Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1478

Thread: How fucked was your day?

  1. #1441
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,823
    Mentioned
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Side note: what if it's pitch black because you're trying to sleep? I just got a CPAP machine and the first few nights with the full-face mask was terrifying so I was switched to a nose mask instead. Not much better but at least I don't wake up clawing at my face. or with the mask in two pieces, one in each hand and no clue how that happened.
    best thing to do at that point is to actually wake up and get to a calm place before you try falling back to sleep. at least that's been my experience. if i just lay there, i feel more panicked and trapped.

  2. #1442
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    today's "fun": chemo, injections in both knees as test to see if i need knee surgery or spine surgery (again & eek!), 2+ hours of hell commuting to doc's. it's shaping up to be a peach.

  3. #1443
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    3,442
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    best thing to do at that point is to actually wake up and get to a calm place before you try falling back to sleep. at least that's been my experience. if i just lay there, i feel more panicked and trapped.
    It didn't help that the guy told me "you have to use it for at least four hours a night for the first month or we'll take it back" so I was forcing myself to keep it on and that didn't help either. It felt like being waterboarded by air* and the guy said I couldn't take it off so it was a literal struggle to keep it on. Like my legs were thrashing on the bed. All I can say is that I'm glad we have separate beds.**

    * turns out the pressure was a 5-20 variance and the machine would ramp up to what was necessary but I was told it should never get to the 20 unless it was really bad. I looked at the display and it said 17.7 but I was awake and those numbers should be in the 5-7 range. I called the sleep people and they said "oh you saw it wrong" but they looked at the reports (it has a modem built in so it's a little big brother telling on me) and said wow let's bring it down to 15.

    ** long story short we had to get separate beds because she needs an adjustable bed for sleeping due to pain management. she's very practicable like that as she didn't want me to be forced to adjust my sleeping due to her.

  4. #1444
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12,372
    Mentioned
    841 Post(s)
    @allegate So the thing that’s supposed to be helping with your sleep problems is making your sleep worse. I swear, it seems like 80% of the population over a certain age is on that CPAP shit and I’m sensing some conspiracy.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-16-2020 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Typo SENSING

  5. #1445
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,823
    Mentioned
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    It didn't help that the guy told me "you have to use it for at least four hours a night for the first month or we'll take it back" so I was forcing myself to keep it on and that didn't help either. It felt like being waterboarded by air* and the guy said I couldn't take it off so it was a literal struggle to keep it on. Like my legs were thrashing on the bed. All I can say is that I'm glad we have separate beds.**

    * turns out the pressure was a 5-20 variance and the machine would ramp up to what was necessary but I was told it should never get to the 20 unless it was really bad. I looked at the display and it said 17.7 but I was awake and those numbers should be in the 5-7 range. I called the sleep people and they said "oh you saw it wrong" but they looked at the reports (it has a modem built in so it's a little big brother telling on me) and said wow let's bring it down to 15.

    ** long story short we had to get separate beds because she needs an adjustable bed for sleeping due to pain management. she's very practicable like that as she didn't want me to be forced to adjust my sleeping due to her.
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    @allegate So the thing that’s supposed to be helping with your sleep problems is making your sleep worse. I swear, it seems like 80% of the population over a certain age is on that CPAP shit and I’m sending some conspiracy.
    don't know if y'all remember but when i tried to get an APAP machine (CPAP is constant airflow, APAP is supposed to adjust based on its sensor data regarding your breathing) after doing a sleep study, i had the most terrifying and horrible night of sleep i've ever gotten, the thing gave me the worst migraine i've ever had, and i told them i refused to use it. thankfully, my apnea is positional (so i trained myself to stop sleeping on my back) and my insomnia was (mostly) cleared up by the meds i take for bi-polar 2 / borderline. i got lucky. but a lot of people have SERIOUS issues with those machines, and i understand why. they're an extremely imperfect science.

