genre. It actually reminds me a lot of the original Silent Hill games in terms of how much is built on psychological effects, not physical ones; the violence in it is incredibly brutal, but it's so minimal. It's the things that lead into it that make it so impacting.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    thank you for the insights, @kleiner352 .
    I certainly didn't see it as misogynistic, as we are all born of women even if we aren't women ourselves.
    but i hadn't thought about the nature symbolism, and the meaning of nature's
    "reaction."
    Good call.

Thank you so much for the list, @Jinsai !
    i've seen about half of those. I haven't seen Re-Animator, Grave Encounters, Legend of Hell House, Henry, Existenz, or 11/11/11.

I agree with you that Hellraiser is a great movie, and i think both it and the second one have stood the test of time.
    As far as living up to the source material, the Hellbound Heart is the nastiest, most disturbing, deliciously depraved little book i've ever read. The way it's written, however...it just doesn't exactly lend itself to the screen.

Have you seen the version of Nosferatu with Type O music for the soundtrack? I saw it on an old, passed around vhs tape, and good god it was awesome.

If you liked the inkeepers, there's another one by the same director called The House of the Devil. It's another slow burner. One thing i dig about it is that it's an 1980s period piece.

I saw one called Absentia for the second time last night, and i actually thought it was pretty damned good.

Oh, and Ju-On...i've seen several asian horror flicks, but haven't caught this one...the american one scared Sheap too much, (my fiancee's graff name, i'm not going to use her name anymore,) and she is scared to watch the original.

If it's still on there, S&Man is fucking DOPE (pronounced Sandman.)
    It's an actual documentary with a creepy twist.

I LOOOOOVE horror, but it has to be PERFECT, so i'm rarely ever satisfied.
    My favorites are Paranormal Activity 1 and 2, Insidious 1 and 2, The Conjuring, The Devil Inside, and Occulus.
    I feel that Paranormal set off a veritable renaissance in horror films...ghosts over gore...and i hope it continues.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    by the way, i LOVED "The Pervert's Guide To Ideology."
    It's more of a lecture than a documentary, but a highly entertaining and enlightening lecture.

Due to Sheap's recent case of Anglophilia, we happened upon a British tv show version of Robin Hood that looks very promising.

And...new episodes of Orange is the New Black!!!!

I've watched a few, and they are good, except for they don't focus on Piper, which is odd to me.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Thank you so much for the list, @Jinsai !
    i've seen about half of those. I haven't seen Re-Animator, Grave Encounters, Legend of Hell House, Henry, Existenz, or 11/11/11.
    Run out and watch Re-Animator ASAP.

Watch all those movies before 11/11/11, which I only included because it's astonishing how bad it is. It's a serious contender for "worst film I've ever seen," but it's hard to hate it because it's absolutely hilarious if you're in the mood for that sort of thing.

I feel that Paranormal set off a veritable renaissance in horror films...ghosts over gore...and i hope it continues.
    Have you seen the original version of The Haunting?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Run out and watch Re-Animator ASAP.

Have you seen the original version of The Haunting?
    i haven't seen The Haunting, but i read the book when i was pretty young...i found it to be pretty damn scary.
    I watched grave encounters, eXistenZ, and Henry, and dug those.

Oh, BTW, i caught one called Here Comes The Devil...it was genuinely creepy, for real, plus it has the unique distinction of being one of the few Mexican films i've seen.

I watched A Band Called Death last night, and it was VERY fucking moving, man. @Jinsai , as a fellow musician, i urge you to watch that one.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    the original Haunting (1963) is one of my favorite movies. It's a slow burn, and some of its spooky tropes are dated (in a way that I actually think is endearing), but it's awesome. I don't think it's on Netflix anymore, but you can rent it on Amazon streaming for a few dollars.

I'll check out that movie later today, once I get all this work done.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    1963's The Haunting was the first film to properly scare me. The scene in which Elanor realizes something else is holding her hand was a perfect creepy moment. A shame that it loses focus somewhat in the third act, however.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i remember the House (haunting? house on haunted hill, right? jesus, it was a long time ago) book scaring the shit out of me...
    "whatever walked there...walked alone."

such stark words. I'm gonna watch the movie soon.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Watched Eddie Murphy's Delirious last night. Holy shit I did not realize how homophobic and misogynistic his act was! Then I watched 48 Hours, a film I liked, the sound track helped a lot. What? Nick Nolte called Eddie Murphy "watermelon" ? The 80's weren't as evolved as I thought.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    orange is the new black
    is SO dope...so engrossing...i binge watched most of the new season.
    it sucks to wait a year for new episodes.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I finished the 2nd season today. I think House of Cards is better, but this show is certainly up to that standard.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Watched Eddie Murphy's Delirious last night. Holy shit I did not realize how homophobic and misogynistic his act was! Then I watched 48 Hours, a film I liked, the sound track helped a lot. What? Nick Nolte called Eddie Murphy "watermelon" ? The 80's weren't as evolved as I thought.
    I thought the same thing. I was pretty disappointed in what I was seeing, after having heard his specials be regarded as some of the best out there.
    I mean, maybe they're a sign of the times or something, but I didn't really find a lot of humor in what he was saying.. Well, except for the "Hey Nigger, Pay for my candy" part.. That will always be funny to me..

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i watched eddie murphy raw like ten years ago...i thought it was fucking hilarious.

and hell, we aren't that evolved in the 201x's either...
    I was watching house today and house called foreman a scarecrow and told him to go buy a watermelon farm. that shit kinda shocked me.

oh so is world war z any good? we just watched it but i fell asleep.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Netflix Thread

Raw isn't as bad as Delirious. I think Raw is also funnier than Delirious, but I saw it IN THE 80s so my opinion may be tainted by the 80s.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-18-2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: tapatalk typo

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I saw it IN THE 80s so my opinion my be tainted by the 80s.
    Hahaha! This is so true. The 80's was a weird decade for me too. I'll go back and watch TV shows from then which I thought were amazing then...yeah, not so amazing.

Been crawling my way, disc by disc (BluRay) through Game Of Thrones. I do, in a way, appreciate the pace of using Netflix DVD delivery for shows like this. I'm not sure I could do this show in "marathon format".

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I have my friend's old iPad while my laptop is being repaired, and his HBO Go is on here. I'm afraid to dive into GOT for that very reason. I am, however, using his Netflix to binge the hell out of Orange is the New Black and Dexter.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Good on Netflix:

Mimic
    spaceballs
    Orange is the new black is strangely satisfying.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

oh so is world war z any good? we just watched it but i fell asleep.
    iT WAS AMAZING.