Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: The Netflix Thread

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    They had to have the funeral on Halloween though?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hill House is pretty good. I rarely make it through more than an episode or two of something before giving up and I am like seven episodes in at this point. However, some of the acting is pretty terrible... not that I expect great acting from a horror show / movie.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Hill House is pretty good. I rarely make it through more than an episode or two of something before giving up and I am like seven episodes in at this point. However, some of the acting is pretty terrible... not that I expect great acting from a horror show / movie.
    i've only made it through four episodes so far (because i'm a weenie and i get scared easily) but i haven't seen any terrible acting. the kids are all great, their adult counterparts are cast perfectly, and all of the side characters seem perfectly fine. idunno, maybe my standards are lower?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i've only made it through four episodes so far (because i'm a weenie and i get scared easily) but i haven't seen any terrible acting. the kids are all great, their adult counterparts are cast perfectly, and all of the side characters seem perfectly fine. idunno, maybe my standards are lower?
    The kids are great. No complaints there. The adults, not so much. I find some of the scenes with adult Theo almost difficult to watch.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

This is a good and fun watch.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    I have no issue with the acting.

End of episode 5... holy shit!
    Episode 6, wow amazingly directed

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Luke Cage cancelled by Netflix now too. Ruthless.
    Last edited by october_midnight; 10-20-2018 at 12:44 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Had a great time with hill house but the ending is arduous and stupid. A terrible trend in modern television is endless monologuing and I think the final episode of hill house subjects us to some like 5-7 fucking monologues it's excruciating. Not the only reason it's bad

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Luke Cage cancelled by Netflix now too. Ruthless.
    Daaaaaamn. Another one bites the dust. Oh well, I can't say that I am surprised. I found most of the Marvel series felt dragged out and meandered quite a bit to their conclusions. Think they should have gone with shorter, more concise seasons to help the writing not feel so stretched thin. I was especially bored with Iron Fist, both seasons. Even Luke Cage's first season was ehh and I couldn't be bothered to finish the second. Jessica Jones season 1 started off good, but slowly lost its way and I had no interest in the second one. The first season of Daredevil was great, the second was okay. The Punisher was pretty good, but not as good as the first season of Daredevil. I found The Defenders pretty lackluster even with having all 4 heroes in it together. So honestly, I am not surprised by this. I am sure Jessica Jones is next. If those who are fans are lucky, maybe we'll see these guys one last time in a second Defenders season to tie up loose ends.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post

This is a good and fun watch.
    It’s fascinatingly brilliant!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I have no issue with the acting.

End of episode 5... holy shit!
    Episode 6, wow amazingly directed
    Yes, I felt inescapably sad after watching the end of episode 5. I've really never felt this way with ghost stories before : there are a few scary moments, but what really struck me (and still does a few days after finishing the series) is the pervasive sadness of it all, the waste of lives, the hurt and the damaged relationships... How every character has to cope with their inner scars through their loneliness touched me to a point that I could not foresee.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Stephen King describes ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ as “a work of genius”
    “I don’t usually care for this kind of revisionism, but this is great. Close to a work of genius, really. I think Shirley Jackson would approve, but who knows for sure.” - Stephen King

https://www.nme.com/news/stephen-kin...genius-2392437

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Finished Hill House on Netflix on Saturday, and while I loved it as a whole, I cant help but feel that the last episode was a Cop Out. If you havent seen it, I wont spoil anything, but I left a little disappointed.

Anyone here finish it and agree with me?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Had a great time with hill house but the ending is arduous and stupid. A terrible trend in modern television is endless monologuing and I think the final episode of hill house subjects us to some like 5-7 fucking monologues it's excruciating. Not the only reason it's bad
    Holy shit you hit the nail on the head @Wretchedest . I loved the entire thing but thought the end was a cop out and literally told someone today that the last two episodes had way too many monologues, especially from the Mom.

Other than that, I loved it, just wish I didnt leave feeling a slight bit disappointed.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Anyone checked out Apostle yet? It's from the same guy who did the Raid movies. I'd describe it as an action-horror flick. It's about Dan Stevens, who - in search of his kidnapped sister - infiltrates a weird sect lead by Michael Sheen. It's very fucking dark and strange and brutal and I liked it a lot.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    wonder why Netflix feels the need to constantly remind me that adam sandler is not funny.
    -louie

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    watching a film called The Kindergarten teacher. I'm a teacher (in middle school) so I'm curious to watch this. Only 15 mins in and I'm really interested to see why this is rated R.

it was ok. kinda what I expected it to be.
    Last edited by versusreality; 10-28-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Castlevania season 2 is pretty damn cool

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Castlevania season 2 is pretty damn cool
    thanks for the reminder...totally forgot that came out recently.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Castlevania is way better than anyone could have expected. Definitely one of the best shows in a while. Weird because the first season was so lukewarm

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Castlevania is way better than anyone could have expected. Definitely one of the best shows in a while. Weird because the first season was so lukewarm
    Really? I thought the first season was fucking stunning.