  6. #1446
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12,372
    Mentioned
    841 Post(s)
    G and I had been curious about getting an RV and traveling the country, like a cute little lightweight one that we could hook up to our Honda Passport. We look at them online and we went to the huge RV show for the 2nd time last February in Rosemont.

    And most of these RVs are now including these shelves and power outlets next to each side of the beds for ... CPAPS!!!

    Wtf.

    Figured out, on my own, that I have the same as you, @eversonpoe - positional. If I sleep on my sides, I sleep great, but on my back it’s like asthma. I also have different pillows that help. I ain’t hooking myself up to no damned oxygen tank that can kill me if I don’t clean it properly. I now use low-dose melatonin and I’m sleeping great.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-16-2020 at 03:05 PM.

  7. #1447
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    3,442
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Well I wasn't worried about getting sick from it, so thanks for that! lol

    You mention RVs: the place I picked it up from was also advertising batteries for when you go camping.

  8. #1448
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12,372
    Mentioned
    841 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    you mention rvs: The place i picked it up from was also advertising batteries for when you go camping.
    You SEEEEEEEE!?!?

  9. #1449
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,511
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Well, I just had to purchase a plunger at a quarter past 11:00 PM.



    I forgot to mention there was no self-checkout.
    Last edited by Bachy; 06-20-2020 at 12:36 AM.

  10. #1450
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    562
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Guy pulled out in front of me when I was just minding my business driving. Air bag scrapes and the whole thing.
    It was a 2020 car with a 10 year warranty, and I *just* paid it off last week.

  11. #1451
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,823
    Mentioned
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Guy pulled out in front of me when I was just minding my business driving. Air bag scrapes and the whole thing.
    It was a 2020 car with a 10 year warranty, and I *just* paid it off last week.
    wow, you paid that off fast. it took us 3 years!

    are you ok???

  12. #1452
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    562
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Now that some time has passed, I have some injuries. Airbag burns mostly, and the bruises are surfacing.
    I had a car in the UK I sold pretty well + working like crazy from home with no commute...

    I'm ok, but the pain sucks.

  13. #1453
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,461
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Now that some time has passed, I have some injuries. Airbag burns mostly, and the bruises are surfacing.
    I had a car in the UK I sold pretty well + working like crazy from home with no commute...

    I'm ok, but the pain sucks.
    air bag burns hurt. i had an accident a few years ago where my thumb was burned by the air bag. the doc i saw gave me a sample of expensive burn cream because she said my insurance wouldn’t cover it since it was automobile related. so stupid!

    i hope you’re ok and i’m so sorry you have to deal with that. the over the counter burn creams do help. sending you healing vibes.

  14. #1454
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    2,155
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Well, I just had to purchase a plunger at a quarter past 11:00 PM.



    I forgot to mention there was no self-checkout.
    Did you get stuck in The 2-Hour Wal-Mart Line?

    Everything around here is still closing at 8:30-10 so if that happened, you'd need a really strong pair of gloves.

  15. #1455
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A place both wonderful and strange
    Posts
    2,471
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Friend found a kitten abandoned by his mother in a barn. He and fiancee are expecting; can't take care of him. We take him in, little orange fluffball who I named Jonesy after the cat in Alien.

    He was rough at first. We nursed him back to health. All seemed well.

    About a week ago he collapses. We bring him to the emergency vet. They resuscitate him on arrival and he spends the next four days in an incubator on IVs, slowly recovering (at great, great financial cost, natch). Comes home two days ago. Vet happy with his improvement.

    Died this morning.

  16. #1456
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,823
    Mentioned
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Friend found a kitten abandoned by his mother in a barn. He and fiancee are expecting; can't take care of him. We take him in, little orange fluffball who I named Jonesy after the cat in Alien.

    He was rough at first. We nursed him back to health. All seemed well.

    About a week ago he collapses. We bring him to the emergency vet. They resuscitate him on arrival and he spends the next four days in an incubator on IVs, slowly recovering (at great, great financial cost, natch). Comes home two days ago. Vet happy with his improvement.

