Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Netflix Thread

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

The Netflix Thread

I did this on the facebooks for awhile, with some good results.
    I think it might work better here.
    You tell me what is good on netflix.
    I tell you what is good on netflix.
    Everyone tells everyone what is good on netflix and we all win.

So here goes. I just finished American Horror Story. It's pretty dope.

Lost is INSANELY dope.

End of Watch is one of the best movies ive ever seen.

Snow on Da Bluff is fucking mindblowing.

I didnt see a netfling thread. But if there is already such a thing, point me to it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    House of Cards and Orange is the New Black were both excellent in my opinion.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    My hair stylist was raving about Orange is the New Black, so I added streaming (again, I didn't like Netflix streaming much before). Gonna check it out.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I've been ODing on documentaries lately.

- The Art of the Steal (about the controversy surrounding the Barnes collection of paintings)
    - Head Games (about sports-associated brain injuries)
    - Moving Midway (about moving a plantation)
    - Up for Grabs (Barry Bonds' ball lawsuit)
    - Stolen (about the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum robbery)
    - Amazing Shadows (about the National Film Registry)
    - Birders (about Central Park bird watchers)

And Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I liked

Sherlock,
    Copper - only has the first season
    Fringe
    Burn Notice
    Being Human (the BBC version) - thought the premise was kind of weird but I got into it.
    Jiro Dreams of Sushi - an amazing documentary about the best sushi chef in Japan.
    Russia's Toughest Prisons was pretty interesting
    Numbers (a show about an FBI agent whose mathematics professor brother uses math to help them solve cases)

Maybe I will give Orange is the New Black a little more of a chance - I kind of lost patience in the first episode but since so many say they liked it I will give it a little more time.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Orange is the new black is awesome but it kinda had to grow on me.
    What's cool about this is what you guys are listing, i havent watched.
    so...hell yes, and thank you for the suggestions.

I'm a doc nut too...i kinda lean towards the political.

Ethos, Patriocracy...those are the only two i can think of off the top of my head. oh, and Selling God is a fucking riot.
    Conversely, Who Was Jesus is pretty damned interesting.

If you like docs, and you haven't checked out Ken Burns. He's one of the best documentarians of our time, i think. He has a newish on called The Dust Bowl (which may interest me extra because i live in the texas part of the dust bowl,) and also a pretty hot one about Prohibition.

There's also a sprawling one called The West...and the weirdest thing....his docs are SOOOO relaxing...i don't understand why they are so soothing but the just are.

I'll check out y'alls picks, and come with a better list later.

Oh. and Lost, Lost, Lost.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redshoewearer View Post
    Maybe I will give Orange is the New Black a little more of a chance - I kind of lost patience in the first episode but since so many say they liked it I will give it a little more time.
    I got to episode five or six and then got sidetracked. It's decent. Nothing special. Granted, I haven't finished the season, but that's my impression so far. It definitely feels like a TV show, which is a downside. Maybe I've been spoiled by shows like Breaking Bad and Deadwood that feel more like films, but I don't have a lot of patience for things that feel glossy and TV show like. But yeah, it's ok so far. I may or may not finish the season at some point.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    I got to episode five or six and then got sidetracked. It's decent. Nothing special. Granted, I haven't finished the season, but that's my impression so far. It definitely feels like a TV show, which is a downside. Maybe I've been spoiled by shows like Breaking Bad and Deadwood that feel more like films, but I don't have a lot of patience for things that feel glossy and TV show like. But yeah, it's ok so far. I may or may not finish the season at some point.
    Well its comedic/ takes place on a few closed sets for the most part. Its not exactly supposed to be a slick drama, but I see how some people wouldn't like it.

Once you get invested in the side characters and their backstory you sort of forget the show is about Piper. It's cool. The creator/head writer even said Piper was her trojan horse to tell stories of women she was actually interested in LOL.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Dredd is on Netflix now, one of my favorite movies from last year. It's as close as we're going to get to the action movies of the 80's like Predator and Die Hard.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
    The I.T. Crowd
    Sherlock
    Arrested Development
    The Walking Dead
    Breaking Bad
    and so many more great television programs

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The new Doug Stanhope special, Beer Hall Putsch, is pretty good. Not his finest work, but some really good, really dark stuff.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    If you're into documentaries and Star Trek, Trekkie's and Trek Nation are great documentaries. Especially for new fans of the franchise like myself.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    The Road was fucking awesome...post apocalyptic story, but to me it had lots of very deep biblical symbolism. And i dont mean after school special symbolism, i mean the cool kind that's hard to spot, that's barely there. And Viggo Mortenson would make a PERFECT roland deschain for the dark tower (if that happens in our lifetimes.)
    i heard it's happening "soon..." in 2010.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I'm making my way through Firefly for the first time thanks to Netflix.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I'm making my way through Firefly for the first time thanks to Netflix.
    is it good? i love buffy (shut up talking shit to me about it, i like girls, ok....) anyway i do, but i watched the firefly movie and didnt quite understand it so ...is the show good?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    good GOD i saw this doc called Birdmen. it's about people in like...wingsuits. it's un-fucking-believable.
    Y'all check it out, it's only 52 min.
    These people use these bird-suits to b.a.s.e. jump from like a mile up, but then they FLY for two miles or so...as close to the terrain as possible.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    is it good? i love buffy (shut up talking shit to me about it, i like girls, ok....) anyway i do, but i watched the firefly movie and didnt quite understand it so ...is the show good?
    I'm enjoying it.

And I'm not certain but I think the movie is meant to be watched after the series.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I'm enjoying it.

And I'm not certain but I think the movie is meant to be watched after the series.
    Yes, the movie comes after the series to tie up the loose ends since it got cancelled mid season. Both are excellent.

I like Luther.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Say i saw a really good movie today called Dead Man's Shoes.
    It's one of those "justifiable wrath" type movies with a lone vigilante doling out the serious punishment to a group of people who hurt someone close to him.
    Old story, but this one's REALLY worth watching if you like a taut thriller.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I don't think anyone here is gonna give you shit about loving BTVS.
    Also, once you're done watching Firefly (and rewatching Serenity [b/c you need to]), check out Done the Impossible. It's a documentary about how Firefly fans got Universal to green-light the movie after the show was cancelled.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Netfllix is good to an extent. Vudu picks up where they leave off. Vudu is my preferred Streaming service. I personally hate having a big pile of physical media. Ultraviolet and Vudu allow me to keep my collection online and stream from my PS3 or Xbox 360. Free service, I just have to buy the moves, and since I can have my ultraviolet locker linked to my vudu I have no need to pay a monthly subscription. Plus Vudu has movies up to a month before the release date(Star Trek Into Darkness etc.). Once you have a code and redeem a movie, you own it forever.

The only reason I have not canceled my Netflix subscription yet is because I have not yet finished Arrested Development.

To you folks who use this and enjoy streaming, check out Vudu. Excellent alternative. And if you want movie codes, you know where to find me

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenly_bearded View Post
    Netfllix is good to an extent. Vudu picks up where they leave off. Vudu is my preferred Streaming service. I personally hate having a big pile of physical media. Ultraviolet and Vudu allow me to keep my collection online and stream from my PS3 or Xbox 360. Free service, I just have to buy the moves, and since I can have my ultraviolet locker linked to my vudu I have no need to pay a monthly subscription. Plus Vudu has movies up to a month before the release date(Star Trek Into Darkness etc.). Once you have a code and redeem a movie, you own it forever.

The only reason I have not canceled my Netflix subscription yet is because I have not yet finished Arrested Development.

To you folks who use this and enjoy streaming, check out Vudu. Excellent alternative. And if you want movie codes, you know where to find me
    Been using Vudu on my Xbox 360 for over a year. Great service!

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    I don't think anyone here is gonna give you shit about loving BTVS.
    I was joking about people OUTSIDE of ets busting the balls of BTVS fans.
    At the same time though, when i think back to the Year Zero days, we used to give each other shit here for saying ANYTHING.
    Honestly i am so glad that the vibe at ets is more chilled out than it was 6 or 7 (good lord, i'm getting old) years ago

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    well i haven't kept this thread rolling, but i saw something that i really wanted to share.
    It's a biopic about JD Salinger, and i believe it's just called Salinger.
    He is a fucking ENIGMA like no one else. He hasn't published since 1965, has only done like one or two interviews since writing The Catcher in the Rye, but i guess the crazy fucker has been WRITING this whole time. he died in 2010 and he has shit scheduled to be released in in 2015 and 2020.
    If you ever read catcher in the rye and or franny and zooey, this shit will blow your mind.

I also saw a great one about Levon Helms of The Band...i believe it was called "Ain't in it for my Health." it was very endearing to see this guy still playing shows and smoking kush in his seventies.

So what's up, y'all, what have you seen that's good? Let me know. im fucking BORED.

Eleveno over and out.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    movie43.
    highly inappropriate and extremely funny.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Man of Tai Chi. Surprised me at how much I enjoyed it. Thought the martial arts was fantastic, and Tiger Chen is a beast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I also liked Man of Tai Chi a lot. Also I've recently watched Assault on Precinct 13 and Big Trouble in Little China, both of which were just added to Netflix. Love me some John Carpenter!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I've been working my way through Deep Space Nine. As a casual Trekkie, I haven't watched it much beforehand, but I'm really digging it. Its different than the other shows, more morally grey, and probably had a bit of influence on some other great scifi shows that came after such as Battlestar and Firefly. I can also see some of the Cardassian design influence in stuff like Halo.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    movie43.
    highly inappropriate and extremely funny.
    It wasn't until I started reading the plot summary that I realized I had just seen that a couple months ago...and didn't find it funny. I seem to recall one or two of the sketches being somewhat humorous, but the rest just seemed to be "hey, we can be inappropriate and everyone will automatically laugh" kind of humor.

edit: oh, I'm supposed to tell you what's good on Netflix now. Uhhhhhhh...The Naked Gun?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Russian Ark was recently added and it is, seriously, one of my favorite movies.

Another recommendation is The Story of Film: An Odyssey is you're a serious film buff.