But perhaps it's because I'm a fanboy and easily amused?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Netflix has released a look at Henry Cavhil as Geralt in the Witcher TV show...it looks as i feared, like Henry Cavhil in a terrible looking wig either that or Christopher Lambert as Raiden from the Mortal Kombat movies!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Audrie and Daisy - it's a doc from 2016, but I just saw it, and good lord it was intense.
    It's about teenage girls being raped, and the stigma and aftermath of it.
    I think it's important to see.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    OK so rant time...

I originally had Netflix years ago as a means to watching Dubbed anime (chrunchyroll doesn't offer dubbed in the UK) but halfway through me watching Kill La Kill they removed it along with a load of the other anime shows so i cancelled (they then brought it back several months later)
    Anyway i got an email from PlayStation giving me 3 months Netflix for free for being a PS+ member, but i had to use the offer by the 31st Oct. Also as i'd been away from Netflix for so long they'd also offered me another free month trial, so i thought this was a good deal and a chance to finally finish Kill La Kill as its not on any other service. I signed up on the 29th Oct and got my 4 months free and re-opened my old account but i was pretty busy during that week so couldn't use it yet.
    On Nov 1st, the day after the offer expired and 3 days after i re-signed up, my account was "hacked". I dunno what security they use but getting an email saying my email login had been changed so i can no longer login rather then emailing me to CONFIRM i wanted it changed seems real fucking stupid! But anyway i had to spend an hour with their help line to fix it.
    Now for some reason they couldn't give me my account back, apparently the helpline guy "didn't have authorisation" to give me my old account back, the one with 4 months free on it, so i had to create a whole new account with a new email (even though i proved the old account was mine)...the real kicker though? They could only give me the 1 month free as "the PS offer of 3 months free had expired"...BULLSHIT!
    I find it real hard to believe my account was hacked the day after the offer expired that i had redeemed, couldn't be given back the account with the redeemed offer on it and couldn't be given the 4 months free they saw on the old account as they "didn't have authorisation"?! Another bad experience with this service i will not be subscribing too after this free month is done...oh and Kill La Kill was removed again last month and their anime section is still fucking awful...so no real loss.
    [/rant]
    Last edited by Haysey_Draws; 11-12-2018 at 04:17 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

It's the Coen brothers' latest. 10 out of 10, in my book.

It's on Netflix, and also in select theaters.
    Last edited by Findus; 11-18-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tossed Haunted on my queue.

Will report back sometime later.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Just finished watching that new Coen Brothers joint that came out on Friday. It was pretty cool, but it also kinda felt like they were just going through the motions and flailing about, imo. The second chapter especially felt a bit flimsy. I suppose that tossed off quality was intended to be part of the appeal, just them having a good time stringing together a bunch low stakes free associations on the Western genre. And I guess it was pretty fun and nice to look at here and there, but the end result is that all feels somewhat pointless and filler-y. It doesn't quite have the sense of real significance that you find in the best Coen Bros films, even their comedies. Still, I did enjoy it, even if I don't see myself coming back to it much in the future.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I don’t know why I’d never heard of it until last week, but I stumbled upon “Schitt’s Creek” with Eugene Levy, Catherine O’Hara, Daniel Levy, Chris Elliot, Annie Murphy, Sarah Levy, Emily Hampshire, and many more, and I became instantly addicted and I binge-watched four seasons of shows in four nights. And the cast is coming to the Chicago Theater in February and sold out the first night right away, so they added a second night; I got tickets for the 2nd show last night.

It took me until the fourth season to figure out that Catherine O’Hara’s Moira Rose reminds me a lot of her “Lola Heatherton” on SCTV.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-18-2018 at 06:45 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So, the sci-fi / horror account @NXonNetflix posted this...people immediately lost their shit...leading them to quickly delete the tweet. I've highlighted what people were inquiring about lol.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    So, the sci-fi / horror account @NXonNetflix posted this...people immediately lost their shit...leading them to quickly delete the tweet. I've highlighted what people were inquiring about lol.

Didn't we already know Black Mirror was due in December? They did this same thing exactly last year. Kept it secret right up until the trailer reveals in December. So I am not surprised Black Mirror is returning, expected it at the end of Dec.