    Died this morning.
    oh my goodness, i am so sorry. that sounds horrific.

  17. #1457
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    562
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    @Shadaloo That is horrible! I'm so sorry.

  18. #1458
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,937
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    My great aunt (my grandmother's sister) passed away at 4am at the age of 92. She was the last one left of that side of the family in terms of aunts/uncles. Good innings, though.

  19. #1459
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    2,155
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    My mother was attacked by a pitbull yesterday/last night, and she had her leg mauled. She was in surgery for about 4 hours, but they were able to save her leg. She got bit in 2 spots (the ankle and behind her knee), another half an inch and they said they would have had to amputate the leg because it was that close to an artery. I know this grammar and punctuation sucks, I'm sorry.

    Of course, none of the family is allowed to visit her. My stepdad was at least able to get in and be by her side for a little post-surgery, and is back with her today. Plastic surgery appointments. Fuck. She's 67, if it matters.

  20. #1460
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    3,442
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    That truly sucks, I hope she recovers well.

  21. #1461
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12,372
    Mentioned
    841 Post(s)
    @Jon , omg! That's horrible! I hope she'll be okay!

  22. #1462
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,461
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    sending love to jon and his mother.

  23. #1463
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,445
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    fuck @Jon I'm sorry, that's horrifying. I'm glad that it didn't turn out where it could have gone... I'm so sorry. That's incredibly awful.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 09-19-2020 at 10:12 PM.

  24. #1464
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,823
    Mentioned
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    My mother was attacked by a pitbull yesterday/last night, and she had her leg mauled. She was in surgery for about 4 hours, but they were able to save her leg. She got bit in 2 spots (the ankle and behind her knee), another half an inch and they said they would have had to amputate the leg because it was that close to an artery. I know this grammar and punctuation sucks, I'm sorry.

    Of course, none of the family is allowed to visit her. My stepdad was at least able to get in and be by her side for a little post-surgery, and is back with her today. Plastic surgery appointments. Fuck. She's 67, if it matters.
    fingers crossed for a quick recovery.

    and shame on whoever trained that pitbull to be vicious. i don't understand why people think it's ok to do that to animals.

  25. #1465
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    562
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    @Jon that is horrible. I'm so sorry.

  26. #1466
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    2,570
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Hoping for a speedy successful recovery, @Jon .

  27. #1467
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    2,570
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    My best friend that I wrote about a few weeks ago passed away yesterday.

    As far as I know, he was expected to recover from the cancer so I would guess he suffered some sort of complication with surgery.

    Regardless, I’m devastated. I will miss him so much.

  28. #1468
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    773
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I'm sorry to hear that :-(

  29. #1469
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,823
    Mentioned
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    My best friend that I wrote about a few weeks ago passed away yesterday.

    As far as I know, he was expected to recover from the cancer so I would guess he suffered some sort of complication with surgery.

    Regardless, I’m devastated. I will miss him so much.
    that fucking sucks, dave. i'm so sorry. <3

  30. #1470
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A place both wonderful and strange
    Posts
    2,471
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe @Magnetic

    I meant to thank you both for the commiserations. Now that I'm back here, I do so.

    And regretfully it has happened again.

    Our big shaggy black cat Nims....had feline herpesvirus his entire life, as the years passed his nasal passages became more and more blocked and runny, his eyes cloudy. He took a bad turn early this month, was okay after some antibiotics, but suddenly contracted pneumonia. Vet told us there was no guarantee even with hospitalization he'd recover. Was struggling even in his oxygen box. Even if he did pull through, his future would have been unpleasant. We made the call to let him go this evening...he was with us nine years.

    I've been up all night. Can''t sleep. took a bus rude out to get some crap-ass food in the form of a breakfast sandwich and a mocha.

    I'm finding the Watchmen soundtrack is really, really great for when you feel shitty and vaguely angry but don't want music that pulls you down and makes you feel shittier.